Identify the Plants..
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> Aquascaping

#1: Identify the Plants.. Author: keluthiLocation: Thanjaavur, Thamizhnaadu. PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:38 am
    —
 A  friend  of  mine  wanted  to  make  a  replica  of  this  tank.  So,  please  identify  the  plants  and  their  respective  spots/layout  in  this  tank..

#2: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: keluthiLocation: Thanjaavur, Thamizhnaadu. PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:42 pm
    —
 Hhmmmmmmm.....  Ok,  I'll  wait  for  some  more  time...!!  Help

#3: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: jerin111111Location: hebbal, Bangalore PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2013 6:12 pm
    —
 guess  its  got  HC  ,  dwarf  hair  grass  looks  like  to  me

#4: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: jabbaLocation: hebbal,banglore PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 2:04 am
    —
 With  this  picture  I  can  identify  hairgrass  and  hc  cuba.  A  link  to  a  better  pic  will  help

#5: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: keluthiLocation: Thanjaavur, Thamizhnaadu. PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:43 am
    —
 *Dear  members,  my  wife  gave  birth  to  a  'Girl  Baby'  on  25/03/2013  at  23:10.  Happiest  moment  in  my  life..

Can   use  Staurogyne  or  E.Triandra  instead  of  HC,  as  HC  seems  to  be  more  challanging  even  for  the  seniors.?!
 What  about  lighting?  I  want  to  use  the  commercially  available  tubes  or  CFL/PLLs  as  my  friend  does  not  want  to  spend  more  money,  at  present...

#6: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: radjanair PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:18 am
    —
 Hi  Keluthi,
 Congratulation.   "Lakshmi  Vandhaachu"   God  Bless  You.

#7: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: keluthiLocation: Thanjaavur, Thamizhnaadu. PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 8:29 am
    —
 Thank  you  very  much  Nair  sir..  This  is  my  First  Baby  and  my  whole  family  is  very  happy  like  never  before......

#8: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: NidhiLocation: Bangalore, Prakashnagar. PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:18 am
    —
 Two  other  plant  is  riccia  and  E.tenellus  ..  Smile

#9: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: DRDHEEPLocation: Marthandam (Kanyakumari district) & Trivandrum PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 9:54 am
    —
 Congrats  keluthi.  You  wont  be  having  so  much  time  to  spend  with  the  hobby  anymore.
 http://xn----8sbaai7aenoh1bf4b.xn--p1ai/sites/default/files/users/57/start_akva/cust-04.jpg  is  a  full  size  image.
 Background  has  E.vivapara

#10: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: NidhiLocation: Bangalore, Prakashnagar. PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 10:10 am
    —
 I  would  suggest  you  get  glossostigma  for  ground  cover  instead  of  H.C.cuba..
 And  most  of  us  use  commercially  available  lights  itself..  calculate  wattage  or  lumens  required  for  your  friends  tank  size  and  choose  any  T5,  CFL  or  PLL  in  865  or  965  rated  bulbs.

#11: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: jabbaLocation: hebbal,banglore PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 11:51 am
    —
 Nidhi  are  you  sure  it  is  E.  tenellus?
 It  looks  different

#12: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: NidhiLocation: Bangalore, Prakashnagar. PostPosted: Wed Mar 27, 2013 12:50 pm
    —

jabba  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nidhi  are  you  sure  it  is  E.  tenellus?
 It  looks  different                

Not  100%  sure..  the  image  quality  is  not  enough  to  ID  the  plant.
 I  even  doubt  about  the  H.C.  Cuba..  It  can  be  glosso  as  well...

#13: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: keluthiLocation: Thanjaavur, Thamizhnaadu. PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 8:05 am
    —
 @Nidhi:  Thanks  for  the  layout  diagram.  And  I  think  both  HC  &  Glosso  demads  high  light  &  abundant  CO2  and  heard  that  even  some  experts  fail  with  maintaining  them.  So,  I  want  a  'perfect'  alternative  for  them.  If  I  use  ET  or  Staurogyne,  will  I  get  a  similar  result  (or  somewhat  closer..)???!!

@DRDHEEP:  Thanks  man..  Yes,  you  are  correct,  that's  why  I've  sold  two  of  my  tanks  already,  my  60gallon  &  24gallon  'high'.  Also,  thanks  for  thhe  link.

As  my  friend  wants  to  finish  the  tank  within  two  weeks  or  asap,  I  need  some  more  &  quick  help  from  you  people.  And,  definitely  it  is  going  to  be  a  low-medium  set-up,  plz  mind  that  his  budget  is  Rs.4000/-  and  I  can  make  him  to  spend  an  extra  1K...
 First,  substrate...  I've  planned  to  purchase  a  sack  of  Vermicompost,  for  the  bottom  most  layer.  What  else  I  need  to  get  for  adding  to  the  substrate?
 Lighting..  Currently,  I  have  a  'Bajaj  14W  T5  2ft'.  Can  I  add  3-4  more  of  them  to  get  the  required  lighting?

#14: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: NidhiLocation: Bangalore, Prakashnagar. PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 9:42 am
    —
 keluthi...
 What's  the  size  of  the  tank..?  lighting  depends  on  the  size  of  the  tank.
 And  no  matter  what  any  one  says..  you  need  good  lighting  for  carpet  plants,  or  else  you  will  not  get  the  desired  result.
 You  just  need  a  hand  full  of  vermicompost..  don't  use  too  much  of  it.
 You  can  use  soil  dug  up  from  garden  or  a  wild  place,  and  remove  all  the  organic  matter  from  the  soil  by  rinsing..
 So  your  substrate  would  be  like  this..  bottom  1  inch  soil,  sprinkle  a  handful  of  vermicompost  on  this  and  use  sand  or  gravel  on  top  for  another  1.5  inches..
 After  setting  up  the  substrate,  you  can  plant  the  plants..  but  you  need  to  wait  for  1-2  months  before  you  can  fully  stock  the  fishes..
 Because  the  soil  will  be  releasing  lots  of  chemicals  during  this  transition  period  in  to  submerged  form..  so  the  water  parameters  will  bad  for  fishes..
 I  would  suggest  to  do  50%  water  changes  every  day  during  the  first  month..  after  this,  weekly  once  50%  water  changes.
 Slowly  start  stocking  the  fishes  after  the  first  month..  may  be  like,  a  pair  or  two  every  week.

#15: Re: Identify the Plants.. Author: rasikanayakLocation: Bangalore PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2013 10:08 am
    —

keluthi  wrote  (View  Post):                
@As  my  friend  wants  to  finish  the  tank  within  two  weeks  or  asap,  I  need  some  more  &  quick  help  from  you  people.  And,  definitely  it  is  going  to  be  a  low-medium  set-up,  plz  mind  that  his  budget  is  Rs.4000/-  and  I  can  make  him  to  spend  an  extra  1K...                

If  your  friend  has  a  limited  time  frame  to  set  up  the  aquarium,  then  advise  him  for  a  fish  only  tank.  He  can  start  a  planted  tank  later,  when  he  has  leisure.

Regards,

Edit:  Unknowlingly  there  has  been  a  serious  breach  of  a  IAH  rule.  "Respect  Copyright".  If  a  picture  does  not  belong  to  you,  use  it  only  with  the  permission  of  the  owner.  Or  else  a  link  to  that  picture  is  enough.  Copy  paste  is  also  frowned  upon.  
 Dinesh,  Kindly  edit  your  first  post.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> Aquascaping

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2