205. Guest
206. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,824

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fed up with Glass Crack issue :sad:
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Other Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 9:17 am Post subject: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Its  twice  in  span  of  two  months  &  this  time  its  even  worsen  stage  because  Tank  is  in  pretty  good  condition,  Plants  picked  up  growth  &  was  supposed  to  introduce  fishes  &  pressurized  CO2.
 But  all  plans  in  vein  seems  to  be.

Sharing  pictures  of  Tank,  the  crack  is  at  the  same  position  as  last  time  but  last  time  tank  was  empty  so  could  replace  it.  This  time  hell  lot  of  things  to  carry  out.  I  don't  know  what's  root  cause  of  this.  Is  it  due  to  table  on  which  its  been  kept,  Temporary  light  position  which  cause  heat  or  what  else?

Video-
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aVZLtpK86w4&feature=youtu.be

In  video  if  I  move  table  a  bit  its  causing  mid-heavy  water  movement,  so  if  this  cause?  But  the  first  planted  tank  i  had  which  was  L-18",  B-9",  H-12"  didn't  give  me  any  issues

Unfortunately  both  times  wasn't  at  home.

From  what  I  read  there's  no  solution  except  replacing  glass

Kindly  advice.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 10:16 am Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Such  a  disaster..   Crying or Very sad
 Especially  when  you  thought  the  hard  work  was  over..
 I  have  never  seen  a  glass  cracked  from  the  side  due  to  table  issues.
 some  times  its  the  sloppy  work  of  the  edge  grinding  and  the  silicon  work  is  not  good  enough.
 Glass  will  never  crack  if  it  cant  be  bent  even  if  the  glass  cutting  has  some  weakness.
 I  have  a  3  foot  tank  which  has  braces  along  the  front  and  back  glass.  once  while  I  was  scaping  accidentally  one  rock  fell  on  the  top  edge  of  the  tank  and  a  chip  of  glass  broke  off.  but  the  glass  is  still  holding  on  with  out  cracking  because  the  brace  is  preventing  the  glass  from  bending.  with  out  the  bracing,  the  damaged  glass  would  have  given  away  immediately..
 so  next  time  make  sure  the  silicon  work  is  impeccable  so  that  the  glass  wont  bend  under  pressure....

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Currently  water  is  not  leaking  but  crack  may  increase  due  to  pressure  &  as  its  Front  side  it  looks  bad  too.

Tank  walah  made  mockery  of  it  saying-  affliction  of  evil  eye...huh!!
 This  guy  made  several  of  such  tanks  why  only  me  facing  it?  Sad  
 I'm  pretty  sure  there  wasn't  any  sort  of  accidental  touch  with  glass  by  any  stuff  but  a  slight  push  to  table  as  shown  in  Video,  can  cause  such  damage?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Yes  the  crack  will  progress,  better  to  replace  the  glass  ASAP..
 And,  look  to  remedy  the  rocking  stand..  looks  pretty  unstable  and  can  be  the  cause  of  your  problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
shashank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2014 6:08 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

I  had  the  same  problem  in  my  3  footer  when  I  started  out  in  the  hobby.  I  later  found  the  reason  to  be  uneven  water  level,once  that  was  adjusted  and  braces  added,the  problem  hasn't  recurred.
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 4:49 am Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Hi,

I've  faced  this  situation  when  I  started,  because  of  which  twice  the  hall  was  spilled  with  water  when  I  wasn't  at  home  .  
 The  issue  was  due  to  the  fact  that,  the  thickness  of  glass  in  my  tank  wasn't  proportional  to  the  tank  dimensions  and  the  tank  used  to  leak  as  it  wasn't  able  to  withstand  the  water  pressure  on  the  glass.
 I'm  not  saying  that  this  is  the  issue,  but  its  worth  checking  that  as  well
 Thanks,
 Karthik
kenshi64
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2014 7:56 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

One  of  my  tanks  from  when  I  reentered  the  hobby  some  7  years  ago  had  a  crack  that  progressed  all  the  way  to  the  top,  I  fixed  it  pretty  well  with  M-seal  but  it  permanently  disfigured  the  tank,  so  refrain  from  this  technique.  Other  than  that,  I  can  understand  your  disappointment  but  it's  quick  replacement  of  the  cracked  pane!  Also  add  braces  like  Nidhi  has  suggested,  that  should  serve  well  as  a  preventive  measure.  

Drain  the  tank,  make  sure  there  isn't  too  much  swishing  around  and  take  a  blade  to  the  glass  and  replace  it!  Cutting  through  the  caulk  is  very  very  risky  stuff,  I  cut  my  finger  pretty  bad  when  doing  it,  but  it  beats  the  cost  of  getting  a  new  tank.  You  need  one  of  those  thin  rectangular  blades  that  looks  like  this,  wear  protective  gloves.:

http://www.raisethehammer.org/static/images/fenton_razorblades_06.jpg

Good  luck,  don't  let  this  be  too  disheartening,  the  hobby  has  it's  ups  and  downs!
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

And  Lastly  it  completed  the  Circle

Well  I  was  quite  disappointed  because  of  the  investments  been  made  &  also  the  efforts.  Its  almost  started  to  became  an  interesting  part  of  day  to  day  life  especially  my  mother's  involvement,  she  used  to  get  excited  whenever  there  were  new  shoots  &  excessive  pearling.  It  was  first  time  I  ever  experience  Pearling,  continuous  growth,  Dark  Redness  of  Red  plants  in  my  tank  as  I  went  to  High  Light  setup.

Called  a  Friend  who  is  Civil  Engineer  &  he  pointed  out  the  root  cause  was  Table.  He  said-  when  it  comes  to  Cube  Tank  all  pressure  is  forced  in  the  center  &  thus  it  becomes  necessity  to  provide  some  sort  of  support  in  center  position  of  Table.  On  other  hand  in  standard  rectangular  tank  pressure  is  distributed  on  both  the  sides  &  generally  the  Legs  of  Table  are  fitted  under  those  both  sides  in  opposite  manner.

Now  a  Revamp  will  at  least  take  a  Month  &  it  will  be  starting  months  of  HOT  Summer.  So  Will  see  what  can  be  done  Sad
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2014 9:20 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Shocked   Shocked   Shocked  
 Real  Badluck  Shrini

So  the  middle  of  your  table  needs  support  till  the  bottom

Cheer Up  

Hope  you  get  back  soon
pennyilurm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 1:39 am Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

Hello,

The  size  of  the  tank  doesn't  look  very  big.  You  can  do  without  braces.  But   if  you  have  them  it  is  like  wearing  a  raincoat  and  also  having  an  umbrella.  You  problem  is  definitely  the  unstable  table.  There  should  be  no  movement  in  the  table  even  before  you  fill  water.  Also  use  a  spirit  level  to  adjust  the  level  as  much  as  possible.  In  case  of  a  slight  rocking,  add  slices  of  acrylic  or  plywood  strips  to  peg  the  gap  below  the  legs.  
 Use  material  that  will  not  react  to  water  from  day  to  day  floor  cleaning.
 Most  flooring  in  our  houses  including  older  houses  and  modern  will  have  a  bit  of  uneven  flooring.  After  making  sure  the  table  is  not  rocking  and  before  placing  the  tank  on  the  table,  use  a  thermocol  sheet  below  the  glass  tank.  Better  to  use  EPE  phome  sheet.  These  sheet  donot  deteriorate  like  thermocol  when  exposed  to  water  spill  and  cockroaches  etc....
 Don't  worry  about  light  fittings  damaging  the  glass  due  to  heat.  These  small  precautions  seem  not  important  but  they  are.  Imagine  loading  it  with  fishes  and  it  cracks  and  leaks  in  the  night  and  you  wake  up  to  see  them  dead.

1985  I   got  my  first  crude  tank  24x18x18   in  Bangalore  from  a  LFS     it  is  still  holding  strong  in  spite  of  several  shifting  around.  Always  kept  an  eye  on  the  SPIRIT  LEVEL   Smile  

Note:-  Glass  thickness  and  make  of  glass  is  also  important.  

Fixing  the  table  wont  cause  you  anything.  The  foam  is  also  pretty  cheap.  Ask  the  superstitious  LFS  guy  to  give  you  one.  Replace  the  front  glass  alone  for  now  hoping  you  have  used  proper  thickness  and  a  good  brand  of  glass.

What  happened  to  you  is  every  aquarists  nightmare.  I  remember  when  I  built  my  second  tank,  waking  up  in  the  middle  of  the  night  to  check  for  minute  leakages.  Calling  home  from  the  office  and  checking  with  mom  to  know  if  all  is  well.

So  don't  worry  and  fix  it  before  mom  loses  her  interest.  She  is  a  good  potential  candidate  for  maintenance  when  you  are  away.  

Good  luck
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2014 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

+100  pennyilurm   Thumb Up
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2014 1:55 pm Post subject: Re: Fed up with Glass Crack issue Sad Reply with quote

+1  Pennyilurm.  

It  happens  my  dear  friend  but  don't  loose  heart.  Just  go  ahead.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Other Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: