105. Guest
106. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,460

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - pictures of emperor tetras
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

pictures of emperor tetras

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 10:32 pm Post subject: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

hi  all  
             posting  pictures  of  my  emperor  tetra  which  i  bought  them  recently.  comments  on  their  habitat  ,  food,  compatibility,  etc  from  all  who  have  kept  them  and  heard  of  them  too,  thanks  in  advance
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 2:13 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Very  easy  to  maintain  and  breed.  Neutral,  moderately  soft  water  will  do,  although  soft  water  will  yield  better  spawns.  They'll  eat  anything  and  can  be  spawned  in  a  continuous  setup,  just  fill  the  tank  with  java  moss  and  enough  fry  will  survive  to  keep  the  colony  going.

Easy  to  sex,  too.  Males  have  blue  eyes,  females  green.
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:49 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Compatibility:  Pretty  calm  species.  

Can  get  along  well  with  most  other  tetras  and  ruby  barbs.  I  have  my  Purple  Emperors  with  Neons,  Rummynose,  Rosy,  Lemon,  Black  Phantom,  Veil-tail  Serpae  Tetras,  Hockey  Sticks,  Leopard  Danios  &  Black  Ruby  Barbs.

Feed  them  micropellets,  flakes  and  dried  worms.

Mine  are  actually  in  hard  water.  Though  most  of  the  tetras  fare  better  in  soft  water.  A  planted  tank  and  a  minimum  of  6  emperors  will  be  fine.  The  more  the  merrier.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 9:26 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Congo

U  can  keep  Guppy,  Molie,  Platy,  Rosy  Barb,  Pearl  Goramin  also...  Thumb Up   Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:28 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Hi  Congo,

I  had  once  written  to  Javier  ,  who  had  collected  this  fish  from  the  wild,  as  per  Javier...

Quote:                
I  have  captured  some  specimens  at  the  end  of  the  last  year  in  the  Atrato  river  basin  in  small  streams  with  very  clear  waters,  rocky  and  sandy
 bottoms,  and  with  tropical  rainforest  sorrounding  the  water.  I  hope
 that  this  indormation  will  be  ussefull,

Javier  Maldonado                

Regards

Sujoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 8:19 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Hi  

Very  clear  water  and  sandy  or  rocky  bottom  I  can  arrange.
 What  about  the  surrounding  tropical  forests?  Are  they  necessary?  

<laughing>  Just  kidding.  

Deepesh
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

hi  all  
 thanks  to  all  of  u  for  your  suggestion.  was  planning  to  feed  live  feeds  along  with  routine  pellets  and  flakes.  nearest  and  zero  cost  will  be  earthworms  in  slices  or  small  peices.  have  any  of  u  tried  to  feed  earthworms  for  aquarium  fishes.  tubfix  are  good  but  they  r  difficult  to  maintain  and  culturing  blood  worms  arent  that  easy.  any  of  your  experience  with  earthworms  as  diet  for  aquarium  fishes  esp  with  tetras.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 10:46 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Most  tetras  are  too  small  to  eat  earthworms.  You'll  have  to  mince  them  up.  Better  to  feed  freeze  dried  tubifex.
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:13 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

yes  rahul  
   iam  aware  of  the  fact  that  tetras  are  too  small  for  earthworms.  crushing  them  is  going  to  release  blood  and  contaminate  the  water  so  i  thought  of  slicing  them  (sounds  cruel)  live  rahul  live.  no  dried  stuff.i  want  my  fish  to  knock  on  my  head  and  ask"  where  is  my  portion  for  today".   ha  ha..  will  try  tubifix  also
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:40 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

Guna,
   Why  dont  you  try  culturing  Shrimps  and  of  different  varities,  tubifix  /  earthworms   to  me  is  a  pain  to  culture  and  clean.  Smaller  Shrimps  on  the  other  hand  for  tetra's  which  are  small  in  size  are  real  good  food.  At  least  my  rainbows  and  Phantoms  just  like  them  a  lot  when  fed  occationally.  And  belive  me  my  Aussi  bosemanian  rainbows  are  like  4  inches  feeding  on  tetra  bits   and  shrimps.

Also  Eel  culturing.  Though  have  not  tried  out  Eeel  culturing  thats  my  next  project  for  fish  food.  May  be  vineger  Eels

Raghu
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

raghu
       enlight  more  on  shrimp  culture  with  available  local  resourse  and  that  will  be  really  great
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 6:13 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

congo  wrote  (View  Post):                
yes  rahul  
   iam  aware  of  the  fact  that  tetras  are  too  small  for  earthworms.  crushing  them  is  going  to  release  blood  and  contaminate  the  water  so  i  thought  of  slicing  them  (sounds  cruel)  live  rahul  live.  no  dried  stuff.i  want  my  fish  to  knock  on  my  head  and  ask"  where  is  my  portion  for  today".  Â ha  ha..  will  try  tubifix  also                

FWIW,  live  food  really  does  not  make  a  difference,  if  you  feed  a  proper  diet.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:24 am Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

congo  wrote  (View  Post):                
raghu
   Â   Â enlight  more  on  shrimp  culture  with  available  local  resourse  and  that  will  be  really  great                

I  have  just  kicked  off  shrimp  culturing,  
 All  i  have  done  is  this.

Just  have  a  water  tub  in  my  terrace  which  stores  close  to  100-120  ltr  and  is  wide  enough  than  aquariums,  I  suppose  its  close  to  4ft  tub.

I  just  have  all  my  mixture  moss  thats  growing  like  crazy  in  my  planted  tank  atleast  a  mug  of  it  taken  on  weekly  water  changes  go  into  my  tub.  I  maintain  the  salinity  with  some  thing  like  less  than  .5  gms  per  ltr  which  is  mixed   with  water  initially  and  added  to  the  main  tub.  I  have  a  small  aeriation  for  the  tub,  And  i  suppose  its  alkaline  water  with  Ph  in  the  vicinity  of  7.5  to  8  never  tested  it  though.  I  have  just  shaded  off  the  tub  .  I  do  not  add  any  food  to  it,  Just  green  water  may  be  50ml  3  days  once.   And  occationally  pea  (Batani  in  kannada  boiled  and  mashed).  May  be  1  -  2  spoons  of  it.

I  have  had  20  glass  shrimps  initially   in  it  which  multiplied  at  a  super  fast  rate,  And  each  time  i  see  more  shrimp's  eggs  a  couple  of  adults  either  go  to  a  betta  bowl  or  my  aquarium  main  tank  as  food.

Raghu
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 10:50 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

thanks  raghu  for  such  valuable  information.  have  already  ordered  for  two  cement  tubs  each  length  of  two  feet.  will  soon  start  to  culture  shrimps  in  one  of  those  tubs  and  i  will  be  needing   your  step  by  step  guidance  because  i  am  totally  new  to  cement  tubs.thanks  in  advance
   to  rahul
            i  am  be  wrong  but  i  guess  live  food  should  make  diference  and  a  step  ahead  to  dried  or  frozen  foods,  if  given  the  choice.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2007 11:14 pm Post subject: Re: pictures of emperor tetras Reply with quote

There  are  situations  where  live  foods  do  make  a  difference.  For  the  average  hobbyist,  modern  packaged  foods  are  more  than  enough.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: