58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - To ADA or Not to ADA?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

To ADA or Not to ADA?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:52 pm Post subject: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Smile  Hi,
 I  am  about  to  restart  my  planted  tank,  and  I  was  wondering  if  osmoene  can  give  me  an  honest  opinion  on  weather  it  would  be  worth  it  to  change  the  entire  substrate  to  Amazonia/Amazoniz  2.  

My  current  substrate  is  a  mix  of  laterite  base  then  fertil  peat  and  clay  and  on  top  of  that  normal  river  sand.
 This  has  sustained  decent  growth,  now  since  I  am  redoing  the  whole  tank  i  have  the  option  to  try  the  2  ADA  products,  but  that  would  make  my  budget  jump  by  6K  atleast.

Can  the  experts  or  anyone  using  ADA  tell  me  is  it  worth  the  effort  and  the  money  to  change  this  substrate  to  ADA  soil...?

Can  someone  please  give  an  honest  opinion  is  ADA  is  worth  it  or  a  waste  of  money?

I  am  planning  this  tank  to  have  a  pressurised  Co2  and  about  2WPG  as  I  will  mostly  be  planting  low  light  plants.

Or  is  it  best  to  use  ADA  sparingly  in  shallow  pots  and  then  cover  the  pots  with  river  sand,  this  i  am  worried  might  not  let  the  plants  grow  that  naturally?  but  will  save  me  a  lot  of  money?

PLease  advise..
 Thanks  a  lot.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:05 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Needless  to  say  anything  on  ADA  products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:25 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

The  following  is  by  Tom  Barr,  Barrrepot.com
 I  thought  it  would  be  an  interesting  read  to  a  lot  of  people:

Topic:"I  hate  ADA  aqua  Soil"

The  Admins  told  me  to  only  post  a  link:
 so  here  goes:  I  hate  Amano  Soil  by  TOM  BARR

Basically  he  talks  about  his  experience  in  using  ADA  soil,  and  how  terrible  it  was  for  huge  tanks..

Looks  like  I  just  saved  6K
 Thanks

Last edited by Nanu on Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:32 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Interesting....I  am  sure  that  only  by  using  ADA  you  can  not  make  a  tank  like  Amano's.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Actually  ,  I  ve  felt  that  stuff  like  hairgrass  and  cuba  always  need  ADA  soil.
 Maybe  my  water  is  the  issue,  but  I  never  got  hairgrass  to  gow  before  I  put  in  ADA  soil.
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Nanu

I  think  ADA  is  worth  trying.  It  is  expensive  and  makes  a  big  hole  in  the  pocket.  But  in  the  web  many  excellent  display  tanks  are  made  of  ADA  substance.

However,  personally,  I  prefer  DIY  concept.  Right  use  of  commonly  available  products,  viz  substrate.  lights  ,  fertiliser  is  challenging  and  that  gives  me  the  pleasure  of  maintaining  this  hobby.  So  many  display  tanks  in  web  are  also  made  of  Common  DIY  equipment  .  Very Happy

So  choice  is  yours,  whether  you  need  instant  noodles  from  Big  Shop  with  big  $$$$  or  get  the  noodles  done  at  your  kitchen   Chuckle  .

Regards
 Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:38 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Severumkid:  agreed  I  cant  make  his  tanks  with  just  using  his  soil,  but  that  isnt  my  intention  anyway.  My  intention  is  to  make  the  best  tank  "I"  can  for  my  livingroom,  thats  all  nothing  more  nothing  less...

Rana:  even  I  like  the  DIY  concept,  but  after  using  it  for  a  year  I  want  to  try  the  amano  soil,  but  have  been  put  of  by  its  prices...

Pradeep:  Thats  a  good  point,  but  my  intention  is  only  to  have  e.Tellenus,  and  Valls  and  other  wood  tieing  species  which  have  nothing  to  do  with  the  soil.....and  not  any  difficult  to  grow  species..

My  tank  size  is  48x21x27  so  it  would  mean  4x9kgs  bags  which  come  out  to  9K
 in  this  much  would  i  be  better  off  with  a  Pressurised  Co2  and  better  lighting.
 And  use  DIY  soil?

Lets  say  my  budget  for  Co2,  Substrate  and  Lighting  is  10K  how  should  I  go  about  it...?

Last edited by Nanu on Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

If  there  are  any  volunteers,  we  should  do  an  experiment.  Set  up  two  small  aquariums,  one  with  ADA  and  another  with  ordinary  laterite  etc  and  keep  everything  else  the  same.  And  see  what  happens  in  2  months.

Any  volunteers?

thanks
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:43 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Nanu  wrote  (View  Post):                
....never  said  I  want  to  make  Amanos'  tank.
 I  want  to  make  my  tank.
 Just  looking  for  help  from  his  product.                

Hey  no  offence  dude..
 It  was  a  general  comment.  I  meant  that  one  needs  to  master  a  craft  properly  to  build  a  breath  taking  tank.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:47 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Dev  ....  Why  Amano  always?  Go  to  APC  and  surf  some  posts.  You  will  get  lots  of  Big  Daddy  of  planted  tank.  Smile

Nanu,  ADA  is  surely  a  very  good  substrate  and  really  it  promotes  plants  growth  in  a  great  way.  But  before  taking  any  decision,  I  would  take  a  look  at  the  plants  list  what  you  are  planning  to  keep.  Are  they  really  want  a  very  rich  substrate  to  grow  at  it's  best?  Or  they  will  go  good  with  non  ADA  but  reach  substrate.  Do  this  small  home  work.  

For  a  long  time  we  all  are  growing  Glosso  and  HC  in  non  ADA  substrate  with  success,  but  they  can  be  best  grown  in  ADA  (In  terms  of  Growth  Rate).  

As  you  are  planning  to  go  for  a  low/Medium  light  plants,  that  means  there  will  be  a  load  of  Ferns  and  Moss  along  with  Anubias.  I  really  don't  think  ADA  can  add  any  difference  in  their  growth.  But  again,  before  finalising  your  substrate,  do  a  detailed  home  work.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:51 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

Anandaqu  wrote  (View  Post):                
If  there  are  any  volunteers,  we  should  do  an  experiment.  Set  up  two  small  aquariums,  one  with  ADA  and  another  with  ordinary  laterite  etc  and  keep  everything  else  the  same.  And  see  what  happens  in  2  months.

Any  volunteers?

thanks                

Let  the  summer  Go.  I  have  a  plan  to  do  this  experiment  in  2  nano  tanks.  Everything  will  be  same  except  the  substrate.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:58 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

T2CHATTO  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dev  ....  Why  Amano  always?  Go  to  APC  and  surf  some  posts.  You  will  get  lots  of  Big  Daddy  of  planted  tank.  Smile

Only  because  he  is  refering  to  a  Amon  product.

BTW,  I  am  still  a  beginner  and  do  not  have  the  odersity  of  quoting  or  naming  Amano...he  is  light  years  ahead..
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

...ya  i  think  ADA  experiment  is  a  better  call  than  to  invest  10K  and  hold  my  head  if  it  doesn't  turn  out  worth  it.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:06 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

@Tirth  -  What  is  APC?
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:09 pm Post subject: Re: To ADA or Not to ADA? Reply with quote

APC:  Aquatic  Plants  cENTRAL.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: