120. Guest
121. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,373

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2014 7:14 pm Post subject: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Tank Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I'm  having  issues  with  the  BBA  currently  and  was  looking  up  for  the  Ideal  water  flow  characteristics  for  my  Aquarium.
 I  came  across  this  site  "Lateral  Lines:  Water  Flow  Part  1"
 However,  everything  seems  Greek  and  Latin  Shocked  .  Do  any  of  you  guys  have  an  link  or  article  that  simplifies  this?

I'm  categorizing  this  under  this  Forum  Index  as  the  flow  is  a  result  of  the  Output  from  the  Filter.
 Please  feel  free  to  move  it  if  you  feel  otherwise.

Thanks  in  Advance.

Regards,
 Karthiik
netherwinterknights
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:07 am Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

That  article  just  lists  most  of  the  possibilities  of  water  flow,  and  most  of  them  such  as  the  sloshing,  surging,  etc.  are  for  marine  tanks  since  some  if  not  most  marine  organisms  may  be  more  used  to  the  wavy  nature  of  the  sea.

That  being  said,  the  article  does  not  mention  the  advantages  and  disadvantages  of  each  type  of  flow.  If  you  have  a  tank  which  is  not  too  large,  and  is  being  filtered  by  either  a  HOB  or  a  canister,  then  I  bet  you  have  water  flowing  like  the  infinity  symbol.  This  is  the  flow  pattern  I  have  observed  in  most  tanks  filtered  by  a  single  HOB  /  canister  filter,  including  mine.

So,  which  of  these  flow  patterns  mentioned  in  the  linked  article  is  really  important  for  your  tank,  is  a  matter  of  the  fish  you  plan  to  keep  in  it.  I  bet  bettas  and  guppies  and  other  large  finned  wonders  would  be  pissed  at  you  for  even  a  slight  flow,  let  alone  a  sloshing  and  surging  flow.
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 9:09 am Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

BBA  has  nothing  to  do  with  water  flow,  I  have  been  battling  BBA.  And  IMO  too  much  of  debris  in  the  tank  is  the  main  cause,  too  much  of  light  and  lack  or  inconsistent  co2  may  aggravate  it.  Even  with  high  flow,  if  the  mulm  is  not  cleared  by  the  filter  then  your  problem  will  remain  as  it  is.
 So  do  30%  water  changes  daily  if  possible,  or  at  least  every  other  day  till  your  tank  regains  the  balance.   Dosing  of  flourish  excel  or  Glutaraldehyde  (caution  -  research  on  this  in  google)  will  help.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Thanks  for  your  responses  Nidhi  and  netherwinterknights   Smile  

My  initials  thoughts  were  regarding  the  BBA,  since  I  assume  I  have  some  deadspots  in  my  tank.
 However,  while  going  through  some  other  sites  I  found  this  interesting  topic  about  the  Waterflow  in  a  tank.

The  sites  spoke  about:
 1.  Height  and  position  at  which  the  Inlet  is  placed
 2.  Height  and  position  at  which  the  Outlet  is  placed
 3.  Position  of  the  Diffuser
 4.  Using  a  spraybar  v/s  lilly  pipes

The  above  factors  determine  the  way  water  flows  in  the  tank  (Circular/Laminar  etc  etc   Rolling Eyes  ).  

Being  a  beginner  I  couldn't  even  Imagine  the  various  factors  that  are  associated  with  them  and  I  was  hoping  if  somebody  has  already  posted  something  on  it  (Reusability   Chuckle  )  .

Thanks,
 Karthik
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:09 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Karthik,  I  too  did  the  same  thing..  As  soon  as  I  saw  the  BBA  taking  over  my  tank,  googled  out  and  found  varying  opinions  about  the  BBA.
 Finally  it  boiled  down  to  too  much  of  debris  (mulm)  which  accumulates  over  the  time,  which  was  true  in  my  case.  that's  the  reason  I  had  remove  the  E.tennelus  from  my  tank  and  vacuum  the  surface  of  the  substrate.  I  have  upped  the  CO2  dosing  a  swell.  I  have  lowered  the  lighting  and  upped  the  CO2..  looks  like  its  working.
 All  the  points  regarding  the  filter  setup   and  positioning  is  true  to  have  a  healthy  flow,  which  disperses  the  CO2  and  nutrition  all  over  the  tank.  which  will  help  the  plants  to  grow  vigorously  which  in  turn  suppress  the  algae  growth.
 But  BBA  is  altogether  a  different  story..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:33 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

As  mentioned  by  Nidhi,  BBA  is  not  mainly  due  to  the  water  flow  but  due  to  lots  of  organic  waste  (mlum,  decaying  leaving,  uncleaned  filter  etc).  

>  So  clean  your  filter  regularly.
 >  Remove  decaying/dead  leaves  as  much  as  possible  from  the  tank.  (Manually)
 >  Keep  consistent  CO2  level

I  spent  at-least  half-an-hour  during  water  change  to  trim  the  dead  leaves  from  all  plants  that  I  have  in  the  tank.  I  pick  all  the  decaying/dead  leaves  from  the  tank  manually  during  every  water  change.

Also  I  clean  the  filter  atleast  one  in  2  months.
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:35 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Thanks  again  Nidhi   Smile   Smile   Smile  

I  will  update  the  details  of  the  BBA  and  other  issues  separately  on  my  Original  Tank  page  for  your  inputs.  

To  see  if  I  get  any  additional  details  on  the  Flow  if  somebody  has  done  any  reasearch  or  write  up  I  will  keep  the  discussion  open

BTW,  what  is  your  take  on  the  4  points  mentioned  above?

Regards,
 Karthik
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:58 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Karthik,

1.  Height  and  position  at  which  the  Inlet  is  placed.
 It  depends  on  the  type  of  hardware  you  have  and  the  kind  of  set  up  you  have.  Normally  just  a  couple  of  inch  or  so  from  the  substrate,  water  flow  in  to  the  inlet  must  not  be  congested  or  hindered  by  hardware's  like  rocks  or  plants.  must  be  placed  opposite  to  the  out  put  pipe.

2.  Height  and  position  at  which  the  Outlet  is  placed.
 Place  it  near  the  surface  if  want  good  gas  exchange  via  surface  diffusion  which  helps  in  increasing  oxygen  levels,  or  lower  it  for  better  water  circulation  in  the  tank  and  better  retention  of  CO2  if  your  dosing  it.

3.  Position  of  the  Diffuser.
 Always  keep  it  as  low  as  possible  near  the  substrate,  and  must  be  opposite  side  of  the  out  flow  from  the  filter.

4.  Using  a  spraybar  v/s  lilly  pipes.
 Spray  bar  is  used  to  soften  the  flow  from  the  filter  ,  Lily  pipes  are  used  to  maximise  the  flow  or  some  times  increase  the  water  flow  in  the  tank.
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Hi  Karthik,

Water  flow  is  a  important  factor  in  planted  tank,  but  again  to  achieve  the  result  not  only  flow,  your  lighting,  co2  and  fert  also  plays  a  major  role.  when  i  setup  my  first  planted  tank  i  used  excel  for  carbon  source  anyhow  within  a  month  lost  all  plants  because  of  improper  setup  and  maintenance,  after  that  got  pressurized  co2  still  had  issues  then  i  went  through  lot  of  sites  and  guides  and  finally  learnt  and  still  learning,  after  that  did  lot  of  research  in  my  tank  and  once  i  thought  I'm  ready  i  ripped  the  tank  and  rescaped  again.

In  my  experience  first  thing  is  the  flow  in  the  tank  i  always  follow  10x  rule  and  second  major  thing  is  light  and  co2,  once  you  follow  10x  rule  then  your  tank  won't  have  dead  spots  until  you  find  the  best  place  for  your  filter  outlet  place  in  the  tank  it  changes  according  to  your  scape  also  so  you  need  to  keep  that  in  mind  i  always  prefer  keeping  in  front  right  corner  which  gives  proper  circular  flow  for  me  i  will  angle  the  outlet  in  a  way  it  hits  the  middle  of  the  tank  for  proper  circular  motion  which  helped  me  a  lot  and  i  use  lily  pipe  in  the  same  filter  if  i  place  spray  bar  the  flow  current  will  be  very  strong  i  can  make  the  holes  little  larger  in  spray  bar  to  overcome  this  issue  but  don't  want  to  mess  up  with  original  spray  bar  so  i  changed  to  lily  pipe:),  if  you  have  watched  Takashi  amano  videos  he  always  says  the  flow  inside  tank  should  me  moderate  not  too  strong  or  low.

BBA  mainly  occurs  if  your  co2  is  not  stable  and  flow  distribution  also,  how  to  check  this?,  you  need  to  do  a  PH  profile  check  this  will  tell  you  whether  your  co2  is  stable  or  not,  check  the  PH  of  your  tank  before  you  switch  on  co2  say  7.5  then  switch  on  co2  and  after  that  once  your  light  come  up  i.e  after  1  1/2hr  -  2hr  check  your  ph  it  should've  reduced  to  1  i.e  6.5  if  not  your  co2  distribution  is  not  stable  then  you  need  to  check  the  way  to  distribute  properly.

The  best  way  to  measure  co2  is  drop  checker  only.  and  you  can  ask  how  my  co2  is  not  stable  when  you  inject  4  bps  constant,  the  main  reasons  for  unstable  co2  is  flow  distribution,  water  temperature  when  your  temperature  of  water  swings  your  co2  will  also  fluctuate  next  thing  any  debri  formation  in  your  diffuser   or  reactor.
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Thanks  for  your  inputs  Shelly  and  Andrew   Thumb Up  

@Shelly,
 >My  tank  is  two  months  old  and  the  bacteria  build  up  would  be  just  settling.  Is  it  ok  if  I  just  clean  the  Canister  filter  with  the  water  drained  from  my  tank?
 >Just  to  keep  the  CO2  consistent  I've  not  been  switching  it  off.  I've  been  vigilant  on  my  finned  buddies  looking  out  for  CO2  poisoning  though
 >Removing  Decayed  particles  is  something  which  I  haven't  been  doing  so  diligently   Crying or Very sad  .  I  was  under  the  impression  that,  the  decayed  matter  would  eventually  be  utilized  by  the  plants.  That's  how  it  happens  in  nature  right?  I  mean  we  see  the  plants  decaying  and  being  broken  down  by  nature  which  is  used  up  again.  

I  will  clean  my  filter  this  weekend  in  that  case.

@Andrew,
 The  mentioned  flow  rate  on  the  DoPhin  Canister  is  2650  ltrs/hr.  However,  I  have  read  that  the  flow  rate  decreases  due  to  the  following  factors:
 1.  Filter  Media:  The  media  offers  some  resistance  to  the  water  flow
 2.  Height  difference  between  the  Tank  and  the  Canister:  Generally  the  filter  rating  only  displays  the  output  but  there  will  be  a  decrease  in  that  due  to  the  bends  and  the  height  to  which  the  filter  pushes  the  water  to
 3.  Spray  bar  evens  out  the  flow   across  the  various  holes   

The  spray  bar  is  placed  at  the  Top  left  corner  and  pointing  towards  Bottom  right  corner  causing   a  deadspot  on  the  Bottom  left  corner.  I  want  to  address  that  as  well  (I  can't  add  the  attachment  right  now  otherwise  I  could've  atleast  put  up  a  flow  diagram  on   Paint  or  Word)

I  wish  I  had  read  more  on  these,  but  I  couldn't  even  have  dreamt  of  these  factors

Appreciate  your  inputs  and  help  Smile   Smile   Smile  

Regards,
 Karthik
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

If  your  tank  volume  is  250litre  then  the  filter  which  you  use  is  more  than  enough,  And  like  Shelly  mentioned  clean  it  once  in  a  month  so  your  output  flow  won't  reduce  and  can  eliminate  organic  waste  and  yes  clean  your  media  with  tank  water,  and  like  you  mentioned  yes  the  10%  flow  rate  will  decrease  after  adding  media  but  don't  jam  your  filter  with  media  because  beneficial  bacteria  won't  form  only  in  filter  it  will  form  in  your  substrate,  hard  scape  also  always  use  the  filter  media  volume  preferred  by  manufacture  then  your  flow  will  be  consistent  and  it's  always  better  to  use  activated  carbon  inside  filter  if  you  can  get  seachem  purigen  then  it's  good  because  you  can  regenerate  it  plenty  of  times  it  will  observe  all  your  impurities  in  the  water  column  and  you  can  see  crystal  clear  water.  if  your  canister  is  1  feet  below  your  tank  then  no  issues  for  your  flow.  you  mentioned  you  have  positioned  spray  bar  from  left  to  bottom  corner  so  you  pointed  your  spray  bar  from  top  to  bottom?  below  are  some  pics  i  have  added  for  better  understanding  mostly  people  will  keep  spray  bar  at  back  of  the  tank  for  better  distribution.

Do  note  people  get  confused  about  flow  and  distribution  say  your  filter  pumps  2000  liter  per  hour  for  a  200l  tank  then  it's  good  flow  but  distribution  is  something  the  force  of  the  water  current  inside  the  tank  say  for  example  if  you  have  1inch  narrow  outlet  then  the  force  will  be  high  so  your  distribution  will  improper  and  it  will  stress  your  fish  and  plant,  say  if  you  got  2inch  the  output  flow  will  be  same  but  distribution  will  be  gentle  hope  you  understand.  don't  worry  about  dead  spot  when  you  have  perfect  flow  filter  for  your  tank  volume  just  work  on  better  distribution.

And  your  tank  is  just  2  months  old  so  need  to  worry  about  anything  once  your  plant  established  it  will  overtake  all  kind  of  algae,  initial   stage  start  with  less  photo-period  you  will  see  your  plants  settling  fast.  sounds  like  you  keeping  co2  on  24/7  that's  totally  waste  bring  your  co2  on  2  hours  before  switching  on  light  and  switch  off  1  hour  before  light  goes  off.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

In  simple  terms,  have  good  filtration  and  flow.  If  you  see  dirt  collecting  at  a  particular  place  in  the  tank,  then  you  have  a  dead  spot  where  there  is  no  water  flow.  Then  you  need  to  change  the  direction  of  output  to  avoid  it.  may  be  add  an  other  power  head.
 Forget  all  the  mumbo-jumbo  about  that  water  flow  topic.  

Like  Trevor  used  to  say  "algae  is  like  pimples  on  a  teenager"  every  one  gets  them,  its  a  phase  and  you  will  learn  how  to  avoid  it  in  due  course  Cheer Up
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Andrew,

Please  refer  the  pic  below:

The  area  in  and  around  the  Red  Circle  usually  collects  the  most  dirt  and  the  growth  over  there  is  low.   
 A  per  today's  conversation,  I'm  planning  to  do  the  following  things:
 1.  Shift  the  outlet  and  the  inlet  towards  the  same  side  of  the  tank  (preferably  towards  the  left)
 2.  Replace  the  spray  bar  with  a  Lilly  pipe  -  The  idea  of  this  is  to  ensure  that  I  create  a  healthy  distribution  of  water  and  allow  the  Water  to  have  a  full  flow  along  the  circumference  of  the  tank.  Most  likely  will  place  it  towards  the  Top  Left  so  that  water  flows  along  the  glass  towards  the  back  glass  and  takes  a  full  circle  before  exitting  the  tank.
 3.  Add  a  powerhead  or  a  wavemaker  towards  the  front  on  the  right  side  of  the  tank  
 4.  Reduce  the  flowrate  of  the  Canister  to  ensure  I  do  not  stress  out  the  Fish

My  aim  is  to  finally  achieve  the  flow  as  below:

Also,  as  per  your  Pic1  I  would  assume  that  the  "Right"  flow  directs  both  the  Water  inflows  directed  towards  each  other  and  might  reduce  the  flow  towards  the  middle?

Apologies  for  any  naive  Questions  I've  been  asking!

Preetham,
 I'm  having  trouble  in  deciding  it.  So,  getting  the  expert  advice  here.  Also,  it's  fun  if  you  know  why  and  what  you  are  doing?  After  all  that's  the  whole  point   Very Happy  

Regards,
 Karthik
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2014 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

HI  Karthik,

1.  Shift  the  outlet  and  the  inlet  towards  the  same  side  of  the  tank  (preferably  towards  the  left)

You  can  keep  anywhere  no  big  deal  but  mostly  they  keep  same  side

2.  Replace  the  spray  bar  with  a  Lilly  pipe  -  The  idea  of  this  is  to  ensure  that  I  create  a  healthy  distribution  of  water  and  allow  the  Water  to  have  a  full  flow  along  the  circumference  of  the  tank.  Most  likely  will  place  it  towards  the  Top  Left  so  that  water  flows  along  the  glass  towards  the  back  glass  and  takes  a  full  circle  before  exitting  the  tank.

your  distribution  looks  damn  strong  in  the  tank(your  plants  show  that  in  the  pic),  i  doubt  for  dead  spots  in  your  tank,  better  try  some  DIY  spray  bar  by  increasing  the  hole  size  and  check  whether  you  get   proper  distribution  and  gentle  flow  around  the  tank  and  if  you  like  to  get  lily  pipe  then  check  by  making  DIY  lily  pipe  using  plastic  bottle  once  you  satisfied  then  go  for  it,  i  checked  with  plastic  bottles  and  then  only  shifted  to  lily  pipe  below  is  the  video  for  DIY  lily  pipe  and  flow  distribution  for  you  to  get  ideas  use  from  500ml  to  2  litre  bottle  for  testing  and  it's  fun  to  do  it  Very Happy  ,  if  you  see  the  below  videos  the  flow  will  be  strong  but  gentle  around  the  tank.  and  here  your  eye  is  the  better  judge  Smile  

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Tqwga3yl90

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zunXTHGvSLA&list=UUuQslSO8_0kjAQsRv6YS7YA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mEUQjG4lfKc&list=UUuQslSO8_0kjAQsRv6YS7YA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3tjHyQhmpQ&list=UUCrPNIv51uC33W8WeKLSAvQ

3.  Add  a  power  head  or  a  wave  maker  towards  the  front  on  the  right  side  of  the  tank

i  think  you  have  10x  filter  with  good  flow  for  your  tank  so  no  need  of  any  extra  power  head  or  wave  maker  

4.  Reduce  the  flow  rate  of  the  Canister  to  ensure  I  do  not  stress  out  the  Fish  

Never  do  that  by  doing  that  you  give  more  pressure  to  your  filter  which  cause  malfunctioning  always  try  to  adjust  in  the  outlet  pipe  making  big  or  small  according  to  your  tank.

place  the  spray  bar  straight  so  that  you  will  get  more  distribution  around  tank  don't  tilt  downwards  or  upwards  and  place  spray  bar  1-2  inch  below  your  water  surface.

i  bought  lily  pipe  from  below  site  it's  pretty  cheap  and  if  you  know  somebody  who  sells  cheaper  then  them  let  me  know  Chuckle  and  tell  them  clearly  not  spin  model  because  they  send  me  spin  model  and  they  replaced  again,  for  you  16mm  will  be  good  

http://umino.in/27-aquarium-small-accessories

Hope  the  above  helps  you.
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: Advice on Ideal Waterflow characteristics for Planted Ta Reply with quote

Thanks  All,

Apologies  for  the  delayed  response.  I  was  caught  up  with  a  lot  of  things  and  couldn't  update  the  status.

I  have  added  a  lilly  pipe  and  made  the  changes.  The  flow  seems  to  be  better.  

But  there  is  a  new  issue  with  bugs  though.   Wall Bang  
 If  anybody  has  encountered  these  then  kindly  let  me  know  the  solution  to  get  rid  of  them  and  also  the  possible  causes  

The  bugs  are  the  white  dots  in  the  picture.  They  have  been  infested  on  the  substrate,  driftwood  and  few  places  on  the  glass  sporadically.

Apologies  for  the  poor  picture  quality
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: