60. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Discus Pairing
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Discus Pairing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 7:14 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Nag,
 This  is  a  great  piece  of  info.    Thanks  for  publishing  that.  Very Happy
 Think  thats  true  because  when  you  are  talking  about  5  generations  in  a  row  then  probably  you  are  talking  about  fairly  extensive  line  breeding  and  my  guess  is  that  the  gene  pool  gets  considerably  weekened  in  such  a  case.
 Why  i  say  this  is  because  once  i  tried  two  pairs  of  convicts  in  the  same  tank  at  almost  the  same  time.    But  when  the  fry  were  around  1/2  inch  fry  from  one  brood  ended  in  the  other  ie.,  the  brood  were  interchanged.    When  i  asked  a  biology  professor  about  it  he  told  'nature  does  this  to  make  sure  that  the  gene  pool  doesn't  get  weaker'.    And  i  also  think  this  is  why  breeders  all  over  breed  their  resultant  progencies  back  to  their  wild  forms.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 12:08 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Nag,
 I  met  Rod  at  the  Aquarealms  members  dinner  at  Singapore.  A  very  nice  person  and  is  very  knowledgeable.
 I  dug  up  this  snap  taken  at  the  dinner...  Rod  is  at  the  end  on  the  right  side  of  the  table

There  are  some  other  biggies  of  the  discus  world  at  that  table  like  Ryan  Wong  (Absolute  Discus,  Malaysia),  Jeff  Young  (Discusfarm.us,  U.S.A),  Roy  Khoo  (Discus  Connexion,  Singapore),  Louis  Chia.....

Those  Prawns  were  yummy  and  went  well  with  all  the  discus  talk  around  the  table  Very Happy
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:03 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Great  Beta    Very Happy  

This  May,  you'll  have  much  more  reasons  to  meet  and  celebrate...  Very Happy  
 Regards,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 08, 2005 10:44 pm Post subject: Discus Fries Reply with quote

Hi,

I  have  a  confirmed    Golden  Melon  Female  and  Snakeskin  Male  Pair  which  laid  around  30  eggs  and  out  of  these  came  around  20-25  fries.Since  they  were  in  the  main  tank(5ft)  along  with  the  other  discus,  I  was  not  able  save  any  of  them.

It  was  really  a  fascinating  experience  to  see  the  Discus  Parents  taking  good  care  of  the  fries  for  nearly  72  hours.  I  am  shifting  them  to  a  separate  tank  shortly.Shall  keep  you  all  posted  on  this  pair.

Taking  inspiration  from  the  above  pair,  the  blue  diamonds  have  again  laid  around  75  eggs  today.  Hope  they  are  successfull  at  least  this  time  to  get  fries.

I  need  info  on  availability  of  artemenia  eggs  in  Bangalore  and  also  other  possible  feeds  for  the  fries  after  they  are  separated  from  the  parents.

Sriram
 Bangalore
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 09, 2005 12:21 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Here's  the  tread
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=874&sid=3b13cec4d21644e1805beef7e71c8b06

Also  i've  heard  Matsyavatar  in  Bangalore  has  got  Artemia  eggs.
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

I  wanted  to  know  the  breeding  cycles  of  Discus.  I  mean  between  how  many  days  they  breed.Mine  seem  to  lay  once  every  15-20  days  though  the  hatching  is  a  problem.

It  would  be  useful  info  if  Beta  or  Adipa  could  thro  some  light  on  the  above.

Sriram
discusboy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:42 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi,
 your  fish  are  absolutely  fine  a  gap  of  15  to  20  days  is  normal  i  beleive  ..
 Mine  also  have  the  same  cycle..
 And  also  get  babies  ..
 Just  wanted  to  know  why  hatching  is  a  problem??
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:01 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Yes,  a  15  day  gap  is  normal.  Check  the  hardness  of  your  water  I  have  the  same  problem  with  my  discus.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 5:07 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Ya  very  true  Beta!
 Discus  eggs  get  easily  hard  due  to  calcification  on  the  egg  shells.    Optimum  hardness  for  hatching  is  5.    Your  pH  can  be  low  and  even  then  your  hardness  can  be  a  little  high.    For  eg.,  your  pH  may  be  at  around  6.5  but  if  your  general  hardness  is  about  7-8  then  the  fry  will  have  problems  comming  out.
aquadip2000
Moderator - Sponsor's Forum

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 7:47 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  guys,  
 The  the  shortest  time  between  which  dicus  can  lay  Eggs  from  my  experience  is  about  7-9  days.  The  frequency  for  any  fish  for  that  matter  to  lay  eggs  is  directly  proportional  to  the  favourable  conditions  you  offer  the  fish.  So  if  the  fish  is  kept  in  ideal  conditions  and    there  is  no  parental  care  of  fry  after  the  eggs  hatch  ,    then  there  is  surely  a  next  lot  of  eggs  coming  your  way.
 But  if  the  eggs  hatch  and  there  is  parental  care  it  would  take  quite  some  time    as  the  fry  have  to  be  removed  from  the  parents  to  get  the  next  lot  of  eggs.
 Well  my  opinion  as  to  why  the  eggs  do  not  hatch  is    the  fertility  of  the  discus.  Although  i  cant  validate  it  right  now.  Exclamation  
 Hardness  is  also  an  important  factor.

Regards
 Adip
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:29 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thinking  of  Adip's  new  water  conditions  and  water  hardness  (he  was  mentioning  it  to  be  around  600ppm...ground  water...  Rolling Eyes  ),  I'm  convinced  that  "Adip  can  make  any  fish  breed  under  any  condition"...  :lol:  

Touch  of  the  "Golden  hand"...I  should  say...  :lol:  
 Bye,
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: