146. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,746

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Muthu Marine Setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Muthu Marine Setup
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:22 pm Post subject: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  all,  first  i  thank  IAH  inspired  me  to  dive  into  Marine  setup

After  reading  the  forums  from  IAH  and  other  site  for  a  month  I  decided  to  make  my  dream  Marine  Tank.

Here  is  the  details  of  my  tank  and  equipments  used,  I  brought  all  my  equipments  from  Chennai  as  its  very  cheep  than  in  Bangalore.

Tank  Size  Â 
 39  X  18  X  21  inches

Tank  Cost  â€“   (10mm  Glass)
 Tank  Stand  â€“  (Designed  by  me  &  Fabricated  at  local)
 Tube  3  nos  -   (1  white-14000k,  1  Actinic  blue  Mozoo  and  1  Pink  all  3  feet  30  watt  "T8")
 Electronic  Ballast  (Tian  Niao)  3  nos  
 Skimmer  (Weipro  SA-2012)  
 Submersible  pump  for  skimmer  1000l/hr  22W  
 External  filter  (SunSun  HW303B  with  UV)  1400l/hr  35W  
 Power  Head  Dymax  900l/hr  15  W  and  1800l/hr  30W
 Salt  6  Kgs
 Coral  sand  25kgs  
 Test  kit  PH  and  Nitrate  
 Base  rock  10  Kgs  
 Live  rock  30  Kgs  
 Water  200  Lts  (20  lts  Bottle  water)  

I  started  my  tank  setup  on  18th  March  had  mixed  the  salt  of  6  kgs  and  switched  ON  the  power  head  and  left  the  tank  for  a  week.

I  received  my  first  batch  of  10  Kg  Base  rock  and  10  Kg  of  LR  on  25th  March  morning  9:00  am

It  took  almost  4  hrs  to  clean  all  LR  as  it  had  lot  of  decay  and  smelly  I  removed  all  black  things  Decayed  which  was  in  holes  of  LR  and  placed  in  the  tank  on  the  base  rock  and  switched  ON  the  Skimmer  and  External  filter  and  left  it  run,  as  I  saw  10  Kg  LR  is  not  at  all  sufficient  again  I  orded  20  Kg  of  LR  and  I  got  it  on  2nd  Apr,  I  removed  all  dirt  on  it  as  this  batch  did  not  had  much  decay  it  tool  less  time  but  I  removed  the  first  batch  of  LR  to  clean  it  as  my  tank  was  smelling  a  lot  and  again  removed  some  of  the  decayed  once  and  placed  it  to  my  tank,  Initally  for  3  days  I  did  not  switch  ON  the  lights,  switched  ON  one  light  for  4  days  and  all  3  after  10  days  of  the  setup.

PH  and  NO3  values

PH  8.8  and  NO3-0  on  25th  March
 PH  8.1  and  NO3  20  mg/L  on  3rd  Apr
 PH  8.1  and  NO3  25mg/l  on  15th  Apr
 PH  8.1  and  NO3  25mg/l  on  22nd  Apr
 PH  8.1  and  NO3  10mg/l  on  29th  Apr

At  presently  I  have  2  Hermit  Crabs  and  1  Carrot  Anemone  and  1  Bubble  tip  Anemone  which  are  doing  fine,  but  I  am  not  feeding  them  any  thing

I  will  be  posting  my  tank  image  at  the  earliest..!

Last edited by Muthu_Blr on Fri May 04, 2007 12:34 am; edited 1 time in total
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:39 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Muthu,
 Welcome  to  IAH!

You  should  not  have  put  in  the  Anemone's  this  soon.  Usually  people  wait  atleast  6-8  months  for  the  tank  to  mature.

Also  do  not  add  anything  else  till  ammonia,  nitrite  and  nitrate  are  0
 Nitrate  below  20  PPM  may  be  okay.

Your  PH  is  kind  off  low.

Rahul
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2007 8:41 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Muthu  and  Welcome  to  IAH!!

Nice  to  see  another  entry  to  the  marine  side!!
 Looks  like  you  got  yourself  a  great  deal  on  the  items,  but  posting  prices  isn't   allowed  on  the  forums.

Setup  seems  pretty  good,  lots  of  circulation,  decent  enough  lighting.  I  would  return  the  anemones  though.  Anemones  require  a  well  established  tank  with  pristine  water.
 Use  a  brush  and  scrub  the  decaying  parts  of  the  LR  off  as  often  as  possible,  and  wash  them  off  (with  freshwater  if  you  want).  That  way,  your  water  doesn't  go  foul.
 What  kind  of  water  are  you  using  and  what  salt  mix?
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 2:24 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hello  Muthu,

Welcome  to  salt  addiction.  Very Happy  

I  agree  with  Rahul  &  Pradeep,  Anemones  requires  well  established  tank  &  mature  mater.  Your  pH  level  is  also  lower  than  standard  marine  pH.

Please  let  us  know  about  the  salt  mix  &  test  kit  you  are  using.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:17 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Thanks  Rahul,  Pradeep,  Rocky  for  sharing  experince..

Yes  i  should  not  had  Anemones  now,  I  am  sure  i  will  handle  them  Carefully.

@  Pradeep

I  am  using  Mozoo  Coral  Reef  salt,  i  used  6  kgs  for  180  lts  Water

Water  i  use  is  the  normal  Canwater  which  we  get  for  drinking  at  offices.

At  persently  i  have  PH  and  NO3  test  kit  of  brand  PRODAC

Guys  I  have  few  doubts  please  help..

Can  i  use  the  Cooled  Solar  heated  water  as  a  top  off  water  in  tank  (The  water  is  tap  water).

Should  i  keep  the  equipments  running  at  night  as  well  at  presently  i  switch  OFF  at  10:00  PM  and  switch  ON  at  8  AM.  

I  need  a  timer  any  idea  where  to  get  in  Bangalore  which  is  Specific  to  our  need.

Should  i  invest  on  test  kit  which  will  be  more  helpfull  ??

This  week  end  i  am  planned  to  add  some  water  in  tank  as  the  water  level  in  my  tank  is  2  inch  low  to  the  level  i  started,  should  i  need  to  add  Salt  water  mix  in  order  to  increase  the  PH  as  it  is  8.1  at  present

Regards

Muthu
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:40 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hey  Muthu,
 welcome  aboard!  
 First  let  me  compliment  you  on  a  dedicated  beginning  -  Keep  up  the  good  work!

Quote:                
Tube  3  nos  -   (1  white-14000k,  1  Actinic  blue  Mozoo  and  1  Pink  all  3  feet  30  watt  "T8")                  

I  would  suggest  you  to  replace  the  pink  tube  for  any  other  tube  with  a  color  temp.  of  6500*K  or  above  (I  doubt  that  the  light  that  you  mention  will  be  14000*K  because  in  that  spectrum  the  generated  color  is  bluish  rather  than  whitish)

Quote:                
External  filter  (SunSun  HW303B  with  UV)  1400l/hr  35W                

actually  an  over  kill!

Quote:                
PH  8.1  and  NO3  10mg/l  on  29th  Apr                  

good  but  you  will  get  higher  readings  on  your  nitrates  once  the  mechanical  filter  media  in  your  external  filter  matures  into  a  bio-filter  so  maintain  the  filter  on  a  reguar  basis.
 WRT  the  pH  IMO  it  is  best  left  as  it  is  if  your  tank  inhabitants  dont  look  stressed  because  an  abrupt  alteration  can  stress  the  inhabitants  more  than  a  lesser  degree  of  pH.  IMO  you  should  keep  monitoring  the  pH  and  only  if  you  find  a  drastic  fall  in  the  readings  should  you  be  concerned.  A  fall  in  a  0.1*  can  be  buffered  by  your  additives  but  dont  rush  it!

Quote:                
At  presently  I  have  2  Hermit  Crabs  and  1  Carrot  Anemone  and  1  Bubble  tip  Anemone  which  are  doing  fine,  but  I  am  not  feeding  them  any  thing                

Actually  when  people  set  up  their  reef  tank  (or  similar  systems  with  LR  and  inverts)  one  of  the  first  life  that  is  ever  thought  of  is  the  cleaning  crew!  (turbos,  cleaner  shrimps  etc)  later  you  could  upgrade  to  a  damsel  or  if  there  is  an  algae  infestation  (which  is  inevitable  in  a  new  system  with  wrong  lights)  you  could  probably  think  of  tangs  and  surgeons  and  later  on  with  some  harder  corals  like  zoanthids  and  mushrooms  and  last  anemones!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Muthu_Blr  wrote  (View  Post):                

Can  i  use  the  Cooled  Solar  heated  water  as  a  top  off  water  in  tank  (The  water  is  tap  water).

Why  not  go  with  the  canned  water  itself?  If  its  available  and  you  can  afford  it,  stick  with  it.   Else  use  tap  water  (  Cauvery)  or  RO  water.
 If  the  tubes  in  the  solar  heater  are  made  of  copper,  don't  let  it  near  your  tank.

Quote:                

Should  i  keep  the  equipments  running  at  night  as  well  at  presently  i  switch  OFF  at  10:00  PM  and  switch  ON  at  8  AM.  

Leave  the  skimmer,  powerheads  and  filter  on  24x7.  Never  turn  them  off  unless  for  cleaning.

Quote:                

I  need  a  timer  any  idea  where  to  get  in  Bangalore  which  is  Specific  to  our  need.

K.T  Street

Quote:                

Should  i  invest  on  test  kit  which  will  be  more  helpfull  ??

Nope  ,  after  your  tank  is  cycled,  you  only  need  to  check  NO3.

Quote:                

This  week  end  i  am  planned  to  add  some  water  in  tank  as  the  water  level  in  my  tank  is  2  inch  low  to  the  level  i  started,  should  i  need  to  add  Salt  water  mix  in  order  to  increase  the  PH  as  it  is  8.1  at  present

No.  Adding   salt  water  mix  will  increase  the  salinity.  You  have  to  topoff  with  freshwater.
 Your  tank  salinity  is  the  one  thing  you  have  to  keep  a  check  on  all  the  time.
 I  noticed  you  haven't  included  a  salinity  meter  in  the  list  of  items  you  got.
 Please  tell  me  you  didn't  start  up  a  marine  tank  without  a  salinity  meter.
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 04, 2007 11:42 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Thank  aquascapes  and  Pradeep

@  aquascapes  comment..

Light,  Sure  i  plan  to  change  it..

External  filter,  yes  i  am  planning  to  have  one  set  of  media  kept  ready  and  also  i  clean  the  external  filter  once  in  20  days.

On  to  tank  Inhabitances  sure  i  will  follow  your  advice.

@  Pradeep

Water,  Sure  i  will  go  with  canned  water  it  self,  not  take  any  risk,  also  planning  to  keep  one  20lts  canned  water  in  stock

On  to  the  Equipments  mentioned  24/7  its  a  big  suck  of  power  100W,  so  i  plan  to  design  my  timer  soon..

Salinity  meter,  I  really  missed  on  my  list  in  Chennai,  getting  it  soon.

KT  street  exact  surrounding   please..,  not  familiar  of  location
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:22 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

My  tank  snap

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/muthu_blr/IMG_4245.JPG.html

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/muthu_blr/IMG_4274.JPG.html
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  am  using  Mozoo  Coral  Reef  salt                

I  will  suggest  you  to  not  using  Mozoo  salt.  

Use  AZOO,  RED  SEA,  PRODAC,  INSTANT  OCEAN  salt  mix.  Thumb Up
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hi  Muthu,
            You  need  to  elevate  the  rocks  from  the  sand,  Use  smaller  base  rock  and  push  it  into  the  sand  so  that  they  are  sturdy,  You  can  place  the  live  rock  on  top  of  the  base  rock.  Dont  lean  it  on  the  back  glass,  Give  some  gap  there.

This  will  give  you  good  water  flow  and  prevent  accumilation  of  debry  under  the  rocks.

Rahul
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 1:39 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

rahulk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Muthu,
   Â   Â   Â   You  need  to  elevate  the  rocks  from  the  sand,  Use  smaller  base  rock  and  push  it  into  the  sand  so  that  they  are  sturdy,  You  can  place  the  live  rock  on  top  of  the  base  rock.  Dont  lean  it  on  the  back  glass,  Give  some  gap  there.

This  will  give  you  good  water  flow  and  prevent  accumilation  of  debry  under  the  rocks.

Rahul                

Sure  thats  the  good  idea  will  do  this  week.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2007 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Hey  Muthu,
 well  buddy  I  had  some  pointers  from  your  pictures  and  am  discussing  them  here:
 If  you  can  see  the  attached  picture  below  you  will  notice  that  I  have  marked  some  zones  in  your  picture
 X  and  the  red  ring  means  that  the  inlet  of  the  power  heads  are  a  possible  threat  to  your  BTA  which  has  a  nasty  reputation  to  move  around  in  your  tank  -  if  the  BTA  gets  trapped  in  the  inlet  of  the  powerhead  -  God  Bless  you  and  your  fish  Â Sad  
 X
 means  that  these  rocks  being  heavy  and  non-porous  will  not  be  very  desirable  for  use  in  a  reef  so  I  would  suggest  you  to  replace  them  with  some  other  base  rocks  (Lime  stone  etc.)  the  heavy  rocks  displace  water  the  same  water  which  we  want  to  increase  and  thus  plan  our  sumps!
 Further,  you  will  see  a  yellow  line  below  your  coral  sand  in  the  picture  which  I  want  to  understand  -  is  it  a  UGF  or  a  different  substrate  used?  If  it  is  nither  the  case  I'm  afraid  it  needs  your  urgent  attention......
 Now,  lets  talk  of  the  aquascaping  a  bit  here:
 the  assembly  of  rocks  is  fine  but  the  live  rocks  should  be  elevated  furthermore  to  ensure  that  there  is  no  decay  caused  on  the  base  of  the  LR  due  to  the  detritus  build  up  at  the  bottom.  (Try  to  place  the  base  rocks  such  that  you  occupy  least  amount  of  surface  on  the  substrate  -  this  can  be  done  by  placing  the  base  rocks  on  points)
 secondly  the  rocks  should  be  arranged  in  step-formation  from  front  to  the  rear  this  ensures  that  none  of  the  corals  that  you  place  later  on  are  starved  of  light.
 wish  you  all  the  best!  Â Thumb Up

Last edited by aquascapes on Wed May 09, 2007 9:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
Muthu_Blr
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 10:03 am Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Thanks  aquascapes,  for  your  inputs  I  don’t  see  picture  attached  please  attach  so  I  can  correct  by  see  it.

Quote:                

means  that  these  rocks  being  heavy  and  non-porous  will  not  be  very  desirable  for  use  in  a  reef  so  I  would  suggest  you  to  replace  them  with  some  other  base  rocks  (Lime  stone  etc.)                  

Non  porous  rock  I  take  care  to  change  it.

Quote:                

Further,  you  will  see  a  yellow  line  below  your  coral  sand  in  the  picture  which  I  want  to  understand  -  is  it  a  UGF  or  a  different  substrate  used?  If  it  is  nither  the  case  I'm  afraid  it  needs  your  urgent  attention......                

The  yellow  line  is  nothing  but  my  tank  stand  pained,  nothing  to  worry  I  am  not  using  any  UG  filter.

Thanks  you  all,  for  giving  the  valuable  points  and  accordingly  I  am  doing  the  changes.

Regards
 Muthu
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: Muthu Marine Setup Reply with quote

Quote:                
 secondly  the  rocks  should  be  arranged  in  step-formation  from  front  to  the  rear  this  ensures  that  none  of  the  corals  that  you  place  later  on  are  starved  of  light.                  

A  simple  yet  important  thing!  We  still  have  so  much  to  learn  from  you  Nauzer  Sir!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: