189. Guest
190. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Correct  me  if  i  have  understood  it  wrong.  Smile  
 You  have  fiiled  up  tha  tank  with  water  without  any  substrate,  are  you  going  to  add  the  substrate  now,  while  the  tanks  is  half  full?
 Anyway,  for  a  planted  tank  of  this  size  eheim  is  best  bet,  multiple  power  heads  will  create  turbulance  in  the  tank.
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:11 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,

No  substrate  at  this  stage.  Do  a  cleaning  of  tank  walls  and  remove  and  clean  the  tank  once  again.  Washing  the  substrate  and  add  them.  Then  half  filled  with  water  for  planting.  May  be  all  these  would  happen  in  next  two  weeks,  not  immediately.  

And  on  the  filtration,  I  heard  more  positive  comments  and  suggestions  for  EHEIM,  so  will  get  it  during  a  week  after  plants.  Until  that  let  me  have  a  dual  cartridge  filter  setup  (this  will  be  there  for  ever  along  with  EHEIM).  I  think  along  with  this,  I  may  go  for  a  power  head.  Since  am  going  to  have  DIY  CO2  setup  (based  on  an  article  I  found),  am  not  going  to  add  too  much  of  Power  heads  as  they  obviously  create  lack  of  CO2  in  water.  

Thanks  for  the  tips  and  please  correct  if  this  setup  has  any  flaws  in  it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Sounds  OK.  Thumb Up  
 BTW  your  heading  says  it  is  going  to  be  a  planted  tank,  but  you  have  given  details  of  everything,  tank,  substrate,  fishes,  filter,  but  no  plants??  Very Happy
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2008 10:40 am Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Thats  correct  Sandeep.  I  missed  it.

Camy  brought  out  a  wonderful  list  of  plants  for  me  (thanks  to  Camy  Smile  )  and  here  are  them...

Ammania  Gracillis
 Mayaca  fluviatilis
 Echinodorus  tenellus
 Crypt  wendtii
 Didiplis  Diandra
 Red  Ludwigia
 Giant  Vals
 Crypt  Parva  
 Alternanthera  reineckii
 Amazon
 Cabomba
 Varigated  polysperma
 Rotala  Wallichii
 Ludwigia  inclinata
 Rotall  roudifoolia  pink
 Rotalla  rountdif  green
 Sagittaria

And  by  now,  I  replaced  the  dirty  water  and  cleaned  the  tank  last  evening.  Filled  with  water.  I  saw  water  been  more  clear  this  morning.  I  set  filter  to  run  over  the  night,  just  boyu  1800  model  (1100  ltr/hr).  Not  sure  who  helped,  but  I  love  to  see  the  water  more  clear.  Will  post  some  pictures  of  empty  tank  and  keep  an  album  ready  for  you  all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 3:55 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

What  lighting  are  you  going  in  for,  some  of  these  plants  are  very  high  light  plants  or  they  they  will  lose  there  colouration.
 I  was  just  wondering  as  you  do  not  have  a  substrate  now,  why  are  you  putting  so  much  labour  in  filling  the  tank  and  emptying  it.???  Very Happy
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2008 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Off  topic,

Hey  Sandeep,  Great  to  have  you  back  !!!   Cheer
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:04 am Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Hi  Sandeep,

The  lighting  information  is  here  below.  I  bought  the  hood  along  with  the  light.  So  its  out  of  my  plan.  

6  Tubes:  2  Osram  Sky  White:  8000  Kelvin  &  4  Philips  true  light  6500  Kelvin.

My  room  temperature  is  about  28-30  deg.  The  reason  for  changing  the  water  on  empty  tank  is  that  I  had  water  problems  in  last  couple  of  months  and  what  I  filled  early  was  so  dense  and  dirty  and  that  settled  down  at  day  6-7.  So  cleaned  the  tank  and  refilled  to  ensure  the  water  not  going  to  affect  the  plants.  No  more  changes  as  of  now,  tomorrow  I  might  get  the  substrate  at  GEM  or  on  saturday  will  make  it  for  sure.
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 2:04 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

sgravi2k  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sandeep,

The  lighting  information  is  here  below.  I  bought  the  hood  along  with  the  light.  So  its  out  of  my  plan.  

6  Tubes:  2  Osram  Sky  White:  8000  Kelvin  &  4  Philips  true  light  6500  Kelvin.

My  room  temperature  is  about  28-30  deg.  The  reason  for  changing  the  water  on  empty  tank  is  that  I  had  water  problems  in  last  couple  of  months  and  what  I  filled  early  was  so  dense  and  dirty  and  that  settled  down  at  day  6-7.  So  cleaned  the  tank  and  refilled  to  ensure  the  water  not  going  to  affect  the  plants.  No  more  changes  as  of  now,  tomorrow  I  might  get  the  substrate  at  GEM  or  on  saturday  will  make  it  for  sure.                

Well  people,  he  just  has  too  much  time  with  him,  thats  the  reason  behind  all  the  water  change,  and  here  is  one  info  he  left  out  -  he  wants  a  DIY  CO2  setup  ready  too-for  an  empty  tank  Very Happy
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:24 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Well  Vignesh,  its  all  until  I  get  the  gravel  and  plants.  Unlucky  me,  the  lfs  keeps  asking  me  to  wait  for  gravel  or  on  a  weekday  I  will  have  to  go  around  to  get  it  after  office  hours.  So,  attempted  to  make  the  time  spent  here  Smile
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:19 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

nature_lover  wrote  (View  Post):                
Off  topic,

Hey  Sandeep,  Great  to  have  you  back  !!!  Â Cheer                

Peck  

Quote:                

The  reason  for  changing  the  water  on  empty  tank  is  that  I  had  water  problems  in  last  couple  of  months  and  what  I  filled  early  was  so  dense  and  dirty  and  that  settled  down  at  day  6-7.                  

Has  this  water  problem  been  sorted  out,  a  new  tank  without  any  fishes  should  not  have  dirty  water,  please  sort  out  your  water  problems  before  settting  up  the  tank.
 If  your  source  water  is  dirty,  use  filtered  water  but  not  RO  water.
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Yes  Sandeep,  

I  did  ensure  them  now.  First  time  I  used  it  directly  from  tap  and  this  was  found  dirty.  I  now  this  time  when  I  filled  and  ran  with  filter,  I  do  see  the  water  being  clean  and  no  much  thing  settled  at  bottom.  

I  think  I  need  to  store  prior  using  it  to  avoid  this  minimum  sediment/dust.  I  have  two  barrels  of  200-300  litters  each.  So  this  would  help.  And  by  now  you  could  have  understood  the  labor  I  spent  in  cleaning  and  filling  the  empty  tank  Smile  Buying  a  fish  and  plant  may  not  disturb  much,  but  them  dying  of  course  bugs  a  lot.   Smile
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Hello  All,

Finally  I  setup  the  tank,  having  Vignesh  helping  me.   Cheer  Could  not  make  all  those  plants  that  I  listed,  so  bought  what  was  available  at  Kolathur.  And  more  over  I  did  not  use  laterite,  instead  I  bought  plant  base  from  Kolathur  and  used  it.  I  don't  have  its  spec  handy  to  post  it  now.  Will  post  it  tomorrow.  Please  find  the  pictures  of  the  tank  at  my  picassa  album.  Registered  for  the  gallery  in  IAH,  once  I  get  it  will  post  here  itself.

Expecting  a  good  result  with  plant  base.  Now  it  also  has  a  DYI  CO2  system.
 It  was  setup  initially,  will  move  to  pressurized  CO2  setup  based  on  its  results  and  how  wealthy  my  wallet  will  be  Smile

Lights  are  on  for  2  x  3hrs  for  now.  Please  comment  on  how  much  longer  I  need  to  keep  the  lights  on.  The  light  specs  are  in  this  thread  itself.  

Water  temperature  in  88  deg  F  /  30  deg  C  now.  I  kept  the  window  near  the  tank  open  and  keeping  the  ceiling  fan  running  at  normal  speed.  (Don't  know  any  other  way  to  cool  the  tank  immediately).  

All  these  pictures  are  of  Sunday  (6  Jul  0Cool.  Now  the  water  is  settling  down.  Planning  to  add  the  live  stock  when  its  going  to  be  clean.  May  be  this  weekend  or  early  next  week.  I  also  have  a  Boyu  1800  model  filter  (1100  ltr/hr)  for  this  tank.  Decision  for  a  canister/EHEIM  will  be  later  based  on  your  suggestions  after  looking  at  the  status  of  the  tank.  (I  will  update  the  pictures  album)

Thanks  for  all  of  those  who  helped  with  your  comments  and  suggestions!!  And  for  Vignesh  and  Prem,  a  special  big  thanks  Smile  

http://picasaweb.google.com/ravikumar.govindaraju/My4FtPlantedProject
Anandaqu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

That's  an  amazing  piece  of  bog  wood  you  have  got...use  it  to  full  effect  and  plant  your  planting  around  the  wood...

cheers
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:57 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Thank  you  Anandaqu  Smile

I  searched  and  found  a  stone  from  Elliots  beach  this  morning,  will  use  it  to  place  the  wood.  This  wood  I  bought  from  Aquastar.  Vignesh  has  another  good  piece  of  it  Smile  waiting  for  him  to  set  it  on  his  tank  and  may  be  he  would  open  it  for  our  eyes...

I  would  need  to  order  more  of  mint  and  e.tenellus,  rotall  roudifoolia  and  crypt  parva  to  plant  around  the  wood.  I  think  this  would  be  good  to  plant  around  the  wood.  I  don't  wanted  to  have  moss  as  am  not  that  much  aqua-educated  Very Happy
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2008 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: My New Planted Tank - 4 Ft - WIP Reply with quote

Hello  Folks,

About  to  update  on  the  soil  base  that  I  used  instead  of  laterite  or  peat.  I  used  Ocean  Free's  product  called  Absolute  Plant  Base.  So  far  I  heard  no  one  used,  so  am  in  trial  with  it  now.  Just  thought  of  putting  something  here  about  the  plant  base  for  you  to  write  up  how  you  would  feel  on  this  base.

Am  getting  you  what  I  found  on  product  pamphlet.

This  product  contains  long  term  emission  of  nutrients,  ammonic  salt,  phosphate,  potassium  and  trace  elements  like  iron,  copper,  zinc,  iodine  etc.  Also,  with  the  added  special  bacteria  in  this  product,  it  prevents  the  base  area  from  algae  growth  or  formation  of  sludge.  It  will  help  long  term  water  purification  effect.  This  product  also  contains  combining  special  humic  acid  that  will  leave  the  plant  base  sludge  and  algae  to  the  minimum.

Now  its  your  time  to  post  your  comments  on  this.  With  this,  will  I  need  to  take  any  measures,  am  at  week  1  of  my  planted  tank.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: