207. Guest
208. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers©
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers©
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:39 pm Post subject: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Long  time  no  see,  guys?  

Yes,  I  know!  I  know!  I  have  been  lazy  and  all  that.  But  what  to  do?  Work,  work  and  more  work.  Pffftttttt......
 But  never  you  fear,  you  can  never  keep  a  fish  lover  and  native  fishes  away  for  too  long.  Errrrr,  did  I  say  Native  fishes.....I  meant  any  fishes,  even  Gambusia  :halo:

Now  enough  of  the  preamble  and  coming  to  the  main  story.....
 The  last  major  Habitat  study  trip  participated  by  me  was  in  Feb-2013.  But  as  I  grudgingly  watched  in  the  intervening  time,  my  friends  the  Fishchasers©  went  about  their  passion  of  habitat  study  trips  without  having  really  forgotten  me.  Come  October  2015  the  Grapevine(Gossip)  was  active  in  a  hardcore  hobbyist  message  list  about  a  trip  being  planned.  Work  or  no  work,  time  to  gird  up  the  loins  and  wet  the  feet.

The  day  was  decided  and  the  preparation  went  full  swing.  Deepak  satyanarayan  did  all  the  planning......  like  the  place  to  go,  stay,  recce,  study  or  collect.  Beta  Mahatvaraj  and  Venketachalam  Nataraj  of  Chennai(  yeah!  the  same  Chennai  of  the  recent  downpour  fame)  were  to  travel  by  train  to  Mysore  and  join  Deepak  there.  Another  keen  hobbyist  and  a  valuable  member  of  ASK  Ricky  Madappa  was  to  join  us  in  Madikeri.

Started  off  at  sharp  5.00am  on  13th  Nov  2015.  Drive  from  Bangalore  to  Mysore  was  uneventful  and  reached  at  exactly  8.00am.  Beta  and  Venkat  had  already  reached  Mysore  at  7.15am,  and  no  time  was  wasted  in  setting  off.  After  a  hearty  Breakfast  at  a  Hotel  near  Deepak's  house,  set  off  for  Madikeri(Coorg)  and  reached  exactly  at  11.00am.  We  had  informed  Ricky  that  we  will  reach  around  12.00pm,  and  he  had  planned  accordingly.  So  we  reached  our  roosting  place,  deposited  our  luggage,  ate  some  snacks  and  exactly  at  12.00am,  lo  presto  Ricky  dropped  in.  

Reached  the  first  habitat  .......  
 In  the  lap  of  western  Ghats

Only  to  find  murky  water.  

But  due  to  perseverance  were  able  to  collect.........Deepak,  Please?
random2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 16, 2015 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

We  caught  -
 Laubuka  trevori
 Dario  urops
 Oreichthys  coorgensis
 Pethia  ticto
 Puntius  bimaculatus
 Schistura  semiarmatus
 Rasbora  sp
 Mystus  malabaricus

at  this  location

Last edited by random2 on Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
sergiomiranda
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:23 am Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Absolutely  breath  taking  the  first  photograph  and  where  are  the  photos  of  the  catch   Thumb Up   Thumb Up
Narayanang76
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 9:53 am Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Nice!  having  a  query  though.

What  is  the  tactics  used  to  catch  fishes  from  their  habitat  (ponds,  lake,  rivers  etc).  do  you  catch  is  yourself  or  get  help  from  someone  else?  

Last  time  I  tried  myself  catching  from  a  pond  in  my  hometown,  had  to  return  empty  handed  Chuckle  They  were  really  faster,  intelligent  and  smarter  than  me  (of  course)

Thanks  in  advance.

narayanang76
random2

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Narayanang76  wrote  (View  Post):                

What  is  the  tactics  used  to  catch  fishes  from  their  habitat  (ponds,  lake,  rivers  etc).  do  you  catch  is  yourself  or  get  help  from  someone  else?  

Last  time  I  tried  myself  catching  from  a  pond  in  my  hometown,  had  to  return  empty  handed  Chuckle  They  were  really  faster,  intelligent  and  smarter  than  me  (of  course)

Thanks  in  advance.

narayanang76                

Narayanan,

There  is  no  single  technique  to  catch  all.  It  depends  on  what  fishes  we  are  looking  for  and/or  the  type  of  habitat.

We  catch  by  ourselves  most  of  the  time  as  we  are  usually  the  only  people  at  the  place.  In  terms  of  local  help  -  sometimes  few  people  try  to  help  but  most  of  the  times  we  get  laughed  at  for  catching  small  fishes  :)

In  terms  of  difficulty,  initial  attempts  are  always  hard.  Have  spent  hours  trying  to  catch  without  any  result.  But  persistence  does  pay  off  in  the  end.  I  would  say,  keep  trying  and  vary  the  techniques  as  you  see  how  fishes  react  to  them.
Marc

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:38 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

way  to  go  guys....looking  forward  for  fish  pics....
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Marc  wrote  (View  Post):                
way  to  go  guys....looking  forward  for  fish  pics....                

Thanks,  Marc.  The  fishes  are  right  now  in  quarantine  tanks.  Will  be  added  to  the  main  tanks  in  a  couple  of  weeks  Very Happy  

Narayanang76  wrote  (View  Post):                

Thanks  in  advance.

narayanang76

Narayana,  Deepak  has  explained  it  well.  Down  the  line  I  will  post  a  video  of  us  catching  Loaches.  One  of  the  many  methods.

sergiomiranda  wrote  (View  Post):                

Absolutely  breath  taking  the  first  photograph  and  where  are  the  photos  of  the  catch   Thumb Up   Thumb Up

Thanks,  Sergiomiranda.  As  mentioned  earlier  all  the  new  fishes  are  in  quarantine  tanks.  But  a  few  pictures  from  my  archives.....

Oreichthys  coorgensis

Dario  urops

Regards,
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

By  now  it  was  2.30pm  and  time  to  head  out  to  the  next  waterbody.  But  first  Lunch!
 Stopped  by  a  small  hotel  in  the  midst  of  a  Coffee  estate  and  ordered  Lunch  to  a  small  boy  who  was  sitting  on  the  counter.  On  inquiring  if  food  was  ready  since  we  could  not  spend  time  waiting  for  food,  he  convinced  us  that  it  will  be  served  in  a  minute.
 This  happened  next.......
 Deepak  Satyanarayan

Beta  Mahatvaraj  and  Ricky  Madappa

Venketachalam  Nataraj

It  was  a  full  half  hour  before  we  were  served  lunch.  That  kid  turned  out  to  be  a  terrific  businessman.  Not  only  he  made  us  wait  for  food,  I  have  a  sneaking  doubt  that  he  overcharged  us.  Never  mind,  On  to  the  next  Habitat.......

To  be  continued.......
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:05 am Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Great  fish  collection  ......  Thumb Up
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:56 am Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Venket's  couture  trip  attire  never  ceases  to  amaze  me.
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

As  usual  a  super  start  to  the  narrative,  looking  forward  to  updates  and  pics  Smile
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Thanks,  guys   Very Happy  

The  camera  is  kaput.  Children  decided  to  learn  the  art  of  photography  using  it.  I  wanted  them  to  be  as  good  a  photographer  as  my  good  friend  Hayath.  Now  the  camera  is  behaving  like  a  teenager.  It's  become  an  entity  with  a  mind  of  it's  own.  It  decided  where  and  when  it  wants  to  focus  and  I  am  downgraded  to  just  clicking  the  button   Crying or Very sad  

Well,  to  continue.......
 Reached  the  next  waterbody  around  4.30pm.  We  only  had  1.5  more  hours,  before  it  became  dark  since  it  was  Dakshinayana.  
 Beta  recording  the  habitat

The  other  3  guys  getting  ready  to  collect....

The  last  water  change  of  the  day,  using  the  natural  stream  water.  The  most  important  part  of  any  collection  trip!

That's  the  end  of  day-1.  Happy  we  did  not  encounter  any  Leeches   Cheering  
 To  be  continued......
random2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Fishes  found  here  -
 Brachydanio  rerio
 Devario  malabaricus
 Pethia  ticto
 Tor  sp  fry
 Schistura  semiarmatus
 Schistura  nilgiriensis
 Aplocheilus  lineatus
 Garra  sp
Aquaholic

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

As  always  great  narration  and  awesome  pictures.   Thank  you.

Regards

Vince
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 18, 2015 9:02 pm Post subject: Re: The Extraordinary League of Fishchasers© Reply with quote

Continued.....
 Reached  the  room  at  around  6.30pm.  A  hot  water  bath  and  we  were  ready  for  the  sun  downers.  But  the  modern  technology  has  ruined  the  traditional  male  bonding  over  sun  downers,  or  any  downers  for  that  matter.  
 I  rest  my  case,,,,,,

The  neatly  packed  fish.  Two  or  three  fishes  to  a  pack.  we  Fishchasers©   take  water  changes  and  bio-load  seriously!

A  good  dinner  prepared  by  the  Homestay.  Especially  a  Coorgy  non-veg  delicacy  prepared  using  Kaccahmpuli   Agree  
 Retired  for  the  night  only  to  waken  at  2.30am  with  a  severe  attack  of  Migraine.  After  suffering  for  30mins  went  to  the  bathroom,  fingered  my  throat  and  omitted  out  all  the  bile.  Still  not  allright  at  5.00am,  time  decided  to  wake  up  and  go  to  the  next  waterbody.  Informed  other  members  to  cancel  the  same  and  went  to  sleep  again.  Got  up  at  7.00am  and,hallelujah  the  world  was  a  wonderful  place  again.
 Excellent  breakfast  at  Neel  sagar  opposite  Madikeri  fort,  and  Ricky  was  with  us  at  sharp  9.00am  as  planned.  On  we  went  to  the  next  spot,  crossing  a  reserve  forest  and  not  attempting  to  make  the  mistake  of  fishing  there.  We  are  law  abiding  citizens,  see?

To  my  pleasant  surprise  the  next  spot  selected  by  Deepak  was  in  the  most  beautiful  place  in  the  world.  We  had  entered  South  Canara  district,  the  coastal  district  of  Karnataka  the  beaches  of  which  compare  to  Seychelles  or  the  Caribbean!  Wow!
 But  being  fresh  water  hobbyist  stayed  away  from  the  beaches  and  got  on  with  the  work.
 The  first  habitat.......The  water  level  was  high  due  to  rains  the  previous  few  days.

The  view  on  the  other  side....

Unable  to  do  anything  decided  to  walk  downstream  till  we  came  to  a  more  manageable  place.  
 Reached  here....

Downstream...

Promptly  unloaded  the  nets  and  the  rest  of  the  paraphernalia.  Guess  what  we  found  and  what  took  precedent?
 Bhavania  australis  and  documenting  the  Biotope,  the  answer  to  my  previous  question.

To  be  continued.....
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: