217. Guest
218. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Help need for building 8 foot tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Help need for building 8 foot tank
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gattu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 11:30 pm Post subject: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Hi,

I  am  in  this  hobby  for  around  3  years  &  have  two  tank  (4’  Cichlids  &  a  2’6”  planted  tank).  I  am  presently  using  Boyu  4  nozzle  air  pump,  Jager  150  W  heater  &  Eheim  2217  for  my  4’  tank.

I  am  planning  to  assemble  a  new  tank  with  dimensions  8’  x  2’6”  x  2’6”.  I  am  planning  to  keep  Alligator  gar,  Red  tail  catfish,  TSN,  Giant  Gourami  &  Oscars  in  it.  

The  tank  will  be  placed  at  the  back  yard  of  my  house  and  for  this  I  am  planning  to  get  a  10'x4'  re-enforced  cement  slab  built  at  a  height  of  around  2'  with  wooden  almirah  below.  I  am  also  planning  to  give  it  a  cemented  roof  at  a  height  of  around  8'  with  the  dimension  10'x4'  to  provide  shade  and  to  protect  it  from  rain.  
 Please  suggest  
 â€¢ If  using  12mm  glass  with  support  at  bottom  and  top  will  be  sufficient?
 â€¢ Can  I  further  increase  height  /  depth  with  12mm  glass?
 â€¢ For  filtration  if  I  should  use  two  Eheim  2217  or  one  Eheim  2080  pro  series.  
 â€¢ Heater  wattage?
 â€¢ Any  special  precaution  to  be  taken?     

Thanks,  

Vikas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 9:17 am Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Gattu  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,
 I  am  planning  to  assemble  a  new  tank  with  dimensions  8’  x  2’6”  x  2’6”.
 Please  suggest  
 â€¢  If  using  12mm  glass  with  support  at  bottom  and  top  will  be  sufficient?
 â€¢  Can  I  further  increase  height  /  depth  with  12mm  glass?
 â€¢  For  filtration  if  I  should  use  two  Eheim  2217  or  one  Eheim  2080  pro  series.  
 â€¢  Heater  wattage?
 â€¢  Any  special  precaution  to  be  taken?     

Hello  Vikas,
 1.     12mm  would  be  fine  for  an  8’x2’x2’,  with  bracing  &  reinforcement.  15mm  is  what  I  would  recommend  at  minimum  for  the  size  you’ve  mentioned.
 2.     With  15mm  I  wouldn’t  recommend  further  increasing  the  height.  Besides  keep  in  mind  the  reach  ability  to  substrate  &  towards  the  back  during  maintenance  will  be  a  problem.  It  may  require  you  getting  in  to  do  the  Aquascaping  &  annual  maintenance.  
 3.     One  2080  should  be  fine  for  Biological  filtration.  Add  in  one  or  two  submersible  power  head  (1200lph)  to  give  better  water  Circulation.  Besides,  2080  itself  has  options  for  better  water  circulation.  With  two  2217’s  the  Aquarium  be  suffer  Biological  &  Mechanical  Filtration.  More  later.
 4.     4x300W  Heaters  may  be  used,  but  I  would  avoid  this  initially.  350Gallons  is  a  large  volume,  temperature  fluctuations  will  be  less.  IMPO,  you  can  cover  the  Aquarium’s  rear  &  side  panes  with  Styrofoam  (colour  it  black,  it  will  serve  as  a  background  too).  During  night  you  have  a  curtain  /  cloth  over  the  open  top  +  front  pane,  so  wind  doesn’t  blow  over  the  water  &  glass  directly.  Since  I’ve  not  seen  the  place,  if  the  Aquarium  is  in  an  enclosed  area,  covering  the  front  can  be  avoided.   
 5.     Other  Suggestions  beside  the  ones  explained  in  the  above  points
       5a.  Remember  the  Total  height  will  be  4.5’,  leaning  into  the  Aquarium  for  maintenance  will  also  be  cumbersome.  I  would  suggest  you  reduce  the  height  of  the  slab  to  1’,  with  a  total  height  of  about  3.5’  is  still  a  workable  position.  I’m  assuming  you  stand  at  least  5’8”  Unsure,  unless  someone  else  is  doing  the  maintenance  job  Smile
       5b.  Have  the  Storage  Cabinet  to  the  Side  of  the  Aquarium  &  install  the  filter  unit  at  the  same  level  as  the  Aquarium.  
       5c.  For  bracing  along  the  length  -  use  19mm  glass,  6”  wide.  Refer

You  are  the  best  judge.  All  the  best.  Thumb Up  
Gattu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:28 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  for  your  suggestions  Deepak.  I  will  use  15  mm  glass  and  2080  for  filtration.  I  will  be  starting  the  project  this  Saturday  and  I  am  looking  at  one  month  time  for  completing  complete  the  setup.  I  will  keep  you  posted  on  the  progress.

Regards,

Vikas
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 8:53 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Gattu[Vikas],

I  would  suggest  19  mm,  as  15  mm  is  unavailable  in  my  part  of  the  world,  and  was  guessing  thats  the  way  it  is  in  your  place  too.

And  19mm,  is  definitely  better,  because  you[or  someone  else]  will  have  to  get  in  and  work  in  the  tank,  and  then  climb  out.  Its  really  difficult  climbing  out,  without  touching  the  sides.  

And  I  believe  for  the  pressure  thats  generated  in  a  8  footer,  you  could  use  15mm  for  a  2  by  2  tank,  but  for  a  2.5  by  2.5  tank,  I  would  suggest  19mm.  Its  always  a  lot  better,  if  you  have  a  slightly  stronger  tank,  than  you  need.  If  its  slightly  weaker  or  just  right,  when  you  apply  pressure  on  some  side,  there  is  bound  to  be  a  problem.

One  more  thing,  dont  use  a  concrete  slab  for  the  cover  on  top.  If  you  have  very  less  clearance,  its  very  difficult  working  on  the  tank,  and  also  getting  yourself  in,  and  other  huge  decor  items  like  rocks/driftwood  etc  is  difficult  too.

You  could  use  the  green  net  kind  of  stuff  that  is  used  in  nurseries  to  cut  down  sunlight,  at  a  height  of  maybe  1.5  or  2  feet  from  the  water  surface,  or  tank  top.

For  filtration  you  could  build  an  overflow,  and  a  huge  sump.  Will  be  easy  to  clean/maintain,  and  also  more  economical.  For  some  good  filtration,  especially  for  heavy  eaters  like  the  fishes  you  are  planning,  a  bare  minimum  filtration  would  be  turning  your  water  5  times  an  hour.  Thats  about  4600  liters  per  hour.  You  would  need  2  Eheim  2260s  to  do  that  job  for  you,  especially  looking  at  the  huge  bio  load.

Instead,  you  can  have  2  overflows,  one  at  each  corner,  and  a  sump,  25  percent  the  volume  of  your  tank,  with  2  huge  bio  towers.  And  you  could  pump  back  the  water  with  an  Eheim  1262.  Maybe  if  the  flow  is  not  enough,  you  could  add  another  1262,  and  I  am  sure  you  will  be  happy  with  the  filtration.  You  could  use  powerheads  strategically  placed  to  kick  up  the  dirt  into  the  water  column,  so  it  will  ensure  that  the  muck  gets  picked  up  by  the  overflow.  

Hope  that  helps!
SunnyPaaji
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Clapping  
 great  info  nytyn,

While  building  the  tank  its  only  one  time  we  have  to  climb  through  tank  walls.  And  such  a  monster  tanks  does  not  need  regular  care  on  daily  basis.  preferebly  not  to   touch  the  setup  of  driftwoods/rocks.  Thumb Down  

All  such  tanks  need  good  filteration  and  proper  draining.  Fix  all  water  pipe  for  draining  and  pouring  the  water  into  tha  tank.  8  foot  tanks  carries  almost  1500  litres  of  water  and  you  need  atleast  500  litres  of  water  for  buffer  which  would  be  aged  one  while  changing  water.  Because  this  is  huge  tank  so  change  will  be  less  here.  
 And  if  tank  is  placing  in  front  of  sunlights  than  vaporisation  will  be  higher  so  regular  water  supply  is  must.  
 About  Temprature,  more  water  means  changing  temp  will  be  bit  slow.  so  dont  worry  about  high  temp  during  summer  but  in  winters,  you  need  good  heater.  I  recommend  atleast  3  heater  of  150  watts  in  different  walls  of  the  tank.  by  placing  heater  in  such  manners,  we  are  covering  the  heating  area  and  also  increasing  redundancy.  Make  sure  your  heaters  will  be  covered  with  plastic  frame  so  that  AG/redtail  catfish  can  not  break  the  heaters  while  playing  with  them.

You  can  use  blue  or  black  colour  for  tank's  bachground.  

Cheering  

Reply  if  any  queries
 Regards
 Sunny  Rathore
manju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 9:33 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

first  the  tank  dry  weight  will  be  approx.  176kg  for  19mm  glass  and  the  capacity  of  your  tank  is  of  906litres  and  including  the  internal  setting  the  overall  weight  will  be  approx  1.26  ton.

It  is  better  to  be  built  by  professions  than  an  amatuer.

It  is  better  you  go  for  a  toughened  glass  and  it  is  advisable  not  to  use  polished  surface  for  sticking  the  sealant,  as  the  coverup  area  in  polished  glass  will  be  of  very  less.
Gattu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

I  will  taking  help  from  a  professional  and  some  good  friends  to  make  the  tank;  however  it's  always  better  to  suggest  them  what  you  want;  as  they  just  want  to  make  money  and  are  not  looking  at  long  term  relations.  I  tried  to  look  for  19  mm  glass  today;  however  it's  not  avaliable  in  Faridabad  &  everyone  is  suggesting  to  get  it  from  Delhi.  Please  PM  me  the  cost  of  19mm  glass,  Eheim  2080  &  Jagar  150/300  W  heater.

Thanks,

Vikas
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 9:31 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

manju  wrote  (View  Post):                
It  is  better  you  go  for  a  toughened  glass  and  it  is  advisable  not  to  use  polished  surface  for  sticking  the  sealant,  as  the  coverup  area  in  polished  glass  will  be  of  very  less.                

Hi,

There's  no  doubt  that  toughened  glass  is  about  5  times  stronger  than  regular  glass,  but  don't  forget  it  can  cause  havoc  if  it  fails  for  some  reason.  I  personally  wouldn't  recommend  toughened  glass  for  Aquarium  purpose  -  because  when  it  fails  it  only  shatters.  You  won't  have  time  to  give  it  a  second  thought  to  take  corrective  action  -  neither  to  prevent  any  mishap  nor  save  the  livestock.  Regular  glass  on  the  other  hand,  it  develops  cracks  &  gives  you  some  time  to  take  corrective  action  /precautionary  measure.

My  personal  experience  with  Toughened  glass  -  
 I  was  once  cleaning  a  8mm  toughened  glass-  4'x3'.  After  cleaning  was  done  while  I  was  carrying  it  back  it  simply  shattered  for  no  reason  -  all  I  was  left  with  was  2-3  bruises  &  one  deep  cut  on  my  wrist,  it  just  explodes!

Any  glass  >8mm  thick  when  'hand  cut'  will  not  its  edge  at  ~90o,  it  therefore  requires  grinding  after  its  cut,  if  not  polishing.  For  glass  up  to  12mm  thick,  if  it's  machine  cut  the  edge  can  ~90o,  beyond  this  grinding  is  a  must  to  get  a  even  edge.  Too  much  or  too  little  of  Silicone  between  the  joints/glass  walls  is  not  good  for  various  reasons.
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:02 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

I  dont  know  about  the  cons  of  toughened  glass,  but  I  know  they  use  toughened  glass  for  most  tanks  for  the  bottom  sheet,  abraod.

Today  19  mm  costs  Rs.  235  per  sqft  in  my  small  town/village.  As  of  now  theres  no  availability  of  16mm,  and  also  24mm.  

Toughened  glass  generally  costs  2.5  to  3  times  the  cost  of  normal  glass  at  same  thickness.  So,  it  makes  it  pretty  expensive.  

For  glass,  go  to  the  biggest  glass  shop  in  town.  By  biggest  I  mean  the  glass  shop  that  does  the  most  sales.  He  is  more  likely  to  have  these,  as  most  common  applications  use  a  max  thickness  of  12  mm.  So,  as  this  does  not  move  pretty  fast,  they  dont  usually  stock  glass  thats  thicker  than  12mm.  And  they  dont  usually  order  in  small  quantities  like  the  amounts  we  need

I  would  suggest  19mm  all  sides  anyways.  A  little  thicker  and  stronger  than  what  you  need,  is  not  going  to  hurt.  And  think  of  it.  You  are  going  to  keep  this  tank  for  a  long  time,  right?  Its  better  to  make  it  strong  and  sturdy!
SunnyPaaji
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Thumbs Up  
 Agreed.  

Toughned  glass.,.,  Shocked   say  no  always  for  tank.  
 Best  way  to  find  out  the  good  glassware  house  is  just  google.

you  can  go  for  Modiguaurd  or  Saint  gobain  and  they  are  widely  available.
 In  Faridabad,  you  can  even  find  the  glass  factory  and  may  be  they  will  built  a  8ft  glass  sheet  for  you  on  order.  all  depends  on  dealing.  what  say.

only  glass  cost  will  be  Rs.20K  approx  in  19mm.  And  as  nitin  said  that  we  r  keeping  it  for  long  term  so  no  need  to  take  any  chances.

Regards
 Sunny  Thumbs Up
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 12:23 am Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

nytyn  wrote  (View  Post):                

I  would  suggest  19  mm,  as  15  mm  is  unavailable  in  my  part  of  the  world,  and  was  guessing  thats  the  way  it  is  in  your  place  too.  And  19mm,  is  definitely  better,  

And  I  believe  for  the  pressure  thats  generated  in  a  8  footer,  you  could  use  15mm  for  a  2  by  2  tank,  but  for  a  2.5  by  2.5  tank,  I  would  suggest  19mm.  Its  always  a  lot  better,  if  you  have  a  slightly  stronger  tank,  than  you  need.  If  its  slightly  weaker  or  just  right,  when  you  apply  pressure  on  some  side,  there  is  bound  to  be  a  problem.                

15mm  is  what  I  would  recommend  at  minimum.  I  wouldn't  recommend  a  19mm  only  because  15mm  is  not  easily  available.  Besides,  if  I  correctly  remember,  the  cost  difference  is  just  under  double.  I'll  try  to  confirm  current  cost  in  a  day  or  two.

As  per  my  experience  goes  -  I've  helped  someone  with  8'x2'x2'  made  in  12mm,  its  intact  for  the  past  14years.  It  sits  tight  on  2"  Cudappa  slab  &  Siporex  blocks,  no  cementing  except  that  used  for  leveling  the  surface  before  placing  the  Cudappa  on  the  Siporex  blocks.  No  leakages  till  date.

If  one  can  afford  to  pay  the  extra  bit  for  additional  safety  -  go  for  it.  Just  make  sure  that  the  clarity  of  glass  is  not  compromised.

I've  recently  done  a  10.5'x5'x1.5'.  I'd  recommended  Clear  glass  on  3  sides,  but  the  client  wanted  to  save  cost  &  opted  for  Regular  glass.  Results  -  The  water  looked  hazy  &  we  could  barely  see  across  the  length.  The  Clear  glass  has  arrived  &  the  re-construction  is  yet  to  be  scheduled.
Gattu
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:31 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Hi  Depak,  
 What  is  the  diffrence  between  normal  glass  and  clear  glass?  What's  the  cost  difference  between  the  two?

Thanks,
 Vikas
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:48 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Hi  vikas!Did  you  go  through  the  ply-tank  option/thread?,works  wonders  on  the  pocket.Much  stronger  than  any  all-glass  tank.Do  consider  all  options.Madan's  is  a  tank  currently  working(to  the  best  of  my  knowledge)He  did  have  some  niggling  problems,but  you  can  overcome  those(thats  what  IAH  is  for!).I  currently  have  a  ply  tank(7x2.5x2.5ft)  running  for  a  good  4  years.I  did  have  a  mild  scare  initially,but  it  was  a  false  alarm,no  problems  yet.Re-allocate  the  all  glass  funds  for  filtration/nice  fish  Very Happy
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 6:51 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Gattu  wrote  (View  Post):                
What  is  the  diffrence  between  normal  glass  and  clear  glass?  What's  the  cost  difference  between  the  two?                

With  Clear  glass  the  green  tinge  is  absent  &  has  more  clarity.  The  cost  difference  is  close  to  ~4times.

If  at  all  you  intend  to  use  clear  glass,  use  only  on  viewing  panes.
SunnyPaaji
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 7:48 pm Post subject: Re: Help need for building 8 foot tank Reply with quote

Thumbs Up  

just  to  keep  updated  on  this  conversation  ...  yes,   Ply  tank  are  4  times  stronger  than  glass  and  easy  to  handle  without  any  hassle  if  made  properly.  personally;  I  would  be  more  inclined  to  get  thicker  glass.
 I  can  imagine  the  play  tank  having  three  walls,  one  in  front  and  two  are  on  sides.  And  hey  you  can  choose  better  glass  like  19mm  clear  glass  and  all  that  will  come  into  your  budget  .   Cheering  

What  say  .

Regards
 Sunny  Rathore
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: