114. Guest
115. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2015 1:19 pm Post subject: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Hi  All,

I  started  a  new  tank
 Size:  36X18X18
 Substarte:  ADA  Amazonia
 Rocks  :  ADA
 Plants:  HC  Cuba,  Java  Fern,  Bolbitis,  Fissidence  Sp.  Mini  ,  Hydrocotyle  Sibthorpioides,  Staurogyne  Repens

Light  :  Aquazonic  T5  4X39  Watt  12000  K     --  7  hrs  a  day
 Co2  -  Presurrized  ,  3-4  BPS
 External  Filter  -  SunSun  HW302
 Powerhead  -  one  extra  on  opposite  site  of  external  filter  outlet,  to  give  round  flow  across  aquarium

Fert  -  Step  1,  2  ml  every  day
               Plant  Food  -  10  ml  every  day,  black  colour  bottle

Issue:  See  the  below  attached  pics,  algae  is  covering  the  HC  Cuba,  and  other  plants.

Water  Change  -  Every  Day  2  bucket,  and  on  weekend  3-4  bucket.

Please  suggest  what  action  to  be  taken.

Fishes:  3-4  tetra  for  cycling,  1  too,  2  cherry  shrimp,  4  rill  yellow
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

No  suggestion's  yet  Sad
 Please  suggest.
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 1:44 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Hi  ,

The  kind  of  setup  which  i  can  see  from  the  3  rd  picture  i  think  7  hours  a  day  light  is  to  high  for  this  kind  of  setup  since  it  is  new  also  light  hours  has  to  increase  slowly  as  your  setup  get  matures.

Things  to  do  

1.  Lower  the  light  to  about  3  hrs  a  day
 2.  Keep  doing  water  change  every  2  days.
 3.  If  you  have  old  tooth  brush  try  to  remove  as  many  algae  as  you  can.
 4.  check  your  external  filter  for  flow  of  water  also.
 5.  Reduce  the  amount  of  food  to  fishes.
 6.  Reduce  Co2  to  1  BPS  

Regards
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

@Rahul_Discus

1.  Light  I  will  reduce.
 2.  Water  as  said  am  changiing  daily  15-20%
 3.  Am  manually  removing  as  much  as  possible.
 4.  Flow  is  good,  as  I  mentioned  above  also,  have  added  extra  head  diagnaly  opposite  to  make  round  the  aquarium  flow.
 5.  I  have  only  3  fish  ,  and  i  feed  hardly  once  or  twice   in  week.

6.  Will  lowering  Co2  help  ?
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Hi  

I  don't  think  so  that  lowering  Co2  will  help.  

It  happens  due  to  dis  balance  of  CO2  &  Light.

5  hrs.  of  lighting  is  sufficient.

Try  to  change  more  volume  of  water.  If  possible  next  couple  of  weeks  daily.

And  at  the  same  point  of  time  try  to  remove  manually  as  much  as  possible.

Try  to  add  couple  of  black  molly(small)  and  stop  feeding.

Hope  it  will  help  you.
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2015 4:44 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

HI,

I  also  have  one  doubt  when  you  did  this  setup  have  you  treated  the  plants  with  potassium  Permagnet  before  introducing  it  to  your  tank

might  be  it  must  have  come  from  one  of  your  plants  you  buyed.
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 1:12 am Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Rahul_Discus  wrote  (View  Post):                
HI,
 ]
   I  also  have  one  doubt  when  you  did  this  setup  have  you  treated  the  plants  with  potassium  Permagnet  before  introducing  it  to  your  tank

might  be  it  must  have  come  from  one  of  your  plants  you  buyed.                

They  dip  the  plant  in  potassium  permanganate  to  kill  any  snails  or  other  insect  which  is  really  good,  and  algae  doesn't  spread  like  that  so  no  worries.

Algae  comes  when  your  tank  is  not  balanced,  but  in  your  case  it's  new  setup  so  it's  common  to  see  diatom  algae  once  your  tank  mature  it  will  go,  but  you  got  hair  algae  because  your  lighting  is  too  much  switch  off  1  set  light  and  use  only  2  bulbs  and  have  only  4hrs  photo-period  for  1st  4  weeks  then  increase  gradually,  like  Abhi  said  put  some  small  molly  because  big  one  will  uproot  the  foreground  plant  when  they  eat  algae.

Light  is  your  issue  reduce  the  lighting  you  will  see  magic  in  3-4  days  time  Smile  and  if  you  planted  HC  cuba  you  should  have  24-26  degree  water  temp  for  them  to  catch  up  fast  and  settle,  so  have  a  eye  on  that  too.
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

I  majorly  would  say  that  the  lighting  is  not  proper.

You  are  using  12000K  spectrum  tubes  which  are  generally  used  for  a  Marine  tank.  

For  a  planted  tank,  you  need  in  the  spectrum  of  5000K  -  8000K.  Preferably  6500K.  Try  changing  the  light  spectrum,  then  you  will  see  the  change  in  your  tank.   Thumb Up
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2015 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

What  Shelly  said  is  right,  but  the  problem  is  getting  the  tubes  you  won't  find  3feet  T5HO  with  6500k  spectrum  in  3  feet  only  few  shops  will  have  that  too  3feet  T5  which  is  21w  6500k  not  T5HO.  so  it's  better  to  increase  the  height  of  the  light  from  surface  of  the  water,  i  also  use  the  same  fixture  because  of  spectrum  issue  i  increased  the  height  below  is  the  pic  of  your  understanding.

and  also  go  through  the  below  chart

Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Hi  All,

Aparts  from  the  above,  Isn't  the  dosing  also  causing  the  issue  ?
 I  was  thinking  that,  since  this  is  a  new  setup  and  the  plants  are  not  pretty  much  absorbing  the  nutrients.  
 Also,  the  hair  algae  is  usually  found  when  there  is  too  much  nutrients  present  in  the  tank  (Ofcourse,  we  cannot  stop  the  dosing  completely).

This  is  a  pretty  common  issue  in  a  new  Aquarium  and  is  can  be  overcome  by  planting  fast  growing  stem  plants  initially.  This  can  be  removed  once  the  tank  is  stable  and  the  other  desired  plants  grow  sufficiently.

It  helps  if  we  remove  the  algae  initially,  otherwise  it  can  be  a  pain  to  remove  it  once  it  is  all  over  the  tank

Kindly  correct  me  if  I'm  wrong  (I'm  still  a  Rookie  Smile   )

Thanks,
 Karthik
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

@abhis9  :  have  added  a  pair  of  mollie
 @Rahul_Discus  :  Have  not  treated  it  with  potassium  permagenate

@Shelly  :You  pointed  out  it  earlier,  as  per  @Andrew  am  increasing  the  distance  of  the  light  and  surface.

Looking  for  Yamato/amano  shrimp,  plz  suggest  if  i  can  get  it  from  somewhere.
Rahul_Discus
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

HI,

Yamato  and  or  amano  shrip  will  not  help  you  in  getting  rid  of  hair  algae
ashirahmed
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

@Rahul_Discus  :  Then  any  suggestion  ?
Karthik1521
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

Hi,

You  could  just  use  the  brush  removal  method  as  the  Hair  Grass  issues  wouldn't  last  long  if  you  get  the  other  things  right.
 I  have  had  this  issue  twice  till  date.  Once,  during  the  setup  of  my  new  tank,
 Second,  after  I  did  some  major  trimmings(3  months  later).  

Please  note,  at  both  points  the  nutrients  absorption  were  low.
 But  the  important  part  is  that  you  remove  them  as  soon  as  you  notice  it.

Ofcourse,  since  you  are  already  adjusting  the  lights.  The  only  other  thing  is  doing  the  Water  changes
 Link

Thanks,
 Karthik
PULSARABHI
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2015 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: Hair Algae Issue | Please suggest Reply with quote

In  addition  to  all  the  great  info  above,  you  can  also  try  changing  your  photo  period.
 I  have  had  hair  algae  recently  and  am  still  battling  it  (got  lot  of  help  from  IAH  friends).  
 While  browsing  for  info,  I  came  across  this  blog  which  said  algae  will  not  like  it  if  we  break  down  the  photo-period  into  2  slots  of  3  hours  rather  than  a  single  6  hours.
 It  also  said  plants  are  not  very  much  affected  by  this.

I  didn't  get  the  logic  completely,  but  I  have  tried  this  on  my  tank  and  have  seen  considerable  decrease  in  the  algae.
 Hope  it  will  make  a  positive  difference  to  you  too.

And  like  Karthik  has  pointed  out  above,  excess  nutrients  may  be  one  of  the  issue  here,  especially  when  you  have  had  a  major  trimming  done.
 Personally,  I  would  add  some  activated  carbon  in  the  filter  to  suck  out  the  nutrients,  and  start  dosing  again  once  there  is  considerable  regrowth  in  the  trimmed  plants.
 I  have  not  tried  it  yet,  so  can't  vouch  for  this  method.  Experts  please  correct  me  if  my  understanding  is  off  course.

Good  Luck   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: