203. Guest
204. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,835

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Calling IAH members from Kolkata
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Calling IAH members from Kolkata
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Site Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drjaycee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 6:49 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Let  me  at  the  outset  introduce  myself.I  am  Jayanta  Chatterjee,wrong  side  of  50,a  Doctor/Prof   by  profession,  residing  at  Tollygunge(near  Navina)  and  at  present  own  a  consolation  of  an  aquarium  24/12/15  (inches)l/b/h  keeping  angels,clown  loaches  and  sword  tails.
 Substrate:  gravel  only;
 Lighting  :  one  hitachi  2  ft  lamp  on  for  about  10/11  hrs;
 Filtration:  Internal  power  filter;
 Heating  :  100W  Thermostat  heater  set  at  26C
 Have  kept  plants  also  but  no  laterite/Co2/fertilisers  and  hence  plants  just  don't  thrive  Sad  
 Looking  at  the  lovely  pics  of  your  planted  tanks  am  thrilled  and   am  planning  a  planted  4/1.5/2  and  shall  require  advice  from  you  guys  regarding  the  setup.
 As  things  stand  may  not  be  able  to  join  you  this  Sunday  but  shall  try  and  make  at  a  future  date(old  bones  permitting).
 I'll  however  look  forward  to  advice  from  you  .
 Thanks,
 Jayanta
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 7:44 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Hey  Dr  Jayanta,

First  of  all  a  very  warm  welcome  to  IAH,  2nd  try  to  join  the  gang  at  Galif  Street  Haat...  Smile  

So  you  are  planning  to  have  a  4  feet  planted  tank....  Thumb Up   No  problem,  just  go  on,  We,  IAH  members  will  help  you  step  by  step  for  your  dream..  Thumb Up
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:24 am Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Hi  Jayantada,

First  of  all  welcome  to  our  iah  kolkata  family.  We  will  be  very  happy  to  help  you  out.  Pls.  go  through  all  the  forum,  you  can  have  all  yur  answers  regarding  planted  tanks  and  all  other  tanks.

If  you  nee  any  help  from  us  then  just  give  a  call  or  send  a  PM.  

regards
drjaycee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 6:03 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Thanks  to  both  Rocky  and  Amitava.  Am  going  through  the  forum  contents  and  shall  definitely  come  to  you  for  advice/suggestions  .
 It's  heartening  to  have  such  a  helpful  community  around  ready  to  offer  a  willing  and  helping  hand  .
 Keep  up  the  good  work  .   Thumb Up  

With  best  wishes,
 jayanta
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:42 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Jayanta  Da,

It  will  be  our  great  pleasure  to  help  you...  Smile   &  We  hope  you  will  also  help  us  to  treat  our  sick  fishes  with  your  skills....  ROFL   Chuckle   ROFL  

I  hope  you  you  like  it...  Drinking  
 Cheers...  Drinking
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:35 pm Post subject: Photo of the meeting @ Galif Street on Sunday 11/03/2007 Reply with quote

Dear  Amitav  Da,  Rana,  Aditi,  David  &  other  non  IAH  members,

Its  was  really  good  to  meet  you  today  morning  at  Galif  Street  haat...  &  I  hope  we  will  continue  this  meeting  again  &  again...  

So  for  this  memorable  day  I  am  attaching  a  picture  of  us,  which  I  have  clicked  this  morning  and  I  hope  you  all  guys  like  it..

Thanks  &  Best  Wishes

Rocky  @  98315  55411
amitava
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:12 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Hi  Rocky,

I  cann't  see  th  pics.
elaine
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:36 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

I  also  can't  see  the  picture.  It  is  very  nice  for  you  to  be  able  to  meet  regularly  Clapping  ,  I  feel  so  jealous  of  you  being  able  to  meet  other  fishy  folk  in  your  home  town

Best  of  luck  IAH  Kolkata   Thumb Up  
 Elaine
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Sorry  to  say  Amit  da  &  Elaine  ...  I  am  still  trying  to  upload  the  picture  from  last  2-3  hours...  but  I  dont  know  why  its  not  being  uploaded...  Please  help..  Sad
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 2:56 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Elaine

Please!  please!  please!  dont  be  so  jealous,  Whenever  I  will  be  comming  to  your  place,  definitely  I  will  meet  you...  Thumb Up

One  more  thing  I  would  like  to  say  to  all  IAH  members,  with  the  help  of  this  amazing  community  we  all  are  always  connected  with  each  others....  Thumbs Up  

Cheers........  Drinking

Last edited by DJ_Rocky on Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 3:20 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

I  owe  you  an  aplogy  guys.  I  am  alone  at  home  with  my  3  year  old  daughter,  trying  to  take  care  of  her  as  my  wife  is  travelling  and  parents  are  not  at  home.  Couldn't  manage  to  get  her  to  eat  breakfast  by  nine  for  me  to  make  it  today.  Hope  this  meeting  happens  soon  again.  I  hope  Rana  explained  my  situation.

Welcome  to  IAH  Dr  Chatterjee.  By  the  way,  we  aren't  too  far  from  each  other  (about  3  km).  I  think  your  failure  with  plants  in  the  past  is  to  do  with  poor  lighting.  We  have  all  gone  through  this  at  some  point  of  our  life.  For  decent  growth  of  green  amazon  swords  in  the  tank  you  don't  need  laterite  or  co2  injection  and  fertiliser  produced  by  the  fish  is  enough.  One  mistake  we  all  make  initially  is  to  listen  to  the  LFS  guy  who  sells  the  plant  telling  you  that  a  couple  of  hours  of  ordinary  room  light  is  enough.  That  is  a  blatant  lie.   What  is  the  power  of  your  Hitachi  bulb?  Also  taking  the  hood  off  helps,  as  some  of  the  co2  from  the  atmosphere  gets  a  chance  to  mix  with  the  water.  One  of  the  problems  with  LFS  gravels  is  that  it  is  difficult  to  keep  plants  rooted  initially.  

I  think  the  worst  problem  we  have  is  the  zero  availability  of  quality  plants  on  demand.  Initially  go  for  zero  maintenance  plants  like  anubias.  They  call  it  plastic  plant  that  grows.  It's  really  like  that.  
 Regards
 Sudipto
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 4:25 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

brojo  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  owe  you  an  aplogy  guys.  I  am  alone  at  home  with  my  3  year  old  daughter,  trying  to  take  care  of  her  as  my  wife  is  travelling  and  parents  are  not  at  home.  Couldn't  manage  to  get  her  to  eat  breakfast  by  nine  for  me  to  make  it  today.  Hope  this  meeting  happens  soon  again.  I  hope  Rana  explained  my  situation.

Brojo,
          You  should  take  your  daughter  along.  That  way  everyone  at  home  to  will  be  happy  too.  Here  are  pic's  of  some  cute  regulars  at  our  Sunday  ASK  meetings.  -Nags,  Viveks  and  Suuresh's  daughters.  They  have  brunch  but  its  mostly  junk  food.  Smile  
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/ASK/ASK+2006+Goldfish+Competion+Day0001_8.JPG.html
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/ASK/ASK0001_3.JPG.html
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:59 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Trevor
 My  daughter  not  only  knows  where  Guliff  Street  is  but  also  loves  going  there.  It's  just  that  today  being  alone  I  couldn't  manage  her  morning  routine  things  one  after  the  other  by  9  am  for  "us"  to  be  on  time.  So  we  skipped  it.  Also  when  her  mother  travels  as  she  is  now,  she  throws  a  lot  of  tantrums  around  which  makes  it  difficult  for  me  to  manage.  Guliff  Street  is  a  good  15  km  from  my  house  and  takes  around  40  minutes  one  way  by  car.
 The  pics  are  really  "cool".  I  remember  as  a  child  when  I  wanted  an  aquarium  and  a  dog  my  father  said,  "there  isn't  money  enough  to  feed  the  human  beings  and  you  want  to  feed  fish  and  dogs?  go  study."  Thankfully  that  wasn't  the  end  of  my  hobby.  Children  these  days  get  things  before  they  want  it.  But  anyway,  I  guess  growing  up  with  pets  is  a  good  thing.
 Sudipto
drjaycee
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 7:45 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Brojo,
 the  lamp  wattage  is  20  and  is  kept  on  for  10/11/hrs.
 The  plants  have  taken  root  alright  but  are  stunted  and  I  was  attributing  it  to  N2  deficiency  combined  with  inadequate  lighting.At  the  same  time  there  is  considerable  algae  growth,  though  not  exactly  a  bloom,  so  am  at  wits  end.   Confused  
 Shall  try  out  your  suggestion  about  keeping  the  hood  open.
 Thanks

Hi  Rocky,
 I'd  love  to  treat  your  fishes
 There's  a  saying  in  Bengali  that  boils  down  to-  A  physician  is  worthy  to  be  called  one  only  after  he  has  "killed"  a  hundred  patients.

I  must  confess  that  i've  achieved  the  above  feat  in  humans,  but  am  way   way  short  of   the  number  as  far  as  piscean  patients  go  Wink

I  am  sure  that  ,being  as  helpful  as  you  are,  you'd  help  me  attain  this  magical  feature  in  piscean  patients  also.
 Looking  forward  to  your  whole-hearted  co-operation.  ROFL  

Jokes  apart.
 Would  love  to  see  the  pics  you  took  today.
 with  best  wishes  
 Jayanta
Vidul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:23 pm Post subject: Re: Calling IAH members from Kolkata Reply with quote

Good  show  doc...that  was  nice  Clapping

For  Brojo  :  hey  ..where  in  Tolly  gunge  do  you  stay?  would  love  to  see  your  tank.  I  am  bang  opp  R.C.G.C..
 Need  some  help  with  getting  some  VHO  lights  and  fixtures.  Need  to  know  if  they  are  available  in  Poddar  Court.

Cheers
 Vidul
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Site Chatter All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: