190. Guest
191. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,802

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My first Planted tank - suggestions please
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My first Planted tank - suggestions please

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Hello  everyone,

I  have  started  my  first  planted  tank.  I  require  your  valubale  inputs  for  me  to  proceed  further.

Tank  Specs:  4x1.5x2  (lxbxh)  -  89  US  gallons
 Substrate:  1  cm  of  laterite(mixed  with  minute  river  gravel)  and  topped  with  2  to  3  mm  gravel.  Total  4  inches  of  substrate.
 Filteration:  Eheim  2217
 DIY  CO2

The  tank  is  set  with  the  substrate  and  filled  with  water  and  its  been  a  day.

1.  Please  let  me  know  what  type  of  lights  to  use.
 2.  I  have  checked  out  some  light  fittings  in  kolathur  since  I  have  a  wooden  hood  and  dont  want  to  use  that.
 3.  I  am  not  familiar  with  plants  -  Please  let  me  knwo  what  type  of  plants  to  buy.

Any  other  inputs  would  be  great.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:39 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Are  you  planning  for  a  low  tech  tank  or  high  tech  one  ?
 In  short,
 Low  tech  one=  Low  lighting,  No  co2,less  Water  changes,Slow  Plant  Growth.
 High  Tech=  High  light,presurrised  co2,fert  dosing,weekly  water  changes,high  plant  growth.

If  you  want  to  go  hi  tech,
 Most  of  us  here  will  suggest  to  you  that  DIY  co2  wont  really  work  for  a  tank  as  large  as  that.
 As  for  lighting,
 By  practical  experiences  of  experts  here,
 Flouroscent  light  do  not  penetrate  in  for  a  tank  of  height  more  than  18  inches.
 So  you  are  left  with  the  option  of  MH  and  that  will  be  coupled  with  water  heating  woes  in  summer.
 If  flouroscent  light  was  the  option,  T8  or  T5  HO  would  have  been  good  option.
 As  the  thumbrule  suggests,  a  light  intensity  of  2.5  w  to  3  w  per  gallon  is  desirable.

But  light  as  strong  as  that  has  to  be  coupled  with  presurrised  co2  and  fert  dosing  or  you  will  have  an  algae  bloom.

You  may  want  to  first  decide  upon  which  way  wudd  you  like  to  go.
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Thanks  Rohan,

Its  high  tech  but  the  only  change  is  i  am  going  for  DIY  CO2  as  I  dont  have  a  budget  for  the  cylinder.  Do  you  suggest  me  to  wait  till  I  get  that.

I  want  to  go  with  T-5  which  i  have  seen  in  the  market.  Considering  that  I  go  with  T-5  and  with  DIY  CO2  and  fert  dosing,  do  you  think  there  will  be  any  problems.

Thanks  for  your  inputs.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:58 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

I  suggest  you  to  go  through  this  thread.
 Tirthankar  has  been  /  was  planning  to  go  for  DIY  co2  for  a  tank  of  similar  size  of  yours.
 Experts  comments  in  there.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6391
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:17 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Thank  Rohan,

I  read  the  post.  Very  similar  situation  like  mine.  Just  a  matter  of  few  gallons  that  are  different.  

I  will  have  to  figure  out  a  way  now  to  get  CO2  or  as  Madan  suggested  in  the  post  should  I  go  in  for  a  3  footer  to  solve  my  problem.

Oh  man  !  Looks  like  loads  of  work  to  do  if  I  need  to  shift  the  substrate.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:48 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Camy...  welcome  to  the  planted  world.  Smile

If  you  wanna  go  for  DIY  Co2  method,  then  I  would  suggest  you  to  go  for  a  3  feeter  with  Low  Light.  I  was  able  to  create  a  planted  tank  with  lots  of  low  Light  plants  with  1.5WPG  lights  (I  used  4  2  feet  TCool.  Take  a  look  into  the  below  link  to  know  about  the  tank  and  setup  details.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6077

But  if  you  want  to  go  for  4  feeter  with  High  Lights  (MH/T5  HO)  then  pressurised  CO2  is  must.  Otherwise  we  wont  be  able  to  maintain  the  optimum  level  of  CO2  constantly.  I  am  out  of  money  as  of  now  so  just  waiting  for  the  right  time  to  start  the  tank  with  all  the  required  weapons.  But  it  will  be  risky  to  satrt  a  hightech  tank  before  getting  yourself  equiped  properly.

If  you  don't  have  problem  with  Heat  then  go  for  MH  otherwise  go  with  T5  HO  (Not  normal  T5).  Both  will  serve  the  porpuse.

Wish  you  all  the  best  for  the  planted  journey.   Thumb Up
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 3:53 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

For  your  information,  T5  HO  has  the  same  penetration  power  as  that  of  MH  and  the  advantage  is  that  it  generates  less  heat  as  compared  to  MH.  If  you  have  more  money  then  go  for  the  ADA  lights.  There  is  nothing  available  in  the  market  today  that  can  beat  the  ADA  Tubes.

Regards,

Sridhar.P
apollyon
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

What  would  be  the  advantage  of  the  ADA  lamps  over  Osram  T5  HO's?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Hello  Prem,

IMHO,  since  this  is  your  first  attempt  on  planted  tank  i  would  suggest  you  go  on  low  lighthing  plants  like  ferns  and  mosses  (planted  gurus  will  suggest  you  a  lot  more  varities).  Once  you  get  a  hang  of  it  and  get  through,  then  you  could  slowly  attempt  on  keeping  high  tech  tanks  like  what  Mr  Madan,  Trevor,  Mayurdev,  Suuresh  and  rest  of'em  have.

I  know  its  not  next  to  impossible  to  keep  a  planted  tank  but  then  again  its  not  as  easy  as  maintaing  a  cichlid  tank  too....make  your  choice   Thumb Up  

Cheers
 Ravi
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Yes  Ravi  -  I  agree  to  your  point.  I  will  first  go  low-tech  and  then  slowly  move  to  high  tech  plants.  

Now  since  I  have  decided  to  go  for  low  tech  tank,  what  should  be  the  total  watts  of  light  to  be  used  for  89  gallons.

Please  suggest.
ks
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 10:38 am Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

Prem,

It  is  not  necessary  that  plants  in  a  low  tech  set  up  will  grow  slowly.  I  really  dont  understand  the  concept  behind  the  so  called  low  tech  set  up.  As  you  know  very  well  that  we  have  started  a  3  foot  low  tech  set  up  with  DIY  CO2,  laterite  &  red  soil  mix  with  river  sand,  2  nos  of  36W  PL  and  1  nos  of  18W  Philips  trulite.  The  tank  is  only  two  months  old  and  you  might  have  seen  the  lush  growth.  This  again  is  due  to  the  variety  of  plants  as  most  of  them  were  basic  stuffs  like  ambulia,  cabomba,  mint,  vallisneria,  mayaca,red  lily,axelrodi,baby  tears,grass,..etc.  Till  date  there  is  no  addition  of  marcos  or  even  micros  for  that  matter.  

The  tank  is  balanced  now  and  fully  matured  with  almost  no  algae  growth  except  for  few  spots  on  the  glass.  I  have  adopted  my  own  method  and  it  has  worked  well,  but  there  might  be  experts  here  who  can  guide  you  in  setting  up  planted  tanks....

KS
apollyon
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 2:04 pm Post subject: Re: My first Planted tank - suggestions please Reply with quote

axelrodi?  Which  plant  is  that?  Native?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: