95. Guest
96. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,320

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - guppy for malaria control
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

guppy for malaria control
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Bearers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 9:18 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

mosquito  larvae  is  edible  to  all  fish  -  native  or  alien!
 Why  introduce  something  alien?  Why  not  do  something  for  the  Indian  native  fish?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gopiqpp
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 12:20 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yes,  Nauzer,  I  agree.  Gambusia,  etc  might  be  very  good  at  larval  control  but  they  also  cause  disruption  to  the  native  fauna.  They  not  only  eat  mosquito  larvae  but  also  decimate  other  organisms  in  the  food  chain  on  which  the  local  fish  usually  feed.  This  has  been  proved  time  and  again  in  different  places  at  various  times.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pdg50
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 9:37 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

any  more  information  about  danios?  can  they  be  aquacultured  ?  has  anyone  done  some  work?  i  wish  to  pursue  this  further  as  basic  idea  of  using  local  things  is  apealing
 dr.gokhale
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2006 5:06 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
any  more  information  about  danios?  can  they  be  aquacultured                  

why  not!

Quote:                
i  wish  to  pursue  this  further  as  basic  idea  of  using  local  things  is  apealing                

dr.gokhale,
 I  seriously  respect  your  concern  for  malaria  control  as  this  is  one  disease  which  is  alone  responsible  for  taking  many  human  lives  all  around  the  globe!
 Infact,  people  die  of  mosquito  stings  more  than  all  other  animals  put  to-gether!
 Thanks  to  Iggy,  I  started  exploring  the  topic  and  found  that  there  were  many  professors  who  have  actually  done  their  research  work  (PHD)  on  malaria  control  with  indigenous  methods  or  studying  native  fish!
 I  actually  started  exploring  possibilities  to  study  the  natural  habitat  of  the  Gujarati  A.  dispar  which  Dr.  Herman  wants  to  acquire  for  a  research  project.  My  quest  for  the  fish  (which  is  still  going  on)  has  led  me  to  explore  many  habitats  (mostly  brackish)  and  meet  many  people  or  talk  to  them  on  the  line  to  at-least  get  a  clue  of  the  fish  â€“  till  date  I’m  sorry  to  state  that  the  fish  has  been  illusive  and  what  we  normally  come  across  even  in  brackish  water  is  gambusia,  guppies,  top  minnows  etc

Quote:                
Yes,  Nauzer,  I  agree.  Gambusia,  etc  might  be  very  good  at  larval  control  but  they  also  cause  disruption  to  the  native  fauna.                

well  doc,  it  is  equally  alarming  WRT  guppy  as  the  fish  affects  the  natural  habitats  not  in  quality  but  in  quantity  -  the  magnitude  of  the  fast  multiplying  guppies  very  soon  fills  up  the  natural  water  bodies  and  leaves  little  for  the  native  fish  to  feed  on!  Moreover  natural  water  bodies  are  very  sensitive  to  invasion  of  alien  life  forms  and  the  whole  ecology  can  succumb  to  a  catastrophe  sooner  than  we  even  realize!  (no  matter  how  small  or  big  an  invader  is)
 Dr.  Gokhale,
 the  sad  part  of  the  story  is  -  the  damage  is  already  done  -  I  wish  there  were  more  people  like  you  in  the  ministry  of  environment,  fisheries  etc.
 let’s  take  up  an  example  of  the  â€˜Kakaria  Lake’  in  Ahmedabad  â€“  It  has  become  an  alien  lake  â€“  a  new  ecology  all-to-gather  â€“  the  guppies  survive  on  the  mosquito  larvae  and  the  tilapia  survive  on  the  guppies!  A  lot  of  people  go  to  the  lake  and  feed  the  fish  in-fact,  there  are  vendors  sitting  besides  the  lake  selling  food  packets  of  â€˜atta’  (wheat  dough)  which  people  buy  to  feed  the  fish  and  think  they  are  doing  a  pious  deed  by  feeding  â€˜atta’  to  the  tilapia  (little  do  they  know  how  adversely  the  fish  that  they  are  feeding  has  affected  the  ecology  of  their  lake).
 Sadly,  Ahmedabad  is  just  some  kilometers  away  from  'Gandhinagar'  -capital  of  the  state  and  the  very  famous  zoo  and  public  aquarium  of  Ahmedabad  is  just  besides  the  lake   Crying or Very sad

Last edited by aquascapes on Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
pdg50
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 10:09 am Post subject: Re: guppy for malaria control Reply with quote

i  have  started  breeding  guppies  in  cement  tank  and  i  have  started  releasing  it  in  ONLY  CONFINED  PONDS  with  no  outlet  to  nearby  river  Subarnarekha.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 22, 2006 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: guppy for malaria control Reply with quote

Hey  Doctor!
 so  nice  to  hear  from  you  after  a  looong  time!
 well  -  from  what  I  understand  of  confined  pond  is  that:
 #  1  :  it  should  not  be  a  natural  water  body
 #  2  :  it  should  be  man  made  and  with  no  connection  to  any  natural  water  body
 #  3  :  it  should  not  be  drained  into  any  other  natural  water  body
 #  4  :  it  should  not  be  previously  populated  with  fish
 If  the  above  conditions  are  fulfilled  you  can  go  ahead  and  put  in  any  fish  you  want!
scorpiopereira
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:06 pm Post subject: Re: guppy for malaria control Reply with quote

The  mosquito  control  plan  is  cool.But  what  abt  plan  B  to  control  the  guppies
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 9:01 pm Post subject: Re: guppy for malaria control Reply with quote

Dr.  Gokhale,
 Sometime  back  I  saw  a  programme  on  a  channel  regarding  the  mosquito  control  and  they  were  using  a  different  method  to  control  the  mosquito  population  in  the  larval  stage  -  they  implanted  some  other  insect's  larvae  which  grows  faster  compared  to  the  mosquito  so  can  consume  the  mosquito  larvae  and  this  insect  is  not  harmful  to  the  ecology  or  to  human  beings  and  other  animals  (I  forget  the  name  of  the  insect)
 If  someone  on  this  forum  has  seen  the  programme  and  remembers  the  name  properly  -  see  I'm  very  horrible  with  names  esp.  the  latin  ones!
fishyfish
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2007 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: guppy for malaria control Reply with quote

just  a  question  to  all  the  experts  here  ..you  need  a  species  which  like  guppies  eat  large  amounts  of  larvae  and  show  all  the  qualities  of  a  native  fish.Confused  ....so  can't  ya  cross  breed  them  or  just  keep  he  guppies  in  a  cement  tank  which  is  not  covered  with  a  net  or  anything  along  with  some  native  fishes.they  will  learn  how  to  live  without  you  feeding  them  (i  kept  guppies,mollies  and  tilaphia  together  for  3  years  like  this  in  my  cement  tank  with  a  number  of  rocks,bottles  etc  and  they  seemed  to  flourish..i  didn't  even  look  at  that  tank  for  months  at  a  stretch...  )  ..will  something  like  this  work  in  ponds??????  just  a  thought  that  occured  to  little  amatuer  me   Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Bearers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: