75. Guest
76. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,881

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Thermo Electric Chiller
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Thermo Electric Chiller
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:02 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Hi,
 This  is  a  good  idea  and  has  been  a  part  of  DIY  since  many  years.  However  the  only  design  issue  with  this  unit  is  the  control  of  sudden  shock.  Salt  can  cause  the  ice  temp  to  a  sudden  dip  and  thus  putting  your  live  stock  at  a  wipe  out  risk  due  to  a  cold  shock.  Also  this  technique  will  reduce  the  tank  temp  at  a  rather  quick  pace  thus  exposing  the  live  stock  to  several  diseases  caused  by  varying  temp  mainly  ich.
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

The  temperature  drop  of  the  water  can  be  controlled  by  the  rate  of  flow  through  the  tube.  You  can  also  change  the  design  so  that  the  water  is  distributed  more  evenly  in  the  tank  than  in  just  one  end  of  the  tank.

Ilango
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

I  was  wondering  How  abt  replacing  the  Ice  box  with  a  Thermo  electric  Cool  box  filled  with  water.  I  have  seen  one  of  these  and  the  water  in  this  could  go  as  low  as  10deg.  When  running  the  flexi  pipe  dipped  through  the  water   the  water  temp  in  the  pipe  should  only  change  by  a  1  Deg  every  10  -  15  mins.  thus  lowering  the  temp  of  the  tank  n  since  these  units  do  not  dip  suddenly  and  will  not  reach  a  freezing  point  ever  considering  indian  weather  conditions  in  Delhi  or  Mumbai  i  think  its  a  good  choice.

The  price  of  one  of  these  units  should  be  around  4-5K  mark.  The  complete  setup  should  cost  not  more  than  6K.  I  think  that  is  a  decent  price  for  a  chiller.  

Any  thoughts  ???

Here  is  a  Pic...

ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:34 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Thare  are  lot  of  chillers  and  fridges  like  that  in  the  market......  but  for  me  if  it  is  DIY  then  it  should  be  "mostly  DIY"  and  pretty  cheap.  Just  fixing  a  few  pipes  is  not  DIY  in  MHO.

Ilango
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 1:42 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

I  totaly  agree  a  DIY  should  be  mostly  DIY.  However  is  it  worth  the  risk  of  live  stock.

The  other  thought  to  it  is  ...  you  do  get  peltier  chips  in  the  market.  How  abt  sticking  some  on  the  Thermocol  ice  box  and  you  have  made  your  effective  chiller  /  fridge  outta  the  ice  box  and  further  more  use  the  idea  i  had.

Your  thoughts  on  it  ?
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:29 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

nash81  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  am  sure  it  will  stay  long  enough  ...  the  reason  i  claim  that  is  i  did  apply  a  complete  coat  of  silicone  to  the  ply  wood  first  allowed  it  to  cure  for  48hrs  post  which  i  applied  another  layer  of  silicone  to  which  the  backdrop  was  pasted.  So  i  dont  see  any  reason  why  the  silicone  should  not  keep  the  tank  water  proof  long  enough.

I  am  trying  to  post  a  few  pics  here  ..  try  this  link

Aquarium  DIY

[img]http://picasaweb.google.com/nash81/AquariumDIY/photo#5166770842047789490[/img]                

Silicone  does  not  adhere  well  to  cured  silicone,  so  the  background  might  peel  off  if  subjected  to  stress.

My  point  is,  plywood  tanks  have  been  around  for  about  20  years  and  I'm  sure  others  must've  thought  of  the  silicone  idea,  too.  I  just  wonder  why  everyone  plonked  for  epoxy  (sheep  mentality  aside).
ilango_slk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 2:50 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

@nash81,

peltier  chips  are  good  but  not  sure  who  they  will  perform  in  liquid  cooling.  I  can  think  of  a  panel  of  peltier  chips  over  which  we  can  allow  the  water  to  flow,  but  we  need  a  sump  for  this  setup.

@retro_gk,

I  think  what  he  has  done  is  create  multiple  plastic  bags  once  inside  the  other  kid  of  senerio.  IMOH  it  will  say  on  for  some  time  provided  the  water  is  still  but  once  there  is  movement  in  the  water  the  life  of  this  tank  is  going  to  drop.

Ilango
nash81
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Well  the  first  coat  of  silicone  was  not  fully  cured  for  the  same  reason.  Silicone  will  only  fully  cure  after  7days.  Also  the  first  coat  of  silicone  was  sanded  to  even  it  out  and  create  a  roughness  for  the  second  coat  to  stay  on.  On  the  first  coat  i  also  added  an  epoxy  resin  based  adhesive  
 (  araldite  )  along  with  the  silicone  for  strenght.  

The  whole  idea  was  that  once  a  year  maintenance  would  be  done  on  the  tank  to  remove  all  backdrop  and  recoat  a  new  one  with  silicone.

I  have  had  this  tank  for  over  2yrs  now.  It  was  running  freshwater  before  and  i  have  now  converted  it  to  saltwater.  The  Structure  of  the  tank  has  never  compromised  in  the  last  2yrs.  Also  knowing  me  within  a  year  more  i  would  keep  upgrading  my  tank  to  bigger  sizes  so  i  guess  this  was  the  most  cost  effective  solution.

8yrs  back  i  did  build  a  similar  setup  for  a  friend  of  mine  in  a  2  feet  size.  That  tank  has  never  gone  any  maintenance  what  so  ever  and  has  still  been  running  for  him.  He  has  been  running  a  marine  setup  since  then  and  has  constant  water  movements  with  2  power  heads.
fishyman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 2:00 am Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Hi  Nash,
 could  you  successfuly  complete  your  chiller  DIY.  if  yes  kindly  post  the  design  here  on  Iah  as  other  enthusiast  can  share  your  skillful  practisces.
 regards
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 11:35 am Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                

DJ_Rocky  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yes  you  can  stack  multiple  to  lower  down  the  temperature.                

You  sure??                

Yes!
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 2:34 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Anyone  ever  tried  to  create  a  chiller  using  Water  cooler?  The  same  water  cooler  we  can  see  in  our  office  pantry  with  a  40ltr  water  bottle  on  top.  IAH  member,  Koushik  recently  tried  with  it  and  using  it  with  success.  And  yes....  the  price  of  the  water  cooler  is  half  of  the  price  of  Thermo  Electric  Chiller.   Thumb Up  

I  requested  Koushik  Da,  to  come  up  with  the  design  in  forum  so  we  also  can  try  our  hand.
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

Mr.Elango  how  long  does  the  DIY  Chiller  you  specified  last?i  mean  the  ice  cubes  and  the  cooling  effect  last?                                                  
Quote:                
 If  you  wanna  effective  chiller  that  is  pretty  cheap  to  make  try  this...

Items  needed  :

1.   A  thermocol  box  (preferably  cylindrical,hope  some  of  you  guys  remember  the  box  where  the  petti  shop  keepers  had  their  crushed  ice  before  pepsi  and  coke  came  to  the  market  with  free  fridges  )
 2.   Flexible  hose  (similar  to  airline  tubes  but  bigger  in  diameter)
 3.   A  small  powerhead
 4.   Flow  controller
 5.   A  fridge  where  you  can  borrow  those  ice  cubes  Wink
 6.   Common  Salt  (crystals  not  the  table  salt)

Jigup  the  powerhead  to  split  the  flow  into  to  outlets.  On  one  outlet  fix  a  flow  controller.

Make  a  coil  out  of  the  tube  and  dump  it  into  the  insulated  box.  One  end  of  the  tube  must  be  connected  to  the  powerhead   and  the  other  must  return  the  water  to  the  tank(preferably   bottom  of  the  tank).  Run  the  power  head  and  make  sure  there  is  no  leaks.Now  your  homemade  chiller  is  ready  to  do  the  work  for  you.

Empty  all  the  ice  cubes  from  the  fridge  into  the  box  (before  your  mom  or  wife  sees  it  Smile  )  Add  some  slat  crystals  to  the  cubes  and  mix  it  well  with  some  stick  or  something  (this  mixture  can  get  pretty  cold  !!!).

Start  your  power  head  and  adjust  the  flow  controller  so  that  enough  flow  goes  into  the  chiller.  Sit  back  and  monitor  your  tank  temp.

Adjust  the  flow  controller  as  per  your  requirements.  When  you  don't  wanna  the  chiller  all  you  have  to  do  is  stop  the  powerhead  or  increase  the  flow  through  the  flow  controller  ...

Cheap  and  cost  effective  chiller  is  ready  Smile                  
consider  the  temp  of  the  atmosphere  at  38  degrees!
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

retro_gk  wrote  (View  Post):                

My  point  is,  plywood  tanks  have  been  around  for  about  20  years  and  I'm  sure  others  must've  thought  of  the  silicone  idea,  too.  I  just  wonder  why  everyone  plonked  for  epoxy  (sheep  mentality  aside).                

silicon  is  too  viscous,it  has  poor  flow  quality.....a  painful  exercise  to  paint/coat  large  surfaces  of  ply  wood.Silicon  will  not  penetrate  into  tight  nooks  and  corners,where  it  is  most  needed.Epoxy  has  a  better  flow,and  gets  into  minute  cracks,and  pores  to  block  effectively.

Nash,there  seems  to  be  an  accounting  error.....at  1200/-  you  don't  even  get  enough  of  plywood,who  paid  for  all  the  silicon,and  the  background  sheets?(i'm  assuming  you  have  used  marine  grade  ply.....block  board  will  rot  even  if  not  in  direct  contact  with  water!just  the  humidity  around  the  tank  will  do  the  trick)

Last edited by murthy on Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2008 7:42 pm Post subject: Re: Thermo Electric Chiller Reply with quote

nash81  wrote  (View  Post):                
Well  the  first  coat  of  silicone  was  not  fully  cured  for  the  same  reason.  Silicone  will  only  fully  cure  after  7days.  Also  the  first  coat  of  silicone  was  sanded  to  even  it  out  and  create  a  roughness  for  the  second  coat  to  stay  on.  On  the  first  coat  i  also  added  an  epoxy  resin  based  adhesive  
 (  araldite  )  along  with  the  silicone  for  strenght.  

I'm  not  sure  what  kind  of  silicon  you  are  talking  about.Most  of  the  silicon  I  have  used  cures  in  24  hours  and  I  have  the  tank  running  in  36  hours.

Sanding  silicon??!!As  in  scrubbing  silicon  with  sandpaper?You  can  only  sand  hard  surfaces  like  a  wall,or  glass,or  wood.....silicon??that  would  be  akin  to  sanding  cheese....and  you  finally  used  epoxy  resin....why  use  several  layers  of  different  materials?it  just  creates  more  joints  where  failure  can  occur(wood-silicon-epoxy-silicon-background  pvc)  why  not  just  go  in  for  a  single  piece  coating?simplicity?
 how  did  you  join  the  glass  to  the  frame?what  thickness  glass  are  you  using?

Please  account  for  every  single  material  used  item-wise,and  you  will  find  a  5x1.5x1.5all  glass(though  slightly  smaller)will  cost  about  as  much,saving  a  lot  of  mess  and  worry.

.......sorry,the  thread  is  about  chillers,but  I  happen  to  like  talking  about  plytanks,the  mother  of  all  DIYs
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: