57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 4:35 pm Post subject: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

I  went  on  a  trip  to  collect  some  plants.  Once  I  saw  the  fish  in  the  river,  I  thought  I  want  them  identified  -  so  caught  a  couple  of  specimens  of  each  variety  that  I  saw  (with  the  full  intention  of  returning  them  back  -  maybe  this  weekend).  

Could  the  experts  help  me  identify  this  fish  please.  It  had  distinct  black  markings  on  the  body  which  is  faded  now  due  to  stress.  It  is  a  nest  builder  and  the  juveniles  shoal  around  the  adult.  In  the  aquarium  it  prefers  to  hide  under  rocks  and  plants  and  ingests  and  spits  out  sand  regularly.  

I  caught  some  rasbora,  barbs  and  catfish.  Will  upload  those  photos  in  a  bit.

Thank  you  in  advance.

WR
justshan21
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 5:35 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Etroplus  maculatus  aka  orange  chromide
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

aah  -  thanks!  The  great  google  gods  said  the  same  thing  but  it  is  always  better  to  ask  the  experts.  Now,  how  do  I  identify  if  this  guy  is  a  male  or  a  female?  

What  about  this  tiny  but  beautiful  guy?  Who  is  he?
KarthikC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:56 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

I  think  this  is  the  indian  glass  fish.  Parambassis  (ranga?)
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2015 11:12 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Thanks  Karthik.  I  would  be  tempted  to  say  P.lala  because  of  the  stripe  pattern  (very  slightly  visible  in  this  pic)  and  the  fact  that  they  have  red  finnage  (in  addition  to  the  blue  edge).  What  do  you  think?
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2015 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Presumably  this  is  rasbora  dandiya?
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2015 4:40 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

That  is  indeed  P.lala,  the  cyprinid  is  Rasbora  dandiya.
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:03 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Thanks  shovelnose.  Much  appreciated.  Just  a  few  more  to  go  now......

Here  is  another  barb  that  I  managed  to  get  a  good  shot  of  today.  what  type  of  fish  is  this?

WR
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 5:13 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Just  checking  back  if  someone  could  help  me  identify  the  last  barb?
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:13 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Good  Collection  Kaushik   Thumbs Up
Abramites
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 23, 2015 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Nice  collection.Even  more  nice  is  the  intention  to  release  it  back.  Please  update  your  location.  I  am  curious  to  know  where  near  Chennai  Palar  has  water.?

Regards
 S.Suresh
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Thanks  Rahul  and  Suresh.  And,  Oops  -  the  best  intentions  are  waylaid  by  vicarious  thoughts.  I  decided  instead  to  setup  a  biotope!  Here's  a  FTS  of  what  it  started  out  as  a  few  weeks  ago.  I  left  the  top  open  since  I  wanted  to  have  some  reeds  also  in  this.  Except  for  the  Etroplus  Sr,  who  ate  up  a  Junior  Etroplus,  all  other  fish  are  fine.  I  kept  them  after  IDíng  them  and  realized  that  none  were  threatened  or  endangered.  The  sheer  educational  value  of  something  like  this  in  the  living  room  is  enormous.  People  always  comment  on  how  drab  the  fish  look  and  I  should  get  some  colorful  ones.  Then  when  I  tell  them  -  these  are  the  "eri"  or  "sethu"  meen  (lake  and  muck  respectively)  that  they  dont  give  a  second  thought  about  -  they  notice!

The  fish  are  thriving  in  fact  although  they  seem  to  hate  the  bright  lights  at  the  moment.  Food  gets  eaten  up  in  an  instant.  The  catfish  are  just  bullies  and  only  the  much  larger  Etroplus  seems  to  be  able  to  tell  them  off.  I  am  hoping  to  plant  the  remaining  plants  I  found  in  the  river  sometime  soon  -  just  wanted  to  make  sure  that  the  fish  survived  first  and  I  had  the  right  combination  of  plants  for  the  light  that  I  have  installed.
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Hi  Kaushik,

That  drift  wood  remmember  me  about  Tom  Crusie  movie  War  Of  Words  the  drift  wood  is  looking  straight  from  the  science  fiction  movie.  ROFL
kaushik_thebirdman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

Haha  -  yeah.  The  driftwood  does  not  sit  like  that  in  the  river  bed  but  I  took  a  little  bit  of  creative  license.

And,  to  answer  Suresh's  question  -  along  the  East  Coast  Road,  where  the  Palar  causeway  is  -  there  are  little  rivulets  of  fresh  water  in  the  river!
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2015 10:36 am Post subject: Re: Help in ID of fishes from Palar - near Chennai Reply with quote

The  last  barb  looks  like  a  ticto
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: