62. Guest
63. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - help with oceanfree HOB filter - [ Suggest a good filter ]
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

help with oceanfree HOB filter - [ Suggest a good filter ]
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 10:34 am Post subject: help with oceanfree HOB filter - [ Suggest a good filter ] Reply with quote

I  was  using  Oceanfree  super  series  HOB  on  my  2ft  (2*1*1)  planted  tank  ,
 It  was  running  well  till  yesterday  ,  then  yesterday  I  noticed  that  the  filter  output  is  very  low  ,  and  so  I  cleaned  up  the  filter  ,but  when  I  tried  to  take  out  the  impeller  which  is  magnetic  ,  it  was  struck  in  there  as  opposed  to  before  where  it  used  to  come  off  easily  ,  

And  now  the  thing  is  that  the  filter  is  not  working  because  the  impeller  is  jammed  

So  any  suggestions  on  how  to  make  work  again  ?

thanks  in  advance

Last edited by nbj12345 on Wed Sep 04, 2013 5:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 11:42 am Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

If  there  is  no  way  to  get  this  run  again  then  ,  which  other  filters  can  I  consider  for  my  2ft  planted  tank  with  mostly  tetras  and  a  lot  of  RCS  

Please  do  help  me  out  as  soon  as  possible  because  I  cane  leave  my  tank  without  a  good  filter
   Temporarily  I'm  using  an  internal  filter  which  has  really  strong  output
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

Naveen..
 Inspect  first  whether  some  thing  is  stuck  between  the  impeller  magnet  and  body  of  the  housing,  this  is  the  normal  cause  of  jamming..  or  the  impeller  shaft  (  the  steel  rod  which  is  at  the  center  of  the  impeller)  is  loose,  which  makes  the  impeller  wobble  while  rotating  which  in  turn  might  have  got  the  impeller  stuck  to  the  housing  in  awkward  position..  in  this  case  you  will  have  to  find  a  way  to  remove  the  impeller  first,  use  some  thing  like  a  small  cutting  pliers  or  nose  pliers  to  pull  it  off.  and  inspect  whether  the  shaft  is  fighting  tightly  in  side  the  housing  or  that  place  is  worn  out.  If  this  is  the  case  then  you  need  to  buy  a  new  filter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@Nidhi  

I  have  inspected  the  impeller  ,  there  is  nothing  struck  in  there  nor  the  impeller  shaft  is  loose  ,  it's  all  good  but  the  problem  is  that  75%  of  the  impeller  moves  or  fits  easily  but  the  remaining  bit  gets  a  bit  tight  to  fit  ,  in  other  words  there  is  more  friction  ,  

Ok  so  which  other  filter  can  I  opt  for  ?  

My  tank  is  getting  all  dirty  ,  have  to  change  water  almost  daily
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

If  you  were  getting  good  result  with  HOB,  then  buy  some  thing  similar  to  yours.  Or  go  for  a  Chinese  canister  filters  like  sunsun  with  flow  rate  of  500  to  700L/H  capacity.
 If  you  want  the  best  then  try  and  get  Eheim,  they  have  HOB  and  canisters.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 12:42 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

Is  it  worth  getting  a  canister  filter  for  a  15  gallon  tank  ,  because  I  read  that  canisters  are  the  best  for  planted  tanks  ,  but  spending  so  much  on  filtration  of  15  gallon  tank  ,  is  it  really  worth  ?  Because  I'm  short  on  budget  now  

How  about  using  a  fluval  c2  power  filter  hob  ,  are  they  any  good  ??  And  it  is  mentioned  that  it  comes  with  a  2  years  of  warranty  from  Hagen  ,  

How  do  this  warranty  work  out  in  actual  ,
 Anybody  Who  has  used  this  filter  please  do  help  me  out  

https://www.google.co.in/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=4&cad=rja&ved=0CDMQFjAD&url=http%3A%2F%2Fusa.hagen.com%2FAquatic%2FFiltration%2FClip-On%2F14001&ei=k9omUoLSK4Gyrge15IHIDw&usg=AFQjCNGigIUIj6H7ywH81kbNZEOLunmhbg&sig2=LSK6ZWEH1ZeRkSZos8VKKA&bvm=bv.51495398,d.bmk
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:31 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

Filtration  is  basically  converting  of  harmful  ammonia  produced  by  fish  (and  other  things)  to  nitrate  which  is  less  harmful..
 But  in  a  planted  tank  we  have  plants  which  prefer  ammonia  as  their  nitrogen  source,  so  most  of  the  ammonia  is  used  up  by  plants..  so  there  is  not  much  of  a  filtration  required  here,  But  we  need  good  flow  in  the  tank  to  make  sure  that  the  plants  get  their  food.
 Now,  in  a  non  planted  tank.  You  solely  depend  on  the  filter  for  this  nitrification  process  as  there  is  none  or  minimal  of  plants  to  consume  ammonia.  hence  you  need  a  better  filtration  in  this  type  of  set  up.
 Better  doesn't  mean  costly  filters..  just  remember  this.  Ok
bhuvaneshne
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:40 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

I  had  the  same  issue  with  OF-02.  All  I  did  was  remove  the  impeller,  clean  the  insides  (where  the  shaft  goes)  and  applied  vaseline.

Good  luck!
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@Nidhi  

Thanks  for  the  information  ,  I  opted  for  the  costly  one  because  this  oceanfree  I  have  just  used  out  for  6  months  ,  it's  already  gone  ,  it  costed  me  around  7xx  ,  so  thought  of  getting  something  reliable  which  could  keep  water  crystal  clear  and  have  a  good  flow  rate  in  the  tank  ,  but  can't  afford  a  canister  right  now  so  the  next  best  option  would  be  to  buy  a  good  hob  and  was  attracted  towards  the  fluval  one  as  it  had  many  good  Reviews  and  had  a  2  years  warranty  

So  which  are  you  using  for  your  tank  ?  It  might  help  me  out
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 1:55 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@bhuvanesh  ,  

Oh  let  me  try  out  the  Vaseline  once  ,  anyways  thanks  for  the  info  

And  how  is  the  of-2  at  cleaning  ,  does  it  keep  your  tank  water  clear  ,
 And  from  where  did  you  buy  it  

I  was  thinking  to  buy  the  of-2  if  the  current  hob  doesn't  work
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:01 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

Fluval  series  filters  are  expensive.  The  model  that  you  had  mentioned  would  cost  any  where  between  1.5  -  2K!!!
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@shelly

Yes  on  an  online  shop  it's  price  is  16xx  ,
 Is  it  worth  that  money  or  should  I  consider  getting  something  else  like  the  oceanfree  OF-02  filter  

Or  please  do  suggest  me  some  other  filter  ,  my  budget  is  2k  max.
nbj12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:28 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@bhuvanesh  

I  did  try  applying  Vaseline  ,still  it  runs  only  after  I  manually  turn  the  impeller  after  powering  it  on  ,  if  this  continues  then  I  won't  be  able  to  use  the  same  filter  

Was  it  the  same  when  you  applied  Vaseline
bhuvaneshne
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@Naveen

As  Nidhi  suggested  costly  does  not  always  mean  better.
 I  also  have  a  fluval  C2  which  is  noisy  as  hell  -  Maybe  the  one  which  I  received  was  faulty.  The  impeller  was  off  balance  and  I  had  to  hack  it  for  the  noise  to  be  bearable.

OF-02  is  a  good  filter  in  its  price  range.  Got  it  from  chennai  about  an  year  ago.
 Change  the  interal  catridge  configuration  -  Take  out  activated  carbon  and  add  more  bio  media  (Scrubber).

Regards,
 Bhuvan
bhuvaneshne
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2013 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: help with oceanfree HOB filter Reply with quote

@Naveen

Please  take  out  the  impeller  and  closely  inspect  the  shaft  and  the  housing  and  make  sure  no  foreign  materials  are  clogging  it.
 Use  torch  for  for  ease  of  inspection.

If  you  are  very  sure  that  the  impeller  is  the  culprit,  clean  it  using  a  steel  wire  or  broom  stick  (made  of  coconut).
 If  you  are  using  steel  wire,  be  careful  not  to  spoil  the  impeller  -  Do  it  at  your  own  risk  Wink
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: