Chilling the tank in summer!
Select messages from # through # Forum FAQ
[/[Print]\]
Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> DIY

#1: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: natboxLocation: Madras-Chennai PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 6:58 pm
    —
 man  i  am  in  a  period  of  mourning  because  i  lost  my  most  fav  possessions,5  pairs  of  really  healthy  and  beautiful  neon  tetras  due  to  the  heat.i  simply  feel  really  guilty  because  i  could  do  nothing  while  they  perished  like  flies!can  someone  tell  me  how  to  maintain  aqaurium  temp  at  a  constant  level?how  much  a  commercial  chiiler  costs  and  any  other  homemade  options?i  tried  putting  frozen  bottles  of  water  every  now  and  then  but  not  much  effect!plz  help!and  can  t  even  switch  on  the  lights  because  it  heats  up  the  tank  so  lost  a  few  plants  except  vals!helppppppppp

#2: Re: chiiling the tank in summer! Author: vkvLocation: Mumbai PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 7:25 pm
    —
 DIY  chiller

There  are  some  more  discussions  on  IAH  on  this.  Nauzer  was  working  on  something  as  well  I  think.  

HTH,
 Venkat

#3: Re: chiiling the tank in summer! Author: arnabroyLocation: BANGALORE PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:06 pm
    —
 I  feel  putting  some  ice  cubes  in  a  plastic  packet  and  then  immersing  the  plastic  packet  in  the  tank  will  help  but  for  prolonged  periods  off  cooling  you  might  have  to  wrap  the  aquarium  with  a  wet  cloth  and  then  put  a  table  fan  next  to  it..  as  the  water  evaporates  from  the  cloth  it  should  bring  the  temperature  down  in  the  tank..

#4: Re: chiiling the tank in summer! Author: natboxLocation: Madras-Chennai PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:29 pm
    —
 but  u  have  to  wet  the  cloth  every  now  and  then  to  keep  the  tank  cool  and  it  s  not  easy  with  me  going  to  college  and  stuff.

#5: Re: chiiling the tank in summer! Author: saikumarLocation: HYD-is-good PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 8:54 pm
    —
 even  i  thot  like  arnaboy  Smile  ...of  putting  a  wet  cloth(wet  gunny  sac  actually)
 then  allow  water  to  trickle  from  some  pipings,in  a  regular  dripping  manner(like  drip  irrigation  method)..even  im  a  student  like  natbox  Smile  ...so  was  thinking  to  impement  this  idea  this  summer..
 but  heard  that  moonsooon  are  already  here  Chuckle,but  will  try  to  give  it  a  try  Very Happy  
 thankyou
 saikumar

#6: Re: chiiling the tank in summer! Author: deepeshLocation: chandigarh PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2007 10:57 pm
    —
 There  was  a  thread  on  chillers  and  most  people  there  said  they  were  using  small  fans.

The  computer  fans  come  in  80  mm  and  120  mm  fans,  both  of  which  run  on  12  volts.  Gamer  nuts  prefer  the  120  mm  fans  (when  not  going  crazy  over  heatpipes  and  all  that)  because  they  are  quieter  and  move  more  air.  Fish  and  planted  and  more  importantly  salted  nuts  fix  the  fans  so  that  the  flow  is  over  the  water  and  evaporates  it  causing  cooling.

Somebody  on  the  thread  mentioned  that  there  were  small  chinese  fans  that  ran  directly  off  the  mains  voltage  so  that  would  be  convenient.  Anyway  it  would  be  realistic  to  expect  maybe  a  3  degree  drop  in  temperature.

My  solution  here  in  hot  and  dry  chandigarh  is  to  keep  the  tanks  along  the  flow  from  a  desert  cooler.  My  monsoon  is  oh  sooooo  far  away  up  north.  <glum>

deepesh

#7: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: rggLocation: Bangalore PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:26 am
    —
 Folks,
   I  had  a  crazy  idea  and  this  works  really  well,
   What  i  did  was  just  bought  an  earthen  pot,  And  then  placed  it  on  sand  in  a  level  just  about  higher  to  the  tank.  I  also  bought  a  cover  lid  made  of  the  same  earthen  clay  and  was  able  to  drill  a  hole  (  though  broke  2  lids  in  the  process  ).  Also  got  a  hole  drilled  somewhere  in  the  lower  half  of  the  pot   but  this  was  with  the  help  of  the  potter.  Note  that  this  was  a  really  very  small  one  drilled  such  that  only  air  pipe  goes  in.  I  then  just  glued  it  with  silicon.

I  then  placed  a  controller  valve  in  the  outlet  (used  for  airpump  for  pump  output  control).

Then  filled  the  pot  compleatly  and  then  immersed  the  inlet  pipe  into  the  tank  and  siphoned  the  water  from  the  tank  to  the  pot  and  released  the  control  valave  slowly  and  this  made  a  auto  shipon  work.

By  this  i  was  able  to  reduce  the  water  temprature  by  more  than  5  deg.  With  this  one  has  to  be  careful  to  ensure  water  siphoning  of  inlet  and  outlet  is  the  same.

Also  i  feel  one  has  to  ensure  that  the  heater  is  on  24Hrs.

Raghu

#8: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: babuvtLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:35 am
    —
 Hi  Raghu,
 seems  to  be  a  interesting  one!  If  possible  can  you  post  some  pictures  of  this  cooling  setup.Are  you  able  to  blend  the  earthen  pot  within  your  tank  aquascape?What  is  the  avg  temp.  of  this  kind  of  tank  setup?

#9: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: saikumarLocation: HYD-is-good PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:37 am
    —
 hmm  cool  idea  ragu,was  my  second  idea  i  guess,but  dint  guess  that  siphoning  wd  really  work,so  thought  i  should  have  a  powerhead.
 but  one  more  idea  i  can  bring  out  is...to  use  the  pitcher  itself  as  a  filter,
 i.e.  i  saw  somewhere  in  this  forum  about  that  filter  media  in  glass  chambers,so  why  not  have  them  in  the  pitcher,
      so  we  can  have  both  cooling+filteration  at  same  time  Very Happy  whats  say?  Smile  

thankyou
 saikumar

#10: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: rggLocation: Bangalore PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 10:53 am
    —
 Babu,
   You  do  not  really  need  chillers  in  bangalore  as  the  aquarium  temp  of  mine  despite  having  T5  Ho  constants  just  above  water  surface   on  the  glass  does  not  seem  to  go  above  31  deg.  I  tried  this  just  to  look  at  how  my  crazy  ided  works.

By  the  earthen  pot  without  the  heater  i  could  get  the  temp  to  as  low  as  27  deg  in  a  span  of  a  day..

I  will  try  to  post  the  pics  to  night.  

Saikumar.

Might  be  a  good  idea  to  use  it  as  a  filter  but  the  power  of  the  siphon  wont  be  much,  so  achieveing  filtration  Hmmm....  Not  sure.

Note  that  the  key  to  get  the  temp  cooling  effect  is  to  have  a  small  hole  in  the  pot  so  that  water  remains  in  the  pot  for  a  longer  time.  if  water  flow  is  too  much  then  water  might  not  stay  for  too  long  in  the  pot  and  hence  cooling  effect  might  be  minimal.

Also  note  that  the  key  here  is  that  the  eathen  pot  is  just  above  the  tank  surface,  If  there  is  a  height  difference  then  achieveing  auto  siphoning  would  be  really  difficult.

Raghu

#11: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: babuvtLocation: Chennai PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:11 am
    —
 Thanks  Raghu,  I  shall  wait  for  your  pics.  BTW,as  you  said  heating  isn't  a  problem  in  B'lore(that  too  with  recent  monsoons)  but  I  would  be  moving  permanently  to  chennai  sometime  early  July  this  year  and  hence  more  interested  in  this  topic   Very Happy

#12: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: ks PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 11:27 am
    —
 Hi  Babu,

In  chennai,  it  is  very  very  hot  now  and  many  of  fellow  hobbyists  in  chennai  have  lost  some  fish  or  other  due  to  this  heat.  I  suggest  you  better  try  to  move  them  after  this  heat  wave  .  IMO,  we  will  not  get  any  respite  from  this  summer  heat  even  in  the  month  of  July.   Sad  

Thanks
 KS

#13: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: natboxLocation: Madras-Chennai PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 12:40 pm
    —
 i  honestly  feel  tht  gunny  bags  tied  around  the  tank  and  made  damp  can  do  a  lot  good  .gotta  try  it  and  about  tht  earthen  pot  method  mentioned  above,it  would  be  good  if  pics  were  posted!

#14: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: gokulinLocation: Coimbatore PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:46 pm
    —
 Yes  Raghu,  pls  post  pics  of  the  Earthern  Chiller........  will  be  helpful  to  see  it  as   a  picture...

#15: Re: Chilling the tank in summer! Author: SandeepLocation: Gurgaon (Delhi NCR) PostPosted: Tue May 29, 2007 1:59 pm
    —
 nice  idea  Raghu,  pics  will  definitely  help  a  lot.

-Sandeep

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ -> DIY

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT + 5.5 Hours

Goto page 1, 2  Next  :| |:
Page 1 of 2