111. Guest
112. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
radjanair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi  if  you  have  that  much  amount  you  can  opt  for  ADA.   Take  experts  advise  and  start  slowly.   Patience  is  the  main  thing  you  have  to  adopt  for  this  HOBBY.   jUST  A  THOUGHT.   All  the  Best.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Arun..
 The  prices  you  have  quote  for  might  be  on  the  higher  side,  But  it  all  depends  on  the  brand  and  kind  of  stuff  you  got  quote  for..
 For  example  a  canister  with  a  certain  capacity  might  cost  Rs  8800  from  a  very  reputed  brand,  but  the  same  capacity  filter  might  be  available  at  3500  from  Chinese  make..  so,  you  see..  you  just  cant  say  plainly  a  filter  and  expect  us  to  let  you  know  whether  the  price  is  right  or  not.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:48 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Ok,  I  understand.  Sorry  for  my  ignorance.  I  didn't  get  specific  brand  name  from  the  guy  who  provided  me  that  quotation.  But  I  agree  to  your  point.
mbsanoop
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hey,

I  am  a  newbie  to  planted  aquarium  and  just  setup  my  first  planted  tank  3  weeks  back.  I  found  this  book  very  useful

http://seetharamrai.wix.com/aquabynature/profile#!__e-books/equipment-and-accessories

Hope  this  helps...

Regards,
 Sanoop
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 2:22 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi  Arun,

Welcome  to  the  club   Cheering  

I  was  so  new  to  planted  tank  couple  of  years  back  and  in  the  last  2  years  I  had  a  spent  a  lot  on  unwanted  things  esp.  due  to  impatience   and  lack  of  knowledge  Sad  Most  of  the  people  here  do  that  and  then  become  experts.
 This  hobby  is  definitely  not  difficult,  but  you  certainly  need  to  know  lot  of  things,  yes  the  list  is  really  vast.  Most  of  the  seniors  had  already  mentioned  that  previously,  just  in  one  word  you  are  trying  to  mimic  nature,  so  to  do  that  you  need  to  understand  lot  of  things.

First,  to  get  a  simple  setup  you  don't  need  to  spend  much.  Get  a  basic  20-25G  glass  tank,  it  is  not  going  to  cost  you  a  lot.
 Second,  get  a  nice  filter,  do  invest  on  this.  Because  filter  becomes  the  heart  of  your  setup.  Get  a  canister  filter(sunsun  or  dolphin),  it  will  help  you  in  a  very  long  run(5-6yrs  at  least)
 Third,  look  at  DIY  projects  for  light  setup.  As  other  mentioned  go  with  simple  CFL  setup.  Don't  go  for  high  lighting  initially  that  will  give  you  lot  of  problems.
 Fourth,  Look  at  DIY  Co2,  in  Chennai  you  will  sure  get  good  number  of  days  of  CO2.  FYI  -  I  am  running  a  2+2ltr  CO2  in  my  heavily  planted  tank,  it  runs  for  14-18days  without  any  problem
 Fifth,  Don't  spend  money  on  substrate.  First  layer  use  vermicompost  +  other  organic  and  mix  with  laterite/clay.  Then  add  any  high  CEC  substrate  as  second  layer  and  finally  river  sand.  This  will  give  you  super  rich  substrate.
 Read  about  dirt  tanks.  Many  use  the  term  its  organic  and  other  scary  words,  actually  its  not  bad  at  all,  in  nature  its  all  organic.  FYI  -  I  have  a  dirt  tank  2-3in  of  organic+Clay  as  first  layer.  Plants  are  growing  crazy  and  have  sensitive  fishes  in  my  tank  they  don't  seem  to  bother  about  organic  substrate.  The  only  issue  is  when  you  re  scape  you  disturb  the  substrate  a  lot.  Its  again  depends  on  how  you  plan  Smile
 Sixth  -  Don't  go  with  appearance  of  plants,  esp  red  plants.  Get  hardy  plants  like  anubias,fern,crypt,moss,ludwigia,rotala  and  similar  plants.  LFS  will  bill  you  more  on  these  plants,  get  plants  from  forum,  you  can  easily  get  it.
 In  Kolathur  you  can  get  everything,  but  make  sure  you  have  control  over  what  you  are  doing.
 Seventh  -  Select  community  fishes,  you  need  a  combination.  Meaning,  you  need  fishes  to  ensure  algae  is  eaten,  you  need  fish  to  eat  left  over  food,  you  need  fishes  for  visual  appearance..the  list  goes.  So  the  idea  is  you  need  to  mimic  nature's  balancing  strategy.  Ex  :  Neon  tetra  for  visual  appearance/schooling  behavior,Otos  to  eat  algae,  Platy/Guppies  to  eat  algae/dead  plants/left  over  food...

My  best  guess  is  all  of  these  will  not  cost  you  more  than  5000INR  or  probably  a  1000  more.  Canister  will  be  your  biggest  investment.

PM  if  you  need  more  information.

Regards
 Gokul
anilsharma2001
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 10:07 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi  Wads  ,

Please  explain  more  about  the  point  on  "  do  not  put  the  aeration  tube  while  the  lights  and  the  filter  is  on.

Thanks  and  regards,
 Anil
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2013 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hey  Anil  -  The  purpose  of  turning  on  aeration  tube  after  lights  off  is  to  ensure  CO2  levels  not  to  go  beyond  dangerous  levels(>30PPM).  Although  at  this  level  plants  will  enjoy  CO2  more,  but  fishes  will  slowly  suffocate  and  die.  This  is  just  a  precautionary  measure.

Its  necessary  in  case  of  heavily  planted  tank,  during  night  plants/fish  both  exhale  CO2,  so  if  you  don't  have  aeration  turned  on,  more  CO2  will  get  dissolved  in  water.  Aeration  will  release  more  CO2  from  water  column  due  surface  agitation.
avip04
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:19 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

I  started  my  30l  test  tank  3  months  back,  it  was  a  dirted  tank  layered  with  gravel,  (sand  maybe  better).  Used  diy  co2  with  a  small  internal  power  filter  (make  sure  theres  not  too  much  co2  put  into  the  tank)  and  two  20w  cfl  for  lights,  had  algae  problems,   but  worked.  Made  lot  of  mistakes,  still  am   Very Happy  dont  spend  too  much  if  you  are  just  starting,  because  if  thers  any  problem  ,(  there  will  be)  it  might  be  a  lot  more  pain.  If  you  are  going  for  dirted  tanks,  beware  of  anaerobic  spots,  they  are  your  worst  nightmare.  The  tank  may  look  great  from  the  outside,  but  under  the  soil,  theres  a  toxic  dump  in  the  making.  But  the  plants  (algae  too  Thumb Down  )  grow  like  crazy  in  the  dirted  tank  because  of  the  high  nutrient  content.   Thumb Up   look  up  diana  walstad  method.   Sorry  about  the  sentence  formation.
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2013 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Ok  Friends,

Finally  I  took  the  plunge  because  of  you  fellow  enthusiast   Smile  .  Now  I  got  a  basic  2ft  tank.  Trying  to  set  things  up  and  warming  up.  Did  a  pilot  run  by  adding  substrate  and  drift  wood  and  seems  I  did  a  mistake.  My  eyes  says  that  this  tank  is  holding  too  much  of  substrate  than  it  is  supposed  to.  Measured  it  and  it  stands  whopping  3  inches.  Water  is  still  cloudy  (may  be  because  of  too  much  dust  in  the  substrate?   Surprised  )   And  secondly  the  intake  pipe  is  submerged  inside  the  substrate.  I  hope  that  might  cause  flow  issues  for  external  canister  filter.  Please  share  your  thoughts  and  suggestions.

Thanks,
 Arun
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:10 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hi  arun,

You  washed  the  substrate  before  putting  it  in  the  tank  right?  If  not  you  may  have  to  remove  it  and  clean  it  again.
 If  you  have  already  washed  it,  then  dont  worry,  the  white  cloudy  water  is  common  and  you  should  have  a  clear  water  in  a  couple  of  days,  if  the  filter  is  run  24x7.  
 As  per  the  substrate  quantity,  3  in.  depth  is  fine.  Search  online  for  aquarium  substrate  calculator,  you  will  get  the  idea.
 If  the  intake  pipe  is  inside  the  gravel,  the  filter  will  be  very  inefficient.  You  must  either  reduce  the  length  of  the  intake  pipe  or  reduce  the  depth  of  the  substrate,  I  suggest  the  former.
DEEPAK22
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 12:21 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hey  Arun,

If  you  leave  the  intake  pipe  submerged  inside  the  substrate  it'll  get  clogged  for  sure.
 Make  sure  its  above  the  substrate.
 Why  don't  you  post  a  picture  of  your  tank?  So  we  can  help  you  out  better.  Smile  

Regards  
 Deepak
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 9:12 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

I  didn't  clean  the  substrate.  But  if  I  do  it  now  I  think  it  will  be  difficult  as  I  have  also  laid  a  black  soil  on  top.  And  also  unable  to  upload  the  pic.  Error  is  thrown  while  attaching  "Could  not  upload  Attachment  to  ./modules/Forums/files/initial_setup_401.jpg"
DEEPAK22
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

You'll  have  to  first  upload  the  pictures  on  imageshack.com  then  you  can  post  the  image  by  clicking  on  insert  image  and  then  pasting  the  direct  link  for  the  image.

Regards  
 Deepak
GokulK
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:50 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Hey  arun  -  what  substrate  do  you  have?  Diff  layers?  You  should  not  leave  the  filter  intake  under  the  substrate  level.  Intake  should  be  above  substrate.  Hope  you  didn't  damage  canister  impellor.
arun_chak
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:08 am Post subject: Re: Newbie to Planted Aquarium - Need Advice Reply with quote

Uploaded  the  pic  of  my  first  planted  tank.  Picture  speaks  1000  words   Very Happy  

Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: