188. Guest
189. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,698

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - What's the solution??
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

What's the solution??

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths
View previous topic :: View next topic  
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:29 pm Post subject: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

This  is  a  shout  out  to  all  the  experienced  Betta  keepers.  I  want  to  gain  from  your  experience.
 My  Fish  lived  for  a  little  over  a  month,  He  was  healthy  for  most  part  -  towards  the  end  lying  sideways,  on  the  bottom  of  the  tank  (last  3  days  or  so)
 That  actually  happened  for  2  days   mid  month  too.  All  i  did  was  transfer  him  to  another  container  and  give  him  a  treatment  for  half  an  hour  with  raid  all  general  aid.  He  recovered  reasonably  well.
 I  did  have  a  slight  problem  with  his  appetite  too  (Another  post  BETTA  NOT  EATING  AND  I'M  WORRIED)  BUT  that's  not  why  he  died.  

Initially  i  did  a  50%  water  change  in  the  first  week.  And  then  20%  to  30%  every  10  days,
 The  tank  is  12"  X  8"  X  10"  and  there  was  one  air  pump  with  a  stone  and  i  was  advised  to  keep  it  off  (initially  when  he  wasn't  eating),   No  heater,  one  plastic  plant  and  colorful  stones  on  the  bottom  (all  of  these  thoroughly  washed  separately  with  plain  lukewarm  water).
 The  entire  setup  was  kept  for  4  days  with  water  (Changed  once  after  first  2  days)  to  help  build  good  bacteria.  After  that  the  fish  wast  added  in  the  standard  method  (Floating  the  plastic  bag  for  an  hour  or  2)

I  don't  want  to  give  up  on  the  hobby,  i  want  to  set  up  this  3.5  gallon  tank  again,  so  please  advise  me  where  did  i  possibly  go  wrong?
 My  personal  doubt  is  during  the  water  changes,  it  was  just  tap  water  with  de-chlorinator  (added  10  mins  before  putting  into  the  fish  tank).
immu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Suggest,  you  keep  a  sponge  filter  or  a  small  Hang  on  back  filter  instead  of  airstone.  
 Whenever  you  do  a  water  change,  make  sure  you  dont  just  change  the  water  quickly  until  unless  it  has  same  temperature  and  parameters  (for  me  i  keep  the  source  of  water  same  and  have  never  tested  the  water  parameters).  Use  aged  water,  maybe  keep  a  gallon  filled  and  use  it  when  you  do  WC.
 From  where  did  you  buy  your  betta  from?
 What  food  you  used  to  feed  him,  how  often  and  how  much?
 You  definitely  need  not  leave  the  hobby,  you  will  soon  learn,  just  keep  reading  on  the  net  and  keep  shooting  your  queries  here.  
 Good  Luck  Smile
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Hi  immu,  
 Thanks  for  your  your  kind  and  encouraging  words.  
 I  got  the  fish  from  a  LFS  at  Tardeo  (Since  you  are  from  Mumbai,  you  will  know).  
 Food  was  micro  pellets  (black  coloured)  2  to  3  pellets  per  day.  Each  pellet  had  to  be  cut  into  2  so  that  he  could  eat  it,  so  around  6  mouthfulls.  

I've  tried  to  post  pictures  of  my  (one  footer)  tank  along  with  the  accessories  it  had/has.   But  since  it's  that  small  is  it  necessary  to  have  a  filter  in  that  small  a  tank?
immu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:13 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Though  its  not  uncommon  that  these  undemanding  bettas  are  kept  in   small  cubes  or  bowls,  a  small  on  back  or  sponge  filter  is  strongly  recommended.  Read  about  fish  tank  cycling  on  this  forum  and  /  or  on  google.  
 Black  pellets  but  which  brand  incase  you  know?
 Best  is  to  buy  good  quality  food  like  hikari  or  tetrabits.  Even  a  small  packet  will  go  on  for  a  long  time  as  bettas  just  need  4-5  pellets  a  day.
 You  may  also  consider  to  remove  these  stones/gravel  as  lot  of  debris  will  get  trapped  in  it,  making  cleaning  difficult  and  leading  to  poor  water  quality.  
 Keep  the  tank  bare  bottom.  Once  you  get  some  experience  with  keeping  betta,  maybe  then  you  can  add  some  fine  sand.  You  may  also  add  money  plants  in  your  tank.  Keep  a  leaf  or  two  in  such  a  way  that  it's  near  to  the  waterline  so  betta  can  rest  in  it.  
 What  I  do  is  I  change  a  litre  or  two  of  water  every  day  from  my  similar  sized  tank  and  use  that  water  to  water  my  plants.  And  never  had  problems  with  my  bettas  so  far.
 So  give  that  a  try.  And  make  sure  you  buy  a  happy  and  healthy  betta.  Observe  the  fish  and  don't  just  go  for  fancy  looks  that  are  not  active
immu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2018 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

https://youtu.be/viF1zGPGjvU

This  is  one  of  my  betta  for  your  viewing  pleasure.  Enjoys  Smile
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2018 6:43 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Hi  Immu,
 What  about  gravel  vacums/  siphons?
 I  Have  one  of  those  but  didn't  use  it.  Shouldn't  that  be  a  good  way  to  clean  out  left  over  food  etc  from  under  those  stones?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 9:14 am Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

oliveridley  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Immu,
 I  Have  one  of  those  but  didn't  use  it.  Shouldn't  that  be  a  good  way  to  clean  out  left  over  food  etc  from  under  those  stones?                

Mechanical  filtration  isn't  paramount  in  your  tank.  It's  just  one  betta.  However  a  filter  it's  required  to  get  your  biological  filtration  going.  The  filter  acts  like  a  living  colony  of  sanitary  workers  for  your  tank.  This  keeps  your  tank  chemically  balanced  which  you  cannot  do  with  frequent  water  changes  or  gravel  vaccs.

But  i  think  more  than  that,  I  feel  the  tank  lacks  places  to  hide  and  its  making  him  stressed.  Add  another  plastic  plant,  maybe  a  broken  pot  cave  and  if  you  have  a  somewhat  powerful  light  source,  add  floating  plants  like  water  lettuce.

EDIT:  Did  not  realize  that  youv'e  lost  the  fish.  Sad  to  know.  Since  you  have  an  empty  tank,  you  have  time  and  an  opportunity  to  redo  the  tank.  If  I  were  you,  I  would:

•  Remove  the  gravel

•  Add  a  few  large  rocks,  try  to  create  a  cave  like  structure  for  the  fish  to  hide.

•  Add  a  rock  plant  like  anubias  nana  or  java  moss

•  Add  a  few  Water  Lettuce

•  Get  a  small  sponge  filter

•  Get  at  least  a  4W  Phillips  bulb

•  Add  one  dried  almond  leaf

•  Cycle  the  tank  for  at  least  2  weeks

immu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2018 12:08 am Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

oliveridley  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Immu,

Yup,  why  not.  Since  you  already  have  a  gravel  vacuum,  do  use  it  when  doing  water  change.

Whatever  gravel,  rocks  or  decorations  you  go  for,  make  sure  they  are  not  sharp  enough  to  tear  apart  your  betta's  fin.  
 Get  a  plakat  betta  this  time  if  available.  In  my  experience  with  bettas,  they  are  more  active  due  to  short  fins  and  also  less  likely  to  fin  rots.
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:09 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Hi...
 Sorry  for  being  off  the  radar  for  so  long,  been  a  bit  busy  with  work.
 I  decided  to  get  a  small  sponge  filter  for  the  tiny  tank,  just  started  the  filter  yesterday  and  i'll  give  it  a  couple  of  days  more  to  allow  good  bacteria  growth  on  the  gravel  in  the  tank.

Started  it  off  with  the  air  pump  (Deliberately  placed  in  front  for  the  photo).  The  question  is  does  it  have  to  be  on  24/7?  If  yes,  i  hope  the  air  bubbles  don't  harass  the  Betta  at  night!

@ashwin1224  the  plants  seem  too  intimidating  to  go  for  right  now,  i  think  this  is  an  easier  way  &  i'm  going  to  try  out  with  a  new  betta  maybe  next  week.

This  filter  is  just  perfect  (size  wise)  for  a  small  tank  or  bowl,,  its  5.5cms  Diameter.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:26 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Ideally  you  should  run  it  24x7,  the  fish  wont  mind  it  if  there  are  a  few  places  for  it  to  hide.  A  small  rock  cave  or  a  broken  inverted  clay  pot  is  perfect  for  it.  Have  you  deliberately  kept  the  water  level  low?  I  would  suggest  you  to  keep  as  much  water  as  your  tank  can  safely  hold,  mostly  because  you  already  dont  have  a  lot  of  volume  to  play  with,  the  less  volume  you  have,  the  more  your  parameters  can  fluctuate.  In  your  case,  every  liter  is  valuable

Are  you  using  any  light?
oliveridley
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:08 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ideally  you  should  run  it  24x7,  the  fish  wont  mind  it  if  there  are  a  few  places  for  it  to  hide.  A  small  rock  cave  or  a  broken  inverted  clay  pot  is  perfect  for  it.  Have  you  deliberately  kept  the  water  level  low?  I  would  suggest  you  to  keep  as  much  water  as  your  tank  can  safely  hold,  mostly  because  you  already  dont  have  a  lot  of  volume  to  play  with,  the  less  volume  you  have,  the  more  your  parameters  can  fluctuate.  In  your  case,  every  liter  is  valuable

Are  you  using  any  light?                

No  light  being  used  Ashwin,
 I  want  to  know  when  you  say  clay  pot,  you  mean  actual  clay  material?  I  ve  seen  the  pictures  of  this  on  the  net  but  didn't  know  the  material.
 Yes,  i  did  keep  the  water  level  only  to  that  much  because  i  thought  i  should  leave  some  circulation  space  for  air  and  since  the  previous  fish  did  come  up  to  the  surface  to  breathe  it  seemed  appropriate.  Do  you  think  more  water  can  be  added?  I  do  keep  the  lid  (half  of  it  is  openable)  open  for  a  bit,  especially  post  feeding  to  allow  air  circulation.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2018 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: What's the solution?? Reply with quote

Yes  it  is  actual  clay,  the  brown  ones  used  for  planting  plants.  I  would  suggest  getting  a  brand  new  one,  letting  it  soak  in  water  for  a  few  days  and  then  using  it.  You  can  buy  it  from  any  nursery  or  gardening  store,  or  you  might  even  have  a  few  laying  in  your  home.

You  dont  really  need  to  keep  space  above  your  water  level  for  gas  exchange,  its  not  like  the  lid  is  airtight.  And  gas  exchange  needs  surface  agitation  to  happen,  now  since  you  will  be  using  an  air  driven  filter,  you  dont  need  to  worry  about  it.  Fill  it  to  the  brim/safe  level.  

Get  a  small  light  ASAP.  If  you  are  handy  with  a  bit  of  DIY,  then  get  some  thing  like  this  3W  LED  module,  you  can  get  2  or  3  of  these  modules  and  you  will  need  a  12V  500mA(minimum)  adapter  for  them  to  run.  They  have  2  sided  tape  on  the  back  so  you  can  either  just  put  them  on  the  inside  of  the  lid  or  you  can  use  a  strip  of  acrylic  or  a  metal  scale  or  any  other  handy  material,  stick  these  to  the  underside  and  rest  it  across  the  brim  of  the  tank.  Or  you  can  just  use  a  normal  4W  LED  bulb  if  your  lid  has  a  provision  of  a  holder  in  it.  I  would  go  with  the  3W  modules  though,  since  they  run  cooler  than  the  LED  bulb  and  they  give  off  a  cool  "shimmer"  creating  light  ripples  in  your  tank.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Betta Bitten and other Labyrinths All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: