184. Guest
185. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Some cool economical lighting.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Some cool economical lighting.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting Equipment - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 9:50 pm Post subject: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Check  out  these  CFL's.  They  come  with  a  six  months  written  warranty.  I  am  using  one  under  the  hood  for  my  one  foot  by  one  foot  Nano  tank.  Overkill?  Smile
 It  can  light  up  an  entire  room.  

deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

I  have  been  using  the  Philips  23  watt  for  my  1.5  by  1  by  1.

Pretty  good  lighting  -  plants  are  crypts  and  aponogetons  so  they  dont  mind.  One  factor  to  account  for  is  the  heat  from  the  integrated  ballasts  -  my  tank  would  go  up  to  33  C  in  summer.

deepesh
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:01 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

I  think  your  bulb  is  imported  and  so  no  six  months  written  warranty.
 CFL's   do  not  raise  the  temperature  that  much  anyhow  not  as  much  as  other  lightings  especially  MH  to  effect  our  tanks  at  least  in  Bangalore.
 The  colour  Temp.  is  6500  K.  Smile
 Anyhow  if  the  bulb  flops  I  will  use  it  for  my  room  lighting.  Chuckle
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

CFL's   do  not  raise  the  temperature  that  much  anyhow  not  as  much  as  other  lightings  especially  MH  to  effect  our  tanks  at  least  in  Bangalore.

Very  true  Trevor.   I'm  using  a  Philips  6500K  for  one  of  my  tanks  and  it  puts  in  less  heat  than  my  Trulites,  not  to  mention  both  have  reflectors  and  are  just  above  the  glass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:37 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

The  CFLs  wont  flop.  I  have  been  using  them  in  my  tank  for  about  a  year  and  a  half.  

After  about  6  -  8  months  I  change  my  CFLs  assuming  a  change  in  output/spectrum.  Thats  when  the  bulbs  start  their  second  life  as  room  lighting.  Given  the  long  life  (I  still  have  my  first  CFL)  I  guess  I  will  be  having  quite  a  collection  of  spare  bulbs  soon!!  But  then  I  have  only  3  rooms  to  light  up.

The  temperature  is  6500  K  -  'cool  daylight'  as  per  Philips.  Philips  is  giving  a  warranty  (6  months  I  think)  but  thats  through  the  retailer.  At  least  thats  what  he  says.  He  writes  the  date  of  purchase  with  a  marker  on  the  ballast.

My  CFL  contributes  to  about  1  -  2  C  rise  in  temperature  after  about  8  hours  running  -  and  I  have  to  factor  in  the  ambient  temperature  too.  A  1  -2  C  rise  is  not  much  for  the  fish  so  its  no  big  deal.  Just  wanted  to  say  that  the  ballast  heat  will  be  in  the  tank.  That  reminds  me  I  have  to  get  the  moss  out  of  the  fridge!  My  wife  says  that  the  'chutney'  has  started  to  look  funny.  <grin>

deepesh
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Trevor,
   Just  a  small  info,  Looks  like  T5  HO's  @  24W  @  6.5K  colour  range  can  provide  1900  lumens,  The  bulb  cost  would  be  cheaper  but  one  has  to  invest  on  the  electronic  ballast.  On  the  other  hand  this  is  like  the  one  lasting  for  20K  hrs  hence  can  be  cost  effective  on  a  long  run.

Yes!!!  I  accept  that  this  is  not  too  easy  to  get  unless  hunted  for  in  bangalore  but  once  got,  This  would  last  a  long  way.  

Raghu
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:10 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  think  your  bulb  is  imported  and  so  no  six  months  written  warranty.                

I  used  a  philips  CFL  in  my  tanks  too  and  the  shopkeeper  offered  me  a  one  year  warranty  with  replacement.  He  offered  that  on  Orpat  too.
 I  guess  thats  pretty  common  with  shops  in  pune.
 They  write  the  date  of  purchase  on  the  bulb  with  a  permanent  marker.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 11:20 am Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Raghu,  These  are  pretty  common  nowadays.  Every  supermarket  and  grocery  store  stocks  these  in  a  variety  of  sizes  and  wattages.
 I  have  2  *  24W  running  in  the  1'  Cube  which  is  covered  with  aluminium  foil.  Water  stays  at  26  -  28  degrees.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

One  of  the  best  I  have  used  is  philps  "Tornado"  range.  They  come  with  a  one  year  replacement  guarantee.
 They  also  have  40  &  60W  CFL's,  but  they  cost  600&  800  Rs.
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 1:29 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

i  am  using  orpat  bulbs  they  come  with  a  warranty  of  1  year....and  am  very  happy  with  the  quality..  Smile
Juju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Hi  

I  am  using  ORPIT  18"  CFL  tube  in  my  tank  of  size  36x18x24,  Good  effect  and  no  temperature  varriation.
 Try  out,   real  good  for  this  size.

Cheers
 Juju
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 2:48 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Hi

Â I  have  somehow  Â never  prefered  using  CFLs  due  to  heat  generation  and  the  loss  of  light  due  to  varing  angles  of  the  "U"  tubes.  
   Â IMHO  I  would  recomend  a  2  *11w  PLL  (celling  mount  fixture)  in  the  snap  below  it  comes  with  the  ballast  and  the  reflectors  for  nano  tanks  this  works  very  well  as  the  size  is  12  *  10  (inches).  The  lighting  is  very  effective  and  the  temperature  raise  will  be  lower  as  compared  to  the  CFL.  Ofcourse  anything  2ft  and  over  go  for  T5HOs  really  works  out  well.

@Juju

Â   I  think  what  you  are  talking  about  is  a  PLL  it  should  be  a  36W  tube.

Regards
   Harshal
apollyon
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 7:34 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

^^  I  use  the  exact  same  fixture  for  my  (now  defunct)  nano  tank,  18wx2  Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:07 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Hi  Harshal  

I  have  never  seen  the  set  up  your  photo  shows.  I  am  interested  in  that.  Details?  Ballpark  figures,  manufacturers  etc.

If  the  ballast  is  in  the  hood  the  heat  generation  is  more  or  less  the  same  as  that  of  the  CFLs.  The  trick  is  to  keep  the  ballasts  outside  the  tank/hood.

deepesh
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Some cool economical lighting. Reply with quote

Hi  deepesh

Â The  fixture  shown  is  used  for  offices  and  residences  its  not  particularly  for  aquariums.  What  you  need  to  do  is  to  keep  this  fixture  about  4  inches  of  the  water  surface,  again  this  is  only  for  nano  tanks  for  bigger  tanks  it  might  not  work  well.
   Â In  Bangalore  we  get  this  from  Decolite  they  manufacture  decent  products.  As  for  the  ballast  it  is  placed  on  top  so  the  heat  will  radiate  from  the  top  of  the  fitting,  apart  from  this  the  4inch  gap  will  help  in  reducing  the  heat.  As  for  ballpark  figs  arround  Rs.1000-  Rs.1250  (could  vary).  If  you  are  very  particular  about  keeping  the  Ballast  away  you  can  dismantle  it  from  its  place  in  the  fixture  and  keep  it  elsewhere.

Regards
   Harshal
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting Equipment - General All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: