192. Guest
193. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,803

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Oscar color identification
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Oscar color identification
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AQUARIST
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 8:24 am Post subject: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Dear  Friends,  I  am  a  regular  reader  of  this  group.  I  may  not  have  participated  in  any  activity  of  the  group,  But  definitely  i  have  gained  valuable  knowledge  about  fish  keeping,  which  i  would  surely  share  with  the  group  members.  Before  joining  the  group  more  than  fifteen  years  i  have  fishes.  Which  started  with  a  wild  caught  Guppy  when  i  was  a  Kid,  from  that  it  started  and  i  had  so  many  fishes.  Evnethough  i  had  varieties  of  mollies  bred  Till  i  joined  the  group  i  never  have  bred  any  egg  laying  fish  and  never  had  a  chiclid.  But  with  the  knowledge  i  have  got  through  this  group,  I  have  suceesfully  bred  and  raised  Fighters,  Gouramis  and  Gold  Fish.  Also  preparing   a  few  pairs  of  Tiger  Barbs,  and  Few  Tetras  and  Mbunas  for  breeding.  Recently  my  attention  turned  towards  chiclids  and  now  especialy  towards  Oscars.  I  bought  a  pair  of  Oscars  15  days  back.  The  LFS  guy  showed  a  group  of  Oscars  and  told  me  that  they  are  Black  Oscars(which  were  black)  i  bought  a  pair  of  healthy  looking  oscars.  When  i  reached  home  and  released  it  in  the  tank,  They  were  really  frightened  and  the  color  looked  pale  then  i  feed  them  with  Blood  worms  for  a  couple  of  days  and  after  that  i  started  feeding  them  with  red  mollies/Platies  which  i  have  in  my  cement  tanks  and  occassionally  with  Grass  hoppers,  which  they  love.  In  the  15  days  they  have  grown  almost  1/2  inch  and  now  the  color  of  the  fish  is  changing,  it  doesn't  look  black  ,  It  looks  Brownish  green  and  sometimes  it  changes  color  to  dark  green  with  patterns.
   My  questions  are-
 1)  Can  we  identify  the  color  of  the  Oscar  when  they  are  Young?  If  yes,  how?  if  no,  then  when  will  the  actual  color  starts  to  show  off?.   
 2)My  Oscar  loves  live  food  and  it  is  not  taking  Pellets  (Hi-REd)  as  well  as  Dry  Worms  (Tubifex)  and  Dried  shrimps  (which  i  got  from  LFS)-  What  should  i  do  to  change  its  food  habit?
 Thanks  in  advance,
 Jeyanth  (Aquarist)
 Tirupur.  Tamil  Nadu.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:07 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Hi  Jeyanth,

Welcome  to  IAH   Smile  

You  can  distinguish  the  Velvet  /  Tiger  Oscars  from  the  Golden  &  Red  Oscars  only  after  they  are  about  1.25".  The  pattern  develops  as  they  grow  &  mature.  Same  holds  good  for  the  Albino  variety  too.  What  you  have  are  Velvet  /  Tiger  Strain.

Oscars  or  any  fish  for  that  matter,  once  they  get  used  to  live  food  may  adapt  to  dry  food  with  lot  of  persistence(from  your  side   Chuckle  ),  the  other  way  round  is  very  easy.

You  can  try  Lean  meat  -  Beef/Chicken/Goat/Pork  heart,  be  sure  to  remove  the  fat  content.  This  can  always  be  improvised  by  making  a  mix  similar  to  what  we  make  for  Discus.  Frozen  prawns,  earthworms,  guppies,  Cockroaches(one  without  wings)  are  few  other  that  you  can  try.  Grass  hopper  is  a  bit  too  hard  especially  with  the  spikes  on  the  hind  legs-  avoid  it.

Before  you  start  feeding  home  made  food  read  the  various  threads  under  this  category  &  Google.

I've  sent  you  a  Private  Message  -  please  check.
aquaboy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 11:45 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Hi  Jayanth,
             I  have  a  Pair  of  Oscars  for  about  6  months  now.  I  bought  them  when  they  were  about  2  inches  and  now  they  are  7  to  8  inches.  They  grow  really  fast.

As  far  as  the  colouration  goes,  my  albino  Oscars  takes  different  pattern  every  month.  in  some  months  they  have  very  prominent  orange  patches  all  over  their  body  and  in  some  months  there  will  be  none.  hence  it  looks  like  they  decide  what  colour  dress  to  wear  on  a  particular  day.   Surprised  

dont  worry  about  the  colour,  maintain  them  healthy  you  will  throughly  enjoy  being  with  them.

Aquaboy.
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:18 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Hi  Jayanth

What  you  have  might  be  tiger  Oscar.  they  are  mostly  black  in  the  early  stages  and  grows  out  with  a  lot  of  patches  around  them.

This  is  how  a  tiger  oscar  might  look  when  they  are  young:

The  legs  of  the  mantis  have  lots  of  spike  kinda  things.  so  you  remove  them  and  feed  the  Oscars.

Changing  food  course  is  a  bit  difficult  with  oscars.  normally  they  are  not  fed  for  a  few  days  and  then  introduction  of  pellets  would  do  the  trick  i  guess.

Correct  me  experts  if  i  am  wrong.

Oscars  are  really  awesome  creatures.  Keep  them  healthy  and  they  would  make  you  feel  happy.

Thumb Up
Natrery
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 1:41 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Jayanth,

I  would  say  that  PLS  Stop  feeding  live  fishes,  as  its  not  good  for  your  Oscars..

Feed  them  pellets  or  Beef  heart...if  they  do  not  eat  pellets..starve  them  for  a  couple  of  days  and  they  will  eat  as  they  get  more  hungry  each  day...or  try  the  normal  trick  like  gradually  reduce  live  feed  and  increase  pellets..finally  the  day  of  only  pellets  feeding  will  arrive..

But  Oscars  are  really  stubborn  once  they  get  used  to  live  feed..just  have  patience...

THanks
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 8:26 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Oscars  are  greedy  eaters  and  will  take  anything  from  hand.   All  you  have  to  do  is  starve  them  for  a  couple  of  days.   Almost  all  oscars  you  get  in  LFS  are  tiger  oscars.   As  they  are  messy  eaters,  a  good  filter  and  of  course  a  big  tank  could  help  them  grow  faster.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
AQUARIST
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:16 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Aquadeep  wrote  (View  Post):                

You  can  distinguish  the  Velvet  /  Tiger  Oscars  from  the  Golden  &  Red  Oscars  only  after  they  are  about  1.25".  The  pattern  develops  as  they  grow  &  mature.  Same  holds  good  for  the  Albino  variety  too.  What  you  have  are  Velvet  /  Tiger  Strain.

AQUARIST
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Thanks  Deepak,  Aquaboy,Sundar,  Navaneeth  and  Madhu  Ulysses  for  your  valuable  information.

The  fish  i  have  is  simillar  to  the  one  Sundar  has  posted,  but  it  doesn't  have  the  orange  spots  on  it  .  Instead  it  has  light  cream  color  strains  on  it.  Also  when  i  bought  it  was  without  any  of  these  markings  and  now  it  has  started  developing  patterns  and  it  is  definitely  a  Tiger.   I  will  add  some  of  the  photos  i  have  taken  in  my  mobile  phone.

But  what  are  the  colors  available  in  a  matured  oscar?  i  have  seen  black  tiger,  grey  tiger  and  albinos,  other  than  that  do  they  come  in  green  /Brownish  green?

Mine  is  slowly  trying  to  take  pellets.  I  am  gradually  reducing  the  live  feed,  right  now  I  am  feeding  it  with  Mollies  and  platies  which  i  have  grown  in  my  own  backyard.  There  are  more  than  200  mollies  in  my  cement  tank.(  I  wonder  ...  for  how  many  days  it  will  be  enough  for  these  very  very  fast  growing  fish)  also  i  constantly  feed  him  with  Blood  Worms.

I  have  stopped  feeding  him  grasshoppers  ....  but  I  just  wanted  to  know  what  are  the  insects  which  are  on  the  menu  of  these  Fishes  in  the  wild,  to  feed  them.  {  i  cannot  catch  cockraches  because  my  mom  has  always  kept  repellents  in  our  home  --  I  don't  want  to  risk  in  feeding  a  toxicated  food  to  my  beauties}

I  can  catch  Wild  guppies  from  a  nearby  pond...  But  i  am  not  sure  whether  i  should  get  those  fishes  as  feed  because  of  the  parasites  they  might  bring  in.   Can  i  get  some  fishes  and  keep  it  in  Large  cement  tanks  and  then  feed  it  the  Oscars  after  15  days  or  more  .....  Will  that  work?

These  are  awesome  pets.  and  thorougly  i  enjoy  keeping  them.
 yesterday  i  have  added  two  more  Albinos  to  my  clan.
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 9:05 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Hi  aquarist

I  would  suggest  you  not  to  feed  live  fishes  at  all.  This  increases  a  chance  of  diseases  to  the  fish.  You  can  feed  the  oscars  with  only  dried  foods  alone.

Blood  worms  will  do  along  with  the  pellets...this  will  keep  the  fishes  healthy.

Also  i  have  not  seen  such  oscars  with  green,  maybe  they  are  in  green  only  during  the  juvenile  period.  

Happy  oscar  keeping  dude!
AQUARIST
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

I  am  fascinated  by  Oscar,  The  color  and  pattern  they  have  changed  and  the  size  they  have  attained  in  a  short  span  of  two  months  is  amazing.  Guys  have  a  look  at  it.
 Bought  on  May  1st  and  the  photo  was  taken  on  May  7  

This  was  taken  on  same  day  .......But  it  showed  different  color

This  was  on  My  17  ........the  pattern  and  color  started  to  change

18-  May  -  Color  is  not  clear  in  the  photo  but  there  was  a  rapid  growth  

20-  may  --  After  a  full  Meal  

24-  May  -  Different  color  and  Pattern  (this  was  actually  shot  at  night

24-May  Same  Day  -  Suddenly  changed  the  color  and  pattern  

24-May  Same  day  

26-  May  the  pattern  changed  again.  Ready  for  attack  

26-  May  -  we  can  see  the  Floral  Patterns  

2-  June  -  Just  a  month  with  me,  but  you  can  notice  the  growth  

2-  June  -  Color  and  Pattern  changed  again  

25-  June  almost  five  and  half  inches  long  now  

1-  July  Completed  2  months  

1-  July  The  color  and  pattern  has  changed  now  Almost  6  inch  in  size  

1-  July  .You  can  see  one  has  bitten  the  other  yesterday  when  the  light  was  switched  off  

Last edited by AQUARIST on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:43 pm; edited 3 times in total
raindeepak4u
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 5:24 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Its  tiger  Oscar   buddy........
AQUARIST
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

thanks  deepak......yes  ..Its  a  Tiger.
 Now  the  Oscars  are  almost  seven  months  with  me.  Now  they  are  almost  8  inches.
 They  have  grown  at  a  Rapid  phase   till  July.........  In  Aug,  Sep  and  Oct  .......the  Growth  was  not  Good  ...........as   i  fed  them  mainly  on  pellets(Ocean  Red/hi  Red).........They  started  disliking  Blood  Worms.(and  even  i  couldn't  get  it  regularly)....Then  i  tried  everything..  I  tried  Various  pellets  and  they  have  developed  a  tendency  to  eat  the  pellets  when  they  are  crispy  and  when  the  food  gets  soaked  in  the  water  for  more  than  10  sec  ...they  simply  avoid  those  pellets  and  hence  i  couldn't  feed  them  well.................  now  after  trying  various  things........From  the  Last  month  I  am  feeding  mainly  on  Dried  Fish(  which  was  available  for  human  consumption)...  along  with  pellets  ..........they  love  those  dried  fish....  They  have  started  Growing  bulk....  and  i  am  sure  that  they  have  started  growing  at  a  faster  rate  now..
 Reg  the  Color  and  Pattern  ........  It  had  changed  a  lot  and  i  have  posted  their  photos  which  were  taken  on  various  time  during  these  7  months  and  i  wish  i  would  love  to  post  it  continously  so  that  other  members  would  know  about  Oscars...  Have  a  look  at  my  Album  in  the  following  link
 The  growth  of  the  Tiger  

whenever  they  see  me  coming  near  their  tank........They  become  over  excited  and  which  inturn  makes  me  excited.........  they  are  an  awesome  pet...  If   I  had  not  been  here  in  IAH,  I  wonder  whether  i  Would  have  bought  these  beauties...........
 25-OCT  The  color  change  .........with  more  orange  

25-OCT  Angry................  the  color  changes  to  pale  ...i  have  separated  both  of  them  with  the  divider  you  can  see  in  the  above  picture..  .but  after  water  changes  i  normally  leave  both  of  them  together  ....  and  they  will  stay  for  some  time  and  they  will  become  agressive  ....before  they  start  to  attack  each  other  i  will  separate  them....   

19  nov......  tried  something  different  with  lights.....  

25-Nov  ....after  a  water  change

Last edited by AQUARIST on Thu Jan 29, 2009 7:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
GatorX

PostPosted: Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Those  are  some  really  nice  oscars...  I  got  a  2"  tiger..
amitkrm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:20 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Aquarist,  It  seems  you  have  kept  your  O's  in  bare  bottom  tank.
 It  is  good  for  the  Os'  to  keep  them  in  bare  bottom  tank  or  Planted  Tank.
 Expert  please  reply.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:40 am Post subject: Re: Oscar color identification Reply with quote

Nice  oscars  mate,  good  to  see  you  taking  good  care  of  them.  Thumb Up  
 What  is  the  tank  size,  filter.
 Amit,  oscars  are  boisterous  fish,  they  have  a  tendency  of  rearranging  their  tank,  digging  in  the  gravel.
 A  planted  tank  is  the  last  place  for  them.  I  had  a  pair  for  the  short  time,  before  giving  it  away  due  to  moving,  many  times  I  would  find  pieces  of  small  rocks  chamging  their  places.
 Sometime  back  I  think  Ravi  had  posted  a  picture  in  which  the  oscars  had  build  a  mound  near  heater  and  the  heater  has  burnt  out  and  sand  fused  with  heater  making  a  big  mound  of  fused  sand.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: