215. Guest
216. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,809

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Are you bumping up your Post Counts!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Are you bumping up your Post Counts!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Site Chatter
View previous topic :: View next topic  
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Wow,  Nikita.  That  was  quite  the  outburst.

As  far  as  I  know,  IAH  runs  on  a  couple  of  basic,  common  sense  rules.  Namely;  the  use  of  proper  english,  avoidance  of  illegal  activities  and  posts/replies  based  on  facts  or  reasonable  experience,  keeping  in  mind  the  welfare  of  aquatic  organisms.

No  one  who  abides  by  the  following  has  any  reason  to  face  censure.

One  thing  you  have  to  remember  about  the  internet  is  that,  in  most  cases,  you  have  no  idea  who  the  person  you  are  conversing  with  is.  Have  they  been  in  the  hobby  for  20  years  or  did  they  start  2  weeks  ago?  Having  been  a  part  of  online  fora  since  the  late  '90's  and  having  served  as  an  admin/mod  on  fora  based  in  India  and  abroad,  I  can  assure  that  the  best  ones  are  staffed  and  patronised  by  people  who  actually  care  about  the  fish  in  their  charge.  Many  of  these  people  feel  quite  strongly  about  people  who  buy  fish  first  and  worry  about  their  needs  later.  Do  you  do  the  same  when  buying  a  car  or  computer?  Do  you  not  research  your  potential  purchase  before  you  put  your  money  down?  Why  treat  fish  any  differently?

I  admit  I  come  down  quite  hard  on  people  sometimes.  This  is  reserved  for  people  who  post  things  I  know  to  be  patently  untrue,  the  sole  purpose  being  to  prevent  fish  from  suffering  unneccessarily  and  people  from  burning  money.  If  all  you  want  to  hear  is  "Oh,  you  want  to  keep  a  RTC  in  a  10  gallon  tank.  No  problem,  just  trade  it  in/dump  it  when  it  outgrows  the  tank..."  you  don't  need  us,  your  LFS  will  do  that  job  quite  nicely.
Ravikiran
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:00 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Over  the  period  of  time,  we  forget  the  things.  But  we  should  NOT  forget  the  basic  rules.

I  request  one  and  all  members  on  IAH  to  go  through  the  IAH  Forums  Rules  and  Guidelines  and  adhere  to  the  points  listed.  If  we  "ALL"  adhere  to  them,  the  issues  addressed  in  this  thread  DO  NOT  arise  at  all.

Here  is  the  link  to  the  Forum's  Rules  and  Guidelines  :
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=685

For  those,  who  feel  lazy  to  go  thru  all  the  points  in  the  link,  I  have  copy  pasted  some  here,  please  go  thru  them  and  adhere  to  them.

Post  with  same  tone.  This  means  that  when  there  is  a  serious  discussion  going  on,  you  should  not  post  a  joke  or  light  hearted  comment.  

Avoid  Bad  Language.  Do  not  post  bad  words,  four  letter  words,  cuzz  words  on  the  forum.  Do  not  swear,  use  hate-words,  use  vulgar  or  obscene  comments.  Avoid  anything  that  may  be  irritating,  insulting,  threatening,  defaming,  etc.  

Avoid  person  messages.  Do  not  post  messages  meant  for  one  person.  We  have  Private  Messages  which  should  be  used  in  these  cases.  

Avoid  Defaming  or  Libel  Do  not  assert,  imply,  or  insinuate  or  ascribe  any  actions  or  behaviours  to  a  separate  party  that  are  unproven  and  speculative,  to  either  a  public  or  private  figure.

Avoid  Insults.  If  you  don't  have  something  nice  to  say,  please  don't  say  anything  at  all.

Avoid  Insulting  Smilies.  Avoid  using  smilies  in  an  insulting  or  hurtful  manner.

Treat  other  Forum  members  with  respect.  
Don't  be  rude,  vulgar,  hateful  or  bigoted.  Discuss  the  message,  not  the  messenger.

Last edited by Ravikiran on Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2007 11:49 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Many  Thanks  Ravikiran  for  stepping  in.
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 12:50 am Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hey  guys,  been  reading  the  topic  for  around  15-20  min.  and  couldn't  help  but  post  my  bit  on  this..

Ours  is  the  best  forum  site  on  the  net  available  to  the  Indian  hobbyist  BECAUSE  we  all  function  like  a  family..we  encourage  creativity,  patience  and  hard  work...we  strive,  honestly,  to  improve  irresponsible  behaviour,  laziness  and  obviously,  mistakes.

Even  i  have  had  my  share  of  getting  irritated  by  smilies  or  one  liner  posts,  but  to  curb  them,  i  agree  with  the  one  who  said  earlier  that  there  are  many  people  who  need  time  before  they  can  'understand'  something...and  we  have  to  be  patient  about  it,  after  all,  they  are  also  family  members..

The  best  thing  i  think,  mods  can  do  is  INSTANTLY  remind  those  particular  people  right  there  in  the  very  same  thread  to  stop  that  habit,  and  i  believe  99%  people  will  get  the  point  and  remember  it.  Of  course,  the  mods  do  not  have  to  waste  their  post,  they  can  post  their  advice  and  just  leave  one  warning  in  a  bold  sentence.  
 For  e.g.  "Try  to  feed  some  live  food..to  the  above  person,  please  do  not  post  useless  comments  "

Regarding  the  buy\sell  thing,  this  is  my  take  on  it,  i  have  personally  used  the  buy\sell  forum  couple  of  times  (without  any  luck!  Chuckle),  the  ONLY  reason  i  have  posted  there  is  that  i  know  hobbyists  here  will  definitely  take  good  care  of  the  exotic  fish(discus,  tetras,  arowanas)  then  the  newbies  that  turn  up  at  my  shop...hence,  thats  the  only  motivation.

Extremely  sorry  for  making  it  so  long,  i  dont  generally  do  that,  but  i  suppose  I  can  consider  myself  an  old  member,  so  I  took  it  a  little  emotionally!
 regards,
 amod.
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:13 am Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hi  All

The  past  few  weeks  have  been  quite  unexpected.  As  a  forum  we  have  been  trying  to  sort  out  how  things  happen  here.  As  some  of  the  more  long  standing  members  have  been  pointing  out  we  need  some  common  sense  and  respect  for  each  other.  

This  froum  that  has  been  around  for  some  time  and  we  have  developed  a  set  of  'traditions'  based  on  our  collective  experience.  Many  forums  have  such  unwritten  guidelines  -  it  is  natural  and  I  would  go  so  far  as  to  say  it  is  evidence  that  there  is  active  pariticipation  in  the  threads.

Those  of  us  who  have  been  around  for  more  than  a  few  months  and  have  been  posting  regularly  have  come  to  understand  how  things  work  on  this  forum.  On  the  other  hand  there  are  those  who  are  relatively  new.  After  overcoming  the  initial  hesitancy  there  is  often  a  period  of  exuberance  where  newbies  might  appear  to  ignore  these  conventions  of  ours.

However  having  been  a  newbie  myself  and  still  on  the  learning  curve  I  would  advocate  more  tolerance  towards  such  inadvertent  mistakes.  They  might  appear  to  be  done  knowingly  but  are  often  just  the  result  of  on  the  spur  posts.  I  know  I  have  been  guilty  of  some.

Another  thing  that  I  would  want  to  point  out  is  that  some  of  the  newbies  get  confused  around  the  forum.  While  we  know  the  guidelines  and  we  know  the  where  to  find  them  there  are  many  who  are  yet  to  know  their  way  around  the  site.  To  be  frank  I  am  myself  often  surprized  by  what  nooks  and  cranies  I  come  across.

I  know  we  are  almost  always  very  tolerant  of  genuine  newbies.  Maybe  we  just  need  to  show  that  a  little  more  and  make  them  feel  more  welcome.  This  would  involve  explaining  things  to  them  again  and  again  but  we  need  to  make  that  effort.  Nikitanain's  outburst  is  perhaps  uncalled  for  but  it  is  really  a  reflection  of  what  he  really  feels.  

Of  course  we  need  to  deal  strongly  with  those  that  would  exploit  our  friendliness.  I  make  no  excuse  for  those.

deepesh
nikitanain
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 6:38 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

ok  i  havnt  checked  the  post  for  quite  some  while..here  are  all  your  answers....

1)  all  the  mods  throw  their  weight  around..  how  come  when  adip  gets  a  new  stock  of  fish  his  fish  pics  are  allowed  to  be  displayed  out  of  the  lfs  section????

2)  what  does  chit  chat  mean??  some  poeple  have  posted  pisc  of  tiher  dogs  too...  what  about  that???  and  i  am  not  a  kid  that  i  need  advice..  advice  is  free  at  the  other  persons  cost...

3)  a  lot  of  newbies  are  told  a  lot  of  rash  things..and  caps  lock  is  not  the  only  way  to  yell....  the  things  which  are  said  can  be  pretty  mean  too(without  capslock)
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

nikitanain  wrote  (View  Post):                
ok  i  havnt  checked  the  post  for  quite  some  while..here  are  all  your  answers....

1)  all  the  mods  throw  their  weight  around..  how  come  when  adip  gets  a  new  stock  of  fish  his  fish  pics  are  allowed  to  be  displayed  out  of  the  lfs  section????

2)  what  does  chit  chat  mean??  some  poeple  have  posted  pisc  of  tiher  dogs  too...  what  about  that???  and  i  am  not  a  kid  that  i  need  advice..  advice  is  free  at  the  other  persons  cost...

3)  a  lot  of  newbies  are  told  a  lot  of  rash  things..and  caps  lock  is  not  the  only  way  to  yell....  the  things  which  are  said  can  be  pretty  mean  too(without  capslock)                

Adip  is  only  a  moderator  of  the  Sponsor  forum  -  Aquaspotworld  India.  
 This  is  a  paid  forum  and  he  is  allowed  to  post  pictures  and  prices  in  his  forum.
 I  feel  the  guys  who  have  insulted  and  hurt  her  should  apologize.
 Every  member's  feelings  are  equal  and  very  important  to  us.
honey_moksh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 8:50 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                
Asking  for  a  certain  minimum  number  of  Posts  before  a  person  is  allowed  to  use  the  Buy/Sell/Exchange  forum  is  a  good  one,  but  then  again  you'll  have  these  fellows  trying  to  run  up  the  required  number  of  posts  by  posting  frivolous  stuff.

Secondly  asking  a  genuinely  interested  person  to  wait  for  100  odd  posts  or  say  6  months  before  posting  in  the  Buy/Sell/Exchange  forum  is  penalising  the  innocent.

This  kind  of  regulation  needs  to  be  incorporated  in  the  software,  which  I  don't  think  is  possible  now,  however  we  can  do  something  about  it  but  it'll  take  a  while.

How  about  Selling  be  only  allowed  in  the  LFS  Announcements,  for  hobbyists  we  can  restrict  to  Buy/Exchange.  Bad  Idea????,  Yes  looks  bad.  IAH  is  all  about  hobbyists  right?

Anyway  for  now  as  long  as  the  "You  have  PM"  "wow"  "cool"  etc.,  posts  stop  it  will  be  a  blessing.                

Madan

I  dont  think  you  should  ban  people  from  posting  in  the  B/S/T  forums,  that  will  be  a  little  too  strict.  And  having  the  users  to  have  a  minimum  nos  of  post  to  start  a  new  thread  in  the  B/S/T  sections  is  definitely  like  penalising  the  innocent.

I  think  its  a  good  idea  of  banning  people  with  just  a  liner  (who  like  to  add  their  counts  donno  why,  wherether  any  feebies  for  ppl  with  high  counts?),  though  it  still  sound  a  little  strict,  however  all  said  &  done  the  line  has  to  be  drawn  some  where.

I  would  urge  all  out  members  to  follow  "self  moderation".  Thats  the  only  way.

Thanks
 Harpreet.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 9:12 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hi  Harpeet,  Madan  like  me  is  a  Marine  Engineer  and  works  for  six  months  in  a  year  at  sea.  He  is  expected  back  in  early  March.  Smile
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 11:17 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Quote:                
I  dont  think  you  should  ban  people  from  posting  in  the  B/S/T  forums,  that  will  be  a  little  too  strict.  And  having  the  users  to  have  a  minimum  nos  of  post  to  start  a  new  thread  in  the  B/S/T  sections  is  definitely  like  penalising  the  innocent.                

Though  I  am  not  Madan  I  would  just  like  to  clarify  something  here,
 we  are  only  concerned  about  people  who  are  only  interested  in  such  B/S/T  forums  and  have  never  or  never  will  post  anything  in  any  other  forums.  Such  people  only  exploit  their  membership  on  IAH  for  getting  commercial  benefits.  The  innocent  hobbyist  is  free  to  post  anything  he  wants  to  sell/share  with  other  fellow  hobbyists.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nikitanain
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:49 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

ok..  here  is  your  proof  trevor..  and  btw  some  of  theses  pics  have  been  posted  by  U!!
 what  are  these  pics  doing  outta  the  lfs  threads..  arnt  thy  a  way  of  advertising  for  adip's  fish?

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6500

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7005

I  rest  my  CASE.....
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:35 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

nikitanain  wrote  (View  Post):                
ok..  here  is  your  proof  trevor..  and  btw  some  of  theses  pics  have  been  posted  by  U!!
 what  are  these  pics  doing  outta  the  lfs  threads..  arnt  thy  a  way  of  advertising  for  adip's  fish?

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6500

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=7005

I  rest  my  CASE.....                

Okay.  I  will  stop  posting  pictures  of  Adip's  fish  if  it  hurts  you.
 By  the  way  the  "Red  and  white  Koi"  is  posted  in  Livebearers  forum  by  me.  
 The  Discus  pictures  where  posted  by  Sridhar  who  stays  opposite  Adip's  house.
 The  only  reason  is  it  is  convenient  since  I  too  stay  very  close  by.
 There  is  no  restriction  on  anybody  posting  pictures.  
 Believe  me  I  have  no  bias  against  the  people  of  Chennai  or  the  Tamil  nation  which  include  the  owners  of  this  website  even  though  our  two  states  are  frequently  at  war.  Many  a  time  over  water.
 Good  you  have  pointed  out  this  serious  lapse.  Should  seriously  think  of  charging  our  Bangalore  guys  a  fee  the  next  time  I  click  their  fish  pictures.  Smile
nikitanain
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Local  Fish  Shops,  Equipment  dealers,  and  other  commercial  entities  may  post  here  announcing  availability  of  their  products.  Please  DO  NOT  post  prices.  Pictures  of  goods  on  offer  are  not  allowed,  either  as  attachments  or  Image  Links.  Please  contact  IAH  for  information  regarding  advertisment  packages.  IAH  is  neither  responsible  for  the  source/legality  of  items  put  up  for  sale/barter  or  for  any  deals  gone  sour.  You  shall  verify  the  credentials  of  the  buyer  and  seller,  the  source  and  legality  of  the  goods/livestock  before  you  strike  deals.  IAH  will  not  mediate  in  any  dispute.  Other  than  posting  regarding  availability  of  fish  and  aquarium  related  materials  for  sale/exchange  no  other  discussion  regarding  price  etc.,  is  allowed  on  this  forum.  Please  contact  the  buyer/seller/trader  off  IAH  forums.

this  is  got  from  the  forum  guidelines.....  so  as  it  says  no  pics  clearly..  so  the  way  out  is  for  others  to  post  pics  eh???  
 seems  like  there  is  a  big  lapse  indeed.....more  like  a  bug  in  the  system:)
 rules  are  for  everyone....  not  just  for  few  people....
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:17 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

Hi  Nikita,

You  seem  to  be  really  blowing  off  some  steam  over  the  last  few  days.  As  you  have  stated,  The  LFS  forum  does  not  allow  the  use  of  pictures.  Trevor's  and  Sridhar's  postings  are  in  their  respective  forums.  They  have  done  this  only  to  potray  these  lovely  specimens  to  hobbyists  other  than  those  that  are  in  Bangalore.

I  do  believe  that  since  Adip  has  his  own  sponsor  forum  now,  he  is  free  to  display  what  he  wants  there.  

I  too  have  displayed  quite  a  lot  of  Kiran's  fishes  in  the  past,  simply  because  they  were  a  new  find  in  the  market  ...  atleast  I  never  knew  that  they  were  available.  Kiran  is  indeed  a  very  good  family  friend  of  mine,  but  doesn't  mean  that  I  was  marketing  it  for  him.  He  doesn't  need  to  do  it  because  he  has  his  own  network.

As  Trevor  posted  elsewhere,  "Let  sleeping  dogs  lie".  Why  rake  up  old  issues  now?
nikitanain
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 9:30 pm Post subject: Re: Are you bumping up your Post Counts! Reply with quote

ok..let  me  get  this  clear..  so  if  i  go  to  an  lfs  who  is  posting  on  iah  and  take  a  few  pics  and  feel  like  educating  the  other  hobbesists  in  the  other  forums  and  also  telling  them  that  these  fish  are  for  sale  the  same  way  as  it  was  done  on  those  threads  so  thats  all  rite..  or  is  it  that  only  mods  can  do  this  as  they  have  special  priviliges  and  there  are  no  rules  for  them  Smile
 or  is  it  that  adip  is  special  ???
 and  this  was  not  in  adip's  forum  anyways..  it  was  in  other  threads  like  livebearers  and  cichlids(discus)..  

hey  btw  isnt  it  a  bit  weird  how  u  guys  r  pushing  adip  up,  and  not  even  any  mention  of  any  other  compitetor....  someone  told  me  that  adip  is  the  best,  he  can  get  any  fish  into  india..  that  is  not  being  the  best..  thats  being  good  at  bending  rules  Smile

everyone  has  let  sleeping  dogs  lie  hence  the  outburst..  everyone  is  not  bothered  about  whats  actually  happening  and  r  happy  following  the  mods...
 being  a  mod  dosnt  allow  u  to  do  what  ever  u  want  and  get  away  with  it..rules  r  meant  for  everyone..and  the  sooner  u  guys  get  this  the  sooner  things  will  be  back  to  normal  Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Site Chatter All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: