86. Guest
87. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,865

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LFS of Denver: Fish Den
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LFS of Denver: Fish Den

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:38 am Post subject: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Hello  everyone,

Hope  you  and  your  fishes  are  doing  wonderful.
 Whenever  we  hobbyists  go  to  a  new  place,  we  make  sure  that  we  check  out  the  fish  stores  or  LFS  as  we  call  them,  in  that  city/  town.  I  don't  know  why  but  it's  just  one  of  those  things  that  you  do.  You  check  out  their  livestock  and  plants  selection,  their  business  strategy  etc.  It  gives  you  a  better  perspective  about  the  hobby  as  a  whole.
 And  that  is  exactly  what  I  did  when  I  moved  to  Denver  a  month  ago.
 Denver  has  been  home  to  some  great  hobbyists  and  that's  why  there  are  some  very  old  and  reputed  LFS  here.  They  represent  not  just  Denver  but  the  overall  hobby  in  the  country.  Rocky  Mountain  Cichlid  Association  (They  hosted  American  Cichlid  Association's  annual  convention  in  2013),  Colorado  Aquarium  Society,  Colorado  Killifish  Association  are  a  few  organizations  that  work  for  the  betterment  of  the  hobby  in  Colorado.
 When  I  was  back  in  India,  I  was  always  curious  about  the  LFS  in  the  USA.  I  used  to  think  how  the  LFS  look  like  in  the  States  and  what  kind  of  fish  do  they  sell  etc.  So  I  thought  by  doing  this  series,  I  might  be  able  to  put  a  full  stop  to  many  curious  question  that  people  in  other  parts  of  the  world  have  about  LFS  in  the  States.  Hobbies  (in  general)  are  taken  very  seriously  here.  They  opens  a  whole  new  world  of  opportunity.  They  can  inspire  you  to  study  in  a  specific  field  field  or  maybe  make  your  career  in  that  field.

So  here's  the  first  LFS  that  I'm  gonna  talk  about:  ¬†Fish  Den.
 One  of  the  oldest  LFS  in  Denver.  This  LFS  is  running  from  80's.
 Usually,  LFS  have  a  lot  less  stuff  than  what  we  see  in  online  store's  catalog  (just  because  many  things  don't  'move'  easily).  This  LFS  changed  my  perception.  When  I  saw  their  selection  of  dry  goods,  I  was  amazed  at  how  much  they  had  in  the  store.  Starting  from  every  kind  of  salt  that  you  can  use  in  an  aquarium  to  all  the  plumbing  parts,  dry  food,  a  number  of  books  (on  freshwater,  saltwater  and  brackish  water)..  they  had  everything.

While  talking  to  their  manager,  he  told  me  that  they  try  to  keep  everything  in  stock  that  their  supplier  has.  They  understand  this  business  and  they  know  how  a  hobbyist  who  just  discovered  that  his  betta  has  ich,  can  rush  to  the  LFS  to  buy  every  possible  medicine  available.  They  have  a  great  selection  of  aquarium  medicines.
 Another  great  thing  about  the  store  is  that  they  hire  people  who  actually  are  aquarium  hobbyists.  While  talking  to  Peter,  who  works  there,  he  told  me  that  he  used  to  come  to  this  LFS  often  and  that  is  how  he  got  this  job.  Isn't  that  great?  Imagine  a  store  where  all  the  employees  are  hobbyists  just  like  you.  You  will  get  an  honest  opinion  and  help  from  another  hobbyist  there.

They  are  also  connected  to  local  aquarium  clubs  like  Colorado  Aquarium  Society  and  keep  donating  plants  or  Fishes  to  the  clubs.  They  also  give  10%  discount  to  all  the  club  members.

After  spending  some  time  checking  out  their  dry  goods,  I  entered  their  "Tank  Section".  Here  they  had  all  the  empty  tanks  for  sale.  From  2  gallons  to  225  gallons..  they  had  it  all.  Many  types  of  lighting  solutions  from  Metal  Halides  to  LEDs  and  PLL.

Another  interesting  thing  that  I  saw  was  a  small  collection  of  vintage  aquarium  stuff.  

Then  I  went  into  their  fish  section.  I  was  amazed  at  the  collection  of  fishes  that  they  had  there.  From  goldfish,  tetras  to  exotic  tanganyikan  cichlids,  discus  and  even  delicate  bee  shrimps.

A  gigantic  giant  gourami  that  is  not  for  sale  :

The  also  had  a  nice  saltwater  selection.

This  spider  decorator  crab  decorates  itself  with  the  available  corals.  Camouflage  at  it's  best  here:  

It  was  amazing  to  see  such  a  nice  LFS.  They  were  happy  to  have  me  there.  I  bought  some  live  food  like  Brine  Shrimp  and  Black  Worms  from  there.  They  gave  me  a  10%  discount  as  well  (I  am  a  CAS  member).
 I  hope  you  liked  the  photos.  Let  me  know  your  thoughts  and  questions  in  the  comments  below.
 Those  photos  are  nice,  aren't  they  Wink  If  you'd  like  to  download  some  of  them  for  FREE  to  make  your  phone's  or  computer's  wallpaper,  please  visit  my  website  here:
 http://www.playsofrays.com/-/galleries/free-downloads
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 1:19 am Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Lucky  of  you  to  be  in  a  city  like  Denver!
 I  mean,  actually,  lucky  of  you  to  be  in  a  city  with  such  a  great  LFS...  any  city...
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:46 am Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Nice  Post  Sumer

I  saw  Big  Als  in  Toronto.  Their  shops  are  warehouses.
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 3:23 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Thumb Up   thanks  for  the  post  Sumer.
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 4:38 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing.
 Do  we  have  anything  close  to  this  in  India?

Thuds
sssram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Very  nice  LFS  and  super  photos.

sssram
franco
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:39 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Awesome  insight  into  the  world  of  the  LFS  in  that  part  of  the  world..thanx  for  the  share  Smile
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:23 am Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Nice  Sumer.  I  have  a  couple  of  friends  living  in  Denver.  Ill  ask  them  to  get  me  some  stuff  when  they  come  down  to  India  Very Happy
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Big  Als  in  Canada  had  very  few  aquatic  plant  options  though  and  when  I  saw  a  couple  of  Cabomba  for  $5,  I  had  a  good  laugh.  Chuckle
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 1:03 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

Wow....Thanks  for  sharing  Sumer.
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

wonderful  report,  and  delectable  images  Sumer!

OT  -  I  find  the  current  watermark  a  too  intrusive
sumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 03, 2014 9:22 pm Post subject: Re: LFS of Denver: Fish Den Reply with quote

I  am  glad  you  all  liked  the  photos  :)

hayath_dyno  wrote  (View  Post):                
wonderful  report,  and  delectable  images  Sumer!

OT  -  I  find  the  current  watermark  a  too  intrusive                

Thanks  Hayath.  
 You  are  right  about  the  watermark.  Images  like  these,  which  go  in  such  posts  should  not  have  this  intrusive  watermarks.  It  was  a  glitch  in  the  hosting  server  which  did  not  let  me  choose  the  watermark  when  I  uploaded  these  photos  on  my  website.  
 I  have  it  under  control  now.  The  next  thread  in  this  series  will  have  decent,  non  barking  watermark.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: