108. Guest
109. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Planted Tank Substrate
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Planted Tank Substrate

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 1:37 pm Post subject: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Dear  All,

I  was  away  on  vacation  for  three  month  and  was  forced  to  strip  my  tank  early  August,  2017.  

Now  that  I  am  back  need  to  restart/redo  my  planted  tank  all  over  again.

Need  your  expert  advise  on  Iwagumi  setup,  have  the  stone  layout  in  place  but  need  to  change  the  substrate,  
 which  I  have  used  for  over  two  years  now  and  it  seems  to  have  lost  its  nutrients.

I  have  a  medium  light  planted  tank  with  compressed  CO2,  the  plants  I  intend  to  use  are   Eleocharis  Parvula  Japanese  
 (Both  Sides  of  the  Rocks),  Micranthemum  Monte  Carlo  (Middle  between  the  Rocks),  Hydrocotyle  Tripartita  Honda
 (Behind  the  Rocks  on  both  side),  and  to  add  a  dash  of  red  colour  I  intend  to  use  Alternanthera  reineckii  “mini”

Guidance  the  tank  is  30"L  X  18"  W  X  18"  H.  Therefore,  need  your  suggestions  new  Substrate  and  my  Plant  Choice.

Thuds
mistryde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 9:16 am Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi,  

Please  specify  your  budget  for  the  substrate  and  which  substrate  you're  using  now.  Most  branded  substrates  won't  loose  their  qualities  in  2  yrs.  Maybe  you  can  still  use  it.  

Carpets  like  Monte  Carlo  and  most  red  plants  need  high  light  to  grow  to  their  true  potential.  

I  have  used  Control  soil  with  fantastic  results  for  the  last  4  yrs.  It  does  not  break  much.  I've  even  shifted  my  setup  once  to  my  new  place.  I  highly  recommend  this  soil.  On  the  budget  side  river  sand  may  be  a  good  option.  You  can  use  ADA  power  sand  as  the  base  for  better  results.  If  you  have  the  cash,  go  for  the  full  fledged  ADA  substrate  and  additives.

I'll  be  happy  to  help  you  further  if  required.  I  stay  at  Thane.
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 11:56 am Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Deepak,

Thanks  for  your  response  I  have  been  using  Contro  Soil  but  in  July,  2017  had  difficulty  in  growing  Eleocharis  Parvula  Japanese  (DHG)  with  high  light  and  CO2,  photo  period  7  hours.

Prior  to  this  have  used  AZOO  substrate  covered  with  golden  sand  for  my  medium  light  Dutch  style  planted  tank  for  a  long  period  not  sure  how  many  years.

Thuds
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 6:18 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi,  how  are  you  doing  ?  Try  Cal  Aqua  substrate  its  quite  good.  The  granules  release  very  little  ammonia  and  have  a  solid  coating  so  they  dont  crumble  as  easily.

PS  :  How  are  you  doing  Deepak  ?
mistryde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:15 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Thuds  wrote  (View  Post):                
Deepak,

Thanks  for  your  response  I  have  been  using  Contro  Soil  but  in  July,  2017  had  difficulty  in  growing  Eleocharis  Parvula  Japanese  (DHG)  with  high  light  and  CO2,  photo  period  7  hours.

Prior  to  this  have  used  AZOO  substrate  covered  with  golden  sand  for  my  medium  light  Dutch  style  planted  tank  for  a  long  period  not  sure  how  many  years.

Thuds                

Contro  soil  is  a  fantastic  soil,  no  worries  with  that.  Problem  must  be  something  else  like  lights,  dosing,  water  chemistry  etc.  You  need  to  research  a  bit.  Even  I  had  many  plants  growing  exceedingly  well  and  some  species  never  lasted  a  even  a  month  in  the  same  conditions.

If  the  granules  are  not  broken  give  it  another  try.  You'll  save  a  lot  of  money.
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Nirant,

Thanks  for  your  recommendation  CAL  Black  Earth  Premium  Soil  in  indeed  good  from  the  reviews  on  the  net.  Will  go  for  it,  however,  are  there  two  different  types  i.e.  gravel  and  powder  also  where  I  can  locally  purchase  this  substrate.  

Was  in  the  USA  and  have  picked  up  Satellite  Planted  Plus  pro  LED  24”  –  36”  for  my  tank  not  sure  this  would  put  me  in  the  high  or  medium  light.
 Website:  https://current-usa.com/aquarium-led-lights/satellite-led-fixtures/satellite-led-pro/  model  4011  with  output  of  30W.

Your  comments/thoughts  on  plants  etc.  appreciated.  

Thuds
Blesson87
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2017 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

You  could  try  eco  complete...  Heard  good  reviews  about  that.  In  my  experience  though  don't  go  for  Ada  aqua  soil...  Crumbles  into  dust  a  lot.  Initially  leeches  ammonia  and  have  been  battling  Nitrates  forever  if  I  don't  gravel  vacuum.
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 1:37 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

CAL  Black  Earth  Premium  Soil  comes  in  two  varieties  one  is  3/4  mm  granules  and  the  other  is  in  powder  form  0.5/1  mm  size.

I  am  toying  with  the  idea  of  using  granules  at  the  bottom  and  top  it  up  with  the  powder  for  ease  of  planting  foreground  plants.

Your  suggestions  and  thoughts  welcome.

Thuds
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Nov 04, 2017 9:39 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

CAL  Black  Earth  Premium  Soil  comes  in  two  varieties  one  is  3/4  mm  granules  and  the  other  is  in  powder  form  0.5/1  mm  size.

I  am  toying  with  the  idea  of  using  granules  at  the  bottom  and  top  it  up  with  the  powder  for  ease  of  planting  foreground  plants.

Your  suggestions  and  thoughts  welcome.

Thuds                

Hi,  get  the  normal  gravel  type  only  of  Cal  Aqua.  Its  got  mix  particle  sizes  and  about  25%  of  the  granules  are  "powder"  size  only  so  you  dont  need  to  go  for  the  powder  type  separately.
 The  light  you  picked  up  should  put  you  just  about  in  the  medium  light  category.
mistryde
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:08 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

I  agree.  It  becomes  much  easier  to  plant  delicate  small  plants  precisely  that  way.  Initially  I  had  bought  the  4mm  Contro  soil.  I  had  difficulty  in  planting  some  carpet  plants.  I  topped  it  up  with  powder  and  planting  became  much  easier.  Also  the  smaller  grain  size  makes  the  scale  look  slightly  bigger.
peeyooshk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 06, 2017 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

You  can  use  Tropica  as  well.  Comes  in  both  powder  and  granules.
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 11:44 am Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Nirhant,  

Thanks  for  your  guidance  regarding  the  CAL  Black  Earth  Premium  Soil,  noted.

Based  on  the  light  will  I  be  able  to  grow  the  proposed  plants  listed.

Also  where  do  I  order  CAL  Black  Earth  Premium  Soil  from,  do  we  have  a  local  vendor  from  where  I  can  procure.  

Thuds
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2017 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

Please  find  below  link  which  provide  the  PAR  values  of  the  Satellite  Planted  Plus  pro  LED.

http://current-usa.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/02/Satellite-LED-PAR.pdf

Thuds
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 7:36 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Your  light  should  be  fine.  You  can  contact  Ryan  at  Ferns  aqua  studio  for  Cal  Aqua  he  should  have  it  in  stock
Thuds
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: Planted Tank Substrate Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

While  I  am  in  the  process  of  redoing  my  planted  tank  I  need  to  place  something  at  the  bottom  of  my  tank  essentially  to  raise  the  rock  formation.

Am  sure  some  of  you  would  have  done  this  to  reduce  the  stress  on  the  bottom  glass  and  lift  the  aquarium  decorations,  any  suggestion  in  this  regards  appreciated.

Thuds
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: