53. Guest
54. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Anubias new leaves turning white ,small
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Anubias new leaves turning white ,small

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Fertilisers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:38 pm Post subject: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Hi  ,  my  name  is  Rinu,
 I  was  using  branded  ferts  until  now  and  all  my  plants  were  growing  relatively  good.  Then  due  to  economical  reasons  i  decided  to  switch  to  diy  ferts.  I  bought  kno3,  monopottassiumphosphate,  mgso4,  ad  also  macro  mix  csmb,  and  fe  dpta  11%,  
 I  was  preparing  solutions  and  dosing  in  following  doses  daily
 N-1-2  ppm  
 K-  1.5-3ppm
 P-  .3-.6  ppm
 Mg  -.2-.4  ppm
 Csm  b  -  .1  ppm  fe
 Fe  dpta  -  .05ppm  
 Now  my  stem  plants  all  are  doing  well  but  my  anubias  new  leaves  are  all  white   ,small  and  bending  downwards.  As  the  deficiency  is  on  new  leaves  i  doubting  micro  nutrients  or  fe.
 I  read   that  csmb  is  edta   Chelated  hence  it  wont  wont  effective  in  aquariums  with  ph  above  6.  Mine  always  in  6.5  -  7  range.  Is  it  because  of  poor  chelation  micro  s  not  available  for  plants  or  am  i  dosing  less.
 Also  i  read  that  small  bended  leaves  can  be  a  symptom  of  calcium  deficiency.  My  water  is  very  soft.
 Ca  -4ppm
 Mg-  8.7ppm
 Total  hardness  -45  ppm
 Gh-  2.5dgh
 I  heard  ca-mg  ratio  should  be  2:1  to  4:1.  My  water  has  reverse  of  it.  Will  that  have  anything  to  do  with  it.earlier  i  was  dosing  branded  ferts  there  might  be  calcium  included  in  it.  So  there  were  no  problems.  Now  since  dosing  diy  there  is  no  calcium  dosed.   But  mg  is  being  dosed.  Will  dosing  mg  with  ca  already  deficient  cause  such  white  new  leaves.
 Now  i  bought  caco3  and  start  ed  dosing  3ppm  weekly  to  increase  calcium.

Anybody?  any  opinions?
Da_vipin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 6:26 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Hi,

Your  dosing  seems  alright.  However  may  be  its  a  typing  error,  that  you  have  mentioned  0.1  ppm  of  CSM+b  daily?  I  would  recommend  a  weekly  target  not  exceeding  0.2  ppm.  Anything  above  that  is  unnecessary  and  even  though  some  may  get  away  without  algae  issues  by  dosing  higher  than  that..

Can  you  show  image  of  these  new  growth?

regards
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:17 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Here  is  the  pictures
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Also  thos  are  new  growth  before  diy  ferts  are  started.they  are  more  robust  and  no  curling.
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2020 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Its  0.1ppm  daily  i  arrived  at  that  dose  from  rotala  butterfly  nutrient  calc.  Now  i  am  confused.
Da_vipin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2020 2:00 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Hi,

Yes  its  seems  magnessium  deficiency.

Target  for  atleast  6ppm  weekly  dosage  of  magnessium
sdsmukherjee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:08 am Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

It  is  not  any  deficiency.  You  have  plenty  magnesium  in  the  water.  Infact  if  your  tap  water  has  around  8  ppm  of  magnesium  then  you  do  not  need  to  dose  at  all.  You  have  very  soft  water,  you  are  lucky,  most  people  in  India  suffer  with  hard  water.  In  Rotala  butterfly,  you  surely  looked  for  EI  dosing.  EI  dosing  in  softwater  can  be  disastrous.  Some  people  get  away  with  it  but  forums  are  filled  with  horror  stories  of  leaf  curling  and  bending  with  EI.  Specially  in  low  pH  (softwater),  micro  nutrients  can  become  quickly  toxic  and  resullts  in  such  twisting  and  discoloration.  Some  people  don't  believe  it  because  they  never  face  it.  No  one  known  how  all  the  different  anions  and  cations  inhibit  each  other's  uptake  at  certain  concentrations.  Some  just  get  away  with  whatever  they  dose.  Most  don't.
 I  would  suggest  to  immediately  stop  dosing  and  do  large  water  changes.  Tropica  and  ADA  adds  about  0.05  (sorry  I  mistyped  it  before  as  0.5)  and  0.01  ppm  Fe  respectively  every  week.  You  are  adding  0.1  everyday.  Unless  you  can  change  water  2  times  a  week,  do  not  do  that.  In  Rotalabutterfly  search  for  the  composition  of  the  Tropica  ferts,  design  your  dosing  accordingly.  But  tropica  adds  little  potassium,  so  you  can  increase  the  potassium  with  a  bit  of  K2SO4.  Let  us  know  how  it  goes.  Cheers!

Last edited by sdsmukherjee on Fri Jun 26, 2020 1:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
sdsmukherjee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2020 12:12 am Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Also  I  forgot  to  address  calcium  issue.Yes  your  calcium  is  low  but  it  doesn't  matter.  All  those  4:1  ratio  stories  are  irrelevant.  You  just  have  to  have  enough  calcium  in  the  tank.  Otherwise  when  you  were  using  branded  ferts,  you  should  have  seen  similar  symptoms.  but  you  didn't.  Then  also  you  had  4  ppm  calcium.  You  could  add  8  ppm  more,  but  I  doubt  it  is  of  any  use.
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:39 am Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  observation..  i  stopped  dosing  traces  last  3-4  days  now.  only  dosing  .05ppm  fe  only.  Anubias  new  leaves  are  not  bending  any  more.  Colouration  can  be  seen  once  its  opened  up.  lets  see  if  there  is  any  improvement.
 I  performed  large  water  change  this  week.  your  observation  seems  to  be  spot  on.
 This  week  on  wards  going  to  dose  .02  trace  and  .02  fe  daily  see  what  happens.
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

I  also  done  some  research  about  branded  ferts  recommended  weekly  dosage  some  from  rotala  butterfly  and  some  directly  from  Their  respective  sites.  I  created  some  charts  for  comparison.
sdsmukherjee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

1.  A  full  tank  picture  would  be  useful  in  diagnosis.

2.  You  do  not  need  to  add  extra  Fe.  Trace  is  calculated  on  the  basis  of  Fe.  Plus  you  have  very  softwater,  so  EDTA  chelated  Fe  would  be  quite  stable,  you  do  not  need  DTPA  chelation.   For  now,  do  not  add  more  than  0.02  ppm  traces  daily.  You  can  increase  later  when  you  have  more  growth.I  personally  do  not  like  CSMB,  it  was  not  designed  for  aquarium.  You  can  use  it  for  now.  I  would  suggest  to  get  the  trace  from  a  brand  and  dose  the  macros  DIY.  

3.  What's  your  KH  of  the  tank?

4.  For  macros  dose  around  5-8  ppm  K,  4-5  ppm  nitrate  and  0.3-0.5  ppm  phosphate.  You  do  not  need  to  be  precise.  Just  do  not  severely  overdose  or  underdose.  Also  please  measure  the  calcium  once  in  a  while,  as  you  have  only  4  ppm.  If  you  see  it's  dropping  down  fast,  just  add  a  bit.  30-40%  weekly  water  change  is  must.
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Ok  i  am  dosing  .02  fe  daily  now.lets  see  how  that  goes.  My  macros  are  in  that  range.  Regarding  testing  i  dont  have  any  test  kits.  I  test  my  well  water  once  or  every  other  year.  
 Ca  -  4  ppm  
 Mg  -  8.7ppm
 Total  hardness  -  45ppm
 Also  not  tested  kh  also.
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Here  are  some  pics  of  my  tank  when  i  dosed  aquatic  remedies.  I  dosed  almost  1/3  to  1/2  of  prescribed  dosage  of  10ml/  100l  weekly.  

Dirted  tank  capped  with  msand
 Lights  philips  t  bulb
 3x  10w  6hrs
 Ferts
 Aquatic  remedies  macro,  micro,  pottasium  calcium  mix  weekly  dosing  3-5mls
 After  wc.
 Diy  co2
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Pics  before
Rinu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:00 pm Post subject: Re: Anubias new leaves turning white ,small Reply with quote

Pics  after  diy  dosing
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Macro and Micro Fertilisers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: