67. Guest
68. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - ideal size for Shrimp Cube
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

ideal size for Shrimp Cube

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Invertebrates
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2015 6:05 pm Post subject: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

Dear  All,  I  am  planning  setup  a  Shrimp  tank  with  Sponge  Filter/DIY  LED.  Plants  will  go  for  Ferns.

I  would  want  to  design  my  tank  as  Cube  either  1.5*1.5*1.5  Feet  or  2*2*2  feet.  Please  suggest  the  size  of  the  cube  on  your  experience.  Or  another  size  recommendation  is  also  welcome.

Chennaite's,  please  let  me  know  where  can  I  buy  the  ULTRA  clear  glass  for  this  tank.

Thanks,
 Mohan
Sandeep1982
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2015 9:33 am Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

Hi  Mohan  

I  also  bit  in  confusion  over  the  size  of  shrimps  cube  any  size  wise.  Then  I  decided  to  developed  2*2*2  tank  and  trust  me  it  look  huge  and  perfect  in  sence  we  can  develop  any  special  themes  or  any  landscapes  for  shrimps  home..  go  for  it  man  

But  make  sure  exact  glass  size  for  bottom  glass  otherwise  for  assembly  it  give  u  troubles  for  pasting  

Best  wishes
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2015 1:01 pm Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

keeping  the  long  term  in  mind,  go  for  the  biggest  size  you  can  accommodate.  more  water  =  lesser  maintenance,  and  vice  versa.  

2x2x2  at  least.
pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 09, 2015 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

Thanks,  Sandeep  and  Chetan.

Any  recommendation  on  Filter...sponge  filter  vs  Hang  on  filter?
Chetan3
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 10, 2015 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

Sponge  is  good  for  biofiltration.  But  has  two  cons:
 1.  Not  the  best  option  for  mechanical  filtration.  You  may  end  up  with  higher  ratio  of  perpetual  suspended  particles.
 2.  Provides  very  vigorous  surface  agitation.  You  don't  want  that  if  you  going  for  a  CO2  system  or  generally  plan  of  planted  tank.

Hang-on  back  filter  is  capable  of  all  types  of  filtration.  Has  a  cool  waterfall  look.  But  keep  in  mind:
 1.  The  waterfall  can  cause  a  lot  of  agitation  as  well.  But  it  can  be  controlled  by  raising  the  water  level  so  that  only  mild  surface  agitation  occurs.  Check  the  tank  journal  in  my  signature  on  more  info.
 2.  The  inbuilt  mechanical  filter  stops  performing  after  some  time.  So  need  to  replace  it  with  a  good  foam.

I  recommend  either  a  hang-on  back  or  a  top  filter,  if  you  are  on  low  budget.  Else  go  for  an  external  filter.

For  HOB  and  top,  make  sure  you  add  a  good  sponge  foam  pad.  It  will  give  awesome  mechanical  and  bio  filtration  (though  for  bio  you  should  also  add  ceramic  rings  or  something  for  the  colony  to  live  in).

Don't  bother  with  the  disposable  filter  wool  you  get  in  LFS.  Too  much  replacement  hassle.  Get  something  like  this  that'll  last  forever  ...

Or  buy  a  scotch  brite  with  foam.  Cut  out  the  green  part  (because  that  gets  clogged  too  soon).

pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:16 pm Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

Thanks  Chetan  !!  I  will  take  your  input  and  plan  for  Hang-On-Filter.

Thanks,
 Mohan
sathy83
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 1:50 am Post subject: Re: ideal size for Shrimp Cube Reply with quote

A  little  more  pointers  if  am  not  too  late

Bigger  the  tank  size,  the  more  stable  the  water  conditions  can  be.
 If  you  are  planning  to  go  with  Hang  on  filter  make  sure  to  add  pre-filter  sponge  in  the  inlet  to  avoid  shrimps/shrimplets  getting  sucked  into.  

For  Chennai  conditions:
 Go  for  LED's,  other  lights  dissipates  more  heat  (low  light  is  suffice  if  shrimp  is  your  priority  and  not  plants)
 Lighting  cycle:  from  early  morning  to  before  noon  unless  if  the  tank  is  going  to  be  in  an  air  conditioned  room.
 Place  some  clay  pots  to  provide  cool  spots.
pxk587
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 11:39 am Post subject: Re: Shrimp Cube - working on LED Reply with quote

Sathish,  thx  for  your  advice.

Yes  I  already  cut  the  tank  glass  as  18  *  18  *  18  based  on  the  IAH  suggestion.

Now  it  the  time  for  light,  again  you  are  at  the  right  time  advised  me  to  go  for  LED  which  I  am  actually  working  on.

Note:  I  saw  you  blog  and  got  some  idea  to  pickup  the  stones/pebbles/wood  from  Palar  River  (as  I  am  from  Kanchipuram)  to  setup  the  Shrimp  tank.

Thanks,
 Mohan
sathy83
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: Shrimp Cube - working on LED Reply with quote

pxk587  wrote  (View  Post):                

Note:  I  saw  you  blog  and  got  some  idea  to  pickup  the  stones/pebbles/wood  from  Palar  River  (as  I  am  from  Kanchipuram)  to  setup  the  Shrimp  tank.

Be  aware  that  those  rocks  can  alter  your  water  parameter  increase  pH  and  TDS.  What  species  of  shrimps  are  you  planning  for  Neocaridina  or  Caridina  species?

Neocaridina   -  (fire  red,  yellow,  blue   srhimps  )  these  shrimp  are  hardy  and  can  survive  pH  of  7  plus  and  TDS  over  500  -600  
 where  as  caridina  are  very  very  sensitive  species.  
 pH  5.5  -  6.5  
 KH  0  -  2
 GH  4  -  6  
 TDS  -  100  -  200
 NH3  -  0
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Invertebrates All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: