28. Guest
29. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 28,777

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Some query related to crypts
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Some query related to crypts

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:44 pm Post subject: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

Hi  frnds

First  of  all  Happy  Holi  Smile  

Well  i  am  having  super  growth  of  crypts  in  my  tank.most  of  the  fore  as  well  as  mid  ground  is  filled  with  plants.now  i  want  to  cut  some  plants  for  my  another  tank  but  dont  know  how  to  seprate  baby  plants  from  the  mother  plant.tomorrow  is  a  holiday  so  thinking  off  doing  water  change  as  well  as  trimming  please  guide  me

thanx  in  advance.
drug
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:48 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

Laterite  tank?
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:50 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

well  not  actually  laterite.i  am  using  mixture  of  garden  soil  and  soilrite  above  that  regular  river  gravel.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:58 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

Crypts  propagate  by  runners.  You  can  cut  the  young  plants  from  the  older  one  and  move  then  to  your  new  tank.
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:02 am Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

psimhan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Crypts  propagate  by  runners.  You  can  cut  the  young  plants  from  the  older  one  and  move  then  to  your  new  tank.

but  how?cant  see  any  runner.  Sad
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:43 am Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

Valid  point  by  Unni!

The  runners  will  be  deep  in  the  substrate.  To  separate  the  plants  you  will  have  to  pull  out  some  roots  to  reach  the  runners.

If  you  have  laterite  in  your  substrate,  then  you  are  in  trouble  when  reaching  the  runners.  For  the  laterite  will  cloud  the  waters.

Regards,
 Nayak.
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:57 am Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

If  done  tactfully  the  crypts  can  be  removed  even  from  a  laterite  tank.  Venkat  and  I  removed  close   to  100  crypts  from  his  6  footer  couple  of  weeks  ago.  

Just  ensure  you  dig  your  fingers  right  beneath  the  soil  and  pull  the  crypt  from  the  base,  slowly,  very  very  slowly.
abhi_123
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                
Valid  point  by  Unni!

The  runners  will  be  deep  in  the  substrate.  To  separate  the  plants  you  will  have  to  pull  out  some  roots  to  reach  the  runners.

If  you  have  laterite  in  your  substrate,  then  you  are  in  trouble  when  reaching  the  runners.  For  the  laterite  will  cloud  the  waters.

Regards,
 Nayak.                

that's  also  worrying  me  actually.afraid  of  soil  and  soilrite  creating  menace  in  my  tank
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 5:15 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

I've  been  a  cryptocorean  since  1992  --  they  have  this  "plant  me  and  leave  me  alone"  type  of  personality.  Uprooting  established  crypts  generally  creates  a  lot  of  mess  --  the  root  system  spreads  quite  wide  and  dense.  Runners  form  very  close  to  mother  plant  and  not  so  easy  to  separate.

If  you  have  to,  run  a  surgical  knife  around  the  root  system  taking  care  not  to  damage  the  crown  and  pull  it  up  gently.  A  lot  of  patience  usually  works  well  ...
Preeths
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 7:20 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

This  is  how  I  DO  it.  Use  one  hand  and  place  it  on  the  substrate  such  that  the  crypt  is  between  the  middle  and  index  finger.  Use  this  tho  keep  the  substrate  down  and  then  pull  the  crypt  using  the  other  hand.  this  way  you  wont  disturb  too  much  soil  below  the  gravel.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Some query related to crypts Reply with quote

abhi  don't  worry  too  much,  Stop  all  filtration  pumps,  dig  your  fingers  only  under  the  plant,  slowly  move  your  fingers  and  loosen  the  soil  around  the  roots,  and  gently  pull  the  crypt  out.
 Very  little  of  the  soil  will  get  into  the  water,  it  will  cause  a  small  cloud,  but  it  will  not  be  any  trouble.   Whatever  little  does  get  into  the  water,  allow  it  to  settle  down,  on  plants  leaves,  substrate  whereever,  then  siphon  it  out.

Restart  the  filter  after  you  siphon  out  the  loose  substrate.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: