110. Guest
111. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Kickstart a ADA tank at an economical rate.12 July update
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Kickstart a ADA tank at an economical rate.12 July update
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquascaping
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harsh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Since  this  is  a  tutorial  kind  of  a  thread  i'd  like  to  add  a  few  thumb  rules  or  principles  regarding  layout  that  i  like  to  adhere  to:  

1.  Light  coloured  sand  looks  good  as  it  contrasts  with  the  plants.  
 2.  Arrange  hardscape  and  plants  so  as  to  provide  good  contrast  of  light  and  dark.  
 3.  Red  plants  don't  look  pleasing  in  the  middle.  
 4.  Try  to  use  rocks  with  round  edges,  sharp  edges  look  unnatural.  
 5.  If  you  don't  like  the  classic  slope  rising  from  front  to  back,  slope  from  near  the  middle  rising  towards  the  two  back  corners  is  a  good  alternative.  
 6.  Plant  all  groups  in  odd  numbers.  
 7.  Broad  leaved  plants  should  generally  be  placed  near  the  edges  while  fine  leaved  in  the  center.  
 8.  Plan  on  placing  crypts  where  the  substrate  is  deep.  
 9.  use  moss  on  rocks  to  make  edges  blend,  of  planted  and  open  substrate  areas.  
 10.  stem  plants  should  be  planted  2-3  at  a  time.  
 11.  Use  smaller  pebbles  (mossed  up)  around  edges  of  larger  rocks.  
 12.  try  to  keep  stuff  unsymmetrical.  

Disclaimer:  I  didn't  come  up  with  these.  Read  them  in  some  forum  and  it  kind  of  got  stuck,  in  my  head.

And  this  is  a  very  crucial  point,  -  Choose  your  fish  very,  very  carefully.  Nothing  fvcks  up  a  layout  like  stirring  the  tank  with  your  net.
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 2:46 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Hi  Harsh,
 This  is  a  post  to  help  hobbiest  who  have  bought  ADA  or  would  like  to  use  it  in  the  future.
 The  initiative  taken  by  Mr  Trevor  to  write  this  article  was  inspired  by  hobbiest  who  are  interested  in  using  the  product.
 We  have  been  using  regular  latrite,  substrate  and  have  seen  the  results  to  be   good  and  a  link  to  the  same  has  been  provided  by  Mr  Trevor  in  this  thread  itself.
 This  is  for  you  to  see  and  Mr.  Trevor  has  clearly  mentioned  that  this  is  the  thread  to  go  through  for  hobbyist  who  DO  NOT  WANT  TO  USE  ADA
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4712&sid=201bceea33a69cdd7488b1caf3e4a3ec

Just  to  add  to  your  suggestions  each  species  of  plant  need  a  different  quality  of  substrate  as  they  need  different  levels  of  nutrition.  So  to  just  use  gravel  and  Fertilizers  that  are  available  of  the  shelf,  may  not  be  as  helpful.

As  for  the  planting  guidelines  they  are  great,  it  will  be  better  though  is  you  could  add  some  pictures  as  well.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

I  kind  of  disagree  with  you  in  some  points  over  there,  Harsh.
 I  am  all  for  the  DIY  and  economy  way  but  sometimes  its  just  not  possible  to  do  the  setup  you  have  in  mind  that  way.  
 I  still  find  it  amazing  that  people  will  blow  a  wad  on  2217s,  expensive  CO2  kits,  VHO  lighting  and  totally  skimp  on  substrate.  

In  this  case  though,  the  ADA  subtrate  gives  you  the  extra  boost  for  certain  plants.  I  myself  have  been  totally  stumped  by  HC  and  hairgrass   (although  my  Madagascar  Lace  is  flourishing).  A  similar  setup  in  Trevor's  place  has  hairgrass  growing  like  weed(s).
 Speaking  for  myself,  I  have  seen  the  diffrence  it  can  do  to  a  tank.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 9:10 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Hi  Harsh,
            I  do  not  mind  you  taking  over  the  thread.  You  are  welcome  to  take  this  thread  to   its  end  with  a  logical  conclusion.

But  its  better  if  you  will  back  it  with  your  own  practical  experience  and  photographs.

Posting  something  you  read  somewhere  on  the  internet  will  not  help  since  all  our  members  are  also  ace  surfers.  Smile  

No  hard  feelings.  Please  do  continue.  Thumb Up
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:16 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

4.  Try  to  use  rocks  with  round  edges,  sharp  edges  look  unnatural.  Â 
 11.  Use  smaller  pebbles  (mossed  up)  around  edges  of  larger  rocks  

These  three  points  are  absolute  nonsense.  

Â Nobody  here  is  forcing  you  to  use  ADA.  If  you  can  afford  it  do  it  that  is  all.  But  donot  give  wrong  comments  about  a  product  that  you  have  not  used.  Reading  somewhere  on  net  and  then  commenting  about  a  product  that  you  have  not  used  is  not  at  all  correct  because  there  are  so  many  people  who  are  using  ADA  soil  here  in  India  and  has  practically  seen  the  benefits  of  it  over  
 other  substrate.  

No  hard  feelings  please   Smile  

Regards,

Sridhar.P
harsh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 04, 2008 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Why  is  everyone  writing  'No  hard  feelings?!?!  why  would  there  be  any?   Smile  

I  agree  that  i've  never  used  ADA  stuff,  but  the  total  disregard  for  other  people's  comments/reviews,  that  i've  read  and  followed,  is  absolutely  wrong.  I  am  sure  the  'ace  surfers'  here  too,  must've  come  across  issues  that  i  mentioned,  while  surfing.  And  i  think  that  i  clearly  mentioned  to  'keep  the  price  in  mind  while  reading';  By  that  i  implied  that  for  the  price,  i  personally  would  want  the  soil  to  not  have  such  issues.  I  am  not  wrongly  bashing  ADA  soil  which  people  are  assuming,  i  know  that  it  is  one  the  best,  if  not  the  best,  commercial  substrates  out  there.  I  just  feel  that  it  is  overpriced.  

Trevor,  I  am  not  trying  to  takeover  or  take  this  thread  to  any  end..  I  just  posted  what  i  felt  about  the  substrate.  But  since  a  lot  of  people  here  have  good  reviews  about  the  soil  am  tempted  to  try  it  next  time  and  see  for  myself.

Shridhar  Ji,  i'd  say  that  is  a  personal  preference  thing  but  calling  something  nonsense  which  makes  a  lot  of  sense  to  a  lot  of  people  including  me  is  Rude.  Nobody  is  forcing  you  to  use  those  techniques.

Last edited by harsh on Sat Jan 05, 2008 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:31 am Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

sridharp77  wrote  (View  Post):                
 4.  Try  to  use  rocks  with  round  edges,  sharp  edges  look  unnatural.  Â 
 11.  Use  smaller  pebbles  (mossed  up)  around  edges  of  larger  rocks  

These  three  points  are  absolute  nonsense.  

As  far  as  I  can  remember,  not  only  the  3  points,  but  all  the  points  mentioned  by  Harsh  is  told  by  Mr.  Amano  only,  in  2006  AGA  Contest  speech.  Either  on  Plantedtank.net  or  in  APC,  there  is  a  thread  containing  the  zist  of  the  speech  with  these  points.  I  will  try  to  post  the  link  if  I  can  find  it  out.  

We  should  not  say  nonsense,  any  of  these  point,  as  it's  completely  based  on  personal  preferences.  And  may  be  all  the  points  are  meaningfull,  but  we  don't  know  them  really.  Cause  I  think  99.99%  of  us  trying  to  do  aquascaping  without  knowing  the  rules  of  photography  and  nature  scaping  (I  think  we  all  are  running  behind  Golden  ratio  and  Focal  point  only  when  we  are  trying  to  do  some  scaping.  Smile  ).  

And  please,  no  hard  feelings.  Smile
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:40 am Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Am  sorry.  It  was  on  2004  AGA  Convention.  And  below  is  the  link.

http://www.plantedtank.net/articles/Aquascaping-Principles-and-Technique/27/
issokayireloaded
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 2:04 am Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Just  an  observation  -  but  this  thread  is  gone  totally  haywire  it  seems,  without  the  setup  of  the  tank  everyone  is  piling  on.  
 Lets  see  the  progression  of  the  planted  tank  please  -  isn't  that  the  aim  of  the  thread?
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

This  is  the  plant  list.

Anubias  barteri  var  nana  'Petite'
 Anubias  barteri  var  nana  'Yellow  Heart'
 Blyxa  japonica
 Bolbitis  heudelotii  
 Ceratopteris  thalictroides  (Water  Sprite)
 Cryptocoryne  'balansae'
 Cryptocoryne  retrospiralis
 Cryptocoryne  undulata  'Red'
 Cryptocoryne  wendtii  'green  gecko'
 Cryptocoryne  wendtii  'Tropica'
 Echinodorus  angustifolius
 Eleocharis  parvula,  Dwarf  Hairgrass
 Eleocharis  vivipara
 Hygrophila  corymbosa  'Compact'
 Lilaeopsis  brasiliensis
 Ludwigia  inclinata  var.  verticillata  'Cuba'
 Microsorum  pteropus  'Philippine'
 Roripa  Aquatica
 Eichhornia  diversifolia

Planting  instructions  will  follow.
sridharp77
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Sorry  I  need  to  clear  up  this  point.  

Quote:                
In  viewing  the  DVD  I  made  some  notes  on  things  that  really  hit  home  for  me,  as  found  below.  I've  tried  to  separate  those  comments  that  I  saw  as  his  aquascaping  principles,  vs.  those  things  that  appeared  be  techniques  he  uses.                

This  is  the  observation  made  by  the  fellow  who  watched  the  video  of  Amano  and  it  no  where  says  that  these  were  the  things  that  Amano  said  in  the  lecture.  SO  my  dear  Tirthankar  please  read  the  lines  mentioned  above  the  points  once  again.  

Please  go  through  the  pictures  in  the  below  website.

http://www.aquaristics.com/ada-gallery.php

Then  you  will  know  why  i  mentioned  those  three  points  are  absolute  nonsense.

Regards,

Sridhar
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Please  Note  the  tips  mentioned  are  from  practical  experience  and  not  copied  from  any  website.

Planting  Tips

Plant  Selection
 a)  While  selecting  plants  make  sure  that  the  plants  are  healthy  and  have  roots,  the  roots  or  the  leaves  should  not  be  decayed.
 b)  It  is  important  to  know  as  to  whether  the  plants  are  high  or  low  light,  stem  or  rosette,  what  height  it  will  grow  too  and  if  they  are  high  or  low  maintenance.   This  will  help  you  in  the  placement  of  the  plants  in  your  tank  and  show  best  results  in  the  long  run.  

Planting  Your  Tank

I  am  sure  all  of  us  know  by  now  the  Nature  is  not  in  our  control  and  what  we  are  trying  to  do  here  is  only  to  imitate  Nature,  so  the  instructions  below  are  only  guide  lines  to  help  you  do  your  best.
 It  is  only  in  a  garden  where  you  will  see  plants  arranged  in  a  symmetrical  fashion  and  not  in  nature.

a) Draw  a  layout  of  where  you  want  to  place  your  plants  in  the  tank.

Tools

Foreground  Plants

b) It  is  good  to  start  planting  with  foreground  plants.
 c) Add  water  to  your  tank  slowly  and  fill  just  enough  to  cover  a  foreground  plant  and  start  planting  the  foreground  plants.
 d) It  is  suggested  that  you  use  planting  tools  for  the  job.  A  sharp  tip  surgical  tweezer  will  also  do  the  job.
 e) Hold  only  enough  plants  you  can  hold  with  the  tip  of  the  tweezer  and  plant  deep  into  the  soil  or  you  will  find  them  floating  later.
 f) Planting  foreground  plants  is  painstaking,  be  patient  take  your  time  and  you  will  see  the  best  results.
 g) The  foreground  plant  that  I  have  used  is  Eleocharis  parvula,  Dwarf  Hairgrass.

Dwarf  Hairgrass

Midground  Plants

h) Once  you  are  done  with  the  foreground  plants  start  with  the  mid  ground.
 i) Add  a  little  more  water  for  comfort.
 j) Mid  ground  plants  we  have  used  are  Blyxa  japonica,  Cryptocoryne  wendtii  'green  gecko',  Cryptocoryne  wendtii  'Tropica',  Echinodorus  angustifolius,  Lilaeopsis  brasiliensis,  Rorippa  Aquatica
 k) When  removing  crypts  from  the  pot  you  need  to  be  careful  as  the  roots  are  kind  of  fused  together  and  that  makes  it  difficult  to  separate  the  roots  from  the  sponge,  an  easy  way  to  remove  the  sponge  is  first  to  cut  all  the  excess  root  (keep  the  roots  at  about  an  inch  long)  and  then  grip  the  roots  in  you  hand  and  hold  it  under  a  tap  with  the  water  running  full  and  you  will  see  that  the  sponge  comes  out  due  to  the  force  of  the  water.
 l) Now  separate  the  plants  and  plant  it  using  a  tweezer.  Again  plant  deep.

Blyxa  Japonica

Rorippa  Aquatica

Background  Plants

m) Background  plants  that  we  have  used  are  Eichhornia  diversifolia,  Ludwigia  inclinata  var.  verticillata  'Cuba',  Hygrophila  corymbosa  'Compact'  Eleocharis  vivipara,  Cryptocoryne  'balansae',  Cryptocoryne  retrospiralis  and  vallisaneria.
 n) These  plants  are  easy  to  plant  but  make  sure  that  when  you  are  planting  these  plants  you  are  not  shadowing  any  of  the  high  light  plants.

Hygrophila  corymbosa  'Compact'

Substrate  Free  Plants

o) Substrate  Free  Plants  that  we  have  used  are,  Anubias  barteri  var  nana  'Petite',  Anubias  barteri  var  nana  'Yellow  Heart',  Bolbitis  heudelotii.

p) These  plants  have  been  tied  to  the  wood  and  at  certain  places  they  have  been  wedged  into  crevices  in  the  wood.

Anubias  barteri  var  nana  'Petite'

Once  you  have  finished  planting  fill  in  the  water,  start  your  Co2,  Light  and  filter.These  details  will  be  updated.

The  food  you  cook  will  always  taste  better  to  you  ,  I  just  want  to  tell  you  that  at  the  end  of  the  day  this  is  your  tank  and  you  are  the  one  who  is  going  to  be  looking  at  it  day  in  and  day  out  (married  guys  excluded).

So  it  is  for  you  to  decide  how  it  should  look  and  if  you  like  the  way  it  looks  then  to  hell  with  the  world.

Finally  if  you  feel  that  you  want  to  put  a  mid  ground  plant  in  the  front  then  so  be  it.

Happy  Planting.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 05, 2008 9:44 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Clapping  What  a  wonderful  thread  Clapping  

It  will  help  us,  specially  me  a  lot  for  our  event.

Thanks  a  lot,  Trevor  Sir  Bow
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

DJ_Rocky  wrote  (View  Post):                
Clapping  What  a  wonderful  thread  Clapping  

It  will  help  us,  specially  me  a  lot  for  our  event.

Thanks  a  lot,  Trevor  Sir  Bow                

Thanks  for  the  kind  words  "  Rocky".  Waiting  for  your  event.  We  will  be  backing  you  and  the  Kolkatta  event  100%  all  the  way.  Thumb Up  

There  are  a  few  more  posts  to  add  on  the  light  etc  and  some  ending   pics  and  then  I  am  done  with  this  thread.  Smile
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Kickstart a World class ADA tank at an economical rate. Reply with quote

Trevor  Sir
 This  thread  is  coming  out  real  nice  far  more  details  and  practical  info  than  any  site  on  the  net.
 Way  to  go  Sir  Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquascaping All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: