136. Guest
137. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,427

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:16 pm Post subject: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

I  have  setup  a  new  scape  on  may  7th  last  month  in  my  friends  room,  and  i  am  also  gonna  give  step  by  step  things  i  have  done  with  the  tank  in  initial  stage  so  that  it  might  help  some  beginners,  below  is  the  tank  details.

Tank  -  36  x  18  x  22  inch
 filter  -  sunsun  302(1000lph)  and  304(2000lph)
 light  -  4  x  39  w  T5HO  in  that  3  tube  with  6500k  and  1  with  4000k
 co2  -  pressurized  no  bps  and  all,  will  tune  till  my  drop  checker  turn  to  lime  green  to  yellow.
 chiller  -  hailea  150A  mod  to  1/6hp  compressor  where  it  comes  with  1/10  hp  compressor
 fertilizers  -  EI  dosing  i  prepare  according  to  my  tank  macro  i  get  salts  from  science  lab  store  and  micro  plantex  csm+b
 Soil  -  ADA  2  new  9litre  bag  and  balance  used  ADA  Soil.
 And  chihiros  doctor  got  as  gift  for  b'day,  only  difference  i  see  no  diatoms  which  i  initially  used  to  see  in  new  setup.  now  i  need  to  clean  every  3-4  days  for  better  mist  Sad  
 plants  -  limnophila  aromatica,  hygrohpila  polysperma,  pogostemon  stellatus  octopus,  HC  cuba,  Hair  grass,  Eriocaulon  breviscapum,  Hydrocotyle  tripartita,  Alternanthera  reineckii  Rosanervig,  staurogyne  sp  brown,  staurogyne  repensRotala  sp.  Spikey,  Hygrophila  pinnatifida  and  hygrophila  corymbosa

first  let  me  add  pics

Hardscape-  I  am  not  great  in  hardscape

After  planting  within  a  hour

had  some  aquatic  moth  larvae  invasion  maybe  came  with  the  plants  or  when  planting  came  and  laid  eggs  no  idea  still  now  Sad  ,  which  ate  70-80%  of  my  plant  leaves  in  2nd  week,  So  Sad  and  removed  around  42  larvae  manually  i  lost  most  of  the  hc,  staurogyne  repens,  limnophila  aromatica  new  shoot  leaves  and  lost  Ludwigia  senegalensis  plant  totally  little  buggers  gave  a  real  heart  attack   Chuckle   

Below  is  the  affected  leaves  

HC  now  recovering  you  can  see  new  shoots.

And  the  moth  larvae

anyhow  plants  started  recovering,  this  is  today  pic  of  tank  because  of  aquatic  moth  attack  i  split  the  hc  again  otherwise  i  should've  got  50-60%  coverage  by  now

health  of  the  plants

Below  plant  got  has  a  gift  when  ordered  plants,  not  able  to  identify  the  name  confused  whether  rotala  or  ludwigia  family  or  someother  family  if  somebody  know  let  me  know

Top  View  of  the  plant

what  i  did  in  this  last  4  weeks

1st  week  -  I  did  3  times  60-70%  water  change  after  water  change  i  will  add  beneficial  bacteria  below  is  the  link  which  i  used,  for  bacteria  to  grow  fast  and  cycle  tank  fast  also.  And  kept  light  photo-period  for  4  hours  with  only  2  bulbs  ON  where  my  fixture  has  4  bulbs  and  i  removed  2  bulbs(in  first  day  photo  there  are  4  bulbs  that  is  to  take  photo).  and  co2  will  switch  on  before  1hour  prior  to  light  and  will  switch  off  1  hour  before  lights  go  off  and  target  co2  drop  checker  for  lime  green  to  yellow  color  and  water  temperature  to  25  degree  in  chiller,  this  co2  and  water  temp  will  last  till  i  rip  my  tank

http://www.amazon.in/Aquatic-Remedies-Beneficial-Bacteria-Aquarium/dp/B00P0WMYOI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1496852633&sr=8-1&keywords=beneficial+bacteria

2nd  week  -  same  has  1s  week  but  added  chihiros  doctor  which  i  got  has  a  present  from  my  friend  but  u  dont  need  this  really  and  increased  photo-period  to  4.5hrs

3rd  week  -  reduced  water  change  to  2  times  a  week  and  increased  photo-period  to  5hrs  and  added  the  third  bulb  in  my  fixture  and  started  EI  dosing  till  3rd  week  i  will  add  beneficial  bacteria  you  can  use  any  company  i  mainly  use  seachem  but  this  time  went  with  microlife  and  also  added  a  air  stone  in  timer  which  will  switch  on  at  10.00pm  and  will  switch  off  at  8.00am  will  keep  this  air  stone  for  2  months.  uprooted  rotala  sp  spikey  plant  totally  and  trimmed  the  below  part  and  planted  only  the  toppings.  same  with  other  stem  plant  in  above  pic

4th  week  -  reduced  water  change  to  once  in  a  week  which  i  will  follow  till  i  rip  this  tank  off  because  i  dose  EI  dosing  so  i  need  to  do  50%  water  change  every  week  for  resetting  the  water  column  and  its  always  best  to  do  30-50%  water  change  every  week  and  clean  your  filter  once  in  a  month.  and  increased  photo  period  to  5.5hrs  and  added  the  4th  bulb  and  changed  to  co2  reactor.

Do  note  i  follow  5x  filtration  and  10x  flow  of  tank  water  volume  and  my  filter  have  ceramic  ring,  coarse  filter  foam  for  mechanical  filter,  and  for  biological  eheim  substrat  pro  and  for  chemical  filtration  seachem  purigen  and  i  never  use  high  current  flow  in  my  tank  because  that  will  disturb  viewing  experience  of  the  plant  by  shaking  them  to  much  which  will  make  the  look  of  the  tank  awful  and  fishes  also  can't  swim  properly,  so  i  always  follow  strong  but  gentle  flow.

i  wont  do  any  water  test  like  ammonia,nitrites  and  nitrate  or  phosphate  and  all,  i  have  tds  meter  and  ph  meter  both  together  cost  me  1100  rs  3  years  back.  below  is  the  one  i  use
 http://www.ebay.in/itm/Digital-LCD-Pocket-Pen-type-PH-meter-for-Water-Pool-Aquarium-measurement-/262602741582?hash=item3d2457d74e:g:AXsAAOSw8oFXx6dV

http://www.ebay.in/itm/HM-DIGITAL-AP-1-AquaPro-Water-Quality-TDS-Tester-Meter-With-Temp-Thermometer-/182391718253?hash=item2a7764c16d:g:CwkAAOSwImRYVSMh

I  get  hard  and  soft  water  in  same  tap  so  i  have  270litre  drum  and  will  collect  soft  water  in  that  whenever  it  comes  mostly  my  water  ppm  will  be  30-42ppm  only  yep  we  are  lucky  to  have  this  good  quality  water  here  in  Coimbatore  and  i  will  add  diy  minerals  to  increase  the  ppm  to  70  below  is  the  link  which  i  used  to  make  my  own  minerals  and  will  add  seachem  prime  to  detoxify  chlorine,  i  wont  use  any  other  product  for  this  purpose  seachem  prime  is  very  good  and  will  come  for  long  time  for  my  use,  ph  meter  i  use  to  test  the  co2  ph  profile  test  i  do  only  in  new  setups  to  check  co2  distribution  that's  it,  i  wont  do  any  other  test  with  whatever  kit  available.

http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/RO.htm

and  from  5th  week  i  will  increase  light  by  half  hour  till  i  reach  8  hour  cycle  that's  it  after  that  only  water  change  every  week  and  filter  maintenance  once  in  a  month.

my  Fertilizer  mixture  is

Macro-(500ml  Deionized  Waterr  and  dose  20ml  3  days  a  week)with  500ml  water  i  mix

kno3  -  90gms  
 kh2po4  -  23gms  

Micro-(500ml  Deionized  Water  and  dose  20ml  3  days  a  week)with  500ml  water  i  mix

Plantex  csm+b  -  25gms

Do  note  until  you  learn  what  your  plant  need  just  follow  the  actual  values  for  EI  or  PPS  pro  once  you  get  into  it,  you  can  easily  tweak  the  dosing  as  per  your  requirement  i  use  below  calculators.

http://www.theaquatools.com/fertilization-calculator

https://rotalabutterfly.com/nutrient-calculator.php

https://www.thenutrientcompany.com/aquarium/calculators/

And  most  important  thing  when  you  make  some  changes  wait  for  a  week  to  see  the  difference  patience  is  the  key  in  planted  aquarium  and  below  are  some  guide  which  might  help  you  start  a  beautiful  aquarium.

http://aquariumalgae.blogspot.in/

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/plantfinder/all.php

https://www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=co2-measurement-using-a-drop-checker

http://www.aquascapingworld.com/magazine/September-2008/September-2008/Pressurized-C02-Injection-Systems.html

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/lighting/38014-lighting-spectrum-photosythesis.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/184368-lighting-aquarium-par-instead-watts.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/10-lighting/160396-led-lighting-compendium.html

And  in  planted  tank  lighting  and  co2  plays  a  major  role  and  when  you  learn  to  tweak  this  according  to  your  setup  then  you  will  see  one  of  the  best  result.  so  do  lot  of  research  in  lighting  and  co2.
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 3:45 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

just  one  word  ...  awesome   Thumb Up  

This  is  very  helpful  Andrew,  Thank  you.  I  will  come  back  later  with  some  questions.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Wow...  I  think  this  is  really  great  post  from  Andrew.  Not  only  now  but  many  times  your  posts  are  just  awesome  with  tons  of  info  and   this  needs  plenty  of  patience  to  post  info  like  this  .  

Any  newbie  in  the  group  can  easily  understand  how  maintain  a  tank  after  reading  this.   I  have  really  no  words  in  appreciating  this  effort.

Few  Questions:

Iam  also  starting  a  new  2  feet  with  ADA  amazonia  with  all  high  tech  setup.  I  have  been  given  an  advice  to  change  the  water  several  times  after  hard  scaping  the  tank  and  before  planting.  Any  reason  we  have  to  do  this?  remove  water  cloudiness  risk  after  planting?Does  removing  water  several  times  remove  vital  nutrients  from  the  tank?

how  did  u  permanently  remove  the  larvae  ?  That  would  be  good  know.

Thanks,
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

mkk19800  wrote  (View  Post):                
just  one  word  ...  awesome   Thumb Up  

This  is  very  helpful  Andrew,  Thank  you.  I  will  come  back  later  with  some  questions.                

Thanks  Manish,  sure  i  will  be  happy  to  answer  your  quetions.

n70me  wrote  (View  Post):                

Wow...  I  think  this  is  really  great  post  from  Andrew.  Not  only  now  but  many  times  your  posts  are  just  awesome  with  tons  of  info  and   this  needs  plenty  of  patience  to  post  info  like  this  .  

Any  newbie  in  the  group  can  easily  understand  how  maintain  a  tank  after  reading  this.   I  have  really  no  words  in  appreciating  this  effort.

Few  Questions:

Iam  also  starting  a  new  2  feet  with  ADA  amazonia  with  all  high  tech  setup.  I  have  been  given  an  advice  to  change  the  water  several  times  after  hard  scaping  the  tank  and  before  planting.  Any  reason  we  have  to  do  this?  remove  water  cloudiness  risk  after  planting?Does  removing  water  several  times  remove  vital  nutrients  from  the  tank?

how  did  u  permanently  remove  the  larvae  ?  That  would  be  good  know.

Thanks,

Thanks  Man,

1.  changing  water  frequently  in  1st  month  is  not  to  get  rid  of  cloudiness  because  cloudiness  will  clear  within  24hrs,  but  mainly  to  remove  the  organic  matter  it  leaches  out  and  that  too  ADA  leaches  too  much  so  we  used  to  do  heavy  water  changes  mainly  to  remove  that  and  by  doing  that  you  can  control  algae  in  initial  stage  because  your  plants  are  adapting  to  the  new  environment  so  within  2-3  weeks  your  plants  will  adapt  once  adapted  it  won't  give  room  for  algae  to  grow  anyhow  still  it's  always  best  practice  to  do  weekly  30-50%  water  change  for  removing  organic  matter  even  if  your  plant  settles  also  it  will  absorb  what  it  requires  only.  Below  is  the  link  from  ada  itself  about  water  changes  in  initial  stage.
 http://www.adana.co.jp/en/release/detail?id=80
 it  depends  on  the  substrate  you  use  but  90%  of  substrate  will  leach  organic  matter  nowadays  getting  very  good  review  on  cal  aqua  labs  Black  Earth  Premium  will  try  in  my  next  scape.
 2.  even  i  never  came  across  moth  larvae  issue  before  this  is  1st  time  and  even  i  was  not  able  to  identify  1st  where  in  another  forum  some  experienced  guys  identified  this  and  only  way  is  to  remove  manually  or  you  need  to  leave  them  to  complete  it's  cycle  that  is  from  eggs->larvae(this  period  where  it  eat  the  plant)->cocoon  or  pupae->moth  it  will  fly  out  of  the  tank  below  is  the  video  link  which  will  explain  about  it.  so  in  my  tank  after  i  removed  manually  also  i  took  3  more  when  it  was  in  cocoon  stage  where  it  forms  a  nest  using  2  leaves.  my  only  worry  now  it  shouldn't  come  back  to  lay  eggs  Chuckle  because  there  is  a  saying  in  our  place  water,elephants  and  insects  never  forget  there  path.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WGVb9b-ADik

the  below  video  link  is  another  kind  of  aquatic  moth  which  survive  inside  water  till  it  form  to  moth  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twrhCOyvcp0
mbuna435
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Informative  post.Nice  setup  and  well  planned  execution.  In  fact  i  got  inspired  by  you  and  others  in  this  forum  on  DIY  LEDS  and  successfully  did  my  LED  setups  for  my  couple  of  planted  tanks  (Well  after  many  iterations  Chuckle  ).  

I  am  planning  to  rescape  one  of  my  3  feet  planted  tank  from  low  tech  to  high  tech.  Got  the  black  earth  premium  substrate.  Will  use  your  tips  during  setup.  Few  questions-

1.  Do  i  need  to  do  frequent  water  changes  with  black  earth  premium  like  you  did  with  Ada?
 2.  I  am  going  to  keep  live  stocks  in  seprate  container  during  the  rescaping.  Shall  I  add  it  to  the  tank  once  the  water  clear  up  or  do  need  to  wait  for  fews  days  till  the  aquarium  is  cycled?  

Regards,
 Rengarajan.
Andrew
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 12:09 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

mbuna435  wrote  (View  Post):                
Informative  post.Nice  setup  and  well  planned  execution.  In  fact  i  got  inspired  by  you  and  others  in  this  forum  on  DIY  LEDS  and  successfully  did  my  LED  setups  for  my  couple  of  planted  tanks  (Well  after  many  iterations  Chuckle  ).  

I  am  planning  to  rescape  one  of  my  3  feet  planted  tank  from  low  tech  to  high  tech.  Got  the  black  earth  premium  substrate.  Will  use  your  tips  during  setup.  Few  questions-

1.  Do  i  need  to  do  frequent  water  changes  with  black  earth  premium  like  you  did  with  Ada?
 2.  I  am  going  to  keep  live  stocks  in  seprate  container  during  the  rescaping.  Shall  I  add  it  to  the  tank  once  the  water  clear  up  or  do  need  to  wait  for  fews  days  till  the  aquarium  is  cycled?  

Regards,
 Rengarajan.                

Thanks  Rengarajan,  it's  been  3  years  back  i  did  that  led  and  still  working  and  im  going  to  upgrade  that  using  3w  or  1w  led  will  post  once  i  finish  the  work.

1.  ADA  used  to  leach  too  much  ammonia  at  initial  stage  and  other  organic  matter  also  but  it's  a  good  soil  though.  But  like  i  said  never  used  Black  earth  but  as  per  the  reviews  i  seen  it  leach  very  less  ammonia  and  other  organic  matter  and  yep  you  need  ammonia  but  not  too  much.  if  you  ask  me  i  will  do  water  change  but  20%  max,  below  is  link  where  you  can  see  some  reviews

http://www.aquariumlife.com.au/showthread.php/57958-CAL-BLACK-EARTH-VS-ADA-AQUA-SOIL-Which-do-you-prefer?s=54144ef0ecaf99fecfc1df218bdf65b4

In  below  video  link  check  the  description

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IbSucWK6mY

2.  you  can  add  fish  immediately  if  you  have  cycled  water  and  filter  if  not  then  wait  for  the  tank  to  get  cycled,  to  improve  the  cycle  process  fast  add  beneficial  bacteria  whenever  you  do  water  change.  looks  like  you  don't  have  cycled  water  and  filter  and  even  if  you  have  also  better  wait  for  a  week  if  not  then  wait  for  3-4  weeks  .
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 12:51 am Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Hello  Andrew,

Can  you  please  post  latest  picture  of  your  tank?  curious  to  see  the  progress.  its  been  a  month  and  Monte  Carlo  in  my  tank  is  not  growing  at  all.  I  see  new  leafs  but  it  stays  there,  no  growth.

also,  it  would  be  really  appreciated  if  you  can  help  me  with  below  issue   Crying or Very sad  

I  am  facing  terrible  blue  green  algae  problem  after  adding  seachem  purigen  in  my  tank.  I  added  purigen  10  days  ago  and  I  started  noticing  BGA  in  substrate  and  plants,  I  kept  cleaning  substrate  and  plants  without  any  luck.  Just  couple  of  hours  ago  I  noticed  almost  all  the  plants  are  covered  with  BGA  and  few  plants  really  look  sick,  covered  with  slime  like  BGA.  I  am  suspecting  purigen  has  removed  all  the  biological  nitrite/nitrate  and  therefore  BGA  attack.

My  tank  size  :  24"x18"x18",  I  believe  it  has  about  80~90  Liters  of  water  (excluding  substrate,  wood,  stone)
 Fertilizer  :  seachem  flourish  and  potassium  -  2  ML  alternate  days  and  seachem  iron  2  ML  alternate  days.
 Light  :  finnex  planted+  24/7  se  in  24x7  mode
 CO2  :  pressurized

Things  which  changed  in  last  two  weeks  :
 1.  Added  Purigen.
 2.  Upgraded  light  from  T5HO  2x24W  to  finnex  planted+  24/7  se
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

I  am  facing  terrible  blue  green  algae  problem  after  adding  seachem  purigen  in  my  tank.  I  added  purigen  10  days  ago  and  I  started  noticing  BGA  in  substrate  and  plants,  I  kept  cleaning  substrate  and  plants  without  any  luck.  Just  couple  of  hours  ago  I  noticed  almost  all  the  plants  are  covered  with  BGA  and  few  plants  really  look  sick,  covered  with  slime  like  BGA.  I  am  suspecting  purigen  has  removed  all  the  biological  nitrite/nitrate  and  therefore  BGA  attack.

Hi  Manish

Your  purigen  started  working  too  much,  you  can  follow  the  below  link  to  eliminate  the  BGA.  
 http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Even  i  am  using  purigen,  but  i  dose  nitrate  for  my  plants  and  my  nitrate  level  are  around   10-15ppm.
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

@Andrew  

Nice  contribution  to  the  forum
mkk19800
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 9:23 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Planthead  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Manish

Your  purigen  started  working  too  much,  you  can  follow  the  below  link  to  eliminate  the  BGA.  
 http://www.theplantedtank.co.uk/algae.htm

Even  i  am  using  purigen,  but  i  dose  nitrate  for  my  plants  and  my  nitrate  level  are  around   10-15ppm.                

Thanks  Paul,

Very  informative  post,  actually  I  was  not  dosing  nitrogen  since  I  thought  plant,  fish  waste  and  leftover  food  would  be  enough  to  generate  required  Nitrogen.  

Let  me  order  Nitrogen,  between  how  do  you  measure  nitrate  level?  

Also,  do  you  think  I  should  start  dosing  phosphorus  as  well?  Currently  I  am  dosing  Seachem  Potassium  and  Flourish  only.
Planthead
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:42 am Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Hi  manish  

You  can  start  dosing  nitrogen,  also  you  can  measure  the  nitrate  level  by  using  test  kit.

All  macros  are  very  important,  but  you  can  limit  the  phosphorus  dosing.  I  had  a  good  success  with  or  without  phosphorus  dosing.  I  would  suggest  you  to  start  with  nitrogen  to  combat  BGA,  then  think  about  phosphorus.

Ensure  you  have  good  water  circulation.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:41 am Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

hi  Andrew,

Can  you  please  explain  what  is  EI  dosing?  i  typically  dose  every  day  1ml  of  fertlizers  as  written  on  bottle.  How  does  EI  differ  from  this?  Can  you  please  explain  it  for  a  layman.
n70me
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: New Scape of my 3feet (with some guidance to beginners) Reply with quote

Also,  in  your  first  post  u  mentioned  to  keep  co2  drop  checker  to  yellow?  Any  reason  you  keep  it  yellow  instead  of  green?  Is  that  only  for  initial  few  weeks  or  do  you  always  keep  it  yellow.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: