49. Guest
50. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Which is better for a planted aquarium?
Seeds
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Live Plants
100%
 100%  [ 10 ]
Total Votes : 10

Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 11:23 am Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

ashwin1224  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thats  a  trumpet  snail.  Its  really  good  in  small  numbers  but  it  doesn't  take  long  for  it  to  grow  out  of  control  which  Im  sure  you  know  all  too  well.  Trouble  with  this  snail  is  that  it  is  a  livebearing  snail,  i.e.  it  births  full  formed  tiny  snails  rather  than  lay  eggs  which  take  time  to  develop  into  adults.  Best  course  of  action  for  controlling  these  are  to  reduce  food  and/or  add  snail  predators  like  clown  loaches  and  pea  puffers.                

I  will  get  assassin  sails  once  I  set  up  my  aquarium.  Is  that  the  same  on  your  picture  too?  As  I  stated  before  I  am  new  to  this  hobby  and  cant  really  differentiate  all  the  things  i  see  :p.
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

alextvino  wrote  (View  Post):                

Ashwin  Please  have  a  look  on  my  snail  and  share  your  view

Thats  a  Pond  Snail  man.  Absolute  nuisance  lol  

Best  way  to  rid  of  them  is  cupramine.  There  are  other  ways  such  as  feeding  less,  adding  assassin  snails,  various  traps,  cleaning  everything,  etc,  but  these  snails  are  pretty  resilient  and  can  withstand  all  these  things.  Beware  though,  cupramine  is  mildly  toxic  to  ALL  living  things.  Fishes  survive  only  because  they  are  too  big,  and  require  a  larger  dose  than  what  is  recommended  on  the  bottle.  It  will  surely  ruin  any  eggs  or  fry  in  the  tank,  and  shrimp  too.  Even  smaller  fishes  are  at  risk.

Freestyler24  wrote  (View  Post):                

Thats  a  trumpet  snail.  Its  really  good  in  small  numbers  but  it  doesn't  take  long  for  it  to  grow  out  of  control  which  Im  sure  you  know  all  too  well.  Trouble  with  this  snail  is  that  it  is  a  livebearing  snail,  i.e.  it  births  full  formed  tiny  snails  rather  than  lay  eggs  which  take  time  to  develop  into  adults.  Best  course  of  action  for  controlling  these  are  to  reduce  food  and/or  add  snail  predators  like  clown  loaches  and  pea  puffers.                

I  will  get  assassin  sails  once  I  set  up  my  aquarium.  Is  that  the  same  on  your  picture  too?  As  I  stated  before  I  am  new  to  this  hobby  and  cant  really  differentiate  all  the  things  i  see  :p.

What  picture  are  you  talking  about?  Assassin  snails  themselves  can  become  nuisance  too  so  beware  lol,  clown  loaches  are  the  best  predators,  or  any  loach  in  general.
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 3:39 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

yes,  bro,  it  is  completely  nuisance,  They  have  swallowed  angel  eggs  many  times.  planning  for  cupramine  treatment  as  you  said,  but  worried  about  the  bunch  of  tetras.  I  think  I  have  to  separate  tetras  before  treatment  am  I  right?
Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 4:54 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

yes,  bro,  it  is  completely  nuisance,  They  have  swallowed  angel  eggs  many  times.  planning  for  cupramine  treatment  as  you  said,  but  worried  about  the  bunch  of  tetras.  I  think  I  have  to  separate  tetras  before  treatment  am  I  right?                

I  Have  only  Tetras  in  my  tank  and  as  you  said  they  are  not  big  enough  for  chemical  treatment.  So  I  bought  a  separate  tank  for  fishes  until  I  do  a  complete  overhaul  of  the  infected  tank.  I  threw  away  the  sand,  internal  filter,  water  pump  and  other  objects  that  could  have  even  a  small  fragment  of  those  snails  and  treated  the  tank  with  bleach,  then  with  vinegar  finally  with  clean  chlorine-free  water.  Now  I  am  planning  to  set  up  the  tank  with  a  fresh  layer  of  sand  and  add  a  layer  of  Amazon  soil  and  add  plants  (not  seeds)  using  Dry  start  method.  

The  only  question  that  remains  now  is  whether  it  be  worth  using  a  substrate  heating  coil  for  the  longevity  of  the  plants.  But  my  local  aquarist  told  me  that  doesn't  add  any  value  to  small  tank  like  mine  and  it  can,  in  turn,  cause  more  problems.  I  never  thought  aquarium  can  be  soo  fun  and  exciting  with  all  the  research,  landscaping  and  all  that.
Freestyler24
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 5:06 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Best  way  to  rid  of  them  is  cupramine.  There  are  other  ways  such  as  feeding  less,  adding  assassin  snails,  various  traps,  cleaning  everything,  etc,  but  these  snails  are  pretty  resilient  and  can  withstand  all  these  things.  Beware  though,  cupramine  is  mildly  toxic  to  ALL  living  things.  Fishes  survive  only  because  they  are  too  big,  and  require  a  larger  dose  than  what  is  recommended  on  the  bottle.  It  will  surely  ruin  any  eggs  or  fry  in  the  tank,  and  shrimp  too.  Even  smaller  fishes  are  at  risk.

Picture  of  a  snail  that  was  attached  

What  picture  are  you  talking  about?  Assassin  snails  themselves  can  become  nuisance  too  so  beware  lol,  clown  loaches  are  the  best  predators,  or  any  loach  in  general.                

Have  you  tried  goldfish?  Here's  a  youtube  video  link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHPJ3kbK48
 however  it  didnt  work  on  mine.  maybe  its  a  different  kind  of  Goldfish
ashwin1224
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:14 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

a  substrate  heating  coil  for  the  longevity  of  the  plants.                
WHAT?!

That  is  honestly  the  first  time  I've  heard  about  such  a  thing.  And  without  even  googling  it,  I  can  tell  you  to  stay  away  from  it.  As  far  as  I  think,  it  might  be  good  for  a  few  reptiles,  but  thats  about  it.

Maintain  your  temperature  using  water  heaters  and  use  a  thermocol  sheet  underneath  the  tank  to  insulate  it  from  the  bottom  and  prevent  scratches.  You  dont  need  anything  else  to  heat  your  tank.
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2018 6:57 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Picture  of  a  snail  that  was  attached  

Have  you  tried  goldfish?  Here's  a  youtube  video  link:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DLHPJ3kbK48
 however  it  didnt  work  on  mine.  maybe  its  a  different  kind  of  Goldfish                

Thanks  bro  ,even  my  angel  fish  eating  snails  after  crushing  but  I  have  worried  about  the  shell  digestion.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:38 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

Cheering  hi  guys,  good  to  read  about  a  snail  post  after  5K  years.....

If  its  too  many  of  them  snails,  then  redo  the  tank.  buy  plants  from  online  vendor.  do  update  your  location

Drinking
alextvino
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2018 6:47 pm Post subject: Re: Seeds or live plants for planted aquarium? Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Cheering  hi  guys,  good  to  read  about  a  snail  post  after  5K  years.....

If  its  too  many  of  them  snails,  then  redo  the  tank.  buy  plants  from  online  vendor.  do  update  your  location

Drinking                

Thanks,  .mine  was     a  2000  litre  pond   redo  is  very  difficult   Sad
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: