Latest Acquisition
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  :| |:
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> Native Indian Fishes

#76: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: MarcLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:02 am
    —

andyrushworth  wrote  (View  Post):                

Hi  Marc  ,  the  colour  of  the  fish  in  Andrew  pic  was  making  me  think  D,ashmeadi  the  lower  lobe  of  the  caudal  in  Ashmeadi  is  really  red  and  the  tip  of  the  dorsal  is  rounded  also   Thumb Up  I  have  about  four  in  one  of  my  tanks   Smile  

Thanks  Andy  for  the  id  and  clarification  Thumb Up  

andyrushworth  wrote  (View  Post):                

Andrew  does  get  some  beautifully  enigmatic  fishes  from  time  to  time  .  Thumbs Up                

He  sure  does.....  Thumb Up  

Ashwin  wrote  (View  Post):                

Any  Idea  what  is  this  fish  beta  posted.....it  looks  similar  to  the  H  kurali  juvenile  i  posted?  Any  idea  where  it  was  collected  from??

The  fish  Beta  posted  are  now  fossils  Very Happy  ..........only  the  number  of  barbels  can  tell.

1  pair  =  H.  curmuca
 2  pairs  =  H.  kurali

#77: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: Ashwin PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:21 am
    —
 Got  it  on  the  barbels  front.  .  .'Very Happy'

i  could  not  see  the  second  set  on  mine  (probably  too  fine  as  it  was  a  juvenile  or  probably  damaged).  .  .  any  idea  on  the  area  of  collection,  of  yours  beta???

I  came  across  a  report  were.  .  H  curmuca  and  H  kurali  were  collected  in  same  river.  .  .  .  that  is  Bharathapuzha  river  in  Kerala,  no  mention  on  collection  zones  (probably  were  different,  as  it  is  a  large  river)

#78: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: betaLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:10 pm
    —
 I  got  it  from  Southern  India  Aquarist,  so  must  have  made  its  way  from  Andrew.

#79: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: Ashwin PostPosted: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:20 am
    —
 That  is  a  dead  end  then.  .  .

#80: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: Ashwin PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:38 pm
    —
 New  fish  to  confirm  Identification.  .  .  this  i  always  believed  is  juvenile  H  thomasii[i].

If  so  the  adult  has  a  great  difference  in  coloration

Last edited by Ashwin on Tue Mar 06, 2012 1:21 pm; edited 1 time in total

#81: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: betaLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:33 pm
    —
 Thats  a  stunner!

#82: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: MarcLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:34 pm
    —
 It  is  not  H.  thomassi.  H.  thomassi  has  34  or  less  lateral  line  scales.  

Your  fish  has  close  to  40  scales.  Will  check  out  other  species  and  get  back  Smile

#83: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: hayath_dynoLocation: Bangalore PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:45 pm
    —
 Drool  
 Fantastic  combination  of  silvers  n  the  striking  reds

#84: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: Ashwin PostPosted: Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:00 pm
    —
 This  is  were  my  confusion  with  H  thomasii  started.  

I  always  believed  the  fish  posted  above  is  H  thomasii  and  when  Marc  said  the  photo  i  posted  earlier  was  H  thomasii,  i  had  the  clarify  ascertain  this  was  a  juvenile  or  a  separate  species.

The  photo  posted  earlier

#85: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: MarcLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:15 pm
    —

Ashwin  wrote  (View  Post):                
This  is  were  my  confusion  with  H  thomasii  started.  

I  always  believed  the  fish  posted  above  is  H  thomasii                  

I  feel  your  fish  is  H.  lithopidos

Reason:  
 1.  39  lateral  line  scales  (Day  1878)
 2.  Caudal  fin  with  outer  rays  whitish  (Talwar  &  Jhingran  1991)
 3.  Grey  band  behind  opercle  (Day  1878)
 4.  Dorsal  fin  height  almost  equal  to  body  depth  (Day  1878)
 5.  Type  locality  South  Canara  (Day  1878)

#86: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: Ashwin PostPosted: Fri Feb 11, 2011 9:22 pm
    —
 Great  to  hear  that.  .  .  that  is  one  more  Hypselobarbus  identified  and  i  can  go  behind  the  next

#87: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: vyastkLocation: Bangalore / Coimbatore PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:22 pm
    —
 What  do  you  guys  reckon  these  are?

This  fish  was  caught  on  a  line  from  the  Chalakudy!

Pic  Courtesy  :  Jeen

#88: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: MarcLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:42 pm
    —
 H.  curmuca  or  kurali

#89: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: SeverumkidLocation: Hyderabad PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:30 am
    —
 OMG....after  6  pages  we  are  still  at  confusion   Chuckle  

No  wonder,  we  are  dealing  with  something  that  created  us,  MOTHER  NATURE.  Good  going  guys,  very  interesting  thread  and  I  am  sure  some  concrete  ID  will  come  out  at  the  end  of  it  but  does  not  seem  very  soon   Very Happy

#90: Re: Latest Acquisition Author: baril PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 5:10 pm
    —
 Digging  up  the  zombie   Smile  

Wondering  may  anyone  chimes  on  the  "Hypselobarbus  mussalah"?   Is  this  one  Sykes's  mistake  in  description  in  1839  on  the  mahseer,  or  is  there  real  fish  that  was  extinct?   If  the  fish  is  really  the  mahseer  then  the  genus  name  Hypselobarbus  would  be  synonym  of  Tor  and  Gonoproktopterus  would  be  used  again?

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> Native Indian Fishes

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours

Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  :| |:
Page 6 of 6