109. Guest
110. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,320

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 12:58 pm Post subject: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Hello  All,

I  was  searching  for  many  and  many  forums  and  got  interested  with  DIY  LED  for  my  fish  tank.

Can  you  please  suggest  what  LEDs  and  heatsinks  can  be  used?  Please  provide  link  if  I  can  get  it  online.  I  looked  at  a  link  provided  by  Andrew  but  that  is  no  more  valid.

Experts  from  in  and  around  Chennai,  please  help  me  if  you  know  any  dealers  deals  with  LEDs  and  heatsink  and  further  details.

My  Tank  size  is  36*18*18.  I  am  planning  on  medium  -  high  lighting  with  pressurized  CO2.  Thank  you.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 1:30 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Check  this  LINK   :  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=355802#355802

Buy  Cree  LED  -  XPG  or  XML,  get  the  10  W  ones.  Use  a  30W  driver.   EBAY  or  aliexpress  are  the  only  options

There  are  stores  selling  heat  sinks  in  Bangalore.  I  never  found  a  online  source.  You  can  also  use  aluminium  window  sections.  Make  sure  there  is  enough  surface  area  for  heat  dissipation.

for  your  tank  8-10  10W  LED  driven  at  1500mA  to  2000  mA  would  be  high  light.
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 2:51 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Thank  you  very  much  Preetam..  I  read  from  one  of  the  threads  in  this  forum  like  ordering  in  Ebay  or  Aliexpress  it  will  take  almost  two  months  to  reach  us  and  we  need  to  pay  duty  and  if  we  opt  for  other  way  of  shipping  methods  it  will  cost  heavy..
 Can  you  help  me  clarifying  this  as  well..
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Ebay.in  is  Indian  website,  So  you  will  probably  get  stuff  quickly.   Aliexpress  is  a  more  like  a  lottery  when  it  comes  to  getting  stuff  on  time.
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

I  had  already  searched  for  CREE  XPG  in  Ebay.in  and  I  am  not  able  to  get  it..  XML  seems  to  be  bit  costly..  are  there  any  other  LEDs  that  you  have  gone  through  and  worked  well..?  I  am  preferably  looking  for  5W  or  10W..
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Manikandan,  This  is  what  I  did  for  my  46W  LED  fixture  for  a  2  feet  tank

1.  Got  the  following  LEDs  from  ebay.in  for  Rs.  400
 5W  Cool  white  (12v)  
 1W  Red  (2.5v)
 1W  Blue  (3.3v)
 Used  appropriate  resistors  to  limit  the  current  to  the  LEDs

2.  Got  2  PWM  12v  5A  dimmers  for  the  LEDs  (Rs.  200)  from  ebay.in.  The  White  LEDs  are  arranged  in  two  bays  and  each  bay  can  be  dimmed  individually.   The  dimmer  offers  8  levels  and  with  two  of  these  you  can  fine  tune  the  lighting  to  suit  your  tank  in  smaller  increments.

3.  Converted  an  old  ATX  PSU  into  a  power  supply  for  LED.   I  use  the  12v  line  for  powering  white  LEDs,  3.3v  for  red  and  5v  for  blue

4.  Mounted  the  LEDs  on  a  Aluminium  heat  sink  (Got  a  metre  of  it  for  Rs.  370  from  Jothi  Electronics,  Ritchie  street  ).  An  old  80mm  CPU  fan  cools  the  heat  sink

5.  The  whole  fixture  is  suspended  from  a  curtain  rod  using  steel  core  clothes  line  (got  20metre  of  it  for  Rs.  60  from  local  hardware  store  )

Also  got  the  following  parts  /  consumables  /  tools  from  Ritchie  street  :  Binding  posts,  banana  plugs,  heat  shrink  tube,  metal  drill  bits,  nuts  &  bolts,  thermal  paste,  resistors.

Last edited by mod-the-pc on Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:14 pm; edited 2 times in total
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 5:08 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Thank  you  very  much  Venky..  this  information  would  definitely  help  me..  I  will  be  visiting  Ritchie  street  next  week..  Can  you  share  a  pic  of  your  light?
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 6:55 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2016 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Wow...  so  cool...   Thumbs Up
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2016 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Any  suggestions  on  how  to  fix  the  light  on  top  of  the  tank..  I  think  I  will  not  be  able  to  make  it  as  a  suspended  fixture..  Mine  is  12mm  rimless  tank..
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:21 am Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Manikandan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Any  suggestions  on  how  to  fix  the  light  on  top  of  the  tank..  I  think  I  will  not  be  able  to  make  it  as  a  suspended  fixture..  Mine  is  12mm  rimless  tank..                

Use  Aluminium  hangers,  bend  the  rod  to  desired  shape  to  make  the  stand  legs  on  either  side.  Aluminium  is  soft  and  is  easy  to  work  with.  The  steel  ones  are  a  lot  tougher.
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

Or  you  could  get  an  acrylic  sheet  and  have  it  cut  like  this  
 http://i00.i.aliimg.com/wsphoto/v1/1703768358_1/free-ship-2pcs-lot-led-aquarium-light-PMMA-legs-cylinder-lamp-radiator-font-b-acrylic-b.jpg
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:58 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

You  guys  are  giving  me  really  good  suggestions..  Thank  you  very  much..
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2016 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

I  have  bought  some  50  3W  LEDs  from  Ebay  3.2  to  3.4v  with  max  current  as  700ma  and  15  Blue  1W  (3.2v-3.4)  and  5  Red  1W(2.0-2.4V)  as  well..
 It's  output  should  be  2W  as  max  current  is  only  700ma..  I  want  to  connect  it  in  series..

Planned  to  make  two  row  lighting  of  21  white,  4  blue  and  1  Red  on  each  row..  but  I  could  not  able  to  source  driver  for  it..

Need  your  help  on  this  one..
Manikandan
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2017 3:49 pm Post subject: Re: New DIY LED plans - Need Experts advise Reply with quote

After  a  long  gap,  I  am  again  able  to  search  for  drivers  and  have  got  42  -  50v  constant  current  LED  drivers  to  power  my  LEDs..  LEDs  were  soldered  to  PCBs  and  now  I  am  looking  for  dimmers  to  support  atleast  one  string  of  my  LED  circuit  incase  if  my  lighting  is  too  bright  for  my  tank..  please  can  someone  throw  your  inputs  about  dimming  part?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: