206. Guest
207. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - why price discussion is not allowed
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

why price discussion is not allowed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Want to Buy - Hobbyist Only
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:00 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Say,  you  want  to  buy  a  gravel  cleaner  and  you  live  in  Koramangala.  The  LFS  there  charges  you  80  bucks  for  it.  The  Malleshwaram  LFS  price  is  50  bucks.  Would  you  spend  about  3  hours  to  drive  down  to  Malleshwaram  from  Koramangala  to  save  30  bucks?

I  agree  for  larger  equipment,  your  LFS  might  turn  out  to  be  expensive.  That's  why  we  are  here  for  you.  Like  Trevor  mentioned,  post  it  on  the  Want  to  Buy  forum  and  you  will  get  a  host  of  replies.

P.S:  Add  your  name  to  the  signature  -  I  personally  don't  prefer  calling  people  by  their  ID  (MRP123  -  Maximum  Retail  Price  ???)  Take  it  light-hearted,  buddy.
dominic01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 7:32 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

First  of  all  hats  off  to  the  IAH  team.  I  am  a  frequent  visitor  to  IAH  for  the  past  three  years  and  I  can't  compare  your  contribution  to  this  hobby  to  anything  else.  I  really  appreciate  your  time.  

To  the  original  poster  (Mrp123)  I  understand  your  concerns  "why  price  discussion  is  not  allowed?".  Actually  he  would  like  to  know  where  to  get  things  cheaper.  I  have  been  in  this  situation  many  times.  We  dont  get  such  answers  here.  

My  suggestion  to  IAH  would  be  to  start  an  Auction  site  in  this  domain.  I  used  to  be  frequest  visitor  to  Aquabid.com  and  I  bought  lot  of  items  from  there  during  1998-2003.   But  I've  never  been  to  that  site  for  the  past  4  years..  i.e  after  my  move  to  Chennai.  Sellers  can  participare  and  buyers  may  get  a  good  deal  sometimes.  IAH  may  get  a  commission  for  above  certain  amount  of  transactions.
SunnyPaaji
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

We  can  get  an  idea  by  differentiating  the  price  of  Gold  fish.
 About  LFS,they  charge  according  to  the  area  where  they  are  situated  in  many  cases.
 Many  things  depends  like  Size,  breed  ,  health  &  colour  of  the  fish.  

@Tirtha,
 You  can  ask  me  at  any  time  about  the  good  LFS  in  delhi  &  NCR.
 I  will  take  you  to  their  shops  one  day  and  you  can  feel  the  difference  here.

but  sometimes,  good  LFS  may  be  situated  far  away  from  our  area  so  its  better  to  make  deal  with  your  local  LFS.

About  Pricing  in  IAH,
 As  everybody  said,  you  will  get  PM  of  your  demanded  price  but  in  open,  its  not  the  gud  way  to  tell  everybody  as  we  are  not  doing  any  business  here.

So  guys,  just  feel  the  IAH  and  try  to  grab  knowledge  from  experts  here,  one  day  you  will  be  expert  and  no  one  can  cheat  you.  i  bet.

Without  learning  you  cant  take  test  of  anyone  na.

-Sunny
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:07 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

now,  first  of  all  we  are  not  here  to  conduct  the  market  we  are  here  to  ensure  free  knowledge  to  hobbyists  who  care!
 Another  valid  point  is  each  and  every  business  concern  will  have  a  policy  of  their  own  and  they  should  be  smart  enough  to  understand  how  they  should  go  about  doing  their  business  they  can  either  be  interested  in  a  long  term  relationship  or  the  fast  buck!
 Secondly,  as  others  have  suggested  each  LFS  has  varying  amount  of  overhead  expenses  and  they  like  wise  devise  their  sales  policy  (which  includes  the  MRP  also).
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:13 am Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Quote:                
@Tirtha,  
 You  can  ask  me  at  any  time  about  the  good  LFS  in  delhi  &  NCR.  
 I  will  take  you  to  their  shops  one  day  and  you  can  feel  the  difference  here.                

@Sunny:  I  am  surfing  those  LFS  you  are  talking  about  for  a  long  time  even  before  you  have  started  your  hobby  in  Gurgaon.  But  they  all  are  different  side  of  the  same  coin.  There  is  no  price  compare  of  Delhi  and  NCR  with  other  parts  of  India.  This  is  the  only  reason  all  the  serious  aquarists  are  depending  on  Banglore,  Chennai  and  Mumbai  dealers  than  Delhi  LFS.

Quote:                
now,  first  of  all  we  are  not  here  to  conduct  the  market  we  are  here  to  ensure  free  knowledge  to  hobbyists  who  care!                  

100%  agree  with  you.  If  anyone  can  stay  in  IAH  for  2  months  regularly,  for  sure  he  will  be  able  to  learn  a  lot  and  also  will  get  to  know  where  to  knock  to  get  good  stuffs.  This  site  is  100%  worth  reading  and  also  dynamic  as  well.
surya_niki
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:56 am Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi  MRP,

I  agree  with  most  of  them  on  not  discussing  prices  on  IAH  as  this  forum  is  99.9%  dedicated  in  helping  fellow  and  new  hobbyist  on  the  knowledge  of  fish  keeping  and  setting  the  right  environment  for  your  wet  pets,  which  travel  a  long  journey  from  different  parts  of  the  world.

I  can’t  say  how  sorry  I  feel  for  you  on  being  cheated  by  the  traders.  I  too  have  seen  some  steep  prices  for  different  thing.  

I  remember  that  I  used  to  by  20  ghost  shrimps  for  10  rs  6  months  ago  but  on  my  recent  visit  to  a  new  LFS  (close  to  my  place)  I  saw  that  the  same  shrimps  are  sold  for  50rs  a  pair.  

Can’t  help  seeing  people  buy  this  in  front  of  my  eyes!  Now  can  I  blame  the  LFS  guy?  No,  as  what  he  is  doing  is  just  business.  

Hence  my  reply  to  you  will  be  that  of  Trevor's  &  Pradeep’s  which  is;  try  to  meet  the  fellow  hobbyist  during  the  weekends  at  ASK  and  you  have  the  solution.

To  Begin  with,  if  you  need  any  help  feel  free  to  call  me.

Regards,
 Surya
Amar
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Thanks  Surya.  I'll  definitely  ping/call  you  Smile.
joyban

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

May  be  we  should  have  a  MRP  List  of  all  the  live  stock  &  Equipment  &  Food  Available  that  way  it  will  be  a  guidance  that  you  should  not  be  paying  more  than  that  amount  to  the  LFS  in  that  city.  One  can  negotiate  and  get  better  rates  than  the  MRP  mentioned.  But  the  Ornamental  Fish  Trade  is  very  dynamic  and  price  depends  on  so  many  volatile  factors  ...  ;-)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:44 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

joyban  wrote  (View  Post):                
May  be  we  should  have  a  MRP  List  of  all  the  live  stock  &  Equipment  &  Food  Available  that  way  it  will  be  a  guidance  that  you  should  not  be  paying  more  than  that  amount  to  the  LFS  in  that  city.  One  can  negotiate  and  get  better  rates  than  the  MRP  mentioned.  But  the  Ornamental  Fish  Trade  is  very  dynamic  and  price  depends  on  so  many  volatile  factors  ...  ;-)                

That's  a  good  idea,  in  a  fashion.  If  we  were  allowed  put  up  a  thread  which  contains  pricing  of  the  last  aquarium  item  we  bought  and  its  pricing,  that  would  be  pretty  good  as  a  guide.  This  would  probably  very  quite  a  bit  from  city  to  city,  so  city  location  muct  be  included.
 Dealer  location  could  be  pmed  if  necessary.
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:51 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 Well  i  agree  with   the  seniors  that  this  is  a  forum  available  purely  to  build  your  knowledge  about  the  hobby,  get  useful  tips  and  correct  your  misconceptions  and  mistakes.

Ok  let  us  assume  that  the  Admin  does  allow  the  forum  to  have  Price  discussions,  well  in  that  case  the  people  who  have  issues  of  varied  pricing  at  the  LFS  will  have  the  same  problem  with  the  prices  mentioned  here  as  well  and  
 the  same  people  will  comment  saying  that  they  saw  the  same  or  similar  product  at  an  LFS  for  cheaper  and  that  is  where  the  problem  will  start.

Again  Mr  MRP123  firstly  it  would  be  nice  if  you  cordially  introduced  yourself   with  a  name  and  discuss  your  problem  with  the  members  here,  with  regards  to  prices  your  welcome  to  PM  or  call  any  of  us  and  we  will  be  glad  to  help.
Mrp123
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

mayurdev  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  All,
 Ok  let  us  assume  that  the  Admin  does  allow  the  forum  to  have  Price  discussions,  well  in  that  case  the  people  who  have  issues  of  varied  pricing  at  the  LFS  will  have  the  same  problem  with  the  prices  mentioned  here  as  well  and  
 the  same  people  will  comment  saying  that  they  saw  the  same  or  similar  product  at  an  LFS  for  cheaper  and  that  is  where  the  problem  will  start.

Again  Mr  MRP123  firstly  it  would  be  nice  if  you  cordially  introduced  yourself   with  a  name  and  discuss  your  problem  with  the  members  here,  with  regards  to  prices  your  welcome  to  PM  or  call  any  of  us  and  we  will  be  glad  to  help.                

Hi  mayurdev,
 I  am  Manas  from  Bangalore.  My  friends   call  me  as  MRP  (short  form  of  my  full  name).

>>the  people  who  have  issues  of  varied  pricing  at  the  LFS  will  have  the  same  problem  with  the  prices  mentioned  here  as  well  and  

I  donot  think  this  is  a  problem  .Its  a  notification  that  says  "hey  there  is  something  at   cheaper  rate  available  than  the  mentioned  rate  ".  Then  we  can  update  the  guide  with  the  latest/cheapest   price  (I  know  this  is  a  difficult  task  but  why  not  give  it  a  try).  I  don't  think  somebody  will  crib   that   why  mentioned  price  is  more  than  the  available  price.  As  I  know/everybody  knows   in  AIH  we  are  not  doing  business  we  just  wanted  to  quota  the  approx  cost  of  a  accessories  which  will  help  people  to  decide  whether  he  is  buying  at  reasonable  rate  or  not..
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:19 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi  Manas  
 Welcome  to  IAH,

Well  this  is  a  forum  where  you  can  discuss  your  problems,  what  ever  it  may  be,  and  even  if  it  about  "why  price  discussion  is  not  allowed"  well  weather  to  allow  this  discussion  or  not  is  solely  the  discretion  of  the  ADMIN,

As  far  as  the  issue  of  prices  goes,  pls  do  post   a  list  of  things  that  you  want  or  need  to  know  the  price  for  and  i  will  gladly  PM  you  the  prices  that  i  think  are  the  best   and  i  am  sure  a  lot  of  other  members  will  also  guide  you.
 And  you  can  get  a  clear  picture  as  to  what  you  would  want  to  buy  and  from  where.

Also  it  will  be  nice  if  you  could  tell  us  how  long  you  have  been  in  the  hobby,  what  kind  of  fish  do  you  keep,  what  your  future  interests  with  respect  to  the  hobby  are  so  on  and  so  forth.

Warm  Regards
Mrp123
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:27 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Thanks  Buddy,

Here  is  my  list  
 1.180-200  lts  imported  tank  (if  it  comes  with  lighting  and  filter  its  good  otherwise  cost  of  lighting  and  filters)
 2.  Good  fish  food  for  flower  horn

I  think  this  is  good  to  start  with  .

Regarding  my  hobby,  You  can  say  I  am  new  to  this  hobby  (1  your  old).

-mrp
shanpuru
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,

The  following  is  not  applicable  for  fishes  or  live  stuffs.

Only  for  accessories.

There  was  a  discussion  on  the  Yahoo  Group  -  A-S-K  for  checking  out  the  lowest  price  for  a  particular  Frontier  Make  -  Timer  Model.

All  members  who  had  purchased  one  where  to  give  details  on  price  and  vendor  details.

Then  I  guess  somebody  in  each  city  negotiated  with  one  supplier  in  that  city  to  provide  at  the  above  derived  price.

It  was  win  win  situation  for  all.

I  hope  this  can  be  extended  to  other  products  too.  

This  however  will  not  apply  to  live  items  as  size/shape/color  and  other  factors  etc  will  vary.

Shankar
Reddevil
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:25 pm Post subject: Re: why price discussion is not allowed Reply with quote

Mrp123  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  Buddy,

Here  is  my  list  
 1.180-200  lts  imported  tank  (if  it  comes  with  lighting  and  filter  its  good  otherwise  cost  of  lighting  and  filters)
 2.  Good  fish  food  for  flower  horn

I  think  this  is  good  to  start  with  .

Regarding  my  hobby,  You  can  say  I  am  new  to  this  hobby  (1  your  old).

-mrp                

Hi  Manas,
                     I  have  exactly  the  tank  you  are  looking  for  with  lighting  and  filters  in  box  packing.  Willing  to  get  rid  of  it  at  a  throwaway  price.  Please  provide  your  mobile  number  and  your  location  in  Bangalore.
 It  will  also  help  point  you  to  the  best  source  of  flower  horn  food  in  your  area.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Want to Buy - Hobbyist Only All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: