181. Guest
182. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,714

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 7G low tech tank Journal.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

7G low tech tank Journal.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2018 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Sterilize  your  tank.  see  how  to  make  that  twin  star  DiY,  you  wont  regret  it
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2018 12:28 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Sterilize  your  tank.  see  how  to  make  that  twin  star  DiY,  you  wont  regret  it                
 Nah  man,  I  am  happy  with  the  tank  is,  sure  I'm  battling  brown  algae,  but  thats  is  receding  fast.  I  realized  I  had  too  much  light  and  my  substrate  wasn't  the  best,  nor  was  I  dosing  CO2  consistently(DIY  systems  are  only  little  bit  accurate).  I  reduced  the  light,  am  gonna  add  a  few  more  plants,  and  it'll  be  contained.  Just  the  moss  and  valls  growing  good  seems  to  have  deterred  the  algae  a  lot.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2018 1:46 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Another  Update:  Lost  another  guppy.  Strangely  did  not  find  the  body  too.  The  remaining  guppy  does  not  seem  to  show  any  signs  of  illness.  Gourami  are  doing  really  good,  their  colors  have  improved,  they're  always  active.  One  of  them  had  a  torn  caudal  fin,  which  has  completely  healed.  Rathbunis  are  doing  great  too.  They  are  feeding  good.  One  of  them  was  very  weak  and  looked  like  it  had  some  spine  abnormality  when  I  got  him  10  days  ago  but  within  this  short  span  he  has  recovered  well  and  now  is  indistinguishable  from  the  rest.

Question:  I  am  planning  to  rehome  the  gouramis,  probably  give  it  back  to  the  LFS.  What  should  I  replace  them  with?  Im  thinking  of  tetras,  can  you  guys  suggest  some  options  that  would  complement  the  tank  and  the  Rathbunis?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 4:25 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Added  12x  Juvenile  Red  Cherry  Shrimps.  The  tank  lacked  a  good  clean  up  crew  so  hopefully  the  addition  is  going  to  improve  over  all  health  of  the  system.

A  disturbing  trend  seems  to  be  appearing.  One  by  one  fishes  are  getting  sick  and  dying.  One  of  my  Rathbunis  became  pale,  and  was  swimming  erratically.  This  happened  over  night.  By  the  morning  he  was  too  far  gone.  I  just  removed  him  from  the  main  tank  and  put  him  in  a  hospital  tank  for,  only  for  him  to  die  shortly.  I  passed  it  off  as  the  fish  being  weak  already  when  I  got  him.  However,  today  one  of  the  honey  gourami's  is  being  lethargic.  I  need  to  find  out  whats  harming  my  fishes!
Planthead
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 10:33 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Ashwin,

Check  for  water  parameter,  some  thing  wrong  with  your  bioload,  first  stabilize  that.  Then  your  soil  lost  all  nutrition,  how  about  adding  root  tabs.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 11:22 am Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Planthead  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ashwin,

Check  for  water  parameter,  some  thing  wrong  with  your  bioload,  first  stabilize  that.  Then  your  soil  lost  all  nutrition,  how  about  adding  root  tabs.                

Thanx  for  the  suggestion,  I  didn't  have  a  freshwater  kit  handy  but  i  did  have  a  saltwater  kit,  so  after  a  bit  of  research  I  found  out  these  tests  are  in  fact  interchangeable.  The  only  difference  being  they  turn  out  different  colours  for  SW  and  FW  so  all  I  needed  was  the  FW  colour  chart  which  was  merely  a  Google  search  away.  Also,  the  marine  kit  only  has  high  range  PH  whose  reading  starts  out  at  7.4.

Anyway  here  are  the  results:

Ph:  7.8
 Ammonia:  0  ppm
 Nitrite:  0  ppm
 Nitrate:  5.0  ppm
 Temperature:  28°C

I  feel  the  5.0  nitrate  isn't  too  bad,  but  7.8  ph  is  quite  worrisome.  I  lost  a  shrimp  today  as  well.  This  is  alarming.  Ive  changed  the  water  today.  Tested  the  water  that  I  added  and  it  wad  7.4,  it  can  be  lower  but  I'll  have  to  get  a  low  range  kit  to  test  it.  I'll  get  the  kit  today  and  and  test  again.  I  think  I  should  add  an  almond  leaf,  or  atleast  half  of  one  to  lower  the  ph  naturally.  

Do  you  think  I  should  not  be  getting  nitrate  reading  this  high  as  well?

EDIT:  High  PH  is  even  more  alarming  when  you  consider  theres  significant  amount  of  driftwood  already  present  in  the  tank.
Planthead
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2018 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Ashwin  the  tank  size  is  very  small,  any  slight  fluctuation  might  be  harmful  for  fish.PH  fluctuations  would  be  harmful  then  steady  7.8
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 12:05 am Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Planthead  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ashwin  the  tank  size  is  very  small,  any  slight  fluctuation  might  be  harmful  for  fish.PH  fluctuations  would  be  harmful  then  steady  7.8                
 True.  I've  changed  water  but  unless  I  get  a  low  range  PH  kit,  I  wont  add  anything  to  alter  the  PH.  I'll  wait  a  week  and  again  test  to  see  how  todays  water  change  has  affected  the  parameters.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 5:24 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

your  tank  is  not  cycled  properly.  Do  you  have  a  sponge  filter?  run  it.  

Your  substrate  is  also  not  clean  it  seems.  put  some  fast  growing  plants  and  balance  your  tank.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2018 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
your  tank  is  not  cycled  properly.  Do  you  have  a  sponge  filter?  run  it.  

Your  substrate  is  also  not  clean  it  seems.  put  some  fast  growing  plants  and  balance  your  tank.                
 I  cycled  it  for  1  month  before  adding  fish.  And  I  have  a  500lph  internal  filter  running  in  the  tank.  

However,  since  I'm  using  a  spray  bar  the  flow  is  quite  reduced.  Substrate  being  dirty  might  be  a  reason,  however  I  siphon  it  weekly  while  water  change.

I  feel  the  biggest  issue  is  the  substrate  has  gone  bad.  Im  yet  to  test  low  range  ph,  will  get  back  with  results  soon.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Double  Post

Last edited by ashwin1224 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Double  Post

Last edited by ashwin1224 on Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2018 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Tested  Ph  and  other  Parameters  and  all  are  0,  Ph  is  6.8.  Okay  I  guess.  This  test  was  done  3  days  after  the  weekly  water  change.  Tested  for  the  Ph  before  the  water  change  and  it  was  7.0.  This  has  been  consistent  for  2  water  change  cycles.

In  other  news,  my  DIY  root  tabs  are  ready.  I  figured  my  substrate  has  been  rendered  inert  by  all  the  years  of  remaining  dry  so  root  tabs  are  gonna  help.  I've  used  an  Osomocote  clone  called  "Wonder  Cote"  which  is  available  for  cheap  here.  Today  is  the  first  day  with  these  Root  tabs  in  my  tank  so  I  will  have  to  observe  for  a  week  before  I  say  it  works  or  not.  They  come  out  to  be  really  cheap  though.  About  ?1.5  per  tab.  And  IMO  they  look  ultra  cool  Chuckle  

I  will  be  using  these  tabs  for  my  upcoming  125G  tank  as  well.  Fingers  crossed!

EDIT:  Using  the  word  "Update"  as  the  second  word  of  your  post  breaks  the  forum  Police
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2018 11:10 am Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

Good  luck  ashwin

What  subtract  you  are  using,   I  am  planning  for  a  low  tech  tank  can  I  use  contra  soil  or  aqua  clay
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2018 8:21 am Post subject: Re: 7G low tech tank Journal. Reply with quote

alextvino  wrote  (View  Post):                

Good  luck  ashwin

What  subtract  you  are  using,   I  am  planning  for  a  low  tech  tank  can  I  use  contra  soil  or  aqua  clay

Thanks  alex.  When  I  started  the  tank  for  the  first  time  it  had  inert  white  sand.  Very  soon  it  was  topped  with  a  mix  of  Contro  soil  and  a  top  shelf  Azoo  substrate.  But  this  tank  was  left  dry  in  the  open  for  almost  2  years  when  I  restarted  it,  and  Ive  been  facing  all  sorts  of  algae  and  plant  deficiencies  with  this.  So  IMO  it  has  been  rendered  inert.  But  right  now  it  is  1"  of  white  sand,  topped  with  1"  of  contro  soil,  capped  with  1"  of  azoo.

However  when  I  first  set  it  up  with  the  azoo  and  contro-soil  substrate,  it  had  nice  carpet  of  monte-carlo  and  micro  swords  without  any  CO2  and  mid  light,  without  any  dosing.  

If  I  were  to  restart  this  tank,  I  would  definitely  go  with  contro-soil  capped  with  an  about  3/4th  inch  of  black  blasting  sand  or  something  similar  in  natuee  and  texture.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: