194. Guest
195. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Goldies's Friends!!!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Goldies's Friends!!!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 8:43 pm Post subject: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hello  experts  and  fellow  friends,

I  am  going  in  for  a  4  ft.  tank  -  118  gallons.

I  might  plan  for  a  basic  goldfish  tank  (for  now)

Questions:

1.  What  fishes  would  go  well  with  goldies  (apart  from  goldies)?
 2.  How  many  fishes  (according  to  a  10G:1  gold  ratio)  i  can  keep  upto  10  -  correct?
 3.  I  am  going  for  an  un-planted  tank  -  what  are  the  lighting  options?
 4.  I  am  setting  up  basic  'black'  gravel  (an  imported  type  i  guess  -  2-4mm.)  Can  this  be  used  for  plants  (if  i  plan  to  go  for  a  planted  tank  later?)  Can  any  of  you  suggest  the  best  gravel  setting  that  goes  well  in  aesthetics  as  well  as  for  plant  life?
 5.  If  i  want  to  go  in  for  another  type  of  a  tank  -  can  you  direct  me  to  some  web  source  which  gives  me  the  types  of  tank  setups  and  all  the  other  necessary  things  that  are  required  to  start  each  tank  type  from  scratch  (I  understand  that  each  tank  type  needs  different  things  to  be  taking  into  account).

Filtration  (Top  filter  +  canister  (1200  LPH)  +  basic  sponge  filter)

Advance  thanks  for  the  time  and  effort.....

KK
 Beginner
 Chennai
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hi  KK,

Quote:                
What  fishes  would  go  well  with  goldies  (apart  from  goldies)?                

Well,  I  am  not  sure  about  this....  but  you  can  keep  Chinese  Hi-Fin  Banded  Shark  (Asiatic).  They  are  peaceful  &  cold  water  fish  like  goldies.

But  I  will  strongly  suggest  you  to  keep  a  GOLDIES  special  tank  with  few  different  types  of  species  such  as  :  Ranchu,  Red  Cap  Oranda,  Black  Moor,   Pearlscale  &  Ruykin.

Dont  keep  any  plants  in  goldies  tank.  They  will  dig  them  out.  Decorate  your  tank  with  few  driftwood  &  few  larger  round  shape  stones  &  cover  the  plant  root  with  the  bigger  stones  only.

Keep  the  background  black.

Keep  filtration  high  because  goldies  pollute  water  very  fast  and  quickly.  

Use  2  nos  600-800  L/H  internal  power  filter  with  2  nos  of  1000  L/H  Top  filter.

Check  out  the  picture.
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/d/16498-1/Goldies.JPG
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hey  DJ,

Thank  for  the  tips...wow  the  pics  looks  amazing...hopefully  i  should  be  able  to  get  it  just  as  good.

Do  we  get  these  round  rocks  /  stones  at  stores?  Or  do  we  pick  them  up  from  river  banks?

KK
Seetharam

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2007 10:15 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hi  KK

You  could  probably  add  2-4  coryadoras  along  with  the  Goldies.

As  for  the  rocks  River  Banks  would  be  a  good  source  for  such  rocks.  But  you  could  try  some  place  which  does  ladscaping  cos  they  use  such  rocks  for  that.  Some  local  LFS  also  stock  such  rocks  and  driftwood  sometimes.

All  the  best  for  your  Tank   Thumb Up  Do  post  a  picture  when  you  have  set  it  up!

Regards
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 11:19 am Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Seetharam  wrote  (View  Post):                

All  the  best  for  your  Tank  Â :thumb:  Do  post  a  picture  when  you  have  set  it  up!

Regards                

Dear  Seetharam,

Thanks  for  the  info,  will  sure  post  a  few  pics...

Just  got  news  that  the  tank  i  ordered  will  take  longer  to  arrive  -  will  need  to  wait  for  some  more  time...

KK
venket
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:30 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hello  KK:

you  should  probably  try  Ajay  aqua  Palace.  Saw  some  rocks  lying  there.  Their  contact  info  is  available  in  the  contents  of  our  site.

Venket
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2007 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Venkat,

Thanks  for  the  tip...will  check  it  out...

Bad  news...still  cannot  get  a  good  deal  on  an  imported  fish  tank...tried  all  shops  in  Kolathur...

KK
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:22 am Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Hey  KK,

If  you  are  staying  in  Chennai,  and  you  are  planning  to  Keep  Goldies,  then  you  need  a  chiller  my  friend...

Gold  fishes  are  cold  water  fishes  and  do  well  in  Temp  17-24  degrees,  something  that  Chennai  has  never  seen...

You  may  argue,  that  you  have  kept  them  from  time  eternal  or  LFS  says  that  it  is  OK  but  why  give  them  the  trouble  when  they  get  burnt  by  the  heat  and  succumb  to  a  much  early  death..

FYI  each  mature  Gold  fish  require  minimum  of  40  G  of  water  to  do  well  and  they  live  for  35-40  years.  Even  people  have  seen  Gold  fishes  live  for  60  yrs.

I  would  request  you  to  buy  other  fishes  and  also  educate  people  to  refrain  from  buying  these  fishes  unless  they  have  the  proper  setup.

Hope  that  you  will  take  it  in  the  right  spirit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Severumkid,

thanks  for  the  info.  I  add  chilled  water  for  every  tank  refill.  But  yes,  the  water  does  heat  up  owing  ot  the  room  temp  and  i  might  need  a  chiller.

I  am  also  in  a  mind  to  give  off  these  goldies  and  go  for  a  cichilid  tank.  lets  see

KK
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Goldie's  Friends  =  Other  Goldies,  Simple  as  that.

Goldfish  tanks  are  notorious  for  their  water  quality  and  I  wouldn't  suggest  anything  else  with  them.  You  can  pick  up  rocks  and  pebbles  from  river  banks.  Just  clean  them  by  putting  them  in  hot  water  and  scrubbing  them  out  to  remove  any  toxin  residues.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 6:07 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

callmekk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Severumkid,
 thanks  for  the  info.  I  add  chilled  water  for  every  tank  refill.  But  yes,  the  water  does  heat  up  owing  ot  the  room  temp  and  i  might  need  a  chiller.
 I  am  also  in  a  mind  to  give  off  these  goldies  and  go  for  a  cichilid  tank.  lets  see
 KK                

Please  do  not  add  chilled  water  to  your  tank,  you  do  not  need  a  chiller  to  keep  goldfishes.  While  it  is  true  that  goldfish  are  cold  water  fishes,  they  have  been  bred  for  centuries  in  tropical  climates,  and  most  of  them  have  adjusted  to  tropical  climates.
 A  stable  temp  is  more  important  than  a  ideal  temp,  if  you  add  chilled  water  your  tank  will  see  a  variance  in  temp  which  is  not  good  for  fishes.  
 It  is  not  good  to  mix  other  tropical  fish  with  goldfish,  the  goldfish  family  has  enough  variety  to  justify  a  tank  of  its  own.
 Keep  your  substrate  between  3-4mm,  any  pieces  larger  than  that  will  trap  debeis  in  between.
 Goldfish  often  have  a  habit  of  taking  pieces  of  substrate  in  their  mouths  and  spitting  it  out,  hence  very  small  stones  are  again  not  good,  as  they  can  hurt  the  fish.
 If  you  are  keeping  fish  with  poor  eyesight,  like  black  moor  or  bubble  eye,  keep  your  tank  free  from  any  sharp  decorations.
 Keep  a  basic  thumbrule  of  10  g  per  goldfish  are  you  will  be  okay,  don't  go  in  for  pond  varities  like  koi,  etc.
krishanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:01 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

@kk
 sandeep  is  right.  your  tank  doesnt  need  to  be  chilled.  most  goldies  do  fine  just  by  themselves.  adding  chilled  water  isnt  a  good  idea  simply  because  there  is  a  sudden  change  in  water  temperature.  one  of  the  main  reasons  fish  arent  directly  put  in  a  tank  when  you  bring  them  from  an  lfs  but  rather  suspended  in  the  tank  for  a  while  is  to  equalize  temperatures.

i  can  tell  you  from  first  hand  experience  (was  a  noob  then)  that  sudden  temperature  changes  can  kill  weak  fish.
callmekk
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Sandeep:  thanks  for  the  tip  -  I  have  been  checking  the  galley  and  some  of  the  'goldfish  only'  tanks  look  great  by  themselves  with  all  the  different  types  of  goldies.

Krishanu:  thanks  for  the  info  -  will  be  careful.

KK
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Keep  in  mind  that  glass  tanks  water  is  always  hotter  than  cemented  tanks  and  ponds.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 10, 2007 11:18 am Post subject: Re: Goldies's Friends!!! Reply with quote

Well,  I   would  not  be  able  to  comment  on  the  adaptability  of  the  gold  fish.
   But  it  would  be  interesting,  if  I  can  hear  some  one  who  has  them  surviving  at  least  10-15  yrs.  

Why  pet  something  that  will  not  be  able  to  live  its  natural  time  span?

Thanks.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: