124. Guest
125. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,657

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Baby steps in Planted Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Baby steps in Planted Tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:32 pm Post subject: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,  

Wanted  to  share  my  planted  tank's  progress.  Hope  you  all  approve  of  it  and  guide  me  further.  I  had  bought  all  the  components  but  didn't  fancy  any  driftwood  or  many  rocks  (of  course,  tank  size  also  didn't  encourage  that).  

Started  my  tank  on  Jan  4th  and  after  about  two  weeks,  the  update  was  as  below:

Used:  Amazon  Swords  (RHS  background),  Bacopa  Australis  (LHS  background),  Ludwigia  Brevipes  (LHS  midground),  Echinodorous  Tenellus  (foreground:  scattered  here  and  there),  Java  Fern  (mid  ground,  next  to  ludwigia),  Anubias  Nana  and  Anubias  Nana  Petite.  At  this  point,  didn't  add  any  live  stock.

Wasn't  pretty  satisfied  with  the  way  this  looked  and  also  speculated  that  the  amazon  sword  would  command  more  space.  So  changed  the  layout  as  below  and  with  another  week  of  cycling,  added  RCS  and  Asian  Stone  cats.  

Started  dosing  K  through  plant  food  (source:  aqua  remedies)  and  observed  good  growth,  with  a  lot  og  algae  too.  Algae  was  manually  removed  from  the  glass  with  the  help  of  old  credit  card.  Was  somewhat  satisfied  now,  with  the  way  plants  were  responding  to  Co2  and  other  nutrients  being  dosed.  Finally  after  week  5,  tank  looked  like  this:

Four  dwarf  neon  gouramis  were  added  in  addition  to  few  Otos.  

After  two  months:
   Gave  away  the  dwarf  Gourami  (notorious  hunter  of  shrimplets)  and  got  more  shrimps:

Looking  forward  to  receiving  your  valuable  comments/suggestions.  Tank  specs.  etc  in  reply  below.  

Cheers,

Karthik

Last edited by KarthikC on Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 8:36 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank: load warning. Reply with quote

Tank  specs:  10"  H  x  12"  L  x  10"  W  (placed  sideways)
 Light:  18W,  works  out  roughly  to  2.4  WPG
 Water  change:  weekly,  20-30%
 HOB  filter.  
 Dosing  only  macro  now.

Flora:  Ludwigia  Brevipes,  Bacopa  Australis,  Anubias  Nana  and  Petite,  Echinodorous  Tenellus  and  Lot  of  algae..  Very Happy
 Fauna:  3  Otos,  3  Asian  Stone  cats,  3  Glass  Goby  (here  for  a  short  while-  giving  away  to  a  friend),  6  RCS.  

Cheers,  

Karthik
stalingard
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank: load warning. Reply with quote

Karthik,  tank  looks  beautiful....to  me

which  K  product  you  are  using?...and  also,  i  persume  you  are  using  Contro  hw  have  you  planted  Australis?
shri-novice
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 9:08 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Good  first  attempt.  keep  us  updated
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2014 10:03 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

stalingard  wrote  (View  Post):                
Karthik,  tank  looks  beautiful....to  me

which  K  product  you  are  using?...and  also,  i  persume  you  are  using  Contro  hw  have  you  planted  Australis?                

Thanks.  Smile  I'm  using  a  product  called  plant  food  from  aqua  remedies.  It  promises  of  nitrogen  and  potassium.  I'm  using  Ada  Amazonia.  I  actually  tied  the  initial  bunch  of  bacopa  to  a  small  stone  and  shoved  it  in  the  substrate.  Otherwise  very  hard  to  plant  it.  Now  I've  chopped  a  part  of  t  which  is  firmly  rooted  and  doesn't  seem  to  give  up  even  though  it's  separated  from  the  main  plant.  Smile  

shri-novice  wrote  (View  Post):                
Good  first  attempt.  keep  us  updated                

Sure  and  thanks.  :)

Cheers,

Karthik
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:09 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Karthick..
 The  tank  looks  a  bit  flat  right  now,  plan  on  adding  some  hard  scape  like  rocks  or  drifts..  the  soil  layout  is  too  flat  as  well,  you  could  have  mounded  more  at  the  back  and  brought  a  nice  slope  to  the  front.  And  I  would  avoid  the  bigger  plants  like  swords,  even  tennulus  will  be  too  big  for  carpet.  But  the  good  thing  is  the  plants  are  responding  well,  the  colour  of  Ludwigia  is  coming  out  nicely..
 And,  as  I  have  already  told  you..  TRIM.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 9:28 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Nidhi  sir.  Sure.  In  fact  I  had  laid  the  substrate  sloping  front,  but  due  to  re  arrangement  I  somehow  messed  up.  As  discussed  last  week,  I  need  to  change  the  foreground  plants  since  it  is  hijacking  the  entire  layout.  Will  update  pics  after  ludwigia  and  bacopa  trimming.  

Thanks  Smile  

Karthik
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Keep  changing  the  water  50%  every  alternate  day.  Dont  dose  anything  now..  lower  the  light  span  so  that  the  yellowish  tinge  will  dissappear.  keep  co2  a  little  higher.  by  10  days  the  tank  will  look  whiter  in  shade.  I  feel  there  is  too  much  of  substrate  also.  but  that  your  choice  again.
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Keep  changing  the  water  50%  every  alternate  day.  Dont  dose  anything  now..  lower  the  light  span  so  that  the  yellowish  tinge  will  dissappear.  keep  co2  a  little  higher.  by  10  days  the  tank  will  look  whiter  in  shade.  I  feel  there  is  too  much  of  substrate  also.  but  that  your  choice  again.                

Sure  sir.  Will  try  the  lighting  and  dosing  part  from  next  week  and  check  the  progress.  I  am  ok  with  the  colour  of  the  ludwigia  but  tennelus  is  giving  off  yellow  shades  and  withering  off.  Was  always  wondering  why.  

Cheers.  

Karthik
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2014 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

I've  got  another  doubt.  I  tried  changing  50%  water  change  once  when  and  after  water  change,  4  shrimps  jumped  out  on  the  same  day.  Is  bore  well  water  ok  for  them?  

Cheers,

Karthik
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 11:17 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Nice  cube  and  thanks  for  sharing.
 Same  thing  happened  in  my  case  too,  the  slope  made   in  hardscape  plan  went  a  bit  flat  after  adding  water  and  working  with  planting  the  trims,  and  so  on.  That  makes  the  scape  flat  and  also  substrate  thicker.  It  is  a  trick  that  can  be  learnt  only  by  experience  I  guess.  You  tube  video  folks  make  it  look  so  easy  work  though  :-)

You  can  think  of  plants  with  smaller  leaves  to  create  a  good  perspective  in  the  small  tank.
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2014 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  cube  and  thanks  for  sharing.
 Same  thing  happened  in  my  case  too,  the  slope  made  ┬áin  hardscape  plan  went  a  bit  flat  after  adding  water  and  working  with  planting  the  trims,  and  so  on.  That  makes  the  scape  flat  and  also  substrate  thicker.  It  is  a  trick  that  can  be  learnt  only  by  experience  I  guess.  You  tube  video  folks  make  it  look  so  easy  work  though  :-)

You  can  think  of  plants  with  smaller  leaves  to  create  a  good  perspective  in  the  small  tank.                

Thanks.  I'm  thinking  of  new  carpet  plants.  Maybe  hm  or  HC.  Let's  see.  As  you  said  rightly  experience  is  what  is  needed  for  a  perfect  tank.  Smile  

Cheers,

Karthik
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2014 10:11 pm Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,  

Small  update  on  my  tank.  Removed  the  tenellus  and  added  blyxa  for  the  midground,  Needle  Fern  in  the  same  level  and  Echinodorous  (dwarf  swordtail  plant)  at  the  background.  For  the  foreground  I  have  put  some  Marsilea  Hirsuta  in  the  hope  that  it  quickly  forms  carpet  with  good  light  and  other  nutrients.  The  anubias  couldnt  moved  since  it  has  dug  really  deep  into  the  substrate.  

With  light.  I  hope  those  remaining  roots  will  melt  away.  

Without  lights

Top  view  of  the  changed  stuff.  

Hope  it  will  mature  well  now.  Not  planning  to  change  anything  if  the  growth  is  good.  

Cheers,  

Karthik
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 9:25 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Thats  a  nice  make  over..  swap  the  places  of  needle  leaf  fern  and  blyxa,  so  that  the  roots  of  the  stem  plants  will  be  cover  by  blyxa  when  it  grows  up..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:57 am Post subject: Re: Baby steps in Planted Tank Reply with quote

Thanks  Nidhi  sir..  Will  definitely  do  so  in  the  next  WC  time  Smile  

Cheers,  

Karthik
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: