146. Guest
147. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Filter for a planted tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Filter for a planted tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Saurabh3720
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:14 am Post subject: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Need  help  with  choosing  a  filter  for  my  30g  planted  tank.
 I  will  soon  be  setting  up  a  moderately  planted  30g  tank  (36*12*16).  Read  in  several  forums  that  planted  tanks  require  minimal  filteration.
 Is  this  correct  or  do  I  need  to  go  for  a  canister  filter?
 I  am  currently  in  possession  of  a  small  internal  filter  (400  l/hr)  which  i  am  guessing  is  too  small  for  a  30g  tank.
 Please  advice  ...
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 14, 2014 11:28 am Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Hi  Saurabh,

You  are  wrong.  You  need  atleast  10x  times  the  water  flow  for  your  tank  gallon.  Planted  tank  need  good  flow  of  water  so  that  you  dont  have  any  dead  spots  in  the  tank.

Dead  spots  in  the  tank  would  lead  to  algae,  fertilizer  not  reaching  the  entire  tank  etc.

So  a  better  flow  filter  is  always  must  for  a  good  planted  tank.  I  would  suggest  atleast  a  750lts/hr  filter  for  your  tank  size.  Go  for  any  canister  filter  with  750lts/hr  plus  flow  rate  filter.  If  your  budget  doesnt  allow  you  to  buy  a  canister  filter,  then  go  for  any  internal  filter  with  the  same  flow  (750lts/hr  +).

You  can  either  choose  internal  filter  or  canister  filter  for  a  planted  tank.  I  would  always  suggest  for  a  canister  filter.  See  if  you  can  get  a  canister  filter  within  your  budget.
Saurabh3720
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 3:45 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Hi,

I  did  find  a  canister  filter  that  might  work  for  me.  Its  a  bit  expensive  but  I  think  I  can  manage:
 http://finsnflora.com/91-sunsun-hw-302-with-media.html
wads
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:25 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Saurabh,

You  can  buy  two  internal  filters.  Install  them  in  diagonal  corners,  such  a  way  that  they  will  provide  optimum  flow  for  your  entire  tank.  

Keep  in  mind  that  the  filters  will  require  more  periodic  cleaning  as  the  media  volume  is  very  less  in  the  power  filters  compared  to  the  canisters.  power  filters  will  be  a  good  cheaper  alternative  for  canister  if  you  are  being  held  up  by  the  budget  constraints.  

All  the  best   Thumb Up
neoaqua
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:43 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

I  was  just  going  to  post  the  same  as  above.  As  it  is  already  posted  +1  to  it.  My  reasons:

1.  If  you  have  1  filter  you  will  see  fish  poo  collecting  on  the  other  end  where  flow  is  minimal.
 2.  One  filter  may  conk  off.  Here  you  have  a  backup
 3.  Put  different  media  like  Purigen  or  Activated  carbon  and  remove  as  necessary  without  disturbing  the  entire  filter  set  up.
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:26 am Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

I  just  wondered,  why  no  one  suggested  a  hang  on  back  filter  for  this.  hmm..  any  reasons  ?
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

HOB  causes  to  much  substrate  agitation,  and  the  current  is  not  linear,  i.e.  from  one  side  to  another.  The  current  with  a  HOB  goes  down  one  side,  and  rises  the  other  side.  The  water  will  never  clear  up.

Trust  me,  I  use  a  Fluval  C2  in  my  30g  tank,  and  I  know  its  limitations  pretty  well.  You  will  need  large  media  surfaces,  which  can  be  provided  by  only  a  canister  filter.  HOBs  are  not  very  popular  in  India  since  we  use  covered  tanks,  while  in  Europe  and  US,  the  tanks  at  home  are  sometimes  open  top  tanks.  HOBs  need  too  much  modifications  to  the  existing  tank  covers  /  hoods.

You  can  use  a  canister  filter  and  an  internal  power  filter  together.  For  reasons  of  improving  flow,  negating  current,  and  simplest  reason  of  all,  "BACKUP".

Remember,  try  to  keep  the  current  due  to  filtration  as  per  the  liking  of  the  livestock  you  plan  to  add.  Bettas  hate  even  a  moderate  current,  and  may  become  stressed.  Some  cichlids  and  most  schooling  fish  prefer  a  certain  amount  of  current.  I  have  zebra  danios,  in  my  tank,  and  they  love  to  s

PS:  Also,  I  forgot  to  mention  the  most  important  reason  for  not  using  a  HOB  in  a  planted  setup.  The  HOB  will  cause  loss  of  CO2  due  to  water  and  surface  agitation.  Canister  filters  allow  the  addition  of  CO2  in  the  water  pipe,  which  causes  efficient  mixing  and  dissolution,  no  such  luck  for  HOBs.
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Brother!  
 Go  for  a  top  filter,  but  only  if  you  could  camouflage  it  somewhere  above  the  tank.  Maybe  actually  at  the  back  of  the  tank  but  it  should  be  above  the  water  level  all  the  times.  Many  cheap  top  filters  are  available.  Your  tank  size  is  small  hence  you  canister  is  not  necessary.  More  over  top  filter  gives  more  exposure  to  the  oxygen  levels  required  by  the  aerobic  bacteria  for  biological  cycle.  I  suggest  you  use  filter  floss  for  mechanical  and  activated  carbon  with  a  few  plastic  pad  used  for  scrubbing  utensils.  I  don't  know  what  exactly  its  called  in  English.  Pm  me  I'll  give  one  to  you  for  free.  I  have  5  of  those  lying  around  with  me  unused.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 8:54 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Please  do  not  got  for  a  top  filter.  They  are  rubbish  for  planted  tanks.

Go  for  2Xinternal  power  filters  or  one  SunSun  302B
Murtazadhanera
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: Filter for a planted tank Reply with quote

Mortis,
 Its  all  about  preferences!
 I  have  known  this  small  lfs  who  has  a  4  x  1  x  1.5  feet  tank  with  just  one  top  filter,  low  tech  with  no  co2.  And  i  guess  his  lights  are  from  medieval  era.  Still  his  tank  is  doing  good,  up  and  running  since  last  couple  of  years.  I'll  go  get  a  pic  if  i  could.
 This  fella  has  a  30  gallon  how  come  top  not  gonna  work?  
 IMO  top  would  definitely  take  more  biload  then  internal!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: