217. Guest
218. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - LED Guidance for 24*12*15
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

LED Guidance for 24*12*15

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 17, 2016 2:20 am Post subject: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Hellow  friends,
 I  wish  to  switch  from  36PLL+23W  CFL  to  equivalent  1W  LEDs.  I  want  to  grow  carpet  plants  in  future.  Still  i  want  grow  Rotala  Rotundifolia  Pink,  Cabomba  Green,  Rotala  Nanjenshan,  Vals  nana  &  gigantae  etc.  Have  an  automated  CO2  &  DIY  Macro  &  Micro
 Please  guide  me  to  choosing  LED  in  terms  of  following;-
 1.  Lumens  per  watt  (I  have  searched  1W  LED  with  90-110  Lumen  (Cool  Day  Light)  will  it  be  fine  ?)
 2.  Type  of  heat  sink  to  be  used  (Is  it  really  necessary  to  use  heat  sink  if  LEDs  are  mounted  on  Acrylic  material?)
 3.  Type  of  driver  &  it's  specifications  in  detail
 4.  Whether  is  it  necessary  to  use  reflector  &  lens  ?  If  yes  what  should  be  the  angle  in  degrees?

Please  guide  briefly.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 11:39 am Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Crying or Very sad   buddies  please  share  how  to  select  the  LEDs.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Hey  first  of  all  dont  go  for  1W  leds  they  are  no  good.  Minimum  3W  that  too  of  good  brand  otherwise  it  is  a  waste.

For  your  tank  go  for  T5  its  more  than  sufficient  and  cost  effective.  Dont  get  caught  in  the  LED  hype
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:40 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Try  calling  up  Nidhi,  He  can  help  you...  his  number  is  in  his  profile.  He  has  a  DIY  LED  setup  and  its  doing  a  really  good  job
shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Though  LED  projects  look  easy  and  simple  to  start,  when  you  really  start,  lot  of  things  come  in  your  way.  Nothing  impossible  ones  to  solve  to  go  ahead  though.

1.  Lumens  per  watt  (I  have  searched  1W  LED  with  90-110  Lumen  (Cool  Day  Light)  will  it  be  fine  ?)
 Use  the  3Watts  ones  which  are  sold  as  1  to  3  watts  LEDs  mostly.  Epi  or  Bridgelux  are  some  brands  available  at  cheaper  cost  with  decent  quality.  Cree  are  the  best  but  cost  is  high.  With  Cree  5  watts  LED  (google  to  get  models),  you  can  use  less  #  of  LEDs.  

2.  Type  of  heat  sink  to  be  used  (Is  it  really  necessary  to  use  heat  sink  if  LEDs  are  mounted  on  Acrylic  material?)
 Use  of  heatsink  is  must.  Better  heat  dissipation,  longer  the  LED  life.  
 Also  decide,  how  you  are  going  to  attach  LEDs  to  heat  sink.  With  screw  and  thermal  compound  combination  or  thermal  epoxy  glue  type  which  acts  both  as  adhesive  and  thermal  compound.

If  your  heatsink  is  not  wide  and  with  less  mass  in  it,  use  the  fans  (ones  used  in  computers)  for  forced  air  cooling.  If  you  can  not  touch  the  heat  sink  on  running  of  light  for  20-30  mins,  that  means,  it  warrants  forced  air  cooling.

plan  your  light  mounting  method  etc  and  go  with  dimension  of  heat  sink  accordingly.  I  do  not  know  exactly   how  to  calculate  size  of  heatsink  for  LED  power  but,  bigger  the  better.

You  need  to  calculate  on  at  what  rating  you  would  drive  each  LEDs  ,   how  many  in  your  array  etc.  and  plan  accordingly.  It  would  be  great  if  you  have  someone  or  yourself  capable  building  of  constant  current  sources  for  driving  LEDs.  Else,  check  what  is  available  in  market  accessible  to  you  and  reverse  engineer  the  number  of  LEDs  per  array.

Usually  300mA  current  drivers  let  LEDs  run  at  1  watts  capacity  where  as  600mAmps  at  2  watts  approximately.  

4.  Whether  is  it  necessary  to  use  reflector  &  lens  ?  If  yes  what  should  be  the  angle  in  degrees?
 If  your  tank  height  is  over  15  inch,  it  may  warrant  optics.  You  don't  need  reflectors.  
 You  get  90  degree  ,  120  degree  spec  optics.  Using  narrow  angle  optics  allow  you  to  place  light  at  higher  over  the  tank.
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 12:50 am Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

Mortis  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hey  first  of  all  dont  go  for  1W  leds  they  are  no  good.  Minimum  3W  that  too  of  good  brand  otherwise  it  is  a  waste.

For  your  tank  go  for  T5  its  more  than  sufficient  and  cost  effective.  Dont  get  caught  in  the  LED  hype                

Ok  Mortis  will  think  over  this.

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
Try  calling  up  Nidhi,  He  can  help  you...  his  number  is  in  his  profile.  He  has  a  DIY  LED  setup  and  its  doing  a  really  good  job                

Yes  Preeths,  in  my  past  comment  with  similar  topic  he  replied  that  he  will  soon  post  detail  of  LEDs.  I  am  also  waiting  for  his  reply.

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
Though  LED  projects  look  easy  and  simple  to  start,  when  you  really  start,  lot  of  things  come  in  your  way.  Nothing  impossible  ones  to  solve  to  go  ahead  though.

Use  the  3Watts  ones  which  are  sold  as  1  to  3  watts  LEDs  mostly.  Epi  or  Bridgelux  are  some  brands  available  at  cheaper  cost  with  decent  quality.  Cree  are  the  best  but  cost  is  high.  With  Cree  5  watts  LED  (google  to  get  models),  you  can  use  less  #  of  LEDs.  

Use  of  heatsink  is  must.  Better  heat  dissipation,  longer  the  LED  life.  
 Also  decide,  how  you  are  going  to  attach  LEDs  to  heat  sink.  With  screw  and  thermal  compound  combination  or  thermal  epoxy  glue  type  which  acts  both  as  adhesive  and  thermal  compound.

If  your  heatsink  is  not  wide  and  with  less  mass  in  it,  use  the  fans  (ones  used  in  computers)  for  forced  air  cooling.  If  you  can  not  touch  the  heat  sink  on  running  of  light  for  20-30  mins,  that  means,  it  warrants  forced  air  cooling.

plan  your  light  mounting  method  etc  and  go  with  dimension  of  heat  sink  accordingly.  I  do  not  know  exactly   how  to  calculate  size  of  heatsink  for  LED  power  but,  bigger  the  better.

You  need  to  calculate  on  at  what  rating  you  would  drive  each  LEDs  ,   how  many  in  your  array  etc.  and  plan  accordingly.  It  would  be  great  if  you  have  someone  or  yourself  capable  building  of  constant  current  sources  for  driving  LEDs.  Else,  check  what  is  available  in  market  accessible  to  you  and  reverse  engineer  the  number  of  LEDs  per  array.

Usually  300mA  current  drivers  let  LEDs  run  at  1  watts  capacity  where  as  600mAmps  at  2  watts  approximately.  

If  your  tank  height  is  over  15  inch,  it  may  warrant  optics.  You  don't  need  reflectors.  
 You  get  90  degree  ,  120  degree  spec  optics.  Using  narrow  angle  optics  allow  you  to  place  light  at  higher  over  the  tank.                

Thasks  Shyam,  your  comment  reduced  my  difficulties  too  much.  But  still  have  confusion  regarding  the
 1.  Driver  specification
 As  i  want  to  connect  Arrays  in  parallel  &  LEDs  in  series.  So  single  array  need  3.2*5=16v  &  0.350A  current  as  the  series  combination  divides  only  voltage.  Finally  specifications  of  Driver  Should  be  16v  *4=24V  &  0.350A  *4=1.4A  Correct  if  i  went  wrong  in  calculations
 2.  Optics
 I  wish  to  make  4  arrays  of  5  leds  as  shown  below  (for  24L"12B"15H"  horizontal  &  vertical  spacing  between  LEDs  would  be  4")  Would  this  spacing  cause  enough  light  to  reach  at  the  bottom?  further  not  willing  to  use  of  optics

shyamhegde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 3:28 am Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  you  run  the  LEDs  at  somewhere  near  2  watts.   If  you  go  with  3  watts  LEDs.   Higher  the  surface  brightness  of  LED  chip,  better  the  reach  down  to  substrate  level,  especially  if  you  plan  for  carpets.  But  when  you  drive  a  LED  to  its  max  rating,  heat  dissipation  should  also  be  at  its  best.  Heat  sink,  thermal  coupling  between  LED  and  heat  sink  etc.

For  24  inch  length,  I  would  go  with  something  like  below  than  your  pattern.  the  zig  zag  placement  also  gives  even  spread  of  light.

I  also  suggest  to  keep  one  array  per  driver  and  not  connect  multiple  array  to  same  driver.  A  50W  700mA  driver  could  probably  is  what  your  tank  needs.  it  could  be  some  20  LEDs  running  just  above  2  watts  if  single  driver  with  that  spec  is  used.

You  can  keep  couple  of  more  LEDs  (combo  of  blue  and  white  or  only  blue)  placed  on  same  array  sandwiched  but  wired  separately   to  create  the  moon  light  effect  ,  driven  by  those  1  watt  /  two  watts  drivers.  It  is  fun  to  get  these  features  in  DIY.

Good  luck  !
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:32 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

shyamhegde  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  would  suggest  you  run  the  LEDs  at  somewhere  near  2  watts.   If  you  go  with  3  watts  LEDs.   Higher  the  surface  brightness  of  LED  chip,  better  the  reach  down  to  substrate  level,  especially  if  you  plan  for  carpets.  But  when  you  drive  a  LED  to  its  max  rating,  heat  dissipation  should  also  be  at  its  best.  Heat  sink,  thermal  coupling  between  LED  and  heat  sink  etc.

For  24  inch  length,  I  would  go  with  something  like  below  than  your  pattern.  the  zig  zag  placement  also  gives  even  spread  of  light.

I  also  suggest  to  keep  one  array  per  driver  and  not  connect  multiple  array  to  same  driver.  A  50W  700mA  driver  could  probably  is  what  your  tank  needs.  it  could  be  some  20  LEDs  running  just  above  2  watts  if  single  driver  with  that  spec  is  used.

You  can  keep  couple  of  more  LEDs  (combo  of  blue  and  white  or  only  blue)  placed  on  same  array  sandwiched  but  wired  separately   to  create  the  moon  light  effect  ,  driven  by  those  1  watt  /  two  watts  drivers.  It  is  fun  to  get  these  features  in  DIY.

Good  luck  !                

Will  consider  this.  Thanks  Smile
arunsai
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 10:08 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

You  can  use  1  watt  LEDs  .it's  fine  .  even  ADA  light  setup  use  0.4  watt  LEDs  for  60  cm  tank  .  I  suggest  you  to  get  3  watt  LEDs  .  use  1/3  warm  white  and  2/3  cool  white  LEDs  .you  needs  aluminum  heat  sink  or  make  it  one  from  aluminum  window  frames  .
kapa
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 5:40 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

arunsai  wrote  (View  Post):                
You  can  use  1  watt  LEDs  .it's  fine  .  even  ADA  light  setup  use  0.4  watt  LEDs  for  60  cm  tank  .  I  suggest  you  to  get  3  watt  LEDs  .  use  1/3  warm  white  and  2/3  cool  white  LEDs  .you  needs  aluminum  heat  sink  or  make  it  one  from  aluminum  window  frames  .                

The  idea  of  heat  sink  is  exactly  in  my  mind.   Thumb Up
arunsai
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 5:56 pm Post subject: Re: LED Guidance for 24*12*15 Reply with quote

kapa  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  idea  of  heat  sink  is  exactly  in  my  mind.   Thumb Up                

You  need  both  star  heat  sinks  and  aluminum  heat  sink  with  fins  .  I  am  using  0.5  LEDs  they  don't  get  hot  so  I  mounted  them  in  a  aluminum  plate
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: