50. Guest
51. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Project A: Sintex Tank Pond
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Project A: Sintex Tank Pond
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Outdoor Containers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 1:13 am Post subject: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Finally  got  some  time  this  month  to  start  by  project  to  get  a  pond  done  with  our  old  1000L  torn  down  Sintex  Tank.

Our  old  Sintex  tank  torn  down  right  in  the  center  and  managed  it  for  around  6  month  with  m-seal  sealing.  But  finally  it  was  bursted  to  a  stage  where  it  cannot  be  m-sealed  any  more  :)

Cut  down  the  sintex  tank  right  in  the  middle  to  use  the  bottom  half  of  the  tank  as  pond.

Challenges  so  far:

1.  There  were  some  more  cracks  close  to  the  existing  outlet  which  is  cause  due  to  bad  handling  by  the  plumber.  Since  he  was  thinking  it  is  going  useless,  he  did  not  care  much  on  handling  safely.  
 -  M-sealed  the  cracks  closed  to  the  outlet.  (1  full  30Rs  m-seal  gone  into  this)

2.  the  outlet  pvc  was  cut  irregularly  and  left  with  only  2-3mm  of  pvc  that  too  tapered.  so  there  is  2-3mm  pvc  in  the  top  and  non  on  the  bottom.  So  challenge  in  attaching  the  l-bow.  
 -  Attached  the  l-bow  with  pvc  solution.  But  later  M-sealed  that  joint  too.  (solution  +  lbow  =  18Rs)

Reason  for  l-bow:
 Wanted  to  make  50%  water  change  bi  weekly.  So  planned  to  have  valve  right  in  the  center.  So  I  can  just  open  the  valve  and   50%  of  the  water  will  be  out!!!  hope  it  work  in  real  time  :)

Any  way,  After  all  those  steps....  today  managed  to  do  the  leakage  test.
 Here  are  some  pics  on  that.

Couple  of  close  looks  at  the  M-seal  area!!

Leakage  Identified  and  spotting  the  exact  location!!

Nearing  full  tank!!

Full  tank!!

The  leakage  is  basically,  I  did  not  put  solution  while  clamping  the  lbow,  pipe  and  valve.  Once  I  put  the  solution  and  join  them  again,  hopefully  it  will  solve  this  small  leakage  issue.

This  is  where  the  pond  is  actually  to  be  placed.  Right  next  to  those  bricks.  Bricks  are  there  to  form  a  carpet  on  which  this  pond  will  be  placed.

Suggestion  needed.

Currently  I  am  looking  for  following  suggestions:
 1.  Do  I  need  to  have  a  filter  for  this  Pond?  
 2.  If  no  filter,  then  do  I  need  to  have  air  pump?
 3.  What  kind  of  lilly/lotus  plant  is  suitable  for  this  pond?  I  do  not  want  the  leaves  to  be  very  large  in  diameter.  Smaller  the  better.
 4.  How  to  control  algae  outbreak?  As  this  pond  will  be  directly  exposed  to  the  sunlight.
 5.  What  are  all  the  fishes  or  shrimps  recommended  to  keep  this  pond  clean?  (  I  am  really  not  fond  of  fishes  sized  more  than  2-3  inches)
 6.  Suggestion  on  any  other  plants  that  will  go  well  with  his  pond?

If  everything  goes  well,  Might  add  a  water  fall  and  an  underwater  light  Very Happy

Last edited by alman on Mon May 19, 2014 12:10 pm; edited 4 times in total
sachianu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:21 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Very  interesting  and  something  different.   Clapping
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 9:47 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Alman,  How  are  you..  been  busy  lately,  ah?
 I  think  for  filtration,  build  a  sump  kind  of  thing  using  a  fountain  pump  placed  in  the  tank..  get  a  small  drum,  fill  up  with  media  and  pump  water  from  the  tank  to  the  drum  at  the  top,  make  a  hole  at  the  bottom  and  connect  a  hose  to  get  the  out  flow  back  in  to  the  tank..  just  keep  this  drum  above  the  water  level  of  the  tank.
 And  about  the  algae,  its  inevitable  that  you  will  have  algae  because  of  the  direct  sun  light.  but  with  a  good  covering  of  leaves  from  lily  plants  and  floating  plants  it  can  be  controlled..  
 For  lily  and  other  plants  check  out  your  nearest  nursery  or  garden  supply,  or  go  check  nearby  ponds  for  semi  aquatic  plants,   Potamogetons  which  produce  floating  leaves  just  like  lily..  they  will  be  cool  addition  in  the  pond..  for  submerged  ones  Amazon,  vallisneria,  cobamba,  hygrophila  etc  will  be  good
 Since  the  water  temperature  fluctuation  will  be  too  much,  I  would  recommend  only  live  bearers  like  platy,  guppy  and  endlers..  if  you  want  shrimps,  then  our  native  rainbow  shrimp  or  ghost  shrimps  is  best..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:29 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Nidhi,  it  been  busy  10months  after  I  moved  to  chennai.  Finally  got  some  time  to  spend  on  my  hobby  Smile
 Yet  to  start  the  planted  tank.  May  be  next  month  :)

For  plants,  I  checked  my  nearest  nursery  and  he  seem  to  have  one  hybrid  lilly  blue  color.  But  he  is  not  ready  to  sell  that  one  Sad
 He  wanted  to  sell  only  after  it  produce  some  more  plants  from  that  rhizome.  So  he  asked  me  to  check  in  some  nursery  on  the  ECR  road  here  in  chennai.  Which  is  very  far  my  place  though  :(

Anyway,  got  couple  of  water  lettuce  from  him.  Hope  it  get  multiplied  soon  as  it  can.
 Planning  to  add  some  duckweed  from  the  nearest  pond.  

Its  just  the  second  day  and  I  see  the  water  already  tuned  light  greenish  :(

For  the  filter,  I  am  planning  to  visit  kolathur  to  findout  some  cheap  filter  for  pond.  Will  seem  if  that  does  not  work  out,  might  end  making  a  DIY  filter  as  you  mentioned!
Dheeraj_Dj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Alman,

The  DIY  filter  what  Nidhi  mentioned  will  work  better  than  the  pond  filter  as  you  can  always  make  a  bigger  one  to  suit  the  algae  bloom,  bio  load  etc.  Also  the  greenish  water  will  be  taken  care  once  you  add  plants..  try  adding  as  much  as  possible  initially  once  the  plants  get  adjusted  to  the  algae  bloom  would  be  taken  care  of  to  a  great  extent.  I  used  some  plants  like  Najas  indica  &  hydrilla  for  a  similar  set-up  &  the  water  condition  was  really  good

Cheers,
 Dj
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:21 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

If  you  are  then  include  a  UV  light  in  there  to  help  with  the  green  water
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  tip  DJ.
 Will  see  if  I  can  source  some   Najas  indica  &  hydrilla   in  chennai.
 And  will  work  on  the  DIY  filter!!
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Nidhi  /  DJ,

Any  Idea  on  what  should  be  the  speed  of  the  pump  I  need  to  use  on  the  DIY  filter  for  this  setup?
 I  have  one  unused  300/400L  per  hour  pump.  can  I  use  that?
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:00 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Hi  Alman,

Long  time.....  Smile  great  to  see  a  scaper  back.  
 for  filteration  sump  use  a  cement  plant  pot  lined  with  a  plastic  sheet(that  blue  one  used  for  teporary  shed)  if  needed  for  water  proofing.  You  can  doo  the  aquaponic  thing  you  had  shared  earlier.
 Get  azolla  as  the  floating  plant  it  looks  good
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2013 8:03 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  tip  Jabba!!
 Once  this  setup  is  done,  Aquaponic  is  in  the  plan!!
Dheeraj_Dj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:08 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond (In Making) Reply with quote

Alman,

I  heard  the  porur  lake  has  loads  of  Hydrilla  you  may  give  it  a  shot.  If  you  have  any  friend  travelling  from  Bangalore  to  chennai  i  can  hand  over  some  Najas  too,  I  have  loads  to  spare.  Reg  the  pump  400  lts  per  hour  is  not  bad  to  start  with.  but  it  is  pretty  less  for  that  size..  however  since  it  is  outdoor  you  may  not  need  crystal  clear  water  too..  so  its  fine  to  use  for  now  since  you  have  it  already.  If  required  you  can  opt  for  something  later.

Cheers,
 Dj
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 12:21 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond (In Making) Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  update  Dj.

I  will  start  with  the  400ltr  per  hour  for  now.  But  on  some  other  post,  I  see  people  recommend  not  to  have  the  filter  on  these  kinda  of  ponds.  They  say  loads  of  plant  will  take  care  of  algae  and  bio  load  of  the  fish.  We  just  need  to  top  up  the  evaporating  water.  
 Will  see....

And  regarding  the  plant,  Thanks  for  your  kindness.  I  found  out  loads  of  Najas  indica,  water  lilly,  lotus,  water  lettuce  and  duck  week  in  a  near  by  pond  (it  is  just  walkable  distance  from  my  place  and  its  basically  a  blocked  water  by  a  small  dam).  And  will  try  to  check  for  hydrilla  in  porur.  Again  porur  is  just  few  KM's  away  from  place!!
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:19 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond (In Making) Reply with quote

Beware  the  temperature  if  you  are  planning  to  keep  it  on  the  terrace  with  no  shade,  in  Chennai.

Regards,
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:45 am Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond (In Making) Reply with quote

Alman,
   The  filter  setup  I  told  will  actually  work  as  a  wet-dry  filtration,  which  is  very  efficient  and  doesn't  need  big  flow..  so  your  present  pump  will  work  fine.  As  Nayak  already  mentioned,  the  direct  sun  and  high  temperature  will  be  a  major  problem.  So  your  best  bet  would  be   to  give  some  shading  using  semi  aquatic  plants  which  can  be  planted  in  the  tank  but  the  leaves  will  be  above  water  level..like  reeds  and  rush  plants  which  are  commonly  found  an  a  pond  near  by.  Since  they  are  not  limited  by  the  CO2  in  the  tank,  they  are  more  efficient  than  the  submerged  ones  at  drawing  all  the  nutrition  from  the  tank.  which  will  help  in  reducing  the  algae..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
alman
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: Project A: Sintex Tank Pond (In Making) Reply with quote

Thanks  Nidhi  for  your  valuable  suggestion.
 I  do  see  some  semi  aquatic  plants  in  the  near  by  pond.  Will  try  to  get  some  from  there.
 and  on  the  filter,  as  you  suggested...I  will  go  with  the  current  pump  I  have.

Nayak,
 Thanks  for  your  thought!  I  wanted  to  check  how  long  the  direct  sun  light  hits  this  pond.  Based  on  that  will  make  a  decision.  Hope  if  the  direct  sunlight  hits  for  3-4hrs  will  not  be  a  problem?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Outdoor Containers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: