165. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,674

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - 125G tank Journal
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

125G tank Journal
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 3:31 pm Post subject: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Hi  All!

This  is  the  tank  journal  for  my  125G  tank.  The  tank  is  almost  12  year  old,  and  as  such  has  plenty  of  scratches.  It  recieved  a  mild  midlife  upgrade  in  the  form  of  a  wooden  frame  to  hide  the  unsightly  joints.  However,  the  tank  is  made  from  solid  10mm  glass  and  is  tough  as  nails.  Over  the  past  few  years  though,  it  has  been  laying  neglected  as  I  was  busy  with  work  and  no  one  else  could  handle  the  tank.  It  housed  a  few  oscars  and  GTs  for  sometime  but  they  didn't  last  very  long.  

Here  are  the  tank  specs

•  Dimensions:  5.5ft*2ft*2.5ft  (L*B*H)

•  Substrate:  Inert  white  sand  over  10mm  gravel

•  Lighting:  120W  6500k  LED

•  Filter:  2x  1000LpH  internal  powerfilters  +  1x  3000LpH  circulation  pump

•  Dosing:  None,  apart  from  root  tabs  for  some  plants

This  is  how  the  tank  looks  now:

I  know  the  walls  are  dirty  right  now,  they'll  be  cleaned  before  plants  are  added.  I  am  thinking  of  adding  some  taller  driftwood  as  well.  I  am  in  two  minds  about  the  background.  I  know  black  is  universally  good  for  planted  tanks,  but  I  find  myself  leaning  towards  white  as  well,  it  doesn't  have  any  background  right  now.  What  do  you  suggest?

The  plants  that  I've  planned  for  this  setup  are:

•  Anubias  Barteri

•  Anubias  Nana

•  Java  Fern  (needle  leaf)

•  Crypt.  Wendtii

•  Giant  Valisneria

•  Amazon  Swords

I  am  looking  for  good  mid  and  foreground  plant  for  the  setup  as  well,  any  suggestions?  Low  lights  and  inert  substrate  limit  options  severely,  however  I  do  plan  on  adding  root  tabs,  so  maybe  there  might  be  a  few  plants  which  will  do  well.

I  am  planning  on  adding  DIY  root  tabs  for  the  root  plants,  but  I'm  not  gonna  fertilize  other  ways.

Fauna  that  is  planned  right  now  is:

•  26-30  Lemon  Tetra

•  15-18  Rummy  Nose  Tetra/Harlequin  Rasbora  (Either  this  or  the  Praecox)

•  12-14  Praecox  Rainbows

•  8-12  Boesmani  Rainbows

•  12  Panda  Corydoras

•  4-6  Geophagus  Tapajos

What  do  you  guys  think  about  the  setup,  comments  and  critique  welcome.  I  am  open  to  suggestions  for  any  change  in  flora  or  fauna.  The  main  requirement  is  that  all  the  inhabitants  must  be  hardy  and  peaceful,  as  for  plants,  they  need  to  be  able  to  flourish  with  the  existing  light  setup  and  substrate.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 22, 2018 6:26 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

hi  ashwin  Cheering  

BIG!  tank,  the  base  is  2  feet  wide  that  is  a  lot  of  floor  for  plants.  why  dont  you  start  a  dutch  style  tank,  adding  colour  to  your  tank.  buy  good  river  sand  about  3  inches  substrate.  start  a  carpet  with  marselia  or  monte  carlo,  then  slowly  add  a  variety  of  plants.  you  will  need  co2  and  an  external  filter.

see  the  youtube  video  of  pedro  rosa  dutch  style  tank  its   Cheering  awesome.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 8:36 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

I'd  say  a  lot  of  amazon  swords.

We  have  some  very  good  varieties  commonly  available  these  days.  

Substrate  looks  too  bright  with  white  all  over,  maybe  you  can  replace  most  of  it  from  back,  for  some  darker  river  gravel(with  a  rich  fertile  base  layer  for  crypts  and  sword).

You  can  as  well  lower  the  lights  if  you  do  not  intend  to  put  pressurized  co2  setup  on  this.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 23, 2018 1:20 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                

hi  ashwin  Cheering  

BIG!  tank,  the  base  is  2  feet  wide  that  is  a  lot  of  floor  for  plants.  why  dont  you  start  a  dutch  style  tank,  adding  colour  to  your  tank.  buy  good  river  sand  about  3  inches  substrate.  start  a  carpet  with  marselia  or  monte  carlo,  then  slowly  add  a  variety  of  plants.  you  will  need  co2  and  an  external  filter.

see  the  youtube  video  of  pedro  rosa  dutch  style  tank  its   Cheering  awesome.

Hey  maan  Chuckle  

The  options  are  infinite,  time  and  budget  are  not  Smile  Therefore  I  am  gonna  stick  to  low  tech  for  this  tank.  I  dont  wanna  go  for  a  very  fertile  substrate  or  too  much  dosing,  or  too  much  light  because  I  wanna  avoid  algae  as  much  as  possible.  The  fish  need  to  be  the  highlight  of  this  tank,  and  plants  would  merely  complement  the  fauna.

Hamza  wrote  (View  Post):                

I'd  say  a  lot  of  amazon  swords.

We  have  some  very  good  varieties  commonly  available  these  days.  

Substrate  looks  too  bright  with  white  all  over,  maybe  you  can  replace  most  of  it  from  back,  for  some  darker  river  gravel(with  a  rich  fertile  base  layer  for  crypts  and  sword).

You  can  as  well  lower  the  lights  if  you  do  not  intend  to  put  pressurized  co2  setup  on  this.

Lots  of  swords  it  is!  Can  you  suggest  some  good  varieties?  I  was  planning  on  keeping  only  the  regular  Echinodors  amazonicus.  

Substrate  is  supposed  to  be  bright,  it  has  brown  gravel  underneath  who's  looks  I  didnt  like  a  lot.  I  dont  wanna  have  a  very  fertile  substrate  because  I  wanna  avoid  algae  as  much  as  possible.  Instead  I  plan  on  adding  root  tabs  in  certain  locations  for  the  plants.

However,  now  that  I  think  about  it,  re-inserting  root  tabs  after  2-3  months  of  growth  is  going  to  be  a  P.I.T.A.,  maybe  I  can  have  a  few  "islands"  of  fertile  substrate  in  certain  places  where  the  plantation  is  going  to  happen.  I  am  still  a  bit  vary  of  adding  a  fertile  substrate  though.

And  do  you  think  the  light  is  too  much?  I  had  a  feeling  the  tank  is  towards  the  low  end  in  terms  of  lighting,  about  12,000  Lumen  for  a  125G.  As  a  rule  of  thumb(purely  anecdotal)  I  consider  anything  under  120  lumen/gallon  as  a  low  light  (this  tank  is  96lumen/gallon).
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:25 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Oh,  you  are  going  to  have  tapajos  in  this  setup,  dont  know  how  I  missed  it.

I  have  seen  many  people  doing  pretty  decent  low  tech  setups  with  tapajos/  eartheaters,  but  I  have  failed  personally,  maybe  I  had  the  crazy  bunch.  Eartheaters,  I  even  had  guinacaras  once  along  with  robust  plants.  They  dig  with  passion  man,  its  a  huge  PITA  even  without  a  layer  of  soil  in  islands.

They  even  pulled  out  old  matured  large  sized  swords  in  the  tank.

I  tried  2-3"  black  plastic  pots  as  well  topped  with  large  bits  of  gravel  tightly  packed,  they  dint  spare  that  either.

Tired  of  all  this  I  tied  a  piece  of  decent  sized  rock  to  the  plant  in  substrate  with  a  half  rootball  tucked  right  beneath  the  rock,  that  seemed  to  work...for  sometime...till  the  breeding  pair  chose  the  spot  to  lay  eggs  right  by  the  large  sword.  Annoyed  by  the  waving  leaves(I  believe),  they  shredded  the  ones  close  to  their  eggs  and  piled  up  sand  on  the  other  side  of  rock  completely  burrying  the  sword  rosette  under  2-3in  of  sand,  eventually  killing  it.

After  that  I  removed  all  the  sand  leaving  about  an  inch  evenly  all  over,  added  a  few  pieces  of  large  wood  with  anubias  tied  on  it.  This  along  with  a  bunch  of  floating  plants  did  the  trick  for  me.

I  suggest  you  start  out  with  plants  first,  let  them  settle  in  nicely,  no  soil,  with  just  root  tabs/capsules  under  the  swords(you  can  use  liquid  fertilizers  like  seachem  excel/glut  for  carbon  on  a  frequent  basis  and  tropica  premium  fertilizer  once  in  a  while  to  maintain  plant  health).  Let  the  plants  grow  in  for  a  month  or  so  and  then  add  a  bunch  of  small  tapajos  around  2".  Tapajos  in  a  well  maintained  tank  grow  pretty  quick.

I  wish  you  luck  for  your  setup.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 5:31 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

And  for  the  swords  you  can  try  Echinodorus  Major,  E.  argentinensis,  E.  Rubin,  E.  Bleheri,  E.ozelot,  E.Parviflorus(forms  a  nice  8-12"  semicircular  clump).  For  other  robust  low  tech  plants  you  can  add  red  lilly,  Aponogetton  crispus,  crypt  wendtii,  crypt  pontederifolia.

Dont  add  too  many  of  the  swords,  one  or  two  plants  of  each  variety  will  suffice.  A  total  of  4-6  matured  swords  over  a  period  of  12months  can  completely  cover  your  tank.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:07 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Oh,  you  are  going  to  have  tapajos  in  this  setup,  dont  know  how  I  missed  it.

Thanx  for  your  inputs  regarding  eartheaters!

I  knew  they'd  be  a  hit  or  miss,  and  as  such  Im  not  too  keen  on  keeping  them.  But  I  cant  find  any  other  interesting  fish  that  would  do  well  in  this  setup  hence  I  was  sticking  to  them,  I  dont  wanna  keep  angels  in  it,  and  I  wont  be  able  to  care  for  discuss  I  think  .  Im  looking  for  a  peaceful   fish  that  grows  to  atleast  5  inch,  and  which  wont  make  lunch  out  of  the  tetra  schools.  Can  you  suggest  something?
vm120286
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 10:18 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  knew  they'd  be  a  hit  or  miss,  and  as  such  Im  not  too  keen  on  keeping  them.  But  I  cant  find  any  other  interesting  fish  that  would  do  well  in  this  setup  hence  I  was  sticking  to  them,  I  dont  wanna  keep  angels  in  it,  and  I  wont  be  able  to  care  for  discuss  I  think  .  Im  looking  for  a  peaceful  ¬†fish  that  grows  to  atleast  5  inch,  and  which  wont  make  lunch  out  of  the  tetra  schools.  Can  you  suggest  something?                

How  about  Bosemani  rainbows?  They're  hardy,  beautiful  colored  and  don't  trouble  the  tetras  Smile
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 31, 2018 11:40 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

vm120286  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  knew  they'd  be  a  hit  or  miss,  and  as  such  Im  not  too  keen  on  keeping  them.  But  I  cant  find  any  other  interesting  fish  that  would  do  well  in  this  setup  hence  I  was  sticking  to  them,  I  dont  wanna  keep  angels  in  it,  and  I  wont  be  able  to  care  for  discuss  I  think  .  Im  looking  for  a  peaceful  ¬†fish  that  grows  to  atleast  5  inch,  and  which  wont  make  lunch  out  of  the  tetra  schools.  Can  you  suggest  something?                

How  about  Bosemani  rainbows?  They're  hardy,  beautiful  colored  and  don't  trouble  the  tetras  Smile                

Hey  vm,  Ive  already  mentioned  bosemanis  in  my  list  of  selected  fishes  in  the  first  post  Smile
vm120286
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2018 1:05 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Ah,  sorry  my  bad  bro..  How  about  some  exotic  African  butterflyfish?  Top  dwellers
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:54 am Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

vm120286  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ah,  sorry  my  bad  bro..  How  about  some  exotic  African  butterflyfish?  Top  dwellers                
 They  are  a  good  fish,  however  availability  is  a  concern.  Many  others  have  suggested  for  the  same  too.

Im  thinkin  medium  to  large  schoosl  of  bosemanis,  praecox,  lemon  tetras  and  rummy  nose  tetras  will  look  great,  a  long  with  several  loaches  including  a  few  clown  loaches  will  look  great  for  the  setting.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 11, 2018 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

The  tank  has  been  left  running  for  sometime,  since  the  wood  is  still  releasing  tannins.  In  the  mean  time  this  is  the  plant  list  that  I  have  finalized:

•  Cryptocoryne  Wendtii  "Tropica"  x10

•  Rotala  Nanjenshan  x10

•  Pistia  Stratiotes  x10  [Water  lettuce]

•  Echinodorus  Parviflorus  "Tropica"  x3

•  Echinodorus  Major  x2

•  Echinodorus  Amazonicus  x10

•  Cryptocoryne  Pontederiifolia  x3

•  Hydrocotyle  Leucocephala  x20

I  am  thinking  of  adding  bacopa  monieri  and  rotala  rotundifolia  as  well.  I  have  some  java  moss  growing  in  my  7G  nano,  and  I  am  planning  on  setting  up  a  farm  bucket  for  the  moss  to  later  use  in  this  tank,  because  I  will  need  LOADS  of  it  should  I  decide  to  use  it.

What  do  you  think  about  the  plant  list?  Will  they  survive  in  an  inert  substrate  with  120W  of  LED?  Most  are  low  to  medium  light  plants  but  they  are  root  feeders,  which  brings  me  to  my  other  topic...

Can  you  suggest  me  some  low  cost  fertilizers?  I  can  see  plenty  20-20-20  NPK  fertilizers  on  amazon,  but  I  am  looking  for  something  that  is  similar  to  aquatic  ratios,  14-14-14ish.  I  am  also  looking  for  an  osmocote  substitute  for  my  DIY  root  tabs,  since  the  one  I  had  decided  earlier  contains  copper  which  can  harm  inverts.

EDIT:  I  found  an  Osmocote  clone  that  has  a  14-7-14  ratio  along  with  slow  release  resin.  Going  to  order  it  and  see  how  it  goes.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Update:  Added  root  tabs  and  a  few  Amazon  Swords  to  the  tank  to  test  the  tabs.  Will  wait  a  week  before  ordering  more  plants  for  the  setup.  The  wood  is  still  leaching  things,  and  is  a  bit  unsightly,  but  it'll  go  away,  wood  always  does  this.  Right  now  the  tank  has:
 5-6x  Amazon  Sword
 2x  Valisneria  Spiralis

Added  5x  Root  tabs  near  the  plants  too.

Few  Pics:

And  the  Root  tabs:

Query:  Ive  read  in  several  places  to  not  plant  the  "bulb"  of  the  E.  Amazonicus.  However,  the  plants  I  got  have  very  small  roots,  and  there  is  no  way  they'll  stay  anchored  if  the  base  of  the  leaves  are  not  under  the  sand.  How  should  I  plant  them  then?
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2018 4:46 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

So  diatoms  have  taken  over  the  tank  completely!

Plants  are  growing,  growth  is  slow,  I  expected  more  after  10  days  of  planting.  Almost  all  Amazons  are  throwing  new  leaves  and  valisneria  seems  to  have  sprouted  a  few  runners.

However,  DIATOMS!!  The  entire  sand  has  turned  an  ugly  brown!  Manual  removal  is  impossible  due  to  the  sheer  volume.  Im  gonna  try  and  reduce  the  photoperiod  to  see  what  happens  but  I've  read  diatoms  are  quite  resilient.  Maybe  if  I  add  a  lot  more  plants  they'll  out  compete  the  menace.

Any  tips?  The  water  in  my  area  is  high  in  GH,  however  I've  not  run  a  test  recently  to  point  to  any  numbers.  Evaporation  always  seems  to  leave  scales.
swiftwind
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2018 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: 125G tank Journal Reply with quote

Hi  All!

It  recieved  a  mild  midlife  upgrade  in  the  form  of  a  wooden  .                

Hi,  Can  you  provide  some  insight  how  this  wooden  frame  was  done.  My  5  feet  also  is  having  same  ugly  corners  .  Also  i  am  unable  to  find  any  5  feet  compatable  lighting  as  of  now  tubes  are  placed   over  the  tank  which  is  awfully  bad  and  is  an  eyesore.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: