143. Guest
144. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,897

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Please help - Discus unwell -
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Please help - Discus unwell -
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 2:17 pm Post subject: Please help - Discus unwell - Reply with quote

Tank  size  36  X  15  X  18
 5  discus  around  2"  size
 First  they  were  not  eating  since  bought  5  days  back...almost  five  days  of  starvation.  Tried  sera  and  tetra  bits  .  Yesterday  fed  them  blood  worms..(tried  all  dried  foods  earlier).  For  first  time  they  ate  something.  Yesterday  evening  did  water  change(about  33  %).  Made  mistake  that  I  put  extra  dechlorine  liquid  while  doing  that.  (about  3  bottle  cover  as  LFS  adviced  since  he  said  many  times  this  liquid  is  diluted  and  adding  extra  wont  do  harm)
 After  some  time  water  became  whitish.  Couple  of  hours  later  fishes  were  at  top.  Lying  at  around  45  d  C.  even  if  they  go  to  bottom,  find  it  difficult  to  stay  vertical.  Suddenly  they  swim  for  half  minute  and  back  to  same  thing  again.
 In  morning  water  became  clear  but  fish  are  same.  They  are  not  eating  fodd(tetrabits)  anyway.  Just  put  little  bit  to  test  it..  In  morning  again  made  25  %  water  change.This  time  only  some  drops  of  dechorinator.  Added  two  spoon  salt  and  2  tablets  of  terramycin.  Have  covered  tank  from  all  sides  except  one.  They  are  not  responding.  Even  if  I  take  hand  near  to  them,  they  are  hardly  responding.  Just  lying  there.  Is  there  any  hope?
 Please  help...If  anybody  has  some  idea,  please  contact  me  on  mobile  9819353984
 Thanks  in  advance
 Ashutosh

Last edited by theash on Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:18 pm Post subject: Re: Discus unwell - lying on side - Urgent help please Reply with quote

Dear  Ashutosh
 Sorry  to  hear  your  fishes  conditions.  From  this  point  you  must  made  in  your  mind  -not  use  dechlorinizer  directly  to  your  tank  rather  than  use  as  per  directions  in  a  bucket  o/drum  of  water.
 Now  test  the  Ph  of  the  tank  first.Adjust  the  Thermostat  30-31c  and  dont  try  to  feed  your  discuss-  they  will  not  died  by  starvation.Try  to  cover  the  tank  by  using  a  bed  shits,  so  that  the  discusses  became  stress  free.
 Perdon  me  I  m  not  a  discuss  expert,however  as  an  ordinary  aquarist  i  think  you  will  get  positive  results  if  you  follow  the  above  said  points.
 Meanwhile  I  request  expert  Iah  members  to  help  Ashutosh  at  this  dire  straight  conditions.
 Thanks  and  hope  for  the  best  to  happens.
 Regards
 Kaushik
Prasun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 3:45 pm Post subject: Re: Discus unwell - lying on side - Urgent help please Reply with quote

IMMEDIATE  (already  you  are  too  late)  change  water  as  much  as  (near  to  100%)  possible,  and  add  2tbs  salt  (non  iodised)  per  every  10gallon  of  water....no  need  to  use  antibiotic.
 I'm  sure  that  there  is  something  wrong  in  your  antichlorine  liquid.  Please  do  not  use  that  liquid  any  more.  Why  you  are  not  using  Sodium  Thiosulphate  crystal  to  make  antichlorine  stock  solution?

Rgds,
 Prasun  Roy
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:01 pm Post subject: Re: Discus unwell - lying on side - Urgent help please Reply with quote

I  agree  with  Prasun  completely.  Sodium  Thiosulphate  is  an  excellent  dechlorinizer  -  1  crystal  or  one  drop  can  dechlorinize  30  litres  of  water.
 Regards
 Kaushik
raja_sing
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:25 pm Post subject: Re: Discus unwell - lying on side - Urgent help please Reply with quote

Answer  the  following  Questions  which  will  help  our  Gurus  and  Experts  help  you  in  proper  manner
 1.What  Type  of  filter  you  are  using
 2.  Did  the  water  was  conditioned  before  you  introduced  the  discus
 3.  Did  You  used  stress  coat  in  your  tank  before  introducing  them
 4.  did  you  tried  BHM
vij007
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: Discus unwell - lying on side - Urgent help please Reply with quote

Ashutosh,

a  suggestion  from  my  side.

Please  buy  a  water  storage  container(preferably  of  100  -  200  ltrs  capacity)  and  put  an  aerator  in  it.  store  the  water  for  a  couple  of  days  before  adding  it  to  the  main  tank.Never  add  any  antibioticsto  the  main  tank.  have  a  small  hospital  tank  to  treat  the  fishes  when  they  are  sick.  do  not  try  to  feed  them  in  this  condition.  a  couple  of  days  of  starvation  will  not  do  them  any  harm.  
 never  atreat  the  fish  with  antibiotics.
 as  already  mentioned  in  the  earlier  replies,  add  Sodium  Thiosulphate  to  the  storage  tank.pls  do  throw  away  the  liquid  you  have.  

Please  do  revert  if  you  need  any  more  help.

Vijay
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:24 pm Post subject: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  help.  Got  couple  of  SMS  as  well  immediately  on  Saturday.

Today's  Update.

Out  of  5  discus,  three  look  normal  (visually).  They  are  moving  around.  4th  one  is  moving  but  his  fins  are  not  erect  ,  they  looks  more  flat.  Fifth  one(red  map)  is  sitting  at  a  corner  and  swims  once  in  a  while.  He  is  the  one  most  affected  but  now  is  not  lying  flat  but  stays  semi  veritcal  taking  support  of  tank  wall.  Overall  there  is  good  improvement  compared  to  2  days  back  situation.

After  discussion  with  couple  of  people,  I  was  adviced  not  to  do  water  change  as  the  dechlorine  liquid  (if  added  more)  make  water  whitish  but  does  not  really  harm  fishes.

As  suggested  by  Aditya,  on  Saturday  I  reduced  the  water  to  half  so  that  medicine/salt  would  be  more  cost  effective.  So  tank  is  now  half  full  say  around  16g.  Added  couple  of  spoon  sault  ,  1  teaspoon  epsom  sault  and  2  tablets  of  500  mg  terramycin.  Set  temp  to  30  degree.  By  yesterday(Sunday)  most  of  them  were  on  thier  feet(fins).

Doing  around  4g  water  change  daily(20%)  for  last  two  days.  New  water  is  added  with  sault  and  epsom  sault  to  maintain  concentration.  I  am  not  doing  heavy  water  change  as  temperature  in  Mumbai  Suburbs  has  dropped  a  lot  and  fear  50%  or  more  water  change  may  again  lead  to  temperature  issue.

As  far  as  food  is  concerned,  its  a  week  now  and  having  trouble  feeding  them.  Tried  tetra  bits,  sera  discus  granules  and  couple  of  times  very  little  blood  worms  (just  to  prevent  them  getting  weak  completely)  have  been  tried.  Yesterday  tried  with  goat  heart.  (Just  grinded  it  and  freezed  it  without  any  other  ingredients  as  it  was  my  first  attempt)

Eating  situation  as  under  
 Marlbro(around  2  1/2  ",  he  is  biggest  of  all)  -  does  not  eat  at  all.  But  still  active  with  fins  erect.  Did  not  eat  tera  bits,  blood  worm  or  goat  heart  mix.

Rest  all  below  are  (around  1  1/2  -  2"  )
 Red  Melon  -  Eats  anything  everything  from  day  one.  Looks  most  pleasing  and  active.  Touch  wood.

Red  Passion  -  Was  unwell  since  the  day  I  bought  him  sitting  at  a  corner  alone  with  heavy  breathing.  Ate  very  liitle  tetra  bits  only  after  3  days  but  very  little.  Ate  little  of  GHM  yesterday  but  not  today  when  I  fed  again  in  morning.

Red  Map  -  Was  most  beautiful  when  bought.  Eating  less  but  something  of  everyhing  till  he  became  unwell  couple  of  days  back  and  is  currently  weakest  of  lot.  Ate  little  GHM  yesterday  but  not  again  today.

Blue  diamod  -  Was  Ok  till  couple  of  days.  Did  not  go  for  tetra  bits  but  ate  blood  worms  and  bit  of  GHM  yesterday.  Again  did  not  eat  it  today.

When  we  (me  and  my  wife..thnks  her  for  all  the  help  during  last  some  days)  prepared  GHM  yesterday  we  had  lots  of  hope  that  now  these  will  jump  on  it  like  pigs  but  were  disappointed.  4  went  to  eat  it  but  mostly  were  biting  it  and  throwing  power  out  of  mouth.  Do  discus  it  like  that  only?  Even  tetr  bits  I  have  observed  same  with  red  mealon.  But  for  tetra  bits,  he  was  again  going  and  eating  the  powder  after  some  time.  Here  that  was  not  the  case.  Lot  of  small  tiny  pieces/powder  was  left  on  floor  untouched  till  morning  when  I  did  water  change.

Marlbro  did  not  eat  even  little  bit.  Wonder  whats  he  upto.  Any  idea  how  many  day  discus  can  stay  without  food  and  still  look  normal  and  active.  

Sorry  for  the  lengthy  post.  Just  wanted  to  apprise  you  all  so  that  someone  can  help  better.
Prasun
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

can  any  one  please  tell  me  what  type  of  antichlorine  liquid  makes  the  water  whitish  if  added  more?

Regds,
 Prasun  Roy
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 1:33 pm Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

The  one  I  am  using  is  the  one  that  is  avl  in  small  white  platic  bottle  in  LFS.  It  is  labeled  as  White  -o-liquid.
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 10:45 am Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Changed  20  %  water  yesterday.
 New  water  with  sault  and  epsom  sault.
 Three  look  good  now.  Two  still  not  OK  but  better  than  previous  condition.
 Its  10th  day  in  row  that  one  of  them  has  not  eaten  anything  but  still  looks  externally  OK.
moonwalker
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:44 am Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Dear,

dont  worry  about  discus.they  are  very  choosy.they  dont  adopt  surrounding  atmophere  imme  after  they  were  introduce  and  they  dont  accept  food  also  for  some  time.but  they  can  live  without  food  for  15  days  above.

what  is  your  tank  water  temparature.u  should  ve  use  20l  RO  water  for  first  introduction.best  thing  to  eliminate  chlorine  is  make  the  water  old  dont  use  too  much  dechlorinators.even  i  use  corporation  water  but  i  store  water  for  three  days  befor  every  water  change.

i  ve  a  discus  tank  of  5  pairs.before  them  i  lost  2  pairs  because  l  dont  know  the  discus  needs  that  time  now  i  am  comfortable  with  my  buddies  now  they  are  6"  each.
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:51 pm Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Tank  temp  is  at  30  D  C
 What  is  RO  water?
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Dear  theash

Quote:                
What  is  RO  water?                

RO  stands  for  'Reverse  Osmosis'  a  water  purifying  process.
 Regards
 Kaushik
moonwalker
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 02, 2008 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Update on Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

in  usual  terms  mineral  water  available  in  20  to  25  litres  for  Rs  40
theash
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2008 11:40 am Post subject: Please help - Discus unwell - lying on side Reply with quote

Changed  20  %  water  yesterday.  
 Three  look  good  now.  Two  still  not  OK.  When  I  was  checking  on  internet  symptoms  (lying  on  bottom,  brushing  against  filter,  not  eating)  look  like  white  spot  deases  but  even  after  closely  observing  for  almost  an  hour,  I  could  not  see  white  spots  on  body.   Should  I  anyway  go  ahead  and  treat  for  this  deaseas?
 If  yes,  what  is  treatment  and  where  will  I  get  the  medicine?
 Is  it  Ok  to  treat  them  along  with  other  3  normal  fishes  as  I  do  not  have  additional  tank  as  of  now.

Please  help
Post new topic  This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: