45. Guest
46. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai)
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:23 am Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

retro_gk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Ever  been  on  the  platform  at  Dadar  during  rush  hour?   Very Happy                

You  remind  good  old  days.  I  miss  my  town.  :  (

No  station  can  beat  my  Dombivli  for  the  rush  hour  fun.  And  there  has  been  even  a  film  on  that  name,  Dombivli  Fast,  i  guess.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:39 am Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Hi,

Quote:                
Ever  been  on  the  platform  at  Dadar  during  rush  hour?                     

We  in  Bangalore  are  hard  workers.  We  are  already  on  it.
 We  want  all  the  roads  and  I  mean  all,   in  Bangalore  to  resemble  the  rush  hour  in  dadar.
 We  have  already  achieved  considerable  success,  what  with  Azim  premji,  Narayan  Murthy  etc  threatening  to  shift  their  business  elsewhere.

But  we  in  Bangalore  are  a  modest  lot  and  don't  like  to  boast.  Chuckle   Chuckle  

Regards,
 Nayak.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

[quote="Shankar";p="83588"]                                                  

No  station  can  beat  my  Dombivli  for  the  rush  hour  fun.  
 And  there  has  been  even  a  film  on  that  name,  Dombivli  Fast,  i  guess.                

Agreed  !  Agreed  !  Agreed  !
 I  used  to  attend  my  coaching  classes  in  dombivli  at  7  am  and  the  the  competition  amongst  we  friends  to  get  down  first  on  dombivli  station  before  the  train  stoped  used  to  be  a  dangerous  one.!

Yes  there  is  a  marathi  movie  by  name  Dombivli  fast  but  nothing  related  to  the  hustle  bustle  on  the  dombivli  station.  Smile
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:05 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

[quote="rohansd";p="83607"]I  used  to  attend  my  coaching  classes  in  dombivli  at  7  am  and  the  the  competition  amongst  we  friends  to  get  down  first  on  dombivli  station  before  the  train  stoped  used  to  be  a  dangerous  one.!

Fast  local  from  Ambarnath  on  platform  #5  is  the  most  challenging  one.   Very Happy  

I  have  seen  many  irked  commuters  pushed  inside  and  forced  to  get  down  at  Thane,  wanting  to  get  down  one  stop  before.   ROFL
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Well,

All  arguments  aside,  it  is  difficult  to  beat  a  modern  metropolis  having  nearly  50  mammal  species  including  big  game  like  Leopard,  barking  deer,  crocodiles  and  Sambar  within  municipal  limits.  Very Happy

@Banjohead  -  Sorry,  I  was  not  planning  to  do  a  listing  of  fauna  of  the  park  but  since  you  ask  -  yes,  plenty  of  snakes  -  I  have  personally  seen  cobras,  rat  snakes,  russels  viper,  green  vine  snakes,  checkered  and  striped  keelbacks,  python  most  of  which  can  be  found  even  in  larger  cities  in  India.  Others  have  reported  a  much  larger  variety.  Lycodon  can  probably  elaborate  on  the  more  exotic  ones  found  there.  Apart  from  this  a  huge  variety  of  birds  -  we  have  clocked  nearly  350+  species  in  and  around  Mumbai.

@Shankar:  I'll  soon  have  you  getting  even  more  nostalgic  when  I  put  up  some  pics  of  a  fishing  trip  I  did  in  your  old  stomping  grounds...  Wink

Regards,
 Venkat
Shankar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Add  the  Worm  snake  to  the  list..  Smile  

Post  those  pics,  Venkat.   Crying or Very sad
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

whats  going  on  here???  

this  is  an  aquarist  forum  and  people  are  taking  tallies  of  leopards,  crocodiles  and  birds.  

Fish  is  the  focus  guys  and  Madras  has  the  most  and  best  of  wild  fish  so  we  take  the  prize  and  thank  you  all  for  the  deafening  applause.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:16 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Hi,

Rules  of  Battle,  People  of  same  stature  can  challenge  each  other.
 That  eliminates  me.
 So,  Trevor  where  are  you?

Regards,
 Nayak.
arupnandi1969
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:38 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Venkat  (and  others  too),

I  spent  a  good  four  years  in  the  idyllic,  sylvan  settings  of  the  IIT  Bombay  campus.  Personally,  I  have  seen  a  Leopard,  been  haunted  by  the  vision  of  a  few  crocs  -  both  in  Vihar  and  the  Powai  lakes,  and  was  almost  bitten  by  a  cobra  in  the  wee  hours  of  the  morning.  Sadly,  I  haven't  found  any  of  that  in  the  midst  of  Ulsoor,  Bangalore  :-(  Even  though,  I  support  Bangalore  in  whatever  the  war  of  the  cities  is  on.  But  personally,  I  doubt  whether  I'll  ever  see  a  real  wild  leopard  on  the  rooftop  of  a  Professor's  apartment  in  the  midst  of  an  educational  campus.

As  far  as  fish  goes,  I  don't  think  anyone  can  beat  the  number  of  Tilapias  in  Powai  lake  -  especially  with  regard  to  the  amount  of  mercury  they  hold  in  their  veins.  Those  guys  are  more  clinical  thermometers  than  pisceans.

Arup
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 4:18 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

Shankar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Some  say  to  have  heard  of  a  tiger  near  Canheri  caves.  How  true  is  this?                

Canheri  Caves  has  become  really  spooky  area  in  recent  times.  Not  heard  of  tiger  but  you  will  definitely  spot  leopard  if  you  stroll  around  in  the  area  for  a  while.  
 Even  BEST  had  halted  its  bus  services  to  Canheri  from  Borivali  Station  long  back.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 5:06 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

A  couple  of  years  back   (2006  -  I  think),  a  tigress  was  spotted  at  the  Nagla  block  of  the  National  Park  (Northernmost  boundary  of  the  park)
 Later  pugmarks  were  also  discovered  by  the  forest  officials.  It  is  presumed  that  she  travelled  over  the  Tungareshwar  range  which  is  somewhat  contigious  to  the  park  at  the  northern  end.  

This  sighting  was  crucial  in  getting  the  Tungareshwar  range  declared  as  a  sanctuary.

It  has  however  not  been  seen  again.

@Shankar:  I'll  put  up  the  pics  this  weekend.

regards,
 Venkat
apollyon
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

[quote="rohansd";p="83607"]                                                  

And  there  has  been  even  a  film  on  that  name,  Dombivli  Fast,  i  guess.                

Yes  there  is  a  marathi  movie  by  name  Dombivli  fast  but  nothing  related  to  the  hustle  bustle  on  the  dombivli  station.  Smile                

Yup,  the  movie  has  nothing  to  do  with  the  hustle  bustle  on  the  station,  its  just  a  complete  rip  off  of  the  michael  douglas  movie  Falling  Down  Â Very Happy  
 http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/

Last edited by apollyon on Fri Mar 14, 2008 8:47 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:27 pm Post subject: Re: Crocs in Powai Lake (Mumbai) Reply with quote

[quote="apollyon";p="83686"]                                                  
rohansd  wrote  (View  Post):                

Yup,  the  movie  has  nothing  to  do  with  the  hustle  bustle  on  the  station,  its  just  a  complete  rip  off  of  the  michael  douglas  movies  Falling  Down   Very Happy  
 http://us.imdb.com/title/tt0106856/                

Aditya  sherlock  homes  !!!  Police
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: