104. Guest
105. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,345

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - need help with monte carlo carpet
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

need help with monte carlo carpet

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2017 10:17 pm Post subject: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,

I  have  tried  monte  carlo  carpet  earlier  but  no  luck.  I  am  planning  to  try  again,  any  help  is  really  appreciated.

here  is  details  of  my  current  aquarium  :

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=39282&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=45

Thanks,
 Manish
getandrew
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2017 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Hi  Manish,

Monte  carlo  is  one  of  the  easiest  foreground  plant  to  grow,  checked  your  setup  in  the  link  provided  your  light  looks  too  much  and  co2  distribution  looks  less.  

will  tell  you  some  basics  which  i  follow  when  setting  up  a  planted  tank.  Hope  it  might  help  you  in  someway.

1.  some  what  good  substrate  which  can  hold  your  plants  good  because  when  you  fertilize  tank  this  wont  be  a  that  much  of  a  issue
 2.  check  the  volume  of  your  tank  and  multiply  with  10,  example  if  your  tank  is  60litre  then  you  require  600l/h  output  filter  because  filtration  and  circulation  plays  a  main  role  in  planted  tank.
 3.  good  lighting  and  don't  calculate  watts  per  gallon(wpg)  which  is  wrong  need  to  calculate  par  value  actually  below  are  some  table  for  your  understanding  if  you  don't  know  how  to  calculate  for  your  tank  below  is  the  guidance  for  beginners  nothing  like  you  need  to  follow  that.just  a  guide:)   and  please  do  note  6500k  to  10000k  is  very  good  lighting  for  planted  tank  because  these  spectrum  can  penetrate  till  your  substrate  level.

4.  Co2,  do  procure  a  pressurized  co2,  one  time  investment  but  can  be  there  for  long  time  and  you  will  see  the  output  you  like,  which  you  already  have  and  don't  follow  2,3,4,5  bubble  per  second  get  a  co2  indicator  and  place  opposite  to  your  co2  diffuser  and  check  till  it  changes  to  green,  if  its  blue  then  low  if  its  yellow  then  high,  so  you  inject  co2  high  or  low  till  you  see  your  desired  color,  this  way  you  can  really  check  the  co2  distribution  in  your  tank.  

And  finally  lets  come  to  your  point  basic  mistake  ppl  do  is  when  setting  the  planted  tank  they  keep  8  hours  photoperiod  which  is  a  over  kill  because  you  need  to  increase  the  photo  period  in  2  months  time  start  from  3-4  hours  then  gradually  increase  a  hour  every  2  weeks  and  once  you  become  expert  in  lighting  you  no  need  to  follow  this  but  initially  do  follow  like  this  because  your  plants  need  to  settle  to  the  new  environment  and  once  they  settled  then  its  difficult  to  kill  them  Chuckle  and  in  this  time  you  can  see  plants  to  loose  their  leaves  which  is  common,  so  no  need  to  panic.

And  its  always  best  to  start  co2  1  hour  before  your  lights  come  up  and  stop  1  hour  before  your  lights  goes  off,  And  start  dosing  ferts  by  50%  from  day  1  of  your  tank  size  or  volume  and  once  plant  settles  follow  the  100%  rule  of  dosing  which  ever  you  follow  like  EI  dosing,PPS  dosing  or  seachem  dosing

Things  you  need  to  understand  first  at  starting  3  months  of  your  new  planted  tank  step-up,  your  plants  are  settling  and  transition  part  is  going  on  so  algae  will  show  up  to  consume  the  energy,ferts  which  your  plants  not  consuming  this  is  normal  just  clear  the  algae  when  changing  water  that's  why  at  initial  stage  they  change  25  to  50%  water  3-4  times  a  week  for  1  month  to  stop  feeding  algae
 you  will  see  tremendous  change  at  2-3  month  and  once  your  plants  settle  algae  will  disappear  automatically  Smile   Smile   Smile.

Mistakes  people  do  at  starting  time  when  they  see  algae  they  try  to  change  photo-period  timing,  co2  injection  changing  low  to  high,  which  will  trigger  more  algae  growth  and  will  stunt  your  plant  growth  which  leads  to  your  plant  death.

Below  is  my  tank  with  monte  carlo

and  also  know  your  plant  characteristic  below  is  the  link  which  has  most  of  the  plant  details  and  you  can  always  use  google  help  too  Smile  
 http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

And  sorry  for  the  long  post  hope  you  don't  mind  Very Happy  

Regards,
 Vivian  Andrew
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2017 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Thats  lot  of  good  info  from  Andrew.Thanks  you.

On  #3  how  do  we  calculate  this  for  LED  lights,  the  table  shows  for   bulbs  like  T5..etc.  Can  you  please  tell  us  how  to  determine  if  it  good,low  ,overrated  lighting  if  we  are  using  led  strips.

Thanks,
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2017 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

n70me  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thats  lot  of  good  info  from  Andrew.Thanks  you.

On  #3  how  do  we  calculate  this  for  LED  lights,  the  table  shows  for  ┬ábulbs  like  T5..etc.  Can  you  please  tell  us  how  to  determine  if  it  good,low  ,overrated  lighting  if  we  are  using  led  strips.

Thanks,                

Hi  

Happy  to  see  my  post  helped  you  in  some  way,  Regarding  led  you  need  to  have  good  lumens  support  and  led  with  correct  spectrum  for  planted  tanks,  mostly  high  power  leds  will  be  best  for  the  project.  2  years  back  i  did  my  own  fixture  where  i  have  covered  most  of  the  things  below  is  the  link  to  it  do  check  go  through  all  the  post  in  that  where  i  have  given  links  to  understand  led  for  planted  tank.  
 DIY  LED  SETUP

If  you  looking  to  do  co2  indicator  solution  also  check  the  below  link

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=37040&highlight=diy+co2+solution

below  are  some  additional  links  which  might  help  you  understand  better  about  light,co2,fert  and  plants

http://aquatic-art.blogspot.in/2009/01/plant-deficiencies.html

http://deficiencyfinder.com/

And  after  lot  of  research  and  trail  i  find  using  3watt  high  power  led  in  parallel-series  connection  is  best  and  cheap  to  get  desired  output,  But  right  now  i  have  dismantled  my  both  tanks  because  of  official  and  personal  stuff  will  start  after  6  months  after  that  will  be  posting  updates  regularly  in  IAH  

Regards,
 Vivian  Andrew
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2017 11:27 am Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Thank  you  Andrew  for  your  time  and  such  a  nice  details,  really  appreciated...   Smile   Thumb Up  

Your  tank  looks  awesome  ....!  Thumb Up  

Problem  faced  with  the  monte  carlo  is  that  it  dosn't  just  grow/spread  and  then  leafs  turns  yellow/brown  and  continuous  decay  of  branches  and  finally  full  covered  in  algae  in  a  months  time.  I  had  to  take  them  out  as  I  was  afraid  that  algae  will  spread  in  the  tank.

Actually,  I  keep  light  to  75%  brightness.  I  had  turned  my  lights  to  full  brightness  to  take  photos  and  Videos  since  if  I  lower  the  brightness  then  video  flickers  (not  actually  flicker  but  I  notice  dark  and  lite  light  band  in  video  due  to  frequency  of  LED  at  low  power).

I  think  I  may  need  to  upgrade  my  filter,  my  aquarium  volume  is  about  90  Liters  and  I  have  EHEIM  classic  250  which  has  capacity  of  440.00  L/H.

I  followed  water  change  schedule  as  30%  water  change  alternate  day  for  20  days  and  then  50%  weekly.

Photo  period  was  at  6  hours  for  a  month  then  increase  of  1  hour  in  every  10  days  for  next  2  hours  and  now  its  set  to  8  hours.

No  fertilizer  for  a  month  and  then  potassium  and  iron  only.

I  liked  your  idea  of  DIY  drop  checker,  I  use  to  use  one  in  ebay  but  its  pretty  expensive.  I  will  try  to  make  my  own  drop  checker  using  your  method.  I  have  two  questions.

1.  How  long  you  can  store  the  drop  checker  liquid.
 2.  From  where  to  get  bromothymol  blue  solution.  (I  live  in  Bangalore,  in  case  you  know  any  store  to  pick  up)

Thanks  again  ..!

Manish
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Hi  Manish,

Monte  carlo,  HC  cuba  takes  little  time  like  2-3  weeks  for  transition  and  adapt  to  new  environment  whenever  you  move  these  plant  the  growth  will  get  stunt  but  once  adapted  you  need  to  trim  regularly  that  fast  they  grow.

Initially  you  pump  co2  little  bit  high  and  use  fertilizer  also  you  mentioned  cree  led  in  your  journal  if  you  bought  from  ebay  then  its  china  cree  not  original  cree  led  once  i  send  the  link  to  cree  directly  they  said  never  manufactured  a  led  like  that   Chuckle  below  is  the  link  for  cree  dealer  in  India,  if  you  make  your  own  led  find  good  sellers  who  give  proper  high  power  led  and  you  also  test  it  with  multi-meter  whether  it  consumes  the  amp  mentioned.

http://www.mouser.in/Optoelectronics/LED-Lighting/LED-Emitters/High-Power-LEDs-White/_/N-8usfj/

you  did  all  correct  but  missed  in  fertilizer  and  looks  like  co2  fluctuation,  follow  EI  dosing  or  PPS  dosing  and  if  you  find  hard  to  find  salts  then  get  proper  macro  kit  from  seachem  or  other  good  brand.  And  is  water  is  soft  or  hard  and  always  start  with  photo  period  5  hours  in  starting  and  yes  follow  10X  water  flow  for  better  distribution  no  need  to  upgrade  filter  just  add  internal  filter  head  like  boyu.

if  you  dont  have  particular  salt  in  stock  for  fert  dosing  then  dont  dose  because  dosing  particular  nutrient  will  cause  deficiency,  which  will  lead  to  catch  algae  easily.

below  are  some  calc  for  dosing  maybe  you  seen  already.

https://sites.google.com/site/aquaticplantfertilizer/home/pps-pro

http://www.aquariumcalculators.com/aquarium-plant-food/estimative-index/

if  you  want  to  buy  micro  fert  like  csm+B  below  is  the  link

http://www.aquariumfertilizer.com/index.asp?Option1=inven&EditU=2&Regit=5

And  co2  drop  checker  solution  no  expiry  and  the  batch  i  made  used  for  2  years.

Bangalore  no  idea  where  to  get  bromothymol  but  You  can  get  from  any  laboratory  chemical  selling  shops  but  when  i  checked  in  google  found  the  below  site  in  the  price  list  in  page  24  they  mentioned  Bromothymol  solution.

http://www.karnatakafinechem.com/index.php/contact-us
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Thank  you  Andrew,  really  appreciated  you  time  and  valuable  feedback.   Thumb Up  

I  was  travelling  and  stuck  with  some  other  stuffs,  so  couldn't  reply.

I  am  planning  to  order  :  Current  USA  Satellite  Freshwater  LED  Plus  from  amazon.com

Any  suggestions?  I  think  I  should  go  for  a  branded  light  one  than  a  DIY  .  I  want  to  grow  HC  Cuba  or  Monte  Carlo.

Thanks,
 Manish
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 01, 2017 10:31 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

To  grow  HC  and  MC  normal  tube  with  4000k  to  6500k  with  good  lumens  is  more  than  enough  and  in  initial  stage  pump  co2  little  high  for  the  plants  to  adapt  fast,  i  mostly  add  fish  after  30  days  of  setting  the  tank  so  till  that  time  i  inject  co2  high  till  my  drop  checker  turns  yellow  and  the  led  light  link  which  you  send  looks  good  and  price  too  but  including  shipping  its  little  bit  high,  check  for  chihiros  this  led  also  got  very  good  rating  so  far  available  in  india  or  order  from  aliexpress  which  will  cost  you  half  the  amount.  And  below  is  a  another  article  for  you  on  light,  damn  giving  you  so  many  articles   Chuckle     

http://tropica.com/en/guide/make-your-aquarium-a-success/light/
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2017 7:28 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Thanks  again  Andrew,   Thumb Up  

Chihiros  LED  looks  promising  and  at  half  of  the  price  of  "Current  USA  Satellite  Freshwater  LED  Plus"  in  Aliexpress.  Let  me  go  through  reviews,  let  me  know  if  you  have  first  hand  experience  with  Chihiros.
 I  have  purchased  many  items  from  Aliexpress  but  small  and  inexpensive.  Let  me  try  this  one.  Its  my  dream  to  grow  HC  Cuba/Monte  Carlo  carpet,  hopefully  this  time  I  will  be  successful.   Very Happy  

Regards,
 Manish
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: need help with monte carlo carpet Reply with quote

Friends,

Few  LEDs  in  my  DIY  setup  went  off,  so  I  am  using  my  old  60  CM  SUNSUN  T5  HO  24W  x  2  -  10,000  K.  Light  looks  more  blue  and  bright  so  I  have  replaced  one  tube  with  Philips  14Watt  6500K  T5  Tube.
 I  have  just  received  pots  of  monte  carlo  and  will  be  planting  tonight,  I  am  concerned  if  light  is  enough  for  my  aquarium.

Please  advice.

Aquarium  :  24"  x  18"  x  18"
 Light  :  24"  T5  tube  -  1  x  24W  10000K  and  1  x  14W  6500K

Thanks,
 Manish
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: