125. Guest
126. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,370

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vijendra_s123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2014 8:44 pm Post subject: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

Was  looking  for  them  since  a  lonnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng  time  and  was  lucky  enough  to  acquire  these  beauties  just  over  a  month  ago.

Had  housed  2  males  and  3  females  in  a  60cms*30cms*30cms  planted  tank.  The  males  immediately  occupied  two  earthen  pots  (which  were  later  replaced  with  small  plastic  pipes)  placed  in  two  corners  of  the  tank.

A  male:  Males  are  more  colorful  as  with  all  fishes  and  have  a  pronounced  hump  on  their  head.

A  female

Setup:
 They  prefer  slightly  acidic  water  and  dense  vegetation  with  a  lot  of  hiding  places.  A  tight  cover  is  necessary  as  they  are  good  jumpers.
 They  inhabit  lowland  streams,  ponds  and  rivers  in  Papua  New  Guinea  keep.  They  prefer  low  flow,  I  use  a  big  sponge  filter  so  that  the  flow  can  easily  be  regulated.  Males  are  a  bit  territorial  so  plan  the  setup  accordingly  if  you  intend  to  keep  more  than  one  male.   

Do  a  50%  water  change  once  a  week  as  they  prefer  clean  water.  

Water  parameters  in  the  breeding  tank:
 TDS:  150  
 pH:  6.8
 Temp:  25

As  I  always  do  with  all  my  breeding  pairs  –  Feed  a  lot  of  live  food  2-3  times  a  day.  (I  feed  them  Romifex  and  Grindals)  and  eventually  nature  will  take  its  course.

Tateurndina  ocellicauda  are  easy  to  breed  provided  right  conditions.  They  are  cave  spawners  and  should  be  provided  with  short  (around  6”)  of  plastic  tubing  (these  work  well  as  compared  to  earthen  pots  as  it  is  easier  for  the  female  to  lay  eggs  and  the  male  to  fan  them).  I  had  previously  used  earthen  pots  as  I  was  not  expecting  the  fish  to  reach  me  early  and  was  not  able  to  get  plastic  pipes  in  my  area  on  a  short  notice,  before  I  could  replace  them  with  plastic  tubes  the  two  males  had  spawned  in  their  respective  territories  (just  2  days  after  introducing  them  in  their  new  tank).  

If  conditioned  properly  females  will  become  visibly  swollen  and  the  males  will  start  enticing  them,  flaring  at  them  from  their  selected  territories.  The  male  will  even  chase  the  females  around  and  may  even  forcibly  push  them  inside  the  cave.

A  male  attracting  a  potential  mate

The  other  male  that  I  had  attracting  another  female

A  pair  entering  a  potential  breeding  site

A  male  literally  pushing  the  female  inside  the  cave

The  spawning  will  take  place  within  a  few  hours.  The  female  attaches  her  eggs  on  roof  of  the  spawning  site.  The  male  will  take  responsibility  after  fertilizing  them  and  will  drive  the  female  away.  The  male  will  continuously  fan  the  eggs  to  avoid  formation  of  fungus  and  keep  the  water  well  oxygenated  around  them.  He  will  take  their  responsibility  till  they  hatch,  which  would  be  around  48-72  hrs.  

Just  hours  after  the  spawning  activity

Now  this  is  the  sensitive  time  as  the  male  may  even  consider  the  newly  hatched  wrigglers  as  food  and  finish  them  along  with  other  fish  in  the  tank  within  minutes.  

Best  bet  is  to  remove  them  after  a  day  and  hatch  them  yourself.  What  I  do  is  take  the  pipe  out  and  keep  in  a  breeding  box.  Attach  a  tubing  to  the  pipe  and  provide  one  bubble  every  two  seconds,  mimicking  fanning  from  the  male.  If  the  bubble  count  is  too  high  the  eggs  could  be  detached  and  fall  out  and  if  too  low  they  could  be  covered  with  fungus.   

DIY  tumbler

Larvae  after  around  36  hours  

A  day  after  becoming  free  swimming  

The  fry  are  big  enough  to  accept  newly  hatched  brine  shrimps  as  first  food.  Feed  them  2-3  times  a  day  and  keep  the  water  clean.

Couple  of  days  old

A  month  old  fry

jenkins
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2014 9:15 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

Wow.  This  is  amazing.  Wish  this  fish  was  easily  available.  Was  looking  for  this  fish  for  a  long  time  too  but  was  unable  to  source.  Goodluck  with  the  juveniles.
vijendra_s123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2014 10:45 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

jenkins  wrote  (View  Post):                
Wow.  This  is  amazing.  Wish  this  fish  was  easily  available.  Was  looking  for  this  fish  for  a  long  time  too  but  was  unable  to  source.  Goodluck  with  the  juveniles.                

Thanks...Smile
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 9:25 am Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

Vijendra..   Bow  
 Super  cool,  step  by  step  presentation..  You  must  have  lots  of  patience  to  click  all  those  images..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 29, 2014 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

I  guess  Vijendra  should  be  given  a  section  somewhere  in  the  breeding  section  of  IAH.  The  presentation  ad  effort  in  documenting  these  is  awesome  Clapping   Clapping
vijendra_s123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:23 am Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

Nidhi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Vijendra..   Bow  
 Super  cool,  step  by  step  presentation..  You  must  have  lots  of  patience  to  click  all  those  images..                

Thanks,  I  love  to  click  fishes  and  spend  hours  doing  so...:)

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  guess  Vijendra  should  be  given  a  section  somewhere  in  the  breeding  section  of  IAH.  The  presentation  ad  effort  in  documenting  these  is  awesome  Clapping   Clapping

Thanks...Smile
Agnelo
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2014 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Breeding Tateurndina ocellicauda (Peacock gudgeon/goby) Reply with quote

Beautiful  Thumb Up  

You  got  lot  of  patience  man!  Clapping  

In  my  case,  I  got  so  many  cichlid  fries  that  I  am  fed  up.  I  mean  I  no  more  separate  the  holding  females  now.

Keep  up  the  good  work

Regards
 Agnelo
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: