66. Guest
67. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,813

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 1:16 pm Post subject: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

There  is  something  magical  about  a  planted  discus  tank.  But  both  a  planted  tank  and  a  discus  tank  has  its  own  challenges.  Putting  the  two  together  is  an  even  bigger  challenge.  As  experts  would  say  better  not  to  try  both  at  the  same  time.  But  I  did  --  a  hybrid  aquarium.  (see  pictures)

the  idea,  i  am  sure,  is  not  a  new  one.  here  is  what  I  did.  i  built  compartments  (3  inches  wide  and  six  inches  deep)  at  the  back  of  the  tank  and  smaller  compartments  (1  inch  wide,  3  inch  deep)  on  the  sides.  Filled  it  with  golden  sand  and  set  up  a  few  plants.  90%  of  the  bottom  surface  area  of  the  tank  is  bare  bottom.  easier  cleaning,  especially  since  i  feed  beef  heart.

well,  the  set  up  is  two  weeks  old.  i  m  sure  the  experts  will  have  many  suggestions  for  me  to  improve.  PLease  do  let  me  know.  but  i  think  it  is  working.  All  my  discus  are  doing  fine....dance  in  front  of  the  tank  and  beg  for  food  (already)...sometimes  they  hide  (when  my  4  year  old  son  runs  around  in  front  of  the  tank)...and  they  have  lots  of  plants  to  hide  behind.

the  plants  are  growing  like  crazy  and  i  think  the  plants  are  a  big  help  in  using  up  the  ammonia.  i  also  have  two  seasoned  bio-sponge  filters  and  an  internal  power  filter  with  zeolie  as  the  filter  media.

i  know  i  am  horribly  over  stocked  (10  discus  2.5  to  3.5  inch  in  a  42  gallon  tank).  but  i  am  moving  to  a  75  or  90  gallon   in  less  than  two  months.  but  i  do  50%  wc  every  day.  

so  --  i  have  a  planted,  bare  bottom  discus  tank.  still  early  days...will  know  if  it  really  works  only  after  a  few  more  weeks.  If  it  does,  i  will  replicate  this  in  a  75  gallon  tank.  

If  it  fails,  i  will  move  to  a  75  gallon  bare  bottom  tank.

Experts  --  please  dont  hold  back  your  ideas  and  your  critiques.  

i  am  sure,  the  planted  tank  experts  will  make  the  tank  look  better.  I  am  still  a  newbie.  hopefully,  will  get  better  next  time.

Some  of  my  learnings  so  far  --  
 --  Height  of  the  compartment  could  have  been  8-10  inches  (that  way  less  chance  of  beef  heart  falling  inside  the  planted  area)
 --  the  side  compartments  should  be  more  than  1  inch
 --  better  choice  of  plants  --  only  broad  leave  variety  would  mean  no  fallen  leaves  etc
 --  Of  course  a  bigger,  wider  tank
 --  perhaps  an  internal  power  filter  was  a  bad  idea...an  external  canister  may  have  been  better.  

cheers!
 Anand
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  Anand,

What  can  I  say.....Its  simply  so  damn  good.  Very  inovative!  

No  doubt  the  tank  is  beautiful  but  with  few  more  back  drops(plants)  it  will  be  a  a  world  class  display  tank.

Great  tank  and  good  work  .  you  really  deserve  a  big  round  of  applause.

Regards,
 Surya
Bala_Kavi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Anand,

Very  innovative  idea,  you  could  possibly  use  the  open  area  to  have  some  Anubias  on  driftwood

Regards
 Bala
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Good  and  neat  set  up   Clapping  

Internal  power  filter  with  Zeolite  worries  me....  Surprised  

Thanks
 KS
Mumbai-discus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:15 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

very  beautiful  tank  Anand..   Rock On   Rock On  

I  am  extremely  glad  to  see  it!!  please  keep  us  updated  on  the  growth  of  the  fish..  

BTW   I  am  coming  up  with  a  planted  tank  too  wondering  if  it  should  have  discus!!
onlydiscus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Hi  Anand,

Nice  Tank.  You  done  a  good  work  Thumb Up  .  That  blue  discus  is  look  like  
 Bulldog  Discus.  Am  I  Right.
Atanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:16 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Remove  the  zeolite.  It  can  raise  the  pH  of  the  water.  Nice  and  innovative  idea
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Nice  &  inovative  tank.  Thumb Up
 Will  look  much  better  with  some  more  background  plants  &  some  driftwood  work.

Please  let  us  know  the  details  of  lights,  fertilizers  &  water  changes.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
congo
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:41 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

nice  innovative  idea  behind  ,,,  ragarding  plants  may  be  some  valisneria  (  or  any  rosette  leaf  plants)might  add  up  to  this  beauty..dont  go  for   more  stem  plants  Thumb Up
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Good  Idea  Friend.
 Go  in  for  Vals,  over  a  period  of  time  they  will  form  a  dense  cover  of  plants  and  it  will  look  very  good.
 Stem  plants  might  not  look  good,  also  vals  do  not  need  high  fertilization.
 Use  driftwood  in  bare  botttom  tank,  it  will  hide  the  glass  and  also  be  easy  to  clean.
 Some  time  back  I  had  set  up  a  planted  angelfish  tank  with  vals  &  tenneleus  in  inverted  u  shape.  This  has  given  me  a  good  idea.
 The  palnted  area  can  also  be  made  in  u  shape.
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:07 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

i  just  have  doubt  about  the  muck  gathering  up  in  the  sand  area
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Karthick
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Really  cool  and  stunning  setup  dude!  Cheer   Cheer   Cheer  

Just  one  question...if  you  were  cleaning  the  planted  area,  wouldnt  it  be  tough  to  remove  the  sand  completely?

Superb  work!!

...Karthick
fishmad_fakhruddin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Doesn't  using  golden  sand  increase  the  ph  level  of  the  water  due  the  shells  present  in  it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

There  was  a  tank  pic  posted  a  few  years  ago  (03-04,  by  Deepak  Brid  IIRC)  showing  a  bare  bottom  tank  with  lots  of  plants  growing  on  driftwood.  I  don't  think  he  kept  discus  in  it,  but  it  is  something  worth  looking  up.  

Anyone  else  remember  the  tank/pic?
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 7:58 pm Post subject: Re: hybrid discus tank -- Planted, yet bare bottom Reply with quote

Anand

IMHO,  although  your  tank  with  Discuss  moving  around  looks  very  good,  the  set  up  appears  to  be  little  artificial.  Particulary  the  glass  edges  with  visible  sand  inside.

I  request  you  to  give  a  thought  to  set  up  with   one  or  two  larges  pieces  of  bog  wood  and  plants  like  Anubias,  fern  or  mint  hygrophilla  grown  on  that.  This  plants  also  sustain  low  light  conditions,  so  the  Discusses  also  feel  comfortable.  By  this  way,  you  can  have  bare  bottom  with  natural  planted  environment.  When  you  want  to  clean,  just  take  the  bog  wood  with  plants  together  outside

By  the  way,  what  is  the  zeolite  are  you  using,  is  that  a  Cation  Exchanger  to  reduce  hardness  ?  In  that  case  your  zeolite  will  exhaust  very  fast  with  50%  water  change  every  day.

But  we  must  appreciate  your  innovative  idea.  

Regards
 Rana
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: