69. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,911

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Algae Algae
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Algae Algae
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
For  addressing  hard  water  issue  ,  you  can  buy  the  20ltr  can  that  you  get  in  town,  supplied  at  40-50  rupees  a  can.  You  may  need  three  such  cans.  Keep  the  third  one  with  whatever  remains  in  it  and  use  it  for  changes  or  top-ups.  ┬áCompared  to  your  investment  so  far  made  on  the  set-up,  it  is  worth  it  buying  RO/mineral  water  and  use  only  that.  Using  RO  from  home  set-up  is  expensive  in  long  run.                

RO  is  easily  available  .  I  will  try  it.  But  i  heard  people  saying  that  RO  has  zero  minerals  and  salts  which  is  harmful  to  fish.  So  i  will  start  with  partial  mixing.
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Diana  Walstad's  method  refers  to  tanks  with  soil  substrate  and  low  light  no  Co2  setups.
 The  basic  premise  of  this  method  is  that  the  nutrients  generated  by  fish  are  alone  sufficient  for  plants,  and  their  growth  is  slow  but  steady.
 This  cannot  be  replicated  in  a  tank  with  nutrient  rich  soil.
 Do  not  stop  dosing,  else  you  will  run  into  nutrient  deficiency.  
 ADA  tanks  require  additional  dosing  of  potassium  as  it  is  not  present  in  the  substrate.  In  absence  of  potassium  the  leaves  will  start  getting  holes.
 The  only  effective  way  to  reduce  hardness  of  water  is  to  use  RO  water.
 There  are  two  components  of  water  hardness,  GH  and  KH,  you  need  to  lower  both  to  get  soft,  trying  to  change  only  one  with  chemicals  will  only  result  in  disaster.
 Get  a  GH/  KH  test  kit.
 Below  is  link  to  series  of  two  artciles  In  wrote  on  the  subject  the  second  one  details  on  how  to  soften  your  water  over  a  period  of  time.

Water  parameters  in  Aquariums

How  to  soften  water                

Thank  you  for  providing  me  the  study  notes.  I  will  mix  RO  water  and  test  for  GH/KH  .  Will  post  my  updates  soon.i'm  planning  to  purchase  API  complete  test  kit.  please  share  your  opinion.
khandar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 I  agree  with  some  things  said,  and  disagree  with  some.  
 The  hobby  should  be  enjoyable  at  the  end  of  the  day,  and  fighting  too  much  with  your  water  is  time  and  energy  consuming.  Since  you  have  already  done  most  of  your  homework  well,  you  can  take  it  easy  after  this.  
 The  problem  with  your  tank  is  too  much  fertilization  at  the  beginning.  IMO  fertilization  should  be  started  only  when  the  plants  tell  you  they  need  nutrients.  You  can  wait  for  those  first  few  holes,  as  Sandeep  said,  to  start  showing  up  to  start  dosing  nutrients  (and  at  that  start  with  only  K).  I  have  found  API  leafzone  to  be  nice  in  that  matter  since  it  contains  iron  and  potassium,  two  of  things  missing  from  Amazonia  and  food.  

Also,  it  helps  to  progressively  increase  your  photoperiod.  It  is  not  essential  that  lights  be  on  for  6-10  hours.  My  tanks  run  well  with  just  four  hours  of  intense  lighting.  For  you,  I  would  suggest  running  lights  for  five  hours  for  a  while  till  the  algae  issues  are  resolved,  and  the  plants  have  started  catching  up.  
 Also,  you  can  overdose  liquid  CO2  /  gluteraldehyde  to  3x  the  recommended  dosage  (5  ml  per  200  liter  water,  please  cross  check)  to  control  the  algae,  and  keep  dosing  at  the  standard  dosage  once  the  algae  has  disappeared.  
 The  mollies  should  also  help.  

In  your  other  thread,  you  had  talked  about  more  light.  That  is  always  a  possibility.  You  can  definitely  go  up  to  3  to  4  wpg  with  your  setup.  But  you  are  attched  to  the  ferns,  with  which  I  don't  have  recent  experience.  

Thanks,  
 Arin
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 10:41 am Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

khandar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Prannoy,
 I  agree  with  some  things  said,  and  disagree  with  some.  
 The  hobby  should  be  enjoyable  at  the  end  of  the  day,  and  fighting  too  much  with  your  water  is  time  and  energy  consuming.  Since  you  have  already  done  most  of  your  homework  well,  you  can  take  it  easy  after  this.  
 The  problem  with  your  tank  is  too  much  fertilization  at  the  beginning.  IMO  fertilization  should  be  started  only  when  the  plants  tell  you  they  need  nutrients.  You  can  wait  for  those  first  few  holes,  as  Sandeep  said,  to  start  showing  up  to  start  dosing  nutrients  (and  at  that  start  with  only  K).  I  have  found  API  leafzone  to  be  nice  in  that  matter  since  it  contains  iron  and  potassium,  two  of  things  missing  from  Amazonia  and  food.  

Also,  it  helps  to  progressively  increase  your  photoperiod.  It  is  not  essential  that  lights  be  on  for  6-10  hours.  My  tanks  run  well  with  just  four  hours  of  intense  lighting.  For  you,  I  would  suggest  running  lights  for  five  hours  for  a  while  till  the  algae  issues  are  resolved,  and  the  plants  have  started  catching  up.  
 Also,  you  can  overdose  liquid  CO2  /  gluteraldehyde  to  3x  the  recommended  dosage  (5  ml  per  200  liter  water,  please  cross  check)  to  control  the  algae,  and  keep  dosing  at  the  standard  dosage  once  the  algae  has  disappeared.  
 The  mollies  should  also  help.  

In  your  other  thread,  you  had  talked  about  more  light.  That  is  always  a  possibility.  You  can  definitely  go  up  to  3  to  4  wpg  with  your  setup.  But  you  are  attched  to  the  ferns,  with  which  I  don't  have  recent  experience.  

Thanks,  
 Arin                

Hi  Khandar  ji,
 Thank  you  for  your  reply.  Its  true  that  i'm  struggling  with  water  and  algae  issues.  But,  after  following  the  suggestions  in  previous  comments,  algae  issue  is  almost  cleared.  Only  water  hardness  and  temperature  ha  to  be  controlled.
 As  you  suggested,  i  bought  API  leaf  zone  yesterday.  Will  start  dosing  .  Smile
wads
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:34 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,  

Just  in  continuation  to  Arin's  note,  please  be  careful  when  adding  Glut  in  Excess.  It  can  damage  some  of  the  plants  and  also  tend  to  harm  the  livestock.
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2015 1:10 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

wads  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Prannoy,  

Just  in  continuation  to  Arin's  note,  please  be  careful  when  adding  Glut  in  Excess.  It  can  damage  some  of  the  plants  and  also  tend  to  harm  the  livestock.                

I  stopped  dosing  flourish  excel.  Right  now  i'm  using  pressurised  co2  in  excess.  Some  plants  already  lost  their  leaves  leaving  behind  the  stem  due  to  excel.  All  live  stock  including  shrimps  are  fine.  Waiting  for  new  leaves  to  grow.
 Thank  you  wads.  Smile
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 10:55 am Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

change  water  everyday  up  to  50%  and  give  less  food  and  keep  lights  off  for  sometime  of  the  day.........
khandar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 16, 2015 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 I  did  forget  to  mention  that  some  plants  are  sensitive  to  excel  Thanks  to  wads  for  pointing  that  out.  
 The  plants  that  are  sensitive,  typically  do  not  tolerate  any  excel.  I  mentioned  3x  the  recommended  dosage  as  I  have  personally  gone  up  that  far  for  two  weeks  +  without  any  problems.  

And  please  don't  add  a  'ji'  at  the  end  of  my  name...:-).
 Thanks,  
 Arin
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:03 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Deba  wrote  (View  Post):                
change  water  everyday  up  to  50%  and  give  less  food  and  keep  lights  off  for  sometime  of  the  day.........                

Hi  Deba,
 Now  the  algae  is  under  control.  I  did  water  changes  as  mentioned.  Even  feeding  is  controlled.
 Thank  you.   Smile
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2015 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 I  did  forget  to  mention  that  some  plants  are  sensitive  to  excel  Thanks  to  wads  for  pointing  that  out.  
 The  plants  that  are  sensitive,  typically  do  not  tolerate  any  excel.  I  mentioned  3x  the  recommended  dosage  as  I  have  personally  gone  up  that  far  for  two  weeks  +  without  any  problems.  

And  please  don't  add  a  'ji'  at  the  end  of  my  name...:-).
 Thanks,  
 Arin                

Hi  Khandar,
 My  plants  lost  most  of  the  leaves.  Some  stems  are  completely  naked.I'm  not  sure  if  they  grow  back  or  not,  but  hoping  for  the  best.  Surprised
khandar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 Hang  in  there.  
 There  is  no  guarantee  that  all  plants  will  bounce  back  from  whatever  onslaught  you  have  treated  them  to.  
 Please  understand  that  this  is  not  exact  science.  
 I  understand  that  it  may  be  hard,  but  can  you  please  post  a  tank  pic  at  this  moment?  Try  to  show  the  plants  that  are  the  worst  hit.  
 Your  current  lighting  /  fertilization  (if  any)  schedule  would  also  help.  
 Thanks,  
 Arin
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2015 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 Hang  in  there.  
 There  is  no  guarantee  that  all  plants  will  bounce  back  from  whatever  onslaught  you  have  treated  them  to.  
 Please  understand  that  this  is  not  exact  science.  
 I  understand  that  it  may  be  hard,  but  can  you  please  post  a  tank  pic  at  this  moment?  Try  to  show  the  plants  that  are  the  worst  hit.  
 Your  current  lighting  /  fertilization  (if  any)  schedule  would  also  help.  
 Thanks,  
 Arin                

Sick  Okay..i'm  out  of  station.  Will  post  pics  as  soon  as  i  get  them.
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Khandar,
 This  is  the  latest  pic  after  treatment.
 I've  moved  HC  mat  to  another  tank.  (Left  it  to  nature).   Let  me  see  how  it  grows  without  CO2  &  ferts.

khandar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 22, 2015 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 It  doesn't  look  bad.  
 There  is  new  growth,  and  things  appear  to  be  algae  free.
 Don't  worry  about  older  stems.  
 After  the  new  ones  grow  for  a  while,  you  can  trim  and  replant  them.  
 At  that  time,  you  can  also  consider  taking  the  older  stems  out.
 Thanks,
 Arin
Prannoy
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 23, 2015 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: Algae Algae Reply with quote

Dear  Prannoy,
 It  doesn't  look  bad.  
 There  is  new  growth,  and  things  appear  to  be  algae  free.
 Don't  worry  about  older  stems.  
 After  the  new  ones  grow  for  a  while,  you  can  trim  and  replant  them.  
 At  that  time,  you  can  also  consider  taking  the  older  stems  out.
 Thanks,
 Arin                

Okay.  I  will  replace  old  stems  with  new  ones.  Hope  that  brings  a  fresh  look  to  the  tank  again.  Thank  you.  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: