84. Guest
85. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,758

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 7:37 pm Post subject: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

I  am  trying  to  breed  convict  cichlids  in  a  50  lts  aquarium  with  sand  bottom  caves  ,  two  filters  of  400  lts/hr  turnaround  .  

The  problem  I  face  when  I  introduced  male  and  female  (2.5  inch)  was  that  the  male  was  agresively  attacking  the  female.

I  then  made  a  penalty  box  i.e.  a  highly  perforated  transparent  plastic  mug  which  is  inside  the  aquarium  and  put  the  male  in  it.  I  read  about  this  on  a  forum  where  such  a  trouble  was  being  faced  for  breeding  salvini  .  The  breeder  put  the  male  in  the  box  for  a  month  and  the  behaviour  got  alright.

I  would  appreciate  your  inputs  regarding  how  to  get  them  to  breed  as  I  heard  they  are  really  fecund.
jenkins
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2014 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

hi.  though  I  don't  have  experience  breeding  convicts,   I've  bred  rams  quite  a  few  times.   I  normally  condition  the  female  with  live  food  in  a  separate  breeding  tank  (planted).  I  don't  know  if  planted  tanks  work  with  convicts  as  they  might  uproot  the  plants.  you  might  as  well  try  using  tall  plastic  plants  to  break  the  line  of  sight.   introduce  dither  fish.  i  use  danio  (zebra  fish).  once  the  female  establishes  It's  territory  which  might  take  up  to  a  week,  introduce  the  male.   do  a  partial  water  change  the  next  evening.  your  fish  should  breed.  
 in  short.
 1.  condition  female  (make  it  look  sexy)  .
 2.  add  dither  fish  and  tall  plastic  plants.
 3.  let  fish  establish  territory.
 4.  introduce  male.
 5.  water  change.
 hope  it  helps.
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 12, 2014 7:55 am Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

I  am  not  sure  about  dither  fish  as  I  think  the  convicts  would  tear  them  apart.  Right  now  due  to  shortages  of  aquariums  the  male  is  in  the  penalty  box  in  the  same  aquarium.
jenkins
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:32 am Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

<<What>>

QUOTED  FROM  :
 http://fish-etc.com/fish/cichlids/reducing-aggression-in-the-cichlid-aquarium
jenkins
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:35 am Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

What  is  a  target  fish?  The  ideal
 target  fish  is  hardy,  built-like-a-
 tank,  fast  and  agile,  and  somewhat
 expendible  (should  they  ever  get
 caught  by  the  aggressor…well,  you
 get  the  picture.)  The  role  of  the
 target  fish  is  to  act  as  a  decoy  in
 the  tank  to  help  vent  both
 territorial  and  breeding  aggression.
 Since  the  average  target  fish  is
 faster  than  any  of  the  Cichlid  tank
 mates,  it  can  better  deal  with  high-
 speed  chases  and  will  more  likely
 escape  without  harm.  A  side  benefit
 of  using  target  fish  is  that  it  gives
 the  usually  dominant  male  of  a
 breeding  pair  a  diversion  and  thus
 keeps  his  spouse  from  taking  the
 brunt  of  the  male’s  territorial  (and
 sexual)  frustrations.  Target  fish  will
 also  induce  better  fry-defense,  in
 those  species  that  offer  it.
 Commonly  used  target  fish  include
 zebra  danios  (and  the  larger  Giant
 and  Pearl  Danios  with  larger
 Cichlids)  and  Australian
 rainbowfish.  These  fish  are
 generally  readily  available,
 reasonable  in  price,  and  very
 efficient  swimmers.  They  are  also
 very  adaptable  in  terms  of  water
 conditions,  so  they  can  be  used  in
 a  broad  range  of  Cichlid  biotopes,
 both  from  Africa  and  South
 America.

QUOTED  FROM  :
 http://fish-etc.com/fish/cichlids/reducing-aggression-in-the-cichlid-aquarium
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:39 pm Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

@  Jenkins  thanks  for   your  suggestion  .  Will  look  into  it  .  

Anymore  suggestions?
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

Hi  elimoses3,

I  kept  Convict  more  than  year.  At  first  I  kept  the  with  other  fishes  (Like  dani,  Platty,  etc.)  but  within
 few  days  all  are  dead  except  the  pair.

Then  I  kept  only  the  pair  with  sand  substrate  with  lots  of  rocks  cave.  Female  is  bit  shorter  and  bit  reddish  belly.  They  breed  5-6  times.  every  batch  70-120  fry.  But  when  they  start  to  grow  the  main  pair  start  to  kill  them.  I  didn't  understand  that  time.  I  lost  all  from  1st  batch.  Now  for  second  batch  again  same  happening.  Then  I  seperate  the  fry  and  after  that  within  2-3  days  they  produce  another  bach.  

Now  in  other  tank  fry  is  getting  bigger  and  the  biggest  one  start  killing  other  small  babies.  At  last  only  3  left.  Horrible  experience.  At  last  I  gave  them  all  to  my  local  LFS.  

They  are  too  much  aggressive.

Check  the  following  link  :

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=23293&highlight=convict
sssram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 16, 2014 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

About  three  months  ago  I  introduced  6  no  of  Convicts  in  the  tank,  a  sand  and  rock  bottom  with  caves.  I  had  to  go  outstation  on  the  next  day.  When  I  returned  on  the  third  day  I  found  eggs  on  the  side  of  a  big  rock  and  the  pair  keeping  close  watch  over  them.  The  other  four  were  hiding.  Next  day  I  found  two  of  them  dead  and  I  quickly  removed  them  and  put  them  in  a  different  tank.  Subsequently  they  also  died  in  a  few  days.  
 Meanwhile  the  parents  made  a  underground  cave  beneath  a  rock  and  the  female  shifted  all  her  eggs  there.  Next  four  days  the  female  was  guarding  the  cave  entrance  and  the  male  circling  around.  I  was  wondering  what  is  happening  since  the  eggs  are  hidden.  Suddenly  the  next  that  I  could  see  the  babies  around  40/50  swimming.  It  very  fascinating  to  see  the  parents  bring  up  the  babies  and  guard  them.  I  was  feeding  micro-worm  initially  and  soon  in  about  two  weeks  they  started  feeding  on  regular  powdered  pellets.  I  think  almost  all  the  fries  survived.  The  parents  never  attacked  them.  
 A  month  back  I  shifted  all  the  fries  in  another  tank  and  they  are  about  half  an  inch.  Some  are  grown  big  while  some  have  not  grown  much.  
 Now  the  pair  has  laid  eggs  again  in  a  cave  and  they  are  guarding  the  same.  Hopefully  I  can  see  the  fries  in  a  few  days.

TO:  elimoses3
   I  have  a  fundamental  doubt  whether  they  are  a  male  and  female  pair.  The  female  will  have  a  pinkish  tint  in  her  belly.  Secondly  is  there  sufficient  hiding  space  and  space  to  make  caves  and  digging.
 As  suggested  a  Target  fish  may  be  a  good  idea  but  be  prepared  to  loose  it.

sssram
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 12:59 am Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

I  do  not  think  they  are  ready  to  pair,  put  a  partition  in  the  tank  or  male  will  kill  the  female.
humaid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 11:25 am Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

Add  a  ditcher  fish.  It  really  helps  to  bond  them.  Do  not  expect  the  ditcher  to  survive  though.
 second  option  would  be  to  get  at  least  6  convicts  and  let  them  pair  as  they  grow.  Later  you  can  get  rid  of  the  extras.

Regards,
elimoses3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2014 6:36 pm Post subject: Re: CONVICT CICHLID BREEDING TROUBLES (PENALTY BOX) Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  suggestions  .  

@  sssram  :  They  are  definitely  male  and  female.  

@  humaid:  the  tank  is  too  small  for  more  than  a  pair.

@  sandeep:  Could  be  a  possible  reason.  The  male  is  segregated  in  a  penalty  box.  The  female  is  being  conditioned  by  a  variety  of  foods  (  sadly  no  live  food).  

Will  release  the  male  after  a  while  and  see  if  there  is  any  change  in  behaviour.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: