Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:16 am Post subject: Confusion reg building DIY water tank-help required
I had approached a couple of guys and they have come out with the following requirements of the dimensionsfor a 4ftx2ftx2ft-12mm clear float glass
1. 48inchesx24inches-3pieces [ this includes the bottom glass]
B. For the support glass
1. 27inchesx3inches-2pieces[this obviously to be fixed on the top along the length side]
2. 23inchesx3inches-2pieces[this obviously is for fixing along the breadth inside the tank]
C. Second suggestion
2. 47inchesx23inches-1piece [this is for the bottom pane-and this is the first difference between the two] in comparion to that stated in A1 above
3. 24inchesx23inches-2 pieces
D. For the support glass
1. 48inchesx2inches-2pieces [to be fixed on topalong the length side]
2. 36inchesx2inches-2pieces[to be fixed inside the tank along the length side]-this is the second difference between the two in comparison to B2 above
Which of the two is right from a technical standpoint both w.r.t to the bottom pane and the support glass and any other precaution one needs to take while building a tank of this size.
Joined: Jan 20, 2008 Posts: 473 Location: MUMBAI (Goregaon-east)
Posted: Sun Jul 20, 2008 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Confusion reg building DIY water tank-help required
If you are using 12mm glass for a 4' tank, I don't think that you would require additional supports but it does not harm to have. IMO, just one support (4" wide x 2') running across the middle of the tank....front to back would be enough. On the other hand, if the supports are running throughout the length, you won't have any obstruction in the middle of the tank (which can sometimes be irritating while cleaning). So you can just have supports along the length. That's enough.
If you plant to have a planted tank, then I would suggest that keep the height of the tank at a maximum of 18" so that the light from above can reach till the bottom.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum