150. Guest
151. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Making a 5 X 1.5 x 1 feet tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Making a 5 X 1.5 x 1 feet tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 11:58 am Post subject: Making a 5 X 1.5 x 1 feet tank Reply with quote

I  am  going  to  try  to  build  a  5  X  1.5  x  1  feet  tank.  I  think  that  for  this  type  of  tank  8  mm  glass  are  ok.  Can  you  please  advise  me  on  that.  I  also  want  to  where  can  i  get  the  slicone  used  to  stick  the  glass  together  (in  bangalore)  and  how  many  tubes  will  i  require  to  build  this  tank  and  what  is  the  approximate  price  of  the  same.
nvenkatramani
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:32 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

HI,  

Couldn't    help  noticing  that  the  Height  is  one  feet    and  that  is    quite  less  unless  you  are  planning    to  keep    low  profile  fishes  like  rays  etc.

I  will  go  for    18"  height    minimum  ,  you  will    appreciate  the  extra  viewing  area  ,  and  the  fishes  get  a  great  er  volume  of  water  for  the  same    footprint..

But  these  are  my  thoughts  .  Check  out  the  GARF    website    for  a  glass  thickness  calculator.  Pick  up  GE  silicone    from  the  hardware  shop  .  

Narendra
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:02 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Very Happy  hello  shridhar!8mm  glass  will  do  fine  for  the  dimensions  you  mentioned,so  long  as  you  use  glass  beading  along  the  top  edges  of  the  front  and  back  glass.(infact  with  1  foot  height  even  this  glass  reinforcement  may  not  be  necessary,but  just  to  be  safe!)
             Request  your  glass  dealer  to  cut  two  long  strips  of  glass  8mm,3  inches  width,5  ft  lenght.paste  these  strips  flat  on  top  of  the  front/back  glasses(get  the  idea?)
             Carefully  done,one  tube  is  enough(but  if  you  do  it  messily  like  me,one  and  half  tubes  required!)you  will  get  the  tubes  from  your  Local  fish  shop,ask  for  Wacker,or  Dow  Corning.(though  he  will  take  a  slightly  higher  price..)
               All  the  best!  Smile
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:05 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Narendra,

The  main  reason  why  I  choose  1  feet  height  is  because  I  am  going  to  place  this  tank  on  the  bottom  of  my  stand  which  is  already  holding  a  5  x  2  x  2  feet  tank.  I  have  a  gap  of  only  2  feet.  What  I  will  do  is  increase  the  height  to  15  inches  rather  than  12  inches.    Can  someone  suggest  whether  it  is  better  to  make  a  tank  alone  or  get  it  from  LFS.  These  LFS  guys  are  charging  like  anything.  I  enquired  and  they  told  me  that  it  will  cost  5000  for  the  tank  itself.  I  do  not  think  that  price  is  a  reasonable  one.  That  is  why  I  decided  that  I  will  make  one  myself.  Is  it  that  difficult  to  build  a  tank  on  your  own.  Can  someone  please  give  me  a  few  tips  which  needs  to  be  taken  care  while  building  one.
nvenkatramani
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  ,  now  i  understand.  But  why  not  try  to  use  the  same  footprint  of  5X2  and  keep  the  height  as  15"  .  It  is  indeed  nice  to  have  the  space  and  the  water  for  keeping  5  feet  tanks  so  why  compromise  on  the  volume  .  The  additional  width      will  help  you    for  almost  all  fishes  .  

The  price  quoted  is  very  high  in  my  opinion  .    

If  you  are  trying  to  build  your  first  tank  it  is  better  to  take  the  help  of  someone  experienced.  I  am  sure  there  are  some  real  experts  in  bangalore  who  are  members  on  this  forum  who  can  guide  you.  

narendra
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:17 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Very Happy  it  should  not  cost  you  more  than  1800.(i  guess  the  cost  of  8mm  glass  is  Rs.55  per  square  foot?)....get  someone  to  help  you  to  make  this  tank!one  pair  of  hands  is  just  not  enough.Care  to  be  taken  is  that  the  edges  recieving  the  silicon  should  be  wiped  clean,preferably  with  a  good  solvent  to  remove  any  traces  of  oil,dirt.Another  point  to  note  is  all  the  vertical  glass  sheets  should  be  placed  on  TOP  of  the  base  glass.Hence  ask  the  glass  dealer  to  cut  the  base  glass  in  the  following  dimensions:60  in  x  (18in  +16mm)  to  accomodate  the  8mm  each  for  the  front  and  back  panes.
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:19 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Murthy,

I  did  not  understand  why  we  need  to  do  this.  I  think  i  have  not  got  your  idea.  Are  you  suggesting  that  i  put  a  small  joint  between  then  front  and  the  back  glass  (just  to  be  safe  so  that  the  water  pressure  will  not  effect  the  glass).  Because  in  my  other  tank  there  are  two  glass  pices  joining  the  front  and  the  back  glass  at  two  differnt  places.
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Have  posted  the  pic  in  the  gallery.....option  of  using  cross  strips  is  also  there,but  it  gets  in  the  way  of  catching  fish,and  maintainance.This  beading  also  prevents  bulging  of  the  tank,looks  neater!
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 1:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

OK,  I  got  the  idea  now.  I  think  this  will  also  help  to  prevent  fishes  jumping  out  of  the  tank  because  there  will  be  a  3  inch  projection  towards  the  inner  side.  Thanks  a  lot  for  your  advise  and  tips,  this  is  a  better  idea  than  the  crossstirps  also  because  i  am  planning  this  tank  for  Oscars  (and  they  are  know  to  be  jumpers  sometimes.).  Maybe  i  will  put  this  beading  in  the  side  glass  as  well.  What  do  you  suggest  so  that  i  have  a  protection  on  all  the  sides  of  the  tank.  Is  it  advisable  to  increase  the  width  or  3  inch  is  fine.
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 4:34 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hello  sridhar,what  matters  the  most  is  the  kind  of  fish  that  you  are  going  to  house  in  that  tank,if  it  were  to  house  two  or  three  full  grown  cichlid  like  a  oscar  then  i  think  the  height  would  be  appropriate  as  cichlids  are  know  to  be  bottom  dwellers  and  they  do  not  use  much  of  the  surface  area.  Belting  the  tank  is  another  way  to  reinforce  that  will  help  the  tank  to  not  bulge  out  because  of  the  water  pressure,as  narendra  as  mentioned  belting  the  tank  on  the  front  and  the  back  of  the  tank  would  do  a  lot  of  help.
zap2jai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

A  belted  tank  is  very  much  recommended  if  you  are  going  for  a  5  feet  tank  with  8mm  glass.  This  is  only  as  a  precaution.  And  if  you  opt  for  a  belted  tank  pls  make  sure  to  have  2  belts  on  top  and  3  in  the  bottom.  This  will  give  the  tank  a  lot  of  strenght  and  is  always  good  if  you  intend  to  move  the  tank.  
 And  regarding  building  a  tank,  if  it  is  your  first  attempt  I  would  recommend  you  to  have  a  experienced  peron  with  you  during  the  gluing  process.
 It  is  a  two  person  job  if  you  are  not  a  professional  and  doing  a  DYI.  The  main  job  of  the  other  person  is  to  hold  the  glass  in  place  when  you  are  applying  the  silicone  to  the  corner.  Use  a  corner  of  the  room  to  start  so  that  you  could  use  the  wall  as  a  support.  This  will  help  you  a  lot  while  the  tank  is  kept  for  drying.  use  a  thick  thread  to  hold  the  corners  together  and  tie  it  tightly  and  dont  remove  it  till  the  silicone  is  set.  Leave  the  tank  to  set  for  atleat  24hrs.  And  one  more  important  thing,  always  go  for  a  higher  grade  silicone  which  is  available  in  big  hardware  shops  in  bangalore  which  would  be  around  250  bugs  and  the  thickness  of  the  glass  is  mentioned  in  some  tubes  and  go  for  the  best  glass.
 All  the  best
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 5:48 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Vijay,

Can  you  please  tell  me  some  of  the  shops  where  i  can  get  the  high  grade  silicone  mentioned  by  you.
zap2jai
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:13 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Sorry  that  I  dont  know  the  names  of  the  Hardware  shops.  But  you  get  it  in  most  of  the  hardware  shops  and  in  glass  shops  and  but  Avenue  road  is  the  best  place.  

I  will  just  check  on  the  same  and  give  you  the  address  tomorrow.
 Could  you  tell  me  which  part  of  bangalore  do  you  stay????

But  make  sure  to  check  whether  the  thickness  of  the  glass  is  mentioned  on  the  tube  and  the  price  is  around  250.
 You  could  also  ask  an  LFS  guy  to  get  it  for  you.  This  will  save  a  lot  of  problems.
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 6:50 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

THanks  Vijay,

I  stay  in  B.T.M  Layout.  My  house  is  near  to  Adip  house  but  now  adip  is  shifting  to  another  house  near  IIM.  THese  LFS  gyus  charge  a  hell  lot    of  money.  For  a  5  X  1.5  X  1.25  feet  tank  alone  they  were  charging  near  5000  rs.  That  is  why  i  decided  why  not  build  a  own  tank.  I  would  be  helpful  if  you  can  please  tell  me  the  names  and  address  of  the  hardware  shop  (never  mind  where  it  is..  i  mean  need  not  be  near  to  my  place).  What  i  understood  is  that  the  silicone  differs  for  the  thickness  of  the  glass.  I  am  going  for  a  8  mm  glass  for  this  tank.  I  might  sometime  also  decrease  the  length  of  the  tank  from  5  feet  to  4  feet.  But  that  depends  on  the  approval  i  get  from  my  home  minister.    Very Happy
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 27, 2004 7:15 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Sridhar,
 You  can  go  for  a  8mm,  5  ft  tank.    But  provided  with  belting  on  the  top  and  at  the  bottom.    I  would  suggest  you  a  10mm  glass  at  the  bottom  and  the  rest  to  be  8mm  for  extra  safety  because  it  won't  cost  much  for  the  bottom  alone.    While  making,  take  utmost  care  on  alignment.    All  the  best.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: